• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSASBR leaks lead to recent SCEA PR firing [Up: Fabricated report. Not true.]

Well, apparently SCEJ is the boss of SCEA much like Nintendo of Japan controls Reggie NoA, so once they got wind of the situation they stepped on the PR department for creating all this.

Except they aren't. SCEI are the equivalent of Nintendo of Japan, while SCEJ, SCEA and SCEE are the equivalents of NoA/NoE.

This sounds like bull to me. It doesn't really line up too well.

Edited in quote for TOTP:
I got a PM from someone who works for Superbot who will remain unnamed. He says the source's claims are false.

What if the fallout from this rumor leads to Superbot having to bribe Paul Gale for real this time to make up random shit about this game?

If some PR reps got caught using a third party to deliberately mislead people about what would be in the game, then firing them was probably the right thing to do. The beta leaks and Platinum complaints are really a sideshow to that.

I think the beta leaks is what caused PR to mislead people.

MisterHero

Those pictures always pissed me off. So they served ZERO purpose? LOL
Despite the pointless distortion, they showed the game before its announcement. If the story is accurate, Paul Gale knew exactly what was going on but pretended to be an outside speculator. (?)

Rereading the story, that really sucks for the Revengeance guys if there was supposed to be a cross-promotion.

I don't know how the account in the OP so accurately describes Gale's intent ("Realizing a potential destruction of his reputation if done incorrectly")?

Mr. Fix

"and directly urged Superbot to begin development on downloadable content that lines up with the fake leaks in order to keep good will with their early consumers who are obviously informed of leaks and rumors long before release."

Does doesn't sound like something any developer would do tbh.

In a perfect world, amirite?

Darknight

I wouldn't say it's going down in flames. The average person will have no idea about this marketing fiasco.

We will see soon. Bad reviews, terrible sales and bad PR (plus bad word of mouth) is a perfect mix for failure. So far Sony/SB are doing a great job at it.

This seems way too contrived to believe. Bribing Paul Gale to do leaks? SCEJ "catching wind" of what Kamiya said on twitter? Like Kamiya's twitter would have any relevance to anything improtant. lol.

707INCEPTION.gif

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ugh, can we agree that either way Paul Gale is a douchebag? This is the guy that acted like Star Fox vs. Metroid, Rocksteady TMNT, and a Capcom project starring HIMSELF... as RYU... Were all real at one point or another.

As for this story:

A. It's real = Paul Gale is a douchebag
B. it's fake (Paul Gale trying to drum up publicity) = Paul Gale is a douchebag

I know Platinum Games usually doesn't have the best of luck in terms of sales but I sort of doubt they were banking on PASBR being this huge burst of hype for Rising; it seems like off the Metal Gear Solid name alone their game would have more hype behind it than Superbot's.

I wouldn't say it's going down in flames. The average person will have no idea about this marketing fiasco.
The average person probably also doesn't know this game exists. Even if this rumor winds up being 100% bull, this game still probably played a small part in Sony laying off their PR folks, considering we're nearing release and it still isn't drawing the amount of hype you'd see from Smash or even slightly more niche fighters like all of Capcom's stuff (some of which got their entire rosters leaked before the games even get officially announced!) this generation.

So, what I'm taking away from this rumor is that the entire Super Sony Bros rumor->leak->reveal->leak->leak->leak cycle was simply an All I Want for Christmas is a PSP-styled PR attempt at viral marketing?

Dammit Sony.

Why would a good game get bad reviews?

I haven't played it, so I won't personally comment on it, but my brother and some mates played it the other day when Sony demo'd it on campus and they didn't really jive with it (they're probably what we'd call dudebro demographic). My brother said it lacked any "punch" in the gameplay like Smash Bros (his favorite game), his damning example being that when you KO someone they simply disappear, instead of flying across the stage and have a huge explosion and sound effect (I haven't played it so I don't know how accurate that is). He also said it was too slow and made Brawl feel like Melee when he got home.

So, virtually, they hated it because it wasn't Smash Bros I guess, and I imagine some number of reviewers will do the same.

GavinGT

Banned
Ugh, can we agree that either way Paul Gale is a douchebag? This is the guy that acted like Star Fox vs. Metroid, Rocksteady TMNT, and a Capcom project starring HIMSELF... as RYU... Were all real at one point or another.

As for this story:

Yeah, I really hope we're done taking him seriously.

Darknight

Despite the pointless distortion, they showed the game before its announcement. If the story is accurate, Paul Gale knew exactly what was going on but pretended to be an outside speculator. (?)

Rereading the story, that really sucks for the Revengeance guys if there was supposed to be a cross-promotion.

I don't know how the account in the OP so accurately describes Gale's intent ("Realizing a potential destruction of his reputation if done incorrectly")?

Im talking about the pictures with Paul Gale, himself, showing his six pack in a beach and doing push ups....LOL. Like he went that far for his bullshit. They meant nothing since he was spreading lies to begin with. (Title Fight details were gotten from SCEA to begin the hype train I assume)

As for this story:

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
....................WHAT? when was this? If he really did that then yeah this entire fiasco or anything else that might come out of his mouth should not be taken seriously

Tagg9

We will see soon. Bad reviews, terrible sales and bad PR (plus bad word of mouth) is a perfect mix for failure. So far Sony/SB are doing a great job at it.

Terrible sales is the measure of failure, it doesn't contribute to it. And it's a little early to say it will review badly.

SykoTech

Lol. What a twist.

But yeah, SCEA contacting an outside source source like Paul Gale to do false advertising for them sound too crazy even for them. And SCEJ forcing SuperBot to add characters that match Paul's hints? How's that even going to work when most of the characters were 3rd party?

Gonna just take a step back for now. Pretty fun Friday either way though! Thanks GAF.

GavinGT

Banned
The game is going to get some very low reviews for sure. Some will have completely shitty justifications for the score though, but hey its their opinion.

Huh? I don't see it getting excellent reviews, but it'll get like an 8.6-8.8 on Metacritic.

Carl

And SCEJ forcing SuperBot to add characters that match Paul's hints? How's that even going to work when most of the characters were 3rd party?

Not to mention that SCEJ can't tell SCEA to do anymore than Naughty Dog can tell Media Molecule what to do.

I want to make something clear, since I conducted that interview. I didn't actually ask them about the Raiden leak or their feelings on PASBR. It was a Revengeance interview, not PASBR. I was asking about Snake vs Raiden in terms of their personality and depiction in the series, and it lead to a theoretical confrontation between the two and how it would play out. The answer started out normally, and then midway through both men asked if I could just ask them about PASBR instead. That's when they decided to vent about their issue with the game, including being upset over the leak. However, when probed if they had other grievances, they said it was best kept for a later time and wouldn't comment further.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Yes.(Not really)

Just looks lackluster to me.

It would be great if it did well. I have nothing against it personally.
I understand, personally I think its a fantastic game but I have played it alot and thats the main problem with this game Sony needs a demo or make a complete open beta.

prwxv3

Just to be clear the game is far from perfect (artsyle is terrible, music is not that good (so far anyway), and sound effect are not that great either (but its getting better)). But from what I have played I dont think the game deserves anything lower then a 7 that its going to get from some outlets but once again it's their opinion.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I want to make something clear, since I conducted that interview. I didn't actually ask them about the Raiden leak or their feelings on PASBR. It was a Revengeance interview, not PASBR. I was asking about Snake vs Raiden in terms of their personality and depiction in the series, and it lead to a theoretical confrontation between the two and how it would play out. The answer started out normally, and then midway through both men asked if I could just ask them about PASBR instead. That's when they decided to vent about their issue with the game, including being upset over the leak. However, when probed if they had other grievances, they said it was best kept for a later time and wouldn't comment further.
My only problem with that interview was Shane trying to make it look like controversy.

shit just got real

wtf lol

libregkd

Just to be clear the game is far from perfect (artsyle is terrible, music is not that good (so far anyway), and sound effect are not that great either (but its getting better)). But from what I have played I dont think the game deserves anything lower then a 7 that its going to get from some outlets but once again it's their opinion.
I have to say with the latest sound leaks (regarding the soundtrack) I'm actually pretty happy with how its turning out. But if it wasn't for those leaks, I would agree with this assessment. Certainly am really enjoying it though.

Top Bottom