• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

_Ryo_

Dont have any digital only games but surely if I did it would take me much longer to download than to just copy from my psp.

I dont have internet at home anyway.

So far, it looks like it's working. We'll see later.

PROTIP: Media Go must be set to use your PSN account's language or Download List will somehow not really work.

bomblord1

Banned
Just moving this to the new page as it was quickly lost as the last post on the previous one
Nice - how do you go about doing this? Is it just a matter of moving everything via the Content Manager?

Download the Sony Media Go App from here. Once downloaded go to "Store" on the top left corner and choose "Downloads" it will ask you to sign into your PSN account here. After signing in you'll have a list of your digital PSP games. Click "download" on the one you want. This will download the file. Once completed right click on the item and then click "explore" and then from there right click again and choose open the containing folder to get the file location. You should see a .pkg file for your game. Get the .pkg file and move it to wherever you prefer (or keep it there it doesn't really matter you just need to know where it is).

Now PPSSPP can't use the file in this form as it's encrypted as a form of copy protection and was only meant to be able to be unencrypted during the transfer process to the PSP with Sony's tools. However someone was able to create an extractor for it that converts the file into a .iso that PPSSPP can use. The only working one I found was here.

Download the latest version tool linked above and launch it. Drag and drop the .pkg file into the extractor (make sure PSP is checked) and choose extract to get the file and finally open it in PPSSPP.

All in all it's basically a 2 step process download -> extract and you have your legally purchased PSN games right there on your computer for use with PPSSPP (or transfer them to your phone or whatever)

oldmario

Just moving this to the new page as it was quickly lost as the last post on the previous one

there's also another way, if you go to your download list on desktop and download the xml you can retrieve the pkg link from that and throw it into a download manager

CCIE

Banned
I stumbled on to that trick over a month ago... and the PSP emulator works like a BOSS on the Mac Pro. I'm currently playing FFIV on my laptop at 4X resolution, and it works really, really well. Would play on my phone, but I simply need a bigger screen for that

ACE 1991

Is Peace Walker and Ghost of Sparta worth picking up to play on my S7? I've read that these games have performance issues on Android.

PGamer

fucking juniors
PPSSPP 1.3 is now out.

Download: http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html

September 17, 2016: PPSSPP 1.3 is here!

Half a year's worth of fixes in one go, enjoy! Here's a selection of the most important fixes:

• Fix JIT problems on Galaxy S7 and iOS 9+ devices
  • Fix Android TV support (x86-64) and use latest FFmpeg, fix Raspberry memory use
  • Texture replacement support - for custom textures and upscaling
  • Workaround rendering issues on Tegra K1/X1
  • Initial Vulkan support on Windows - not full featured yet
  • Experimental new CPU backend and CPU fixes
  • Fix type D cheat codes, allow for homebrew
  • Fix some problems when switching away from and back to the app
  • Initial game video recording / TAS features (frame stepping)

pgharavi

Banned
Download the Sony Media Go App from here. Once downloaded go to "Store" on the top left corner and choose "Downloads" it will ask you to sign into your PSN account here. After signing in you'll have a list of your digital PSP games. Click "download" on the one you want. This will download the file. Once completed right click on the item and then click "explore" and then from there right click again and choose open the containing folder to get the file location. You should see a .pkg file for your game. Get the .pkg file and move it to wherever you prefer (or keep it there it doesn't really matter you just need to know where it is).

Now PPSSPP can't use the file in this form as it's encrypted as a form of copy protection and was only meant to be able to be unencrypted during the transfer process to the PSP with Sony's tools. However someone was able to create an extractor for it that converts the file into a .iso that PPSSPP can use. The only working one I found was here.

Download the latest version tool linked above and launch it. Drag and drop the .pkg file into the extractor (make sure PSP is checked) and choose extract to get the file and finally open it in PPSSPP.

All in all it's basically a 2 step process download -> extract and you have your legally purchased PSN games right there on your computer for use with PPSSPP (or transfer them to your phone or whatever)

I don't see why not it's just a standard .iso file

Is there a Mac equivalent? I tried searching around for quite a while, to no avail. I have a bunch of PSP games/licenses I'd love to play on this emulator.

Ruff

Wow. Using this on my S6 Playing CC on this at amazing resolution with my mogi pad... Amazing. I never would have thought when I got my first PSP like 10 years ago I'd be playing it on a thin AF mobile phone haha. Runs like a dream too. Props to the coder, they did a terrific job.

Well, PPSSPP 1.3 actually gets far enough in to Crazy Taxi to load in to a map. Still crashes before it gives me control, though.

All of the other white whales I am testing on this also seem to still be in relatively the same state. Motorstorm Arctic Edge seems to feature less visual artifacts but he shadows are still busted and there's no sound, for example.

Will wait patiently.

oldmario

i wonder how easy it would be to take textures from the PS2 version of a game and run them in the PSP version or if the resolution of the textures isn't that much different to qualify for the effort to do it

_Ryo_

Does anyone know if 1.3 is available for linux? I tried looking in the dev builds and everything and could only find version ~1.1 and below.

Did you try the amd64 or the i386 version? I need i386 for my craptop. When I download

ppssppbuildbot-org.ppsspp.ppsspp-dev-latest-linux-i386-generi

version.txt says:

v1.0.1-769-gc4ea4e3

Hmm I tried the amd64 one. It looks like they're not updating the 386 builds on that page then. Try looking in your distro's repositories. I use Arch and I can get it directly from there. If you're using ubuntu, try installing from this ppa

oldmario

t7SYqI0.png
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1292621

thought i'd post this here for those who use get their psp files directly from the sony website for use on ppsspp because with this going they might remove access to the files on the website too

Syril

I started to use this on my computer, and the amount of options is impressive, but I'm having trouble getting games to work. I'm trying it with Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX and Ys Seven. SFA3 won't work at all, it just shows a black screen when I load it. Ys 7 did work the first couple of times I loaded it, but then also stopped working. After it stopped loading, I could still load from a save state, but after a little bit the sound would cut out and then a few seconds later the entire emulator would crash.

I've tried resetting my computer and running the emulator from a different drive, but nothing has helped. I'm not really sure how to approach this.

Vic_Viper

Would anyone mind sharing their graphics settings for 1.3, I dont know what half this stuff does lol. Been playing Crisis Core and it looks amazing and runs pretty good, but I havent really messed around with the settings aside from setting it to 10x psp.

My Pc set up:

GTX 1070
Intel i5 6600k 3.5
16gb DDR4 Ripjaw 3000
MSI Z170A mobo

In game the graphics look amazing and some cutscenes look the same but then there are some other cutscenes, like the opening screen when the game starts, that look like crap. Im assuming that those are just prerendered at a certain resolution and no matter what you do they will always look like that.

In game the graphics look amazing and some cutscenes look the same but then there are some other cutscenes, like the opening screen when the game starts, that look like crap. Im assuming that those are just prerendered at a certain resolution and no matter what you do they will always look like that.

If that's what I think it is, yeah it's pre-rendered. Nothing you can do about it.

It does indeed look amazing. CC blew my mind when it was released on the PSP.

Vic_Viper

Is there a way to use the right stick for camera controls? Would actually like to have both L & R and the right stick usable if possible.

PGamer

fucking juniors
PPSSPP 1.4 is now out.

March 31, 2017: PPSSPP 1.4 has arrived!

• Support D3D11 (performs better than OpenGL or D3D9 on most hardware)
  • Audio quality improvement (linear interpolation) (#8950)
  • Hardware spline/bezier tesselation in OpenGL, D3D11 and Vulkan (...)
  • Post-processing shaders in D3D11
  • Prescale UV setting removed, now the default (improves perf) (#9176)
  • High DPI display fixes
  • Various fixes for UMD switching for multi-UMD games (#9245, #9256)
  • New audio setting to improve compatibility with Bluetooth headsets
  • Various desktop gamepad compatibility fixes
  • Workaround for mipmap issue, fixing fonts in Tactics Ogre Japanese
  • Assorted minor compatibility fixes, code cleanup and performance improvements

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this but can PPSSPP allow for 2 people to play on the one emulator? If so how does one go about that?

EDIT: I downloaded 1.4 and crashes after I run the emulator. My W10 was updated on 7th April to whatever updates were available then.
All other emus I use seem to run fine, like Dolphin, but PPSSPP crashes after I launch it.

EDIT2: Apparently I should set it to run as if it is on OpenGL? How do I do that?

yurinka

I just tried the emulator with Wipeout Pure. Runs perfectly (1080p/60fps with extra sauce and everything maxed), and I'm surprised how I still remember all the tracks after many years without playing it.

blado

Is anyone using PPSSPP for Android? I installed it on my Galaxy S7 and I'm having issues with an inconsistent framerate. In Monster Hunter Freedom Unite it will frequently switch between 29-31 rather than stay locked 30 fps, creating a slight stutter. No matter what setting or resolution I chose, I could not get this to go away :( . I could just live with it, but I'd definitely prefer to find a way to fix this if possible.

Something must be wrong with your settings because PPSSPP ran amazing on my old Note 2. Just play around with the settings. I remember P3P making my old phone lag but when I played with the settings it looked better and ran buttery smooth.

PGamer

fucking juniors
PPSSPP 1.4.1 is now out.

May 23, 2017: PPSSPP 1.4.1 - bugfix release

No major news, but there's been fixes:

• Fixes for some common hangs and crashes
  • Vertex decoder optimizations
  • Corrections to mipmap bias and selection function
  • Major improvements and fixes to software renderer, including mipmap support
  • UI background image support
  • Fix crash in framebuffer blits affecting Persona 3