• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Shoot'em Ups / Shmups / STGs Release Archive

PantsuJo

Guys, I read about Caladrius Blaze patch 1.01 on Steam (fixes various crash on Intel HD graphics).

Can someone test it on integrated GPU, please? I know it crashed a lot on Intel HD 4xxx/5xxx series, would love to buy it now if it's fixed.

(Mine is HD 4400)

Hereafter

I was playing Super Galaxy Squadron EX and it's my first shumup in years.

I noticed that in the first boss, the bullet pattern was too fast and hard to see for me. It is normal for anyone else? I was playing on a plasma and using a DS4 connected via bluetooth.

Maybe there was too much lag?

I was playing Super Galaxy Squadron EX and it's my first shumup in years.

I noticed that in the first boss, the bullet pattern was too fast and hard to see for me. It is normal for anyone else? I was playing on a plasma and using a DS4 connected via bluetooth.

Maybe there was too much lag?

That is the fatal flaw of this game: the boss bullet patterns are far faster than the average game and too fast for human reaction, period. The developer has the wrong idea about what is fair.

I can't beat the final boss even on the lowest difficulty with infinite lives, after 50 tries or so. You have to get past two phases, with no checkpoint in between, and even getting to the second phase entirely comes down to luck.

Hereafter

That is the fatal lag hflaw of this game: the boss bullet patterns are far faster than the average game and too fast for human reaction, period. The developer has the wrong idea about what is fair.

I can't beat the final boss even on the lowest difficulty with infinite lives, after 50 tries or so. You have to get past two phases, with no checkpoint in between, and even getting to the second phase entirely comes down to luck.

Thanks for the response.

I was afraid that my old age and input lag have finally got the best of me lol.

ChryZ

That is the fatal flaw of this game: the boss bullet patterns are far faster than the average game and too fast for human reaction, period. The developer has the wrong idea about what is fair.

Huh? It's been a while, I sort of second guessed myself after reading these comments. I just checked the game and cleared it again. I was pretty rusty and it took me three tries to get through the final phases. I can't second, the bullets being too fast. It's still kinda mean, that there are zero invincibility frames after a hit, but the scraping mechanic and the health drops offset that inconvenience (if you can manage the shock without fumbling).

Momentary

Banned
I've been waiting to try out bullet souls for quite some times. Hopefully they at least include some sort of resolution options. While I do enjoy some of these polygonal shoot'em ups... they are looking pretty ruff on my 4k and 1440p screens.

Momentary

Banned
Danmaku Unlimited 3 is finally out!

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/450950/?snr=1_4_4__106

Tain

Caladrius is more fun than I expected. Is there any trick to getting the orange extend fragments, or are they just hidden in fixed enemies?

Caladrius is more fun than I expected. Is there any trick to getting the orange extend fragments, or are they just hidden in fixed enemies?
They are from set enemies and I think a few destructable background elements but been a while since I played it so don't quote me on that.

Some are in specific large enemies and boss parts, and some are in a randomized small enemy in a particular wave.

Fudo Myo

Bullet Soul has been released for those interested.

Anyone pick this up yet? I just bought it and credit-fed it to the end.

Bullet patterns become a nightmare for the last few stages. The controls feel a bit spongey to me, I've experimented with the left stick settings in the menu. Still haven't found a setting I like.

The graphics and artwork are absolutely stunning, some of the best of any shmup I've played. Love the enemies.

StayDead

I love Schmups. I'm not very good at them, but I always love throwing myself into them.

Some of my favourites include Ketsuii (has this got a Steam release yet?), Guwange, Dodonpachi and Mushihimesama.

I've recently, while they've not come out on PC AFAIK been playing through Thunderforce 3 on my 3DS and ASO II on my Switch. I always try and go for a 1CC, but I'm nowhere near good enough haha.

PantsuJo

Some of my favourites include Ketsuii (has this got a Steam release yet?), Guwange, Dodonpachi and Mushihimesama.

Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi are on Steam, Ketsui and Guwange not, unfortunately.

But I think there are high chance of getting one of these two on Steam this year.

I will get things updated soon. I can't believe PC Gamer actually wrote an article about Shmups.

Incredible, what a time to be a shmup player :D

Tain

Didn't CAVE say they're eventually releasing more on the PC?

The original plan was three games, and then more based on sales. I expect to see more.

I do not expect that these games are selling enough to fund a new *original* Cave 2D shooter, but I'd like to be wrong.

The original plan was three games, and then more based on sales. I expect to see more.

I do not expect that these games are selling enough to fund a new *original* Cave 2D shooter, but I'd like to be wrong.

If we don't hear anything in the next few months I'm starting to fear their Steam efforts may be considered a failed endeavor. :\

We'll see if Matsuri brings anything, but it has been a year since the last announcement.

M2's PS4 port of Dangun Feveron is the only public Cave STG related thing happening at the moment, right?

I want to call attention to an old (2008ish) free indie game that very few have probably played, or even heard of, and has been on my mind lately. It isn't so much a typical shoot 'em up, with its biggest influence being another game also likely very few have heard of called Urthwurm, but all the same I think it will be relevant to the interest of STG fans. Also, it is free so, hey, who can complain.

It may look simple, but is deceptively extremely demanding and very rewarding. Some good hidden unlocks, as well. Make sure to give the readme a glance as there are some subtle mechanics that may not be immediately obvious.

THRUSTBURST - Video

title.png

entrance.png

tank_and_turret.png

PantsuJo

I want to call attention to an old (2008ish) free indie game that very few have probably played, or even heard of, and has been on my mind lately. It isn't so much a typical shoot 'em up, with its biggest influence being another game also likely very few have heard of called Urthwurm, but all the same I think it will be relevant to the interest of STG fans. Also, it is free so, hey, who can complain.

It may look simple, but is deceptively extremely demanding and very rewarding. Some good hidden unlocks, as well. Make sure to give the readme a glance as there are some subtle mechanics that may not be immediately obvious.

THRUSTBURST - Video

title.png

entrance.png

tank_and_turret.png
It seems cool! Thank you for the post!

By the way, The Hurricane of the Varstray has new DLC. New playable characters in what seems to be a crossover promotion with some other brand.

Dinjoralo

Among other problems, mumble grumble...
Bullet Soul is coming to Steam:

http://5pb.jp/games/steam/bulletsoul/en/

Unconfirmed details:

release date April 7th, 1,480 yen (USD price pending)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544580/ (not up yet)
https://steamdb.info/app/544580/subs/
Need this need this need this need this need this
By the way, The Hurricane of the Varstray has new DLC. New playable characters in what seems to be a crossover promotion with some other brand.
This reminds me, I need to actually play Varstray. If only I didn't have to play in a smallish window. :p

How is the DLC? I felt the base game was a bit too long for my tastes.

The DLC is weird.

It's a new 4-level story/arcade mode with two loops, completely separate from the main game, except that it adds new subweapons that you can unlock for the main game.

The new levels are harder than the main game. All the enemies are new and have more health in general.

You can't use the main game's characters in the DLC, or vice versa, but the new characters are just "prequel" designs for the hidden characters from the main game. They play the same between both campaigns.

And... the new story mode turns out to be promoting some kind of Japanese UFO conspiracy theorist magazine? It seems to be a fringe publication that's still fixated on X-Files era stuff. All the enemies seem to be based on specific UFO sightings, and you can unlock a gallery of grainy, dubious UFO photos.

If you remember the level of Engrish in the main game, now imagine that caliber of translation mixed with screenfuls of dialogue ranting about greys and the US military. I honestly can't tell if this is supposed to be serious, satire, or some kind of mix.

There's a bundle now with the base game, DLC, and DLC soundtrack... but you can't buy it if you already own the base game. And the DLC is, for some reason, itself bundled with a separate license for the main game, which can never be redeemed to your account because... Steam doesn't let you buy any DLC without the base game anyway.

This is what Hiroyuki Maruyama had to say about Border Down getting a port or remaster.

”Border Down is an even older title than Under Defeat, but unlike with UD we feel like we still have unfinished ideas that we would like implement. Because of that we would have to invest quite a lot of resources to remake Border Down. It would probably require the same investment as developing a new title from scratch. Of course, part of me wants to remake Border Down, but I am also the head of Grev and therefore have to think in business terms. So for now we are not planning to remake BD, but give us some time and we perhaps can make it happen in the future".

So considering that the investment would be the same as developing a completely new game we are going to need to see far better sales than Strania has achieved so far with this DUO remaster / revision.

So considering that the investment would be the same as developing a completely new game we are going to need to see far better sales than Strania has achieved so far with this DUO remaster / revision.

TBH, I wonder if this game has the kind of audience to support that kind of investment. here's hoping!

Back when Strania came out on Steam, I think I posted in this very thread hoping for DUO on Steam next. The sales figures made me fear for those chances, definitely.

This is an amazing announcement.

Top Bottom