• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So last night I started thinking about my girlfriend on Neopets

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I remember when I was 12, Gamefaqs had a chatroom way back when, also made friends there and started talking to this girl for like a week, then I went on a trip the next weekend and never talked to her again.

there was this random guy who would talk to me on aim about xiu xiu.. i secretly dread that i know who it was and that he died this year.

That was me

Pejo

Reminds me of a girl I met in FFXI called Mewfoxgirl. As I recall, she just barely had the mechanics of the game down, and always used the wrong chat channel (usually /say when trying to talk to party or linkshell). It was hilarious because she would say seemingly random things all the time, but was really trying to respond to tells or linkshell chat.

I think all of us had a Mew in our lives at once point. Good times.

I was weird. As a kid, I got my start on the internet bonding with local then-30-somethings over a mutual love of Star Trek. We did a few regional Star Trek conventions when those were still a thing and it even went so far that I went to a gathering at one of their houses (after my older brother vetted, of course). Most of them moved away and I haven't spoken with them in years now.

This immediately precedes the phase of my internet life where literally everyone assumed I was a girl based on my choice of anime girl avatars and my apparent refined writing style.

Lubricus

Back in the day I was into Linux and was a moderator on JustLinux. Skype had just been released and we were talking to folks all over the world.
One guy in Switzerland sent me some caps with the Le Gruyere cheese logo on them. Another fellow lived on Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.
I "met" a lot of folks around the world using Skype.

Sarobi

Banned
I don't know about Neopets, but I was on GaiaOnline for years, and met a girl on there almost four years ago.. and we're together now irl :D

Edit: I feel like adding that she is also a fellow Gaffer! Her name on here is Seaklng (lol she's probably gonna kill me for mentioning this on here)

She's an 86er so she grew up in Toonami's heyday. At the time it likely would have been something along the lines of Sailor Moon or Gundam Wing.

I've grown out of the stuff but she still dabbles from time to time.

Edit: While I'm here, does anyone remember a chat website/program in the late 90s early 00s that had a bunch of rooms you could click through and you could use animated gifs broken into chunks to represent yourself? I want to say it was called "The Magic Box" or something similar but the name is failing me. I doubt it's still around but it's something that's stuck in the back of my subconcience.

I remember watching Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing with my sister, good times.

Seaklng

Banned
I don't know about Neopets, but I was on GaiaOnline for years, and met a girl on there almost four years ago.. and we're together now irl :D

Edit: I feel like adding that she is also a fellow Gaffer! Her name on here is Seaklng (lol she's probably gonna kill me for mentioning this on here)

You're so dead. Lol

You're so dead. Lol

RIP In Peace, Sarobi.

Anyone remember PurePwnage?

The Canadian video game web series, before YouTube was popular.

I spent so much time on that forum. Was a mod for the Console section for a couple years. I vividly remember my Mario Kart Wii and Brawl hype threads.

Made signatures for people, waded through the crap section, even have an old photo of a couple that met on the site holding up a sign that said they <3 me so I could prove to my friends that I wasn't making stuff up.

windz

RIP In Peace, Sarobi.

Anyone remember PurePwnage?

The Canadian video game web series, before YouTube was popular.

I spent so much time on that forum. Was a mod for the Console section for a couple years. I vividly remember my Mario Kart Wii and Brawl hype threads.

Made signatures for people, waded through the crap section, even have an old photo of a couple that met on the site holding up a sign that said they <3 me so I could prove to my friends that I wasn't making stuff up.

PurePwnage was fucking AWESOME. Loved it so much.

You're so dead. Lol

image.php

Yahoo! Chat had a Lord of the Rings chat room back in the day. I was a regular there and made a lot of good friends. I'd spend hours and hours in that chat room with these guys. I met up with a few of them at some point, too.

I still talk to a few of them, mostly the ones with whom I was very close. There's one girl, however, that I was very close with, but once the chat room closed down, we never kept in touch. That's pretty unfortunate.

Sorithin

Does anyone else remember jazzinvincible from Neopets? He was, by my knowledge, the best player as he had high scores in most games, every single avatar and the best pets. I can't be alone in remembering him. I was only like 10 at the time but I always wondered who it was.

her name might be Jupiter Sailor

man, i remember having so many pals on AIM to talk to from various games, everything felt so social. now i log into WoW and there's people everywhere but no one saying anything. feels lonely ;=;

Colin.

Man, it must be at least 15 years since I've checked in on my neopets. (and would never for the life of me remember my login) Talk about neglect.

found her in Line a few months ago b/c I still had her mobile number in my phone. sadly she never responded to my messages and I gave up.
killed me a little bit inside, so much things I wish I could tell her. But if she does not want to talk to me, she does not want to talk.

I can relate to this for sure. As someone who is anxious as fuck, and socially dim, the genuinely positive and fulfilling social relations are few and far between. So when I do hit it off with someone, it's something that really sticks with me, even after they're long gone. Which usually ends up being the end result. Whether its me, or them, or just neutral progression in different directions that's the cause for this, I really don't know. It sucks, but you're right. If there isn't effort made in both direction, it's ultimately better to just let things run its course. Apologies if that was a bit heavy, the post just struck a chord with me.

I often wonder what happened to a lot of the people I used to talk to on MSN. I was a member on a Pokémon forum but it was shut down a long time ago and MSN has since been discontinued. So I eventually lost contact with all but one of them. But, the one that I did keep in contact with I still talk to today - it's been over 12 years! Probably would've taken the friendship offline already if I hadn't moved countries in 2008.

Man, I seriously want to reply to every single post! I think it's really important to recognize how every single person we've interacted with has had a part in shaping who we are in some way. Even though times and closeness change, that fact always remains.

She's an 86er so she grew up in Toonami's heyday. At the time it likely would have been something along the lines of Sailor Moon or Gundam Wing.

I've grown out of the stuff but she still dabbles from time to time.

Edit: While I'm here, does anyone remember a chat website/program in the late 90s early 00s that had a bunch of rooms you could click through and you could use animated gifs broken into chunks to represent yourself? I want to say it was called "The Magic Box" or something similar but the name is failing me. I doubt it's still around but it's something that's stuck in the back of my subconcience.

Hehe, the big crush I had in school from 6-9th grade was the girl I wrote Sailor Moon fanfiction for every day in class. Probably wrote at least a hundred of them on sheets of notebook paper lol.

And are you talking about The Palace? I spent so much time on there, especially on the FF one, Balamb Garden. I also realized the other night that The Palace was where I first heard of Juggalos lol.

Gaia is where I met my best friend. We would've hooked up but money troubles and distance kept that from happening (we're on separate coasts lol). We haven't drifted apart at all though.

Come to think of it I haven't logged onto Gaia in a while. I stopped posting there since there was no good discussions anymore and the marketplace skyrocketed.

My first internet BFF was a girl that lived literally on the other side of the country. We met on some random online game and talked constantly for years. At one point we were trying to meet up, my parents even spoke to hers, but in the end mine couldn't work out the time off to make it happen and they wouldn't let me go alone, so that fell through.

She had something wrong with her heart and eventually managed to get a heart transplant, which let her do a lot of the things she hadn't been able to and we sort of drifted apart. When I finally tried to get back in contact with her only a few years later I found out she had died from heart disease.

Still have two pictures she sent me, one of her and one of her cat.

I just wanted to acknowledge this post. Thank you for sharing this.

Haha same here.....Girl I met on music Chat ^_^

Both 15 at the time always messaged each other every day. We always talked about music (she was a green day fan) and she even told me she liked me even though we had never met and only exchanged pics, IMs and MySpace comments etc...She was cool and was from North Carolina...hope you're doing well GoodCharlotteRox! ^_^

catbird

Neo Member
I was a regular on a neopets fan message board. Some of the people from there I've stayed in contact with and are FB friends.

We moved on to deadjournal in 2002-2004ish and it was really great to be able to share my secrets in a friendly yet still semianonymous format. I wonder when was the last time someone posted...

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
My username is actually from a fan fiction I wrote on message boards when I was much younger lol. I think I tracked down the remnants of the board a while back but didn't recognize anybody

Trurl

Banned
there was this random guy who would talk to me on aim about xiu xiu.. i secretly dread that i know who it was and that he died this year.

Was it me? The Falling Dollar?

Wait, let me redo this:

Not quite perished, my lady love, though some days I wish I had.

My first internet BFF was a girl that lived literally on the other side of the country. We met on some random online game and talked constantly for years. At one point we were trying to meet up, my parents even spoke to hers, but in the end mine couldn't work out the time off to make it happen and they wouldn't let me go alone, so that fell through.

She had something wrong with her heart and eventually managed to get a heart transplant, which let her do a lot of the things she hadn't been able to and we sort of drifted apart. When I finally tried to get back in contact with her only a few years later I found out she had died from heart disease.

Still have two pictures she sent me, one of her and one of her cat.
Well this was sad...

I talked with someone on some dumb F2P MMO who I assumed was a girl, but I have no idea if she actually was. Still, they listened to my problems with school and teachers and helped give me advice on things. They were nice.

Sephzilla

This thread actually makes me miss the friends I made when playing The Matrix Online. I still swear there will never be an online community as closely knit as those people were.

RS4-

Some girl I used to date is now part of a kpop group. Or former group. I don't know, I don't follow these things.

But yeah, back then, used to have penpals despite having emails and shit, just more personal back then. Never actually met them though, one did show up at my workplace a few years later, but I guess she was too shy, never said anything. And I don't think she wanted to, she had her kid and bf with her hahah.

Erheller

Back in the day I was into Linux and was a moderator on JustLinux. Skype had just been released and we were talking to folks all over the world.
One guy in Switzerland sent me some caps with the Le Gruyere cheese logo on them. Another fellow lived on Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.
I "met" a lot of folks around the world using Skype.

Hey, my mom and a good portion of my extended family are from Mauritius.

On topic, over a decade ago I was part of a tiny Zelda forum called Kokiri Kids or something like that. People eventually just drifted away and I never really knew what happened to it after I stopped going there. Wonder what some of those people are doing now.

ChrisSTARR

Neo Member
Makes me think of the friends I made in the first years of PSN. PSN chat sucked, you couldn't do anything while using it, but we made the most of it.

I didn't have very many friends irl in seventh grade, but I had a little online crew of JR highschoolers and we'd all get the same games, help with homework, same kind of stuff you'd do with kids in your neighborhood, but across the country.

Good times.

Iksenpets

Banned
My grandma still plays Neopets.

We can't get her to stop.

What if your grandma is mew_girl??

AIM chat Xiu Xiu obsessives may have been a bit of a thing, because I totally knew one too. No idea on his currently alive or not status.

Elija2

God, I feel bad for losing touch with all of my old online friends, but so much time has passed that it's probably too late to rekindle anything.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I actually met my best friend on animepalace. Anyone else here went there?

We met in 2003 online and have been best friends ever since. Studied the same stuff, etc.
Fraid not, but I was a regular on animenetzone back in the day which may or may not still exist

Pau

I often wonder what happened to a lot of the people I used to talk to on MSN. I was a member on a Pokémon forum but it was shut down a long time ago and MSN has since been discontinued. So I eventually lost contact with all but one of them. But, the one that I did keep in contact with I still talk to today - it's been over 12 years! Probably would've taken the friendship offline already if I hadn't moved countries in 2008.
I'm wondering what Pokémon forum it was but some of the guys on the one I frequented are kind of creepy tbh so I'm wary about posting about it here.

Some friend introduced me to this MMO called Stick Online when I was in middle school. It was a small community of less then one hundred people, but everyone was really close and I made a lot of friends through that game. Ended up getting MSN and talking to a lot of them for years. Then I just kind of left and stopped talking to them, even the guy I knew who showed me the game at first. My other were on a different chat engine, so I stopped even logging into MSN. I wonder if those guys are doing alright.

Top Bottom