• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Shoot'em Ups / Shmups / STGs Release Archive

Back when Strania came out on Steam, I think I posted in this very thread hoping for DUO on Steam next. The sales figures made me fear for those chances, definitely.

This is an amazing announcement.

I think that without Degica and the collaboration with Chara-Ani we wouldnt have got this game at all, the sales figures for Strania must have made it impossible for G-Rev to consider self publishing again.

Im hoping it builds a decent online community as thats where the game really shines imho.

PantsuJo

What are the chances of getting other Dreamcast and/or 360 shooters on Steam?

For example, is Triggerheart Exelica possible?

I think you could see some of the Milestone games come over to steam as they are still quite active are have put out collections in the past.

But companies like Warashi are another thing altogether. I just checked and they dont even have an active website anymore, god knows where the rights to those games are as they have not done anything for the best part of a decade now.

With such small companies its hard to know if they are dormant or really gone.

It is hard to get a sense of how successful anything is with this genre. AFAIK, any time questioned, Degica says they are happy with how the stuff they put out on Steam is doing. And not that I think they are lying, or anything silly, it is hard to know what that really means.

It is no secret that shmups are hardly killing it in sales, regardless of platform, however we are seeing a fairly regular trickle of ports across consoles and PC and it that looks to be continuing so I'd say chances are decent?

It is hard to get a sense of how successful anything is with this genre. AFAIK, any time questioned, Degica says they are happy with how the stuff they put out on Steam is doing. And not that I think they are lying, or anything silly, it is hard to know what that really means.

It is no secret that shmups are hardly killing it in sales, regardless of platform, however we are seeing a fairly regular trickle of ports across consoles and PC and it that looks to be continuing so I'd say chances are decent?

Degica has an amazingly diversified portfolio. Fighting games, RPG Maker, visual novels, completely unknown indie games, enhanced PS4 ports - they don't have to bank on any one game outperforming.

I think they have a pretty good idea of how much each game will sell, and how to budget and set prices to come out in the black.

(Case in point: no plans, it seems, for Ginga Force as a follow-up to Eschatos. It's a stupidly text-heavy game for how much it would sell, and it would be a hard sell with the atrocious artwork.)

Degica has an amazingly diversified portfolio. Fighting games, RPG Maker, visual novels, completely unknown indie games, enhanced PS4 ports - they don't have to bank on any one game outperforming.

I think they have a pretty good idea of how much each game will sell, and how to budget and set prices to come out in the black.

True, though I am recalling specifically a query about their Cave output. It was a while back though so would take a bit to track down the source. Might have been the interview they did on STG Weekly.

Looks like that interview was from the Mushi launch so definitely not what I am thinking, however lots of good discussion similar to this for anyone interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrDLHU_-Z8

Case in point: no plans, it seems, for Ginga Force as a follow-up to Eschatos. It's a stupidly text-heavy game for how much it would sell, and it would be a hard sell with the atrocious artwork.)

I know Cave chose which games were to be released on Steam so I wonder how much say Degica have in what is released when they agree to work with a developer?

I think Qute are right in the middle of getting Natsuki Chronicle together so maybe when that is done we will get a Ginga Force port. And yeah the character portraits leave a lot to be desired but in game I cant think of a single better looking polygon based shmup, its beautiful.

Tain

Ginga Force is surprisingly good-looking outside of that one terrain level.

Not a big fan of the upgrade structure of it, though. Ultimately I enjoyed Eschatos more.

PantsuJo

I'm also curious about Treasure: where are they?

I don't understand, after Ikaruga I was hoping for Radiant Silvergun on Steam but nothing

I don't understand, after Ikaruga I was hoping for Radiant Silvergun on Steam but nothing

You get the feeling that they expected Ikaruga to sell much more on name recognition. They did go all-out to commission new artwork and everything.

What I find really weird is that Ikaruga just straight-up failed to reclaim its old popularity on Steam. There are so many classic games on Steam where all the old fans came out of the woodwork in support for the re-release or the remaster. Ikaruga used to be the shmup to own, and now on Steam it barely even comes up in the recommendation algorithm.

Frankly, Nier: Automata is the spiritual successor to Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga if there ever was one.

Does Treasure own the Radiant Silvergun IP?

they do but microsoft paid for and own the rights to the xbox live version, any new port would likely have to be developed from the ground up.

treasure is seemingly is the same situation as the smalls devs i was dicussing earlier, unable to finance any new games and only able to manage their existing catalogue.

Momentary

Banned
Ginga Force is surprisingly good-looking outside of that one terrain level.

Not a big fan of the upgrade structure of it, though. Ultimately I enjoyed Eschatos more.

I was hoping this would come over eventually. I was hoping they would give it the same 4K treatment as Eschatos.

What I find really weird is that Ikaruga just straight-up failed to reclaim its old popularity on Steam. There are so many classic games on Steam where all the old fans came out of the woodwork in support for the re-release or the remaster. Ikaruga used to be the shmup to own, and now on Steam it barely even comes up in the recommendation algorithm.
Ikaruga did about as well as could be expected for what to the mainstream gamer is a dead genre. In fact it probably hasn't sold much less than all the console versions combined.

Those "old fans" you refer to belong to far larger and well known genre types, it not an equivalent comparison.

Frankly, Nier: Automata is the spiritual successor to Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga if there ever was one.
Not even close.

PantsuJo

I was thinking about other shooters release on 360 (Akai Katana, Guwange, Omega Five) ... I hope to see one of these on Steam, someday.
Well, a man can hope.

Redarding the comparison Ikaruga-Nier (as "spiritual successor"), well... I can't agree, honestly :/

I have been out of the loop with the shoot’em up genre, but have been recently really itching to play one. Are there any shumps available on Steam that are widely considered fantastic/must play?

The ones that I have on Steam already are:
- Ikaruga
- Sine Mora
- Jamestown

Tain

I have been out of the loop with the shoot’em up genre, but have been recently really itching to play one. Are there any shumps available on Steam that are widely considered fantastic/must play?

- Ikaruga
- Sine Mora
- Jamestown

If you don't have any Cave games, you should absolutely get Mushihimesama.

Deathsmiles and DoDonPachi Resurrection are great, too, but those can come after.

PantsuJo

- Ikaruga
- Sine Mora
- Jamestown

Crimzon
Clover

Thank me later.

- Ikaruga
- Sine Mora
- Jamestown

Mecha Ritz, Kamui and Darius Burst are great and whilst not on Steam Battle Traverse is a must imho.

- Ikaruga
- Sine Mora
- Jamestown

You're gonna want to get Crimzon Clover, Dodonpachi Resurrection, and Mushihimesama.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm going to pick up Mushihimesama and Crimzon Clover for now. DoDonPachi is getting wishlisted for when it's on sale.

Danmaku Unlimited 3 is currently on sale (30% off) on Steam until the 8th May.

header.jpg

Store Page

Tain

idk, I think that Daifukkatsu is one of the less-liked mainline DDP games and nobody dislikes Crimzon Clover lol.

They're both must-owns I think, don't know which I prefer yet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/861633541582532612

The next PC Degica release is Castle of Shikigami.

I'm pretty positive this is the first game, but I really want it to be the third game. Hopefully we'll get there eventually.

Does the original Shikigami have a decent release anywhere? I think it came out on the ps2 in Japan and Europe, but I dunnno if that port was any good. Interesting choice, in any case.

Tain

The original game is on Xbox, Windows, and PS2 at home. The PS2 version got a US release as Mobile Light Force 2 lol.

From what I've played, it's pretty rough-edged. Full of pre-rendered sprites that are kinda ugly and nonsense and heavily-reused. Shikigami no Shiro 2 was a big leap up. That one got released on a million platforms in Japan but I think just PS2 (maybe GameCube as well edit nope) in the US.

Does the original Shikigami have a decent release anywhere? I think it came out on the ps2 in Japan and Europe, but I dunnno if that port was any good. Interesting choice, in any case.

i have the jp ps2 port and it seems solid although i dont have to arcade version to compare it too.

and yeah it got released pretty much everywhere...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikigami_no_Shiro

whilst i welcome any stg on steam was really hoping for momoiro underground.

PantsuJo

https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/861633541582532612

The next PC Degica release is Castle of Shikigami.

I'm pretty positive this is the first game, but I really want it to be the third game. Hopefully we'll get there eventually.
Oooh Nice!

Edit:
No idea why you think its unpopular to regard CC as being better than DFK, its THE opinion!
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59703
Because I fought a lot of "battles" on FB groups and forums, years ago, to support this opinion lol

Glad a lot of people think the same ^^

Tain

Despite its 2001 release, the original Shikigami no Shiro ran on the PS1-based Taito G-NET platform.

Tech-wise I think all the home versions are just like the arcade version but higher-res and with texture filtering.

All three games were already ported to PC, so the technical overhead should be lower than Degica's other recent Steam ports?

(Not that I know how technically sound these early 2000s Japanese Windows ports were... or if the rights to the ports might be in the hands of the port developer.)

Tain

All three games were already ported to PC, so the technical overhead should be lower than Degica's other recent Steam ports?

(Not that I know how technically sound these early 2000s Japanese Windows ports were... or if the rights to the ports might be in the hands of the port developer.)

Yeah, I think so. Degica confirmed that this will be a new localization, too, so I would assume that any sort of minor modern cleanup that needs to be done (XInput support) will be done.

Super XYX on Greenlight

Super XYX : Classic arcade style vertical shooting

Features:
- 6 Stages
- 3 Playable Ships (+3 Unlockable ones), each with unique weaponry and screen clearing bomb attacks
- Optional True Final Boss
- Unlockable Boss Rush and Checkpoint Mode for true arcade masochists

- Gamepad support
- Fully rebindable keys
- TATE and YOKO (bordered with separate HUD) screen orientations

Based on the original (unfinished) 2009 version of the game, Super XYX both completes and expands upon it significantly.

Note from the artist/XYX creator (Gryzor): this is only related to Neo XYX/Zaikusu in as far as it is also based on the original. This uses none of the assets I created specifically for that game; but it does use various ideas that did not make it into the final product (due to limited time, creative differences with NGDev or hardware restrictions of the NG.)

Top Bottom