• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Zafir

Do I need to make a new save from getting all the new biomes and such? Mind you my save is from vanila NMS.

Also did they added a way to put more slots on a ship? I loved the looks of my ships so I never upgraded it.

Really thinking about getting it digitial. I enyojed vanilla version but sold it because they offered me good money with a PS4 Pro deal and I felt like I already saw it almost everything.

Kind of hope not.

I spent quite a bit of time on the game initially. Got a really nice 48 slot ship and a lot of upgrades to the multitool, my suit etc.

Don't really want to have to do all that again. xD

JoeNut

are people starting new games or carrying on? i'm tempted to start from scratch considering i haven't touched the other updates

ring planets?

the thing i want that was originally shown is ecosystems. i want to see creatures have heard mentality. i want to see them go to waterholes to drink. be attacked by predators and see them feeding. it's the big one to add, but i don't think we'll ever get it.

That's already in. I've seen predators kill friendly animals and stand over their corpses, guarding them, quite a bit on several planets.

How dependent is this on online? i forgot. Its on sale at GoG but i don't know if it's possible to go online without steamworks.

Zafir

It sounds like you wouldn't need to start again for new biomes (my guess, as my game hasn't finished downloading yet). Since the whole universe is procedurally generated and if they change the formula then it will change the universe. Planets you've been to might look different etc.

If your save is from vanilla you can load it up and play with all the good new things. But I advise anyone in that position to start again from the start. So much has changed with the other updates as well. The whole economy and how you upgrade etc is quite different. It'd be a cool fresh experience to start again rather than already have a ton of cool stuff/ships unlocked from vanilla. Up to you though. I started again on the 1.2 update and it was a lot of fun.
Does it take as much time as it did originally to get upgrades and stuff though?

I personally just wouldn't like to go through the grind to get some of the schematics or the grind to get such a good ship (they used to cost an arm and a leg, and still did when I briefly checked out the 1.1 patch).

That's personally why I wouldn't want to start over.

mandiller

Does it take as much time as it did originally to get upgrades and stuff though?

I personally just wouldn't like to go through the grind to get some of the schematics or the grind to get such a good ship (they used to cost an arm and a leg, and still did when I briefly checked out the 1.1 patch).

Personally I found it takes longer to get good tech, but shorter to get a good ship (you just need a ton of credits though). Up to you.

Looks like you can now get upgrades directly from missions, which should make progression much better. Also looks like you can get money, resources, etc from missions. Things look like they will be much better paced now.

Does the game still depend on the same colour system for universe? Or was that just theories? I remember how you needed to level up your hyperdrive to enter blue and green stars, which in turn had more interesting stuff.

bosseye

are people starting new games or carrying on? i'm tempted to start from scratch considering i haven't touched the other updates

Starting from scratch. Mind you, I haven't played since a couple of months after launch so I've not even tried the previous patch stuff (basebuilding etc). Gonna be a lot to get my teeth into, can't wait, glad I re-bought it last month in anticipation of this.

OmegaDL50

ring planets?

the thing i want that was originally shown is ecosystems. i want to see creatures have heard mentality. i want to see them go to waterholes to drink. be attacked by predators and see them feeding. it's the big one to add, but i don't think we'll ever get it.

Ring planets is something I've always wanted but even from the earliest pre-release footage there was never any indication of them being in the game. As in there wasn't any visible evidence of Ringed worlds existing, so I didn't pay it any mind and even if they did exist. It would probably be superficial at best and more or less act like a dense asteroid / space rock field around the planet.

We technically have space rocks everywhere when flying through space once you leave a certain distance beyond a planet's gravitational field.

In fact is there any case in NMS in which you are flying in space and there are no rocks around you at all in the nearest vicinity. As in you are basically surrounded by nothing and need to travel a decent bit to actually mine asteroids or whatnot.

Not that having empty space like that is something worth having, but I always liked theorycrafting ideas on this game.

Zafir

Looks like you can now get upgrades directly from missions, which should make progression much better. Also looks like you can get money, resources, etc from missions. Things look like they will be much better paced now.

Personally I found it takes longer to get good tech, but shorter to get a good ship (you just need a ton of credits though). Up to you.

Hm, I guess we'll have to see.

I'll probably load up my original save first before I decide.

Unai

2017-08-1109_20_39-at6hsxy.jpg

Uhh, ok!
0d8f9bcab99e0227b3218618e9436797.jpg

E92 M3

My biggest concern is what happens with my beautiful home planet. I had everything setup so nicely. If I need to move, how do I do it without losing materials and people?

Saganator

If you haven't played since launch, I actually recommend starting a new game on Survival mode. It adds a layer of challenge that I think makes the game more interesting and fun.

So something about the star gates: There are 16 glyphs and six slots. The text made it seem like you could use portals to get to any planet, but 16^6 only gives you around 16 million possibilities. Is my math wrong or are portals gonna be rare?

E92 M3

Can't wait for the "undocumented changes" to come to light. Also, I wonder how the FOV will impact framerate on the Pro.

Just saw the patches notes .
it happenned while i was asleep.

Anyway the improved galaxy map is the thing i'm looking forward to try. It was one of my main problem but it looks like they AGAIN improved the UI.

Excellent

FunkMiller

My biggest concern is what happens with my beautiful home planet. I had everything setup so nicely. If I need to move, how do I do it without losing materials and people?

My home planet is totally different. Now a crappy snow world with nothing good in it. I've also lost all my people!

Ferr986

It sounds like you wouldn't need to start again for new biomes (my guess, as my game hasn't finished downloading yet). Since the whole universe is procedurally generated and if they change the formula then it will change the universe. Planets you've been to might look different etc.

If your save is from vanilla you can load it up and play with all the good new things. But I advise anyone in that position to start again from the start. So much has changed with the other updates as well. The whole economy and how you upgrade etc is quite different. It'd be a cool fresh experience to start again rather than already have a ton of cool stuff/ships unlocked from vanilla. Up to you though. I started again on the 1.2 update and it was a lot of fun.

Wouldn't mind if it wasn't because I would lose my ship, and I liked it (that's why I asked if it can be upgraded). But I dunno, maybe I'll do it...

daxy

If you haven't played since launch, I actually recommend starting a new game on Survival mode. It adds a layer of challenge that I think makes the game more interesting and fun.

Will it become more of a grind? I wasn't really into that.

E92 M3

My home planet is totally different. Now a crappy snow world with nothing good in it. I've also lost all my people!

I'd love for it to turn into a snow planet lol. And yes, per reddit we have to rehire, unfortunately.

By the way, how do I disassemble base and not lose anything? I'm also concerned about my vehicle pads.

This honestly looks amazing. I sold the game long ago, but I literally rebought a code on amazon just to give this a go. Looks like what was originally promised.

PowderedToast

eliminating differences between planet generation on each difficulty is huge.

survival was hampered because any nice, earth like planet was ruined by insane sentinels - effectively making the planet pointless

Top Bottom