• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

KORNdoggy

Seems like a great update! Still unsure about the coop though, which is my top requested feature. I guess we will find out soon how limited it really is when people start messing with it. The orbs don't bother me, but I hope we can actually work on stuff together and fly from planet to planet at the same time. I am really curious on how that will all work.

i'm guessing it's current form it's about as limited as the ghosts of players in dark souls but with added voip ie no cross interaction between world instances (you aint going to building a base together) and i bet it's only on planet surfaces. not while travelling through space. so basically a glorified chat room. theres a reason its called shared exploration and not co-op.... but its a step in the right direction which i honestly never thought we'd get at all.

SomTervo

I did not have the time to play the game since launch, but this seems enticing.

One thing that was a deal breaker for me was lack of planet maps. Did they ever change that? I do not feel the thrill of exploration if I cannot look at the map of the places I discovered.

Think that would be way too hard to do technically. They are planet-sized.

8byte

Banned
I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history

Phew, thanks for reigning it all in Captain Fun Police!

gossi

No worries - bit of a caveat though is that you can mod the PC version pretty easily and it apparently can get v easy to run. What's more the mods can do v cool things to the game.

Due to the amount of changes in base game, I imagine mods will be broken for now.

When 1.1 and 1.2 came out, they broke most of the mods. 1.3 changes, uhm, THINGS.

They overhauled the inventory too:
DG8oYn7XsAAWQr0.jpg

b0uncyfr0

It took me 20 hours in 1.0 till I found a planet where I thought: "Yeah, I've seen that before." Since there was an update for that and now its getting more biomes again.

It sounds more like prodecurally generated content isnt for you. Which is fine.

Then you got lucky - my first few hours in the game gave me almost identical planets- kinda soiled the moment for me. I love the concept but perhaps i was expecting wider variety at the time.

This was a year ago - i will def pick it up again for this update.

MrCow

the update looks great, i can't wait to test out all the changes.

a month ago i started a new game but the game still had many issues so i stopped playing after a few hours, now this update seems to address many of the issues that where still bugging me.

great job on keeping the game updated and never giving up on the original dream!

SomTervo

Due to the amount of changes in base game, I imagine mods will be broken for now.

When 1.1 and 1.2 came out, they broke most of the mods. 1.3 changes, uhm, THINGS.

Of course - modders will probably be back up to speed quickly, though.

KORNdoggy

Then you got lucky

i think it's more the case you got unlucky. 80 hours and the only planets that looked the same were the burnt grey rock planets that had no no flora/fauna. but every other planet i landed on looked different. i certainly never landed on a planet and 5 minutes later landed on one that was the same. maybe you were just returning to the first planet by accident? lol

I hope everyone enjoys the update and I'm glad they're adding features but these patch notes still don't put them anywhere near the type of game that was described and hyped pre release. I hope everyone enjoys the game but let's not forget history

Hyperbole at its finest.

I can only think of one thing missing... sandworms. That's it. Do you have a more comprehensive list that the rest of us don't know about?

They finally made the game the way it was originally advertised.

And added even more.

I am happy with Hello Games and I can't wait to play the new update!

SomTervo

Hyperbole at its finest.

I can only think of one thing missing... sandworms. That's it. Do you have a more comprehensive list that the rest of us don't know about?

Yeah we've discussed it a little, so far the only things we can note that are missing from pre-release hype are:

- can't see other player's bodies (so we don't know what the player should look like)
- planets still don't orbit/rotate (which is super minor, barely impacts gameplay, and they said it was confusing in early patch notes - even though planets seemingly never rotated)
- sandworms

Lucifon

Still struggling to find anything that will change up the dull checkbox style planet designs or monotonous core gameplay loop. Even if it had full multiplayer, it's just not a universe I even want to explore with friends as it feels so artificial.

cyba89

Exclusively positive reactions on Sean Murrays twitter about this. Totally different from what it was a year ago.

This was probably a really tough year for all the people at Hello Games but in the end they turned the game around, closer to what was their original vision and redeemed themselves.
And people said they would just take the money and run.

Ferr986

Do I need to make a new save from getting all the new biomes and such? Mind you my save is from vanila NMS.

Also did they added a way to put more slots on a ship? I loved the looks of my ships so I never upgraded it.

Really thinking about getting it digitial. I enyojed vanilla version but sold it because they offered me good money with a PS4 Pro deal and I felt like I already saw it almost everything.

Quoting again for if someone can reply these :(

KORNdoggy

Hyperbole at its finest.

ring planets?

the thing i want that was originally shown is ecosystems. i want to see creatures have heard mentality. i want to see them go to waterholes to drink. be attacked by predators and see them feeding. it's the big one to add, but i don't think we'll ever get it.

Rezbit

Fuuuuck do I start my save on PS4 again?? Not really interested in survival just wanna do story and regular chill mode...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So the addition of new biomes...Does that mean new wildlife/enemies/creatures/whatever? I'm excited to finally try this game tonight!

It's a good day today: got a major work problem finally resolved after 2 weeks of delay, going out to lunch for a friend's leaving do and can go home, get high and play some 1.3 goodness.

mandiller

Quoting again for if someone can reply these :(

It sounds like you wouldn't need to start again for new biomes (my guess, as my game hasn't finished downloading yet). Since the whole universe is procedurally generated and if they change the formula then it will change the universe. Planets you've been to might look different etc.

If your save is from vanilla you can load it up and play with all the good new things. But I advise anyone in that position to start again from the start. So much has changed with the other updates as well. The whole economy and how you upgrade etc is quite different. It'd be a cool fresh experience to start again rather than already have a ton of cool stuff/ships unlocked from vanilla. Up to you though. I started again on the 1.2 update and it was a lot of fun.

Planet

Has anyone found out if you can jump into the new storyline with an old save (before 1.1)? I don't think I'd like to start fresh...

Top Bottom