• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPCSP - Excellent PSP emulation, support improving all the time! |PICS|

jediyoshi

Got antialiasing working. Square Enix must be itching to remaster these puppies.

java-2012-05-31-01-52-41-89.png

java-2012-06-01-21-01-47-97.png

java-2012-06-01-20-52-20-87.png

Holy crap

And I have FFVII Crisis Core/ Birth By Sleep/ Dissidia/ 3rd Birthday all waiting to be played, with a broken PSP

I might have to check this out tomorrow

It "missing" better textures for the close-ups but it clearly better than Soul Calibur for Dreamcast.

Uh, no it doesn't. The character models are clearly less complex, and the textures are considerably lower resolution than the Dreamcast's Soul Calibur. Excellent/efficient modelling and artwork goes a long way to hiding the deficiencies, however. Plus a better lighting model.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My PSP has up to date firmware - does that mean I'm SOL in terms of getting CW on it so I can rip my UMDs to try this out?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You shouldn't need anything other than just CFW, you can change USB access to the UMD drive, connect to a PC, and just copy-paste.

Doesn't look like there's any speed improvements on my end, but I'm stuck on Windows XP 32bit because of video capture drivers, so maybe it's faster for 64bit users.

But I'm still getting 2-4fps in the stuff I'm trying that has 3D geometry.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ys vs Sora no Kiseki worked pretty well when I tried it, menus were messed up but gameplay was fine. Couldn't get it working with a GCN controller like I wanted to though.

Couldn't use Fraps either, it just caused the video to freeze while the audio played fine.

Doesn't look like there's any speed improvements on my end, but I'm stuck on Windows XP 32bit because of video capture drivers, so maybe it's faster for 64bit users.

But I'm still getting 2-4fps in the stuff I'm trying that has 3D geometry.

I've just streamed 3rd Birthday for an hour or so.

http://www.twitch.tv/thetoddhunter

Results are:

i5 processor

* Cutscenes/menus 30fps (spot on)
* General gameplay, one enemy 22-28fps (good)
* Heavy battle (a lot of the game) 10-15fps (not quite good enough)

So yeah, it works, and if you have a ninja PC may be able to really enjoy it. Will still need to hang onto my PSP.

Note I turned AA off to see if it helped, but fps seemed much the same.

Trying some BBS on stream now

I really don't like seing 3D console games on some crazy resolution. I'd rather run the things on the native console resoluation, and upscale it properly to my monitor, to get some glorious big pixels. The HUD and textures always look horrible with these crazy high resolutions. These games were not designed to be displayed this way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My PSP has up to date firmware - does that mean I'm SOL in terms of getting CW on it so I can rip my UMDs to try this out?

Every version of every PSP can have custom firmware added to it in less than 10 minutes. What's more, custom firmware is now temporary--when your PSP boots up, it's in official firmware. Run an application, you're in custom firmware. Don't want custom firmware anymore? Reboot PSP. Want to delete it all together? Just delete the application. What's more, custom firmware has PSN access, so there's really no reason to worry about it.

Instructions:
1. Upgrade PSP to current firmware.
2. Download this: http://procfw.googlecode.com/files/660PRO-B10.fix1.rar
3. Hook PSP up to PC or Mac via USB so that you can access your memory stick.
4. Drag the PSP and seplugins to your PSP--merge the PSP folder.
5. Disconnect your PSP, return to menu. Go to games list, run "Pro Update". After a few seconds, custom firmware is installed. You may delete the Pro Update application once this is done.
6. Your PSP is still running official firmware and will every time you reboot. To launch custom firmware, run FastRecovery. This will take 5-10 seconds. Your PSP will now be in custom firmware.

Much the same with bbs but more graphical glitches. Can almost get 60fps in cutscenes, but drops to 15fps in heavy battle and is a bit unresponsive. Note quite there yet.

I really don't like seing 3D console games on some crazy resolution. I'd rather run the things on the native console resoluation, and upscale it properly to my monitor, to get some glorious big pixels. The HUD and textures always look horrible with these crazy high resolutions. These games were not designed to be displayed this way.

WTF?! You would literally die if you saw what PSP games look like running at their native resolution on a 1080p display. Your logic only works if you're talking about games with 2D pixel art, not 3D games with jagged polygonal edges which become more and more painful to look at the further they're blown up.

Every version of every PSP can have custom firmware added to it in less than 10 minutes. What's more, custom firmware is now temporary--when your PSP boots up, it's in official firmware. Run an application, you're in custom firmware. Don't want custom firmware anymore? Reboot PSP. Want to delete it all together? Just delete the application. What's more, custom firmware has PSN access, so there's really no reason to worry about it.

wow, didn't know about this. i'm still using my go on 6.20 PROB10. any disadvantage on upgrading to 6.60 and then using cfw for that version? it has full psn acess that way?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wow, didn't know about this. i'm still using my go on 6.20 PROB10. any disadvantage on upgrading to 6.60 and then using cfw for that version? it has full psn acess that way?

I'm not sure about the upgrade path for 6.20Pro->6.60Pro so I can't vouch for that, but yes, 6.60 Pro has PSN access--but even if it didn't, since it's a push-button toggle, you could just swap back to OFW, get on PSN, and swap back again. I don't know of any disadvantage, all three of my PSPs are on 6.60Pro.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WTF?! You would literally die if you saw what PSP games look like running at their native resolution on a 1080p display. Your logic only works if you're talking about games with 2D pixel art, not 3D games with jagged polygonal edges which become more and more painful to look at the further they're blown up.

He's still right about the menus. It's the #1 weak spot in all of these emulators.

2San

Kingdom hearts clean aesthetics lends itself really well to upressing. :O

Can we have a pic on PSP resolution for comparison sake?

Top Bottom