• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Shoot'em Ups / Shmups / STGs Release Archive

I'm thrilled RV is coming to PC. Definitely picking it up there.

If it came to PC, I assumed it would be a Windows Store / Play Anywhere deal thanks to the X1 exclusivity, but it looks like the PS4 release blew that wide open.

Fancolors

Good things RV isn't going to be W10 store exclusive. It's already hard enough to convince people to try games that are on Steam

Momentary

Banned
I hope that having UFO as a publisher gives us more than straight port. These polygonal shooters would benefit from some 4K. Eschatos, Ikaruga, and Dariusburst are the only polygonal games I know of that offer that... But I believe most of these games are made to where the playfield doesn't scale with resolution. So while the game does look better you get trapped in a tiny invisible box.

Fancolors

Has GOG ever clarified why they won't have more shmups on their store? I remember a Degica rep saying they couldn't get Mushihimesama for some reason.

ArjanN

Has GOG ever clarified why they won't have more shmups on their store? I remember a Degica rep saying they couldn't get Mushihimesama for some reason.

I think it really is just that shmups are niche and they don't think they sell well enough to make it worth their while.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Because they're stupid. They didn't explicitly say it, but if you look at the games they do allow on their store, it's very clear.

Drifting Lands appears to finally be out of Early Access. This is the weird one with abilities and loot.

header.jpg

Fancolors

Drifting Lands look interesting (and pretty!), but I'm not sure if I want a Diablo-esque progression on a shmup. Strafe soured me on mixing things I like with randomly generated content. I might wait for it to leave early access before I touch it

PantsuJo

I didn't know about this until yesterday but better later than never:

Cho Ren Sha 68k Windows ver. updated after 12 years!!! [Link HERE]

The new version is fully compatible with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and I think it solved a lot of sounds bugs.

Honestly I played CHR68k on Windows 10 few months ago and sound bugs were the only ones noticeable, in my system.

The new version is fully compatible with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and I think it solved a lot of sounds bugs.

There is one more bug if you use desktop scaling in Windows (due to native resolution making the UI too small for your monitor). The game will always render at native resolution, ignoring scaling, and will always run full-screen.

The solution seems to be to get a third-party utility that can force games to run windowed.

KDR_11k

Drifting Lands look interesting (and pretty!), but I'm not sure if I want a Diablo-esque progression on a shmup. Strafe soured me on mixing things I like with randomly generated content. I might wait for it to leave early access before I touch it

As HiddenWings said, it's out of early access NOW.

It's a very Darius-esque shooter, the randomization is limited so I'd compare the experience to the CS mode of DBCS where you see a ton of similar content in slightly different configurations. Things tend to take a lot of hits to kill though.

Fancolors

Blue Revolver just got a 700mb patch

http://steamcommunity.com/games/439490/announcements/detail/1336855736851114826

Leaderboards / Replays
  • Replay functionality available. The game will prompt you to save a replay upon finishing a run.
  • Leaderboard functionality available through Steam. You can upload your score to the leaderboards alongside saving a replay.
  • Note that using the "Continue" function will disable replays and leaderboard upload for that run.
  • Note: Due to technical reasons, replay and leaderboard functionality is Windows-only.

Weapon Changes
  • Increased the unfocused damage for both Wide shot types.
  • Increased damage across the board for Variable shot types.
  • Improved the handling for Val Variable shot type.
  • The unfocused player speed is now slightly modified according to the shot type selected. Power shot is unaffected. (Power > Variable > Wide)
  • Val's Hyper Laser is now a powerful single-shot beam with splash damage. Versatile and powerful, but inefficient.
  • Change to scoring mechanics for Defense weapons: Flourish mode activates as soon as the button is pushed, flourish drains slower while defense weapons are active.
  • Cluster Missiles now deal damage more consistently over their area of effect.

Dynamic Difficulty Adjustments (Hyper Mode Only)
  • Upon hitting Rank Level 5, the bar will drain instead of increase, until the player is back at Level 4.
  • The drain rate is affected by the number of lives in stock - less lives, less time in Level 5.
  • Dying at Level 4 or 5 will reduce rank to Level 3.
  • Dying at Level 3 or under will reduce rank to Level 1.

Experimental Weapon Mode
  • Experimental Weapon mode is available! You have no bombs and a weak main gun, but access to 3 new special weapons.
  • Each special weapon can be purchased in the Unlocks menu.
  • Scrap Option - The shotgun-like explosive options from "Experimental Weapon". Excellent screen coverage.
  • Plasma Blade - Val's short-range, fast-firing variant of the Plasma Lancer. Great efficiency.
  • Junk Cannon - Fires streams of sticky, damaging junk data. Massive damage.
  • Ammo refills slowly on its own - collecting score items will also refill it.
  • Game difficulty locked to Hyper mode.
  • Score items are harder to collect.

Break Guide
  • Break Guide is available in the Extras menu! You can now view a short clip of each break bonus being performed.

The Small Stuff
  • Kiosk mode is now a command-line switch (-kiosk) instead of a gameplay option.
  • Lowered the draw priority of special weapon projectiles. This should lower the number of cases where they are drawn over enemy bullets. ​
  • Fixed a bug where the “bomber” enemy in stage 2 does something very strange when it leaves.
  • Changed the way the main menu is drawn to make it more readable.
  • Added “Stage Clear” text to intermission screen.
  • Fixed a bug with the rank bar on Normal difficulty.
  • Fixed a bug with progress achievements and the free play option.

This is your reminder that if you have Dodonpachi Resurrection on Steam, get the Black Label soundtracks now during the summer sale.

Can't buy them at a reasonable price anywhere else, but here you even get FLAC copies. I've been waiting for so long to own these.

Actually, I'm doing a roundup of buying all the soundtrack DLC for the shmups I own. Will also be buying the soundtracks for The Hurricane of the Varstray and Trouble Witches Origin. Anything else get stealth-released over the last year?

PantsuJo

GAF, there is a lot of updates for the Degica shmups: the entire "Zeal" saga was just updated and Shmup skill test too.

Also, Ghost Blade is on Steam: do you recommend it?

GAF, there is a lot of updates for the Degica shmups: the entire "Zeal" saga was just updated and Shmup skill test too.

Also, Ghost Blade is on Steam: do you recommend it?

Ghost Blade HD is a solid, pretty looking shmup. The port is good, has TATE mode. Kind of shallow though in my opinion.

At the price it is right now ($7 USD) I'd personally pick up Blue Revolver instead ($7.5 0USD) for a much higher quality shmup, unless you really prefer 3D!

PantsuJo

Ghost Blade HD is a solid, pretty looking shmup. The port is good, has TATE mode. Kind of shallow though in my opinion.

At the price it is right now ($7 USD) I'd personally pick up Blue Revolver instead ($7.5 0USD) for a much higher quality shmup, unless you really prefer 3D!
Oh thank you for the suggestion, I already have Blue Revolver, it's so cool!

Well, I think I'm gonna buy Ghost Blade if it's good

What would you guys recommend to get from the current steam sale? I will probably pick up the Cave games (I hope they are ok, some people on the Steam forums are complaining about port quality).
What else to get?

PantsuJo

What would you guys recommend to get from the current steam sale? I will probably pick up the Cave games (I hope they are ok, some people on the Steam forums are complaining about port quality).
What else to get?

They are good ports (especially after the multiple patches released in the past months). Some users used to hate Degica works simply because Cave games were re-released... not on PS4/One but on PC; so just imagine the reaction here on GAF. (Edit: in some threads)

Well, I'll write here my shmups full list so maybe you can find something you like (few are not "classic shmups" but they are very good).
I bolded the game I highly reccomend:

• Accelleration of Suguri X-Edition
  • Alltynex Second
  • Armed Seven
  • Armored Hunter GUNHOUND EX
  • Assault Suit Leynos
  • Astebreed
  • Battle Crust
  • Blue Revolver
  • BULLET SOUL
  • Caladrius Blaze
  • Castle of Shikigami
  • Cloudphobia
  • Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION (masterpiece)
  • Danmaku Unlimited 2
  • DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours
  • Deathsmiles
  • DELTAZEAL
  • Diadra Empty
  • DoDonPachi Resurrection
  • ESCHATOS
  • Ether Vapor Remaster
  • eXceed - Gun Bullet Children
  • eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
  • eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
  • EXZEAL
  • GALAK-Z
  • Gigantic Army
  • GundeadliGne
  • Gundemonium Recolletion
  • Hitogata Happa
  • The Hurricane of the Varstray
  • Ikaruga
  • JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD
  • KAMUI
  • Mushihimesama
  • NEO AQUARIUM
  • Raiden III Digital Edition
  • Raiden IV: Overkill
  • Razor2: Hidden Skies
  • Redux: Dark Matters
  • RefleX
  • RefRain -prism memories-
  • REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
  • SATAZIUS
  • Saviors
  • Shmups Skill Test
  • Steel Strider
  • Strania - The Stella Machina
  • Supercharged Robot VULKAISER
  • Syder Arcade
  • TRIZEAL Remix
  • Trouble Witches Origin - Ep. 1
  • WOLFLAME
  • XIIZEAL
  • Zenodyne R
  • Zenohell

^I'd throw Mecha Ritz onto that list.

There's 3 or 4 shmups I would buy this sale but my backlog is massive and my time is limited, so I'm going to abstain. Maybe.

ChryZ

They are good ports (especially after the multiple patches released in the past months). Some users used to hate Degica works simply because Cave games were re-released... not on PS4/One but on PC; so just imagine the reaction here on GAF. (Edit: in some threads)

Well, I'll write here my shmups full list so maybe you can find something you like (few are not "classic shmups" but they are very good).

• Alltynex Second
  • Armed Seven
  • Assault Suit Leynos
  • Astebreed
  • Battle Crust
  • Blue Revolver
  • BULLET SOUL
  • Caladrius Blaze
  • Castle of Shikigami
  • Cloudphobia
  • Danmaku Unlimited 2
  • Deathsmiles
  • DELTAZEAL
  • Diadra Empty
  • ESCHATOS
  • Ether Vapor Remaster
  • EXZEAL
  • GALAK-Z
  • Gigantic Army
  • GundeadliGne
  • Hitogata Happa
  • Ikaruga
  • JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD
  • KAMUI
  • Mushihimesama
  • NEO AQUARIUM
  • RefleX
  • SATAZIUS
  • Saviors
  • Shmups Skill Test
  • Steel Strider
  • Syder Arcade
  • TRIZEAL Remix
  • WOLFLAME
  • XIIZEAL
  • Zenodyne R
  • Zenohell
Great list, you should also add Fire Arrow Plus. It's from the same peeps which made Zenohell and Zenodyne R. Sky Force Anniversary is also excellent and highly regarded.

• Alltynex Second
  • Armed Seven
  • Assault Suit Leynos
  • Astebreed
  • Battle Crust
  • Blue Revolver
  • BULLET SOUL
  • Caladrius Blaze
  • Castle of Shikigami
  • Cloudphobia
  • Danmaku Unlimited 2
  • Deathsmiles
  • DELTAZEAL
  • Diadra Empty
  • ESCHATOS
  • Ether Vapor Remaster
  • EXZEAL
  • GALAK-Z
  • Gigantic Army
  • GundeadliGne
  • Hitogata Happa
  • Ikaruga
  • JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD
  • KAMUI
  • Mushihimesama
  • NEO AQUARIUM
  • RefleX
  • SATAZIUS
  • Saviors
  • Shmups Skill Test
  • Steel Strider
  • Syder Arcade
  • TRIZEAL Remix
  • WOLFLAME
  • XIIZEAL
  • Zenodyne R
  • Zenohell
Thanks a lot, mate! I have about a dozen of those, will check out the rest. I bought Deathsmiles and can report back that it is a much different experience than the iPad version, very intense. I wish there was better resolution scaling, with the zoom option I either have a background line on top or
I'm missing a line from the screen. Why not just have a "full screen correct AR" option?

Then I wanted to report that I discovered an incredibly silly small game that was surprisingly fun though: Deep Space Waifus. Gameplay consists of shooting enemies and articles of clothing from oversized anime dolls. For $1.20 I was well entertained, and I choose to see it as satire instead of something mean-spirited.

Tain

Version 1.0.2 just released.

They added the vertical mode, improved controls and resolution settings.

You know, while they are implementing things that I asked for on random message boards, I'd love to see a point filtering mode. The character sprites are sooo blurry, even relative to the rest of the screen when I crank the resolution real low, that I think I'd prefer all textures to be nearest neighbor.

but idk, hard to picture how this will look overall. Maybe I can force it externally.

PantsuJo

Thanks a lot, mate! I have about a dozen of those, will check out the rest.
You're welcome!

I buy every shmup at day one, if I can, so that's explain my library...
But for Darius Burst I waited months because launch price was really high (for me) ^^"

But I really want to support the genre on PC, in every way.

Durante

I finally got to try RefRain - prism memories, and it really is legit. Very unique gameplay compared to other shmups, with the focus on fast recharging and destroying bullets. Love it.

Almost ashamed to say that even though I bought it at launch have not got round to playing it despite the positive impressions people have of it. The backlog is real....

finley83

Banned
Started playing Ikaruga this month and really got into it. I had it on GC years ago but it was the stuttery PAL version and it never quite clicked. This time round I'm downloading replays and finally figured out how the hell you're meant to play it! Feel I may have stepped into an enormous rabbit hole...

Only thing I'm missing is the slow motion practice mode from the GC version, that would be really helpful about now. Other than that it seems a pretty great port!

Anyone know if the enemy layout matches the original arcade version? I heard some changes were made for the 360 version of which this is apparently a port.

also now I want to try Radiant Silvergun but for some reason that's not on Steam...

also now I want to try Radiant Silvergun but for some reason that's not on Steam...

Microsoft paid Treasure to produce the port so Steam is very unlikely, it was just made backwards compatible on the Xbox One though. Or be a filthy pirate and emulate it!

finley83

Banned
I wonder if you could sort of fake this by limiting the frame rate to 30fps using RTSS or something

Hm, that's a good suggestion. Will try that when I'm back home!

Microsoft paid Treasure to produce the port so Steam is very unlikely, it was just made backwards compatible on the Xbox One though. Or be a filthy pirate and emulate it!

Thanks, that's a shame. Can't afford an Xbone for the sake of one game! Presumably Saturn version would be the best to emulate? That version seems to be ridiculously expensive unfortunately!

Top Bottom