• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' trailer #4

It's his best movie though.
Sicario is by far his worst, but I haven't seen Polytechnique and Maelström, so they could be worse I guess.

I highly disagree. Sicario is right up there with Silence of the Lambs and Seven as one of the best thrillers of all-time. As much as I like Prisoners, it's definitely his weakest film imo.

Zakalwe

Banned
Alien -> Aliens

Not saying this is going to even be decent, but the "lol action" crowd don't seem to understand sequels can be different /and/ great.

Dadasch

I highly disagree. Sicario is right up there with Silence of the Lambs and Seven as one of the best thrillers of all-time. As much as I like Prisoners, it's definitely his weakest film imo.
Seeing Sicario compared (especially) with Se7en hurts. For me Se7en is like the prototype of a modern thriller and is as such definitely in my Top10. Everything about this masterpiece just bursts with creativity - unlike Sicario, which offers a dragged out storyline with generic characters and a boring "fighting illegal activities with illegal methods" theme. It was utterly boring for me - not exaggerating btw - and I was at the verge of leaving the theater, but at least the second half was better.
PS: I'd name Prisoners right after Sicario for his weakest movies.

Get'sMad

counterpoint to all you have faith in Villeneuve bros

why?

he makes pretty decent films, that look good, well written and sound good but ultimately feel hollow and boring to me and I never will bother to re-watch...

Ridley totally fluked into making this and Alien as all time classics but their weirdness and greatness are totally products of their time.....I don't buy the argument because DV "understands" what made the film better than Ridley will result in a great or even average film. This will look nice, get decent to average reviews but ultimately be forgettable. I hope I'm wrong though....

counterpoint to all you have faith in Villeneuve bros

why?

he makes pretty decent films, that look good, well written and sound good but ultimately feel hollow and boring to me and I never will bother to re-watch...

Ridley totally fluked into making this and Alien as all time classics but their weirdness and greatness are totally products of their time.....I don't buy the argument because DV "understands" what made the film better than Ridley will result in a great or even average film. This will look nice, get decent to average reviews but ultimately be forgettable. I hope I'm wrong though....
Sicario and Arrival aren't forgettable nor are they hollow and they both received huge critical acclaim. So.. if you think he's just an okay director, that's your beef and there's no meeting a middle ground or convincing you since most critics seem to think he's a great director. I mean, I'm not usually the type to point to rotten tomatoes and go "you're wrong," but predicting that this film will get decent to average reviews and then be forgotten because he has a history of receiving middling reviews seems like a disingenuous premise. If you wanna say he's overrated then that's fine and you're entitled to that. But to say that his films receive decent to average reviews is false. His english language output has been above average.

Personally I'm excited to watch a big budget Villeneuve-directed 2.5 hour cyberpunk film.

Get'sMad

Sicario and Arrival aren't forgettable nor are they hollow and they both received huge critical acclaim. So.. if you think he's just an okay director, that's your beef and there's no meeting a middle ground or convincing you since most critics seem to think he's a great director.

Personally I'm excited to watch a big budget Villeneuve-directed 2.5 hour cyberpunk film.

I totally understand you're argument and I get people who like Villeneueve films even if I find him pretty boring.....

but again...everything about blade runner is just such a bizarre and unique film that I just think its a fools game to try and a make sequel to it...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Outside of Suicide Squad, Jared Leto is a pretty solid actor. He's a much better actor than he is a musician.

He's not even bad in Suicide Squad, it's just a bad take on The Joker and that's David Ayer's fault. Jared Leto was great in that short that got released the other day, so I have no doubt he will be able to do the same performance in the movie.

I totally understand you're argument and I get people who like Villeneueve films even if I find him pretty boring.....

but again...everything about blade runner is just such a bizarre and unique film that I just think its a fools game to try and a make sequel to it...

I have friends who have found Blade Runner boring and came out of it even hating it because they had their expectations set so high from its cult status. At the end of the day I guess they're just two different brands of boring. You could like Ridley's brand of boring more than Villeneuve's brand of boring.

Get'sMad

I have friends who have found Blade Runner boring and came out of it even hating it because they had their expectations set so high from its cult status. At the end of the day I guess they're just two different brands of boring. You could like Ridley's brand of boring more than Villeneuve's brand of boring.

Its my favorite film of all time and some of best friends fuckin hate it...but Villeneuves take being boring is not what I'm worried about at all tbh...

AGAIN I want this film to be great and I want to love y'all just understand us "haters" have very real concerns!!!

Melon Husk

There's something wrong with the interior scenes too. The opening one for example. Looks oddly dry.

The interiors are really plain compared to Ridley's movies. I mean look at this, it's like a painting:
XYiXJc4.png

Here's a modern apartment with a futuristic gadget on the wall:
rBe0qmd.png

Maybe more smoke would help /s (because the exteriors have it and they look good)

zoukka

It's kinda crazy how there's absolutely zero redeeming qualities to be seen in that trailer: music, visuals, plot, acting, art direction... all look mediocre at best.

Why do the sets look so empty?

Still looking too clean, like it's ignoring what made the aesthetics in the first so memorable. Needs way more grit

Agree with these two

Also world needs less dull orange and grey and needs more Neon. Is this one set on Mars?

It looks like a low budget (bad) fan made sequel to me so far

Re-watching the 1st seems a way better option than having to sit through this

kyser73

This is obviously the 'action' trailer, whereas the previous ones were 'oooo mysteries'. How some of you are parsing that into 'OMFG Beyrunner2049 amirite?!?' I don't know.

Sicario (which I only saw recently thanks to Gaf) immediately became one of my favourite movies, and I've seen enough of Villeneuve's movies to be confident he'll make a better film than the original...whether it'll be as loved I don't know.

That love in and of itself is a problem for the original. It's been my favourite movie for 3 decades, but its shift from cult classic to critical darling has put way too much weight on it, so I'm not surprised a lot of people coming to it now are disappointed that it very much isn't the Greatest Movie Of All Time.

As for the clean aesthetic...first off it's very much Villeneuve's aesthetic. He's got a different visual style to Scott, and while it's very different to the original I'm glad it isn't Ridleys Light Shafts Through Smoke & Fan Blades Mk2. I'd also argue that interior design trends change over time, so the move from opulent/decadent to a more spartan aesthetic in the 30 years separating the two stories makes sense, especially in light of the events detailed in the timeline & 2036 shorts.

Poster looks like ass tho.

Ashhong

All of them.

Find me a comparable trailer, because I can't.

The point is that trailers are not indicative of the final movie. I would rather trust Villes proven history over a marketing item that's been known to be deceptive time and time again.

Frankly each trailer makes this movie look worse.

This is so true.

Blade Runner is my fav movie ever, and I know it's almost impossible to get a new movie able to match that level of perfection, but still is possible to make something pretty good, and so far, I just can't see it in all these trailers.

Dany

Banned
There are too many LTTP threads of Blade Runner. Buy anywho I finally have seen the 1982 film (final cut) and greatly enjoyed it. A visually stunning and enthralling movie. No wonder it's been revered for such a long time.

I mostly saw Blade Runner to watch this movie when it comes out. I love the director and enjoyed all of his previous films. This looks like a solid follow-up of the 1982 movie but obviously different enough.

I'm mostly curious on the tone, action and story telling 2049 will have. I just hope it's similar enough to the original movie in the 'important' ways.

jelly

The interiors are really plain compared to Ridley's movies. I mean look at this, it's like a painting:
XYiXJc4.png

Here's a modern apartment with a futuristic gadget on the wall:
rBe0qmd.png

Maybe more smoke would help /s (because the exteriors have it and they look good)

Ridley was on fire with BR.

Villeneuve isn't going out to copy Blade Runner so it definitely looks a little off, it's not bad, just neat and clean, if the story is bad then pity but I don't think the visuals will break it. Need to take in the film as a whole and decide.

Zakalwe

Banned
Lackluster?

I mean, I can see this looking disappointing to you if it doesn't fit the original and you want that so yeh, lacklustre is better. I'mm probably being needlessly pedantic here though...

Personally I think it looks great from the trailer, but it's a trailer...

I love the gothic look of the original, but I'm open to something a different.

JoeMartin

I mean, I can see this looking disappointing to you if it doesn't fit the original and you want that so yeh, lacklustre is better. I'mm probably being needlessly pedantic here though...

Personally I think it looks great from the trailer, but it's a trailer...

I love the gothic look of the original, but I'm open to something a different.

The problem was that it wasn't different. It was the same generic sound effects laid over the original soundtrack, the same generic editing, the same schlocky action; the same hallmarks of mediocrity that have permeated so many hollywood reboots.

Maybe I'm being too doom and gloom about a trailer, but fuck if this trailer isn't a completely depressing representation of the movie, however it ends up.

HeySeuss

Does anyone outside of the internet or GAF see this as being a big hit? Because I don't know anyone that even knows it exists. Sure anecdotal and all but what's this tracking at? 25-40 OW?

jett

D-Member
I know it's fun to use hyperbole, but mediocre is absurd imo.

Well it doesn't look good. So far the apparent hype for this movie is getting by on only two things: the IP and Villeneuve's track record.

Does anyone outside of the internet or GAF see this as being a big hit? Because I don't know anyone that even knows it exists. Sure anecdotal and all but what's this tracking at? 25-40 OW?

I definitely see history repeating with this franchise.

Didn't see this LA Times article posted anywhere, but it talks about some of Villeneuve's shots for the film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-0903-sneaks-blade-runner-gallery-20170903-story.html

750x422

Ubiquitous advertising was a recurring visual feature of the original ”Blade Runner," and Villeneuve picks up that motif in this scene, as Gosling's Officer K gazes at (and is gazed at by) an immense holographic ad. ”We constructed the bridge on the set, filled the stage with rain and fog, and we projected the actress on that gigantic screen," Villeneuve says. ”So the impact of the light is all real — it's not something created by a computer."

750x422

Officer K walks past cramped boxes in which some of the city's poorest residents live, an idea inspired by real-life Hong Kong low-income housing units called ”coffin cubicles." ”Part of L.A. is in ruins and doesn't have power anymore, and there are a lot of refugees coming from eastern Asia and Russia," Villeneuve says. ”To have your own apartment is a big luxury, and there are a lot of people living in boxes."

In the original ”Blade Runner," Ford's Deckard was constantly soaked by rain, but in the new film, the weather is much less predictable. In the intervening years, the climate has gone berserk due to rampant pollution, turning Los Angeles into a chilly, desolate place. ”As much as the first movie had an atmosphere of constant rain, in this one it would be colder," the director says. ”Basically, you could say that the first movie was made by a man from London, England, and the second one was made by someone from Montreal, Canada."

With the new ”Blade Runner," Villeneuve wanted to carry forward the neo-noir aesthetic of the original film, with stark, dramatic lighting as in this scene featuring Gosling and Ford. ”It's a world that is quite bleak and dark and claustrophobic, but I tried to find an equilibrium with explosions of color that would express some emotions and some themes," he says. ”The color yellow is very important in the movie and is linked with different aspects, story-wise. "

EGM1966

Run time has me very intrigued. Trailers have steadily shifted to trying to make it look like a more typical effects blockbuster but I trust it's not that (cautiously anyway).

I just hope they looked back to the actual source material and PKD in general and didn't just focus on taking first film forward as that would feel like a loss for me as I'm hoping they inject more PKD thematically into the film.

Whatever I'll have to judge it for myself in the cinema.

Mr. Tibbs

In an NYT feature, Denis Villeneuve says he considers Blade Runner 2049 the best film he's made.

It's the best movie I've ever made, I think. But I know it's going to be compared to the first one. And I'm nervous. I'm still waking up sometimes in the morning, thinking to myself, ”Oh God! I just made a sequel to ‘Blade Runner!' What the [expletive]!?"

Also covered in the interview is the Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford feud and the replicant debate.

FORD It comes up somewhere around the end of the second drink. It always comes up somehow. When we were making the first film, the conversation really was only for Ridley and myself. Somehow it got into the general conversation, because people were curious about that, and I think that's a good thing. The story, I think your options ... are somewhat preserved, for the audience.

SCOTT Deckard is a [expletive] replicant. Harrison can't disagree now, because the whole premise of this new plot is based on the fact that he's a replicant. I'm more amused by this than anything.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
SCOTT Deckard is a [expletive] replicant. Harrison can’t disagree now, because the whole premise of this new plot is based on the fact that he’s a replicant. I’m more amused by this than anything.

Well that's the end of that.

Stiler

I love Blade Runner, just waiting on the new 4k blu ray to get here so I can watch it.

I am hesitant about the movie but I am going to see it with an open mind.

The trailer so far haven't really filled me with a sense of "can't wait to see it" because something about them just seems to miss the "Blade Runner" atmosphere to me. A lot of scenes look so artificially lighted and the whole teal/orange color grading annoys me to no end in modern movies which this movie seems to have a fair share of.

Top Bottom