• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCIS writers trying to make gamers heads explode through dialogue

Suairyu

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
i remember one episode ended with some gangsters getting sent to guantanamo because of some loophole that allowed them to be classified as terrorists and The Smug Asshole was like "you don't have the right to remain silent
Xn8Ia.png
" like "yaaaay us citizens just lost their right to due process yaaaaay"
So even the entertainment media is trying to get citizens to support illegal detainment camps!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
wsippel said:
I still can't get over the fact that Matrix of all movies is probably the only one to show a realistic hack. Not only that, the hack they showed was actually a very real privilege escalation that indeed worked just like that on certain Linux kernels. Matrix!
Yep. Some security people complained that what they showed was too accurate.

sH8wV.jpg

Amusingly enough, the same Die Hard movie referenced in the P-A comic I put in the OP also uses that program appropriately:

WtYmr.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I am totally in the wrong occupation. I need to be a technical writer for television crime dramas.

Zeliard

Feep said:
So, I'm friends with the guy who wrote this episode. In fact, he was bragging about it to me, as he knew I was a pretty big gamer.

I didn't watch it.

Should I...should I say anything to him?

Ask him if he's seen the new 24 core.

It pains me so much because my parents will watch this shit (NCIS, CSI, Two and a half men etc.) and also really good shows (Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking Bad) and they can't seem to grasp the ginormous quality difference.

RS4-

I remember that CSI NY ep, I had nothing to say when it happened. CSI Vegas is the only one I bother watching. The PoP one from Life was brutal, but Ms Shahi is so hot.

I just roll my eyes and laugh at stuff like that. If I stopped watching a show because it got tech stuff wrong I wouldn't have anything to watch. Some of them are pretty bad with it though.

Reminds me of the scene in the movie Rockstar where Marky Mark is showing Jennifer Aniston a guitar and is like "that's rosewood" in amazement

Cipherr said:
^^^ What gets me is she says Gui Interface. I hate it when people do that shit.
There are a lot of examples of this in IRL.

Like how people say ATM Machines. Technically, I don't really think it's entirely wrong. For instance, saying "NES video game system" is correct because one of it's official names is the "NES," and even though it would mean "Nintendo Entertainment System video game system" when spelled out... "NES" is just a noun in itself.

Platy

^ having a hard day ?

This reminds me .... how hard is to make people ACTUALY PLAY the videogame ? everyone is ALWAYS smashing the buttons nonsensicaly more than a kid playing marvel vs capcom in the arcades =P

...even in shows like big bang theory ><

benjipwns

Banned
Could be similar to the Coconut Effect. Like everything that's done to swords and guns, for example, because it's what people expect.

They also might be actually playing anything at all. Or "playing" to a video.

This can't really explain the four hands on a keyboard clip very well though.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Feep said:
So, I'm friends with the guy who wrote this episode. In fact, he was bragging about it to me, as he knew I was a pretty big gamer.

I didn't watch it.

Should I...should I say anything to him?
Tell him that he writes for NCIS and there's no real right he has for bragging. Also, the average viewer of his show is 57 years old — it would be like getting excited about knocking the copy for some new erectile dysfunction ad out of the part.

Proxy said:
Did the actor who plays McGee start doing drugs or something?
I was thinking the same thing, he seems to be getting thinner with every episode.

MomoPufflet said:
Reminds me of the scene in the movie Rockstar where Marky Mark is showing Jennifer Aniston a guitar and is like "that's rosewood" in amazement
Were they talking about the neck or the body, maybe? You don't really see rosewood used for that very often (on electric geetars at least). But then again, it's pretty unlikely.

benjipwns

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
I was thinking the same thing, he seems to be getting thinner with every episode.
Since everyone was wondering this I Google searched. It was the opposite, he stopped drinking alcohol and started cutting his sugar:
No, Sean Murray, who plays the nerdy agent Timothy McGee on NCIS, lost the weight intentionally. He explains in a series of Twitter posts (twitter.com/SeanHMurray) that he dropped 25 pounds by going 14 months without alcohol and almost no sugar. He says he ate strictly organic.

"You can actually see me gradually lose the weight over the 24 (episodes) of Season 7," he tweeted. "Slowly, a pound every week or two. Watch the DVDs."

He may not be finished. His final tweet on the question was: "Maybe one year I come back and it's full-on McMuscles."

TheExodu5

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
There are a lot of examples of this in IRL.

Like how people say ATM Machines. Technically, I don't really think it's entirely wrong.

It's not wrong. You can repeat the last word after the acronym and have it still be considered correct.

For example, in Canada, we have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). This is often referred to as a SIN number.

Here's something fun. How much better can y'all do?

Criteria:
- Establish other person is very good at some (made up) online video game.
- Your character is above average nerd.
- Make it all understandable to the 'average joe' audience, yet still sound absurd enough because it's video games on tv.

Let's see some gaf screenwriting skillz!

Moofers

GavinGT said:

Reminds of me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlQkzYjs-g&feature=player_embedded
*content blocked, working on a new link....*

*edit* can't find a new working video. NBC blocked it on youtube. Rightfull so, it was fucking embarrassing. It was Law and Order where a fat disgusting unbathed couple kept their kid locked up in a closet while they played an MMO that looked like it was from 1994.

"Hey gamers! You're all a bunch of fat, lazy, sweaty, unkempt, gross, unemployed, parent's basement dwelling LOSERS you sorry fucks! Go fuck yourselves!"

faridmon

Such a crappy show. Don't know why is it so populer. The charcters aren't great and don't have the chemistry they ought to have and the script is just ugh...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
chickdigger802 said:

Criteria:
- Make it all understandable to the 'average joe' audience, yet still sound absurd enough because it's video games on tv.

We didn't mean to hurt your feelings, writer dude. :(

Moofers

chickdigger802 said:

Criteria:

How are those rules difficult to follow without insulting your experts out there in the audience? Let's take hacking for example: I'm an IT student right now. I'm in no way a hacker. I'm simply in a program for web development/design. The video where the person says "I'll trace his IP by creating a GUI Interface in visual basic" is retarded. I know this because I had Intro to Visual Basic in my first semester. What they did is like saying "I'll stop the kidnapper from getting away by hacking his car's catalytic converter and re-routing my iPhone's exhaustpipe disruptor app."

Did they write this line because it just sounded like some technical gobbledygook to them or what? Its retarded. A brief bit of research on the net would reveal any number of methods for tracking IP addresses. The "GUI/Visual Basic" thing is just lazy.

ArjanN

As some other poster said earlier:

From TV Tropes:
The Coconut Effect
An element that is patently unrealistic, but which you have to do anyway because viewers have been so conditioned to expect it that its absence would be even more jarring. The best example of this is the sound of horse-hooves. From the days of radio, banging two coconut halves together was the standard way to generate the sound effect of horse-hooves. Anyone who has ever actually been around a horse knows that horse-hooves rarely sound anything at all like that, and never sound more than just a very little bit like that. All the same, that sound became so ingrained in the public consciousness that even when it later became possible to insert much more realistic sound effects, the coconut sound effect was still used. The audience wouldn't accept horse hooves making a sound not generated by coconuts.

This was parodied in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail: They didn't actually have horses, just the coconuts. Ironically, the producers actually wanted to use real horses but didn't have the budget and the coconuts did a better job at the whole Rule Of Funny bit.

While audiences have finally outgrown that particular quirk, there are others which persist. The thwpt sound of a gun with silencer (which sounds nothing like an actual silenced pistol); the ''ping'' sound made by a specular reflection; the click of a remote control, so ubiquitous that a recent mobile app phone added clicking sounds to its touch screen; the loud thump of lights turning on or off; or noisy explosions in space.

There are also fistfight noises (the 'whump' of a person getting punched in the face, or the exaggerated smack of a boxing glove) that must be certain way or they won't be believed.

In a medieval setting, whenever a sword is unsheathed, there needs to be a a sound of scraping metal, even if the sheath is made of leather. In sword duels, there is a loud, echoing clash of metal when, in reality, swords just make a small 'tink' sound.

Car and driving noises. "Wildest Police Chases"/"Wildest Security Camera Video"-type programs are big on this. Squealing tires and crunchy crashes are all dubbed in after the fact, especially in the cases featuring security camera footage, which rarely features an audio track.

People expect to see gamers look like nerds hammering away at controllers, average dudes playing a game normally would look stranger to them.

Moofers said:
How are those rules difficult to follow without insulting your experts out there in the audience? Let's take hacking for example: I'm an IT student right now. I'm in no way a hacker. I'm simply in a program for web development/design. The video where the person says "I'll trace his IP by creating a GUI Interface in visual basic" is retarded. I know this because I had Intro to Visual Basic in my first semester. What they did is like saying "I'll stop the kidnapper from getting away by hacking his car's catalytic converter and re-routing my iPhone's exhaustpipe disruptor app."

Did they write this line because it just sounded like some technical gobbledygook to them or what? Its retarded. A brief bit of research on the net would reveal any number of methods for tracking IP addresses. The "GUI/Visual Basic" thing is just lazy.

Just shows tv writing hasn't changed much from the geordi leforge days.

The whole concept of crimes being solved at such a fast pace (usually in a handful of days tv time) is ridiculous if ya use 'real technology'.

Tv. Don't think too deeply about it ;)

Binabik15

ArjanN said:
As some other poster said earlier:

From TV Tropes:

People expect to see gamers look like nerds hammering away at controllers, average dudes playing a game normally would look stranger to them.

Almost anybody with access to a tv has used a computer in the last few years, yet tv shows/movies still have characters that use computers without ever touching the fucking mouse. RAGE!

Marleyman

Banned
These CBS crime shows were, I thought, only watched by senior citizens and human beings without a shred of knowledge about the real world. Every one of them is ridiculously over the top and there are always dead bodies around.

Moofers

chickdigger802 said:
Just shows tv writing hasn't changed much from the geordi leforge days.

The whole concept of crimes being solved at such a fast pace (usually in a handful of days tv time) is ridiculous if ya use 'real technology'.

Tv. Don't think too deeply about it ;)

Oh, I don't. I watch the shows I like and I stay away from crappy ones like Law and Order, NCIS, and CSI.

Top Bottom