• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPCSP - Excellent PSP emulation, support improving all the time! |PICS|

I might as well ask this here: do any games on the emulator have working in-game music? I tried a handful of games when this topic was first posted, but the ones that actually got in game were either mute or only played sound effects.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I might as well ask this here: do any games on the emulator have working in-game music? I tried a handful of games when this topic was first posted, but the ones that actually got in game were either mute or only played sound effects.

You install Sonic Stage and tick the option to use it? It has the audio decoder for the format most PSP games use.

Berksy

What kind of witchcraft going on in this thread?

The 3rd Birthday is one of the best looking games on PSP but this is another level :O

Eusis

I really don't like seing 3D console games on some crazy resolution. I'd rather run the things on the native console resoluation, and upscale it properly to my monitor, to get some glorious big pixels. The HUD and textures always look horrible with these crazy high resolutions. These games were not designed to be displayed this way.
This logic actually can work on many Saturn and PS1 games I believe, simply because they don't have the detail for higher resolutions to be worth it. But anything beyond that (and including many N64 games actually) and it's kind of crazy to think that. Yeah, the UI stuff is definitely a sore point, but you see some of those PSP games and it's absurd how much more detail can be pulled out at a higher resolution. Makes me wish SCEA not only allowed the HD remasters with no strings attached (beyond "Yes it needs to be HD!") but actively encouraged as many games to come out that way as possible, even if it just meant a PSN release.

Anth0ny

java-2012-06-02-09-45-10-45.png

java-2012-06-01-20-17-48-73.png

what in the fuck

Seik

Banned
Holy...fucking...shit.

I NEED THIS NOW, RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

I wasn't aware of this, those shots are wonderful!

Every version of every PSP can have custom firmware added to it in less than 10 minutes. What's more, custom firmware is now temporary--when your PSP boots up, it's in official firmware. Run an application, you're in custom firmware. Don't want custom firmware anymore? Reboot PSP. Want to delete it all together? Just delete the application. What's more, custom firmware has PSN access, so there's really no reason to worry about it.

Instructions:
1. Upgrade PSP to current firmware.
2. Download this: http://procfw.googlecode.com/files/660PRO-B10.fix1.rar
3. Hook PSP up to PC or Mac via USB so that you can access your memory stick.
4. Drag the PSP and seplugins to your PSP--merge the PSP folder.
5. Disconnect your PSP, return to menu. Go to games list, run "Pro Update". After a few seconds, custom firmware is installed. You may delete the Pro Update application once this is done.
6. Your PSP is still running official firmware and will every time you reboot. To launch custom firmware, run FastRecovery. This will take 5-10 seconds. Your PSP will now be in custom firmware.

I'm trying this right now, I have a big library to rip! Thanks!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyone tried Ridge Racer or Ridge Racer 2? How does it run? 60fps?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Every version of every PSP can have custom firmware added to it in less than 10 minutes. What's more, custom firmware is now temporary--when your PSP boots up, it's in official firmware. Run an application, you're in custom firmware. Don't want custom firmware anymore? Reboot PSP. Want to delete it all together? Just delete the application. What's more, custom firmware has PSN access, so there's really no reason to worry about it.

Instructions:
1. Upgrade PSP to current firmware.
2. Download this: http://procfw.googlecode.com/files/660PRO-B10.fix1.rar
3. Hook PSP up to PC or Mac via USB so that you can access your memory stick.
4. Drag the PSP and seplugins to your PSP--merge the PSP folder.
5. Disconnect your PSP, return to menu. Go to games list, run "Pro Update". After a few seconds, custom firmware is installed. You may delete the Pro Update application once this is done.
6. Your PSP is still running official firmware and will every time you reboot. To launch custom firmware, run FastRecovery. This will take 5-10 seconds. Your PSP will now be in custom firmware.

So it's pretty much as easy as getting homebrew setup on Wii. Awesome!

Holy shit @ those Square games.

KH has a pretty clean style, so it looking good isn't too big a surprise, but 3rd Birthday and Type-0 look fantastic.

vazel

Banned
A PSP emulator? SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!
hyper.gif

Going to be tough squeezing this in-between the couple MMOs I'm currently playing but there are some PSP games I just have to play in HD.

This is amazing.

I guess I can finally play 3rd birthday

Unfortunately it looks better than it plays at the moment unless you have something with a massive amount of power (maybe). BBS and 3rd birthday are not really playable.

Having said that, VC2 Looks and seems to play really well. Very Occasional stutter so far, maybe audio related but generally smooth.

capturelmulu.png

capture2w7uhf.png

capture3jnuwy.png

Will do some more detailed testing later and maybe some videos.

Seik

Banned
I was just about to mod my psp when I realized that I only have a 1GB memory stick...

=_=

Tonight or tomorrow, I'm buying a bigger one. Can't wait to test this stuff...those type-0 screens are ridiculous. Its giving me the Dolphin syndrome* all over again. XD

*: The need to rip each and every one of my games to test them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was just about to mod my psp when I realized that I only have a 1GB memory stick...

=_=

Tonight or tomorrow, I'm buying a bigger one. Can't wait to test this stuff...those type-0 screens are ridiculous. Its giving me the Dolphin syndrome* all over again. XD

*: The need to rip each and every one of my games to test them.

You shouldn't need a bigger card for ripping. You can change a setting in one of the CFW menus to set the USB access to the UMD drive. When you access the PSP from the PC, you'll see the ISO file and can just copy it wherever you want. Don't remember which button it is to get to that menu, maybe L+Music note? Or R+Music note. Something like that though.

Just as a note, you should use something other than Imgur for big pics, like Abload.

---

I said WOW at some of these pics. Especially the BBS one, just whoa. PSP man...

jediyoshi

Just for fun, here are shots at 1440p. I'd stick with this resolution but jpcsp/fraps gets a lot more finnicky.

http://dolphinsnacks.com/gaf/java-2012-06-03-00-46-46-24.png

http://dolphinsnacks.com/gaf/java-2012-06-03-01-20-23-70.png

Here's the resolution up to scale with the native psp res

h90GB.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me? This is SSAA right? How much of it, at what resolution and how well are the games running? Looks absolutely amazing.

Not sure, just using the built in aa option. Resolution hasn't really taken a hit on performance but most of the square games range from half speed to playable.

Does Peacewalker work now? Can you use the second analog stick?

I've gotten ingame, haven't went through it extensively. You could rebind the second stick to be the face buttons, but otherwise it's the same.

:O KH looks amazing! How does it run? And do I just need to rip my UMD to my PC?

Yep, just rip, no bios. Seems preferable if you have sony's sonicstage program though it might be hard to find. Sony doesn't seem to officially offer it anymore.

What game is this?

FF Type 0, specifically the demo. All my shots before page 4 have terribly wrong lighting (especially the Soul Calibur ones) :p

java-2012-06-03-00-00-33-62.png

Seik

Banned
You shouldn't need a bigger card for ripping. You can change a setting in one of the CFW menus to set the USB access to the UMD drive. When you access the PSP from the PC, you'll see the ISO file and can just copy it wherever you want. Don't remember which button it is to get to that menu, maybe L+Music note? Or R+Music note. Something like that though.

Really? Good news then, I'll try to install everything tonight. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Done! I just had to press select when I was on 'USB connection' (but I think we can press select anywere and it will work) and you have to change usb connection for 'UMD drive' instead of memory stick. Copy, paste, its done.

WONDERFUL, TESTING TIME! Currently ripping Dissidia! :D

Its great to know there's a future for my UMDs, yep...I'm looking at you, dear Vita! ¬¬ I stopped collecting because of this, now I'm back on the track!

and the font is clearer in the top pics too. I noticed that but don't know how to solve the problem.

probably because the filters/AA/wizardry are going over the 2D assets as well, which tends to make them blurry and gross (think a SNES emulator with super eagle or "HD" filters over the games)

vazel

Banned
No wonder the PSP had dithering. The color banding can be HORRIBLE(example). This isn't like running GCN/Wii games on Dolphin that makes the colors look better without any dithering.

Edit: The sky in the Metal Gear screenshots posted below me has bad banding too.

vazel

Banned
Bad example, just a bad screenshot.

http://www.abload.de/img/java2012-06-0322-46-269myg.jpg[/*img][/QUOTE]So there's something wrong with my config. I thought that may be the case. I also can't get fullscreen working. I'll try reinstalling java as I think I have several different versions of java on my system.

Edit: Cleaned up my java situation and tried a different build of jpcsp but the problem is still there. :(

Top Bottom