• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts running on a PSP Go

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
i'm guessing a lot of PSP games that aren't on the PSN are due to licensing issues.

Or Sony/Companies just don't give a fuck.

See: Square-Enix putting Vagrant Story Einhander/etc. on region PSX PSN stores, but not in the US. Same for Sony and some of their PSP/PSX titles.

They just don't give a fuck, and that's why the Go is a failure. The hardware is good, but the support is dismal.

The fact you need to hack it to get on par with the PSP-1/2/3000 says it all.

sooner than you think

Probably in 2011, maybe. 2012 at the the latest. They're... $100-150 now, right?

What's the problem with using Media Go? Its the best and simplest way to manage and buy PSP content. Downloading PSN content through the GO itself is an exercise in frustration.

Maybe some people see the MediaGo as an "Exercise in frustration" because they could simply download their shit through the Go's PSN store access instead of having to bypass to run Kingdom Hearts/UMD only things (of which consists of 80-99% of the PSP catalog) in the first place?

Nirolak said:
The fact that this is thread worthy is a shining example of why the PSP Go is a complete failure.

It may be a commercial failure (and rightly so) but its a great buy these days. You can find them in the UK for less than a 3K and they come with 10 free games and most of the initial issues have (finally) been ironed out. Its too late to save the thing, but its a nice bit of kit at a reasonable price now.

duckroll

Wario64 said:
lol, this thread shouldn't even exist in the first place. PSP Go is a failure.

Luxury car! Unicycle! Kevin Butler! :lol

brain_stew said:
It may be a commercial failure (and rightly so) but its a great buy these days. You can find them in the UK for less than a 3K and they come with 10 free games and most of the initial issues have (finally) been ironed out. Its too late to save the thing, but its a nice bit of kit at a reasonable price now.

Still too much of a hassle for most people to give a shit about. Especially people have working PSPs which already play all the games and are enjoying it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Not bad, will this work on the newest firmware?

brain_stew said:
You rip it with with the knackered old PSP 1k you bought years ago but don't use because its a clunky POS.
I still play my 1000 more than my Go tho

duckroll said:
Haha, whatever. You keep trolling regular PSPs, and I'll keep trolling the useless PSP Go. What a failure. :lol
Uh seriously?

Jesus, u people

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Corran Horn said:
You need a regular PSP with CFW to rip the game from. I guess you can DL it if you own the game...but Im not sure the legality from that.
It's very, very gray. I'd say, either rip them on your own CFW'd PSP 1/2/3k, or on someone else's.

duckroll said:
So do CFW PSPs.
:O!

Can the Go be any more useless?

DR2K

Banned
Nirolak said:
The fact that this is thread worthy is a shining example of why the PSP Go is a complete failure.

Outside of Japan PSP fits that criteria, Sony just handled it poorly. Go especially was a disaster of epic proportions.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
dallow_bg said:
Used at Gamestop.
You'd be surprised at how many you find in perfect condition. People hardly used them. :)
Kinda wish I would have gotten one instead of a regular used one. However, maybe they'll get REALLY cheap and then I'll have a UMD ripping machine... except for the fact I have the latest firmware and I don't think I can install CFW on it.

duckroll

DR2K said:
Outside of Japan PSP fits that criteria, Sony just handled it poorly. Go especially was a disaster of epic proportions.

The Go's biggest failure is that Sony launched it anyway knowing that they don't have the contracts in place to enforce all games on PSN being mandatory. Worst mistake ever.

Tabris

I hate portable gaming but the JPN developers keep on developing for it this generation. So the controller/video output aspect of the PSP GO interests me quite a bit.

That's why this news is important to some of us.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
brain_stew said:
Well yes, I'll agree that the design is nice, but they really missed out on the basics of the basics first.

A sliding revision of the PSP2 would probably do much better for them, though I imagine the first edition will be a bar if the overheating rumors are true.

DR2K said:
While this is true, at least the base PSP could play all the games made for it.

duckroll

Tabris said:
I hate portable gaming but the JPN developers keep on developing for it this generation. So the controller/video output aspect of the PSP GO interests me quite a bit.

That's why this news is important to some of us.

That's not a feature unique to the Go. :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't even use the video output, I just like playing with a regular controller unthethered when I'm at home.

Goon Boon

Banned
Is there a cfw solution to psp video out letterboxing the games but not the movies? I want to play psp games full screen darnit :/

Tabris

duckroll said:
That's not a feature unique to the Go. :p

I have my PSP 3000 on the latest firmware, so too late for CFW. And the explaination someone just gave on whats required to do that on CFW sounds annoying to me (you need to use a computer every time?)

If PSP 3000 had controller sync support, I would be good to go.

Kyoufu

So to get a game that works on other models of PSP onto the PSP Go you need to get a hacked PSP with the game in the UMD drive then you have to use the remotejoy plugin to rip the game onto your computer then connect the PSP Go to the computer and copy it over then you have gather the semen of a virgin and cast an incantation like in bible black then when the ritual is complete your PSP Go will sprout a penis and will finally be able to play the game your regular PSP could all along. Hurray!

duckroll

Goon Boon said:
Is there a cfw solution to psp video out letterboxing the games but not the movies? I want to play psp games full screen darnit :/

Yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s74HXVkLNsI

Tabris said:
I have my PSP 3000 on the latest firmware, so too late for CFW. And the explaination someone just gave on whats required to do that on CFW sounds annoying to me (you need to use a computer every time?)

If PSP 3000 had controller sync support, I would be good to go.

So if you have no CFW PSP, how do you plan on getting ISOs onto a PSP Go? :p

mooooose

Does the Go have ghosting? I think I may trade in my PSP for the Go... EBGames has a deal giving you 50%+ on any trade in hardware this week...

Haunted

I think I'd rather wait until the PSP2 is properly announced and PSP prices fall as quickly as Marcus thrown off the roof of a skyscraper.

brain_stew said:
You rip it with with the knackered old PSP 1k you bought years ago but don't use because its a clunky POS.
duckroll said:
Haha, whatever. You keep trolling regular PSPs, and I'll keep trolling the useless PSP Go. What a failure. :lol
I enjoyed this exchange. :lol

The go hardware isn't bad at all. The screen is by-far the best among the four PSPs out, even at its smaller size. The analog nub and shoulder buttons are placed in better locations and feel more natural. The overall grip of the unit is more or less fine, and for the increased portability of the thing, it's excusable. The clicky buttons and d-pads stink, but w/e. The way sony handled it was just a mess and even if it takes homebrew and stuff to make it good, I'll still be down with that...at a low price point.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mooooose said:
Does the Go have ghosting? I think I may trade in my PSP for the Go... EBGames has a deal giving you 50%+ on any trade in hardware this week...
Go has the best screen of all the current models.

DR2K

Banned
mooooose said:

No ghosting.

duckroll said:
I'm sure you have that backwards.

It's not a grey area legally at all. Morally sure. The moment you launch a torrent of a copyrighted work, you are not just downloading something, you are also uploading it.

So all you gotta do is use Megaupload then and you are good, right???????:D

duckroll

Linkzg said:
The go hardware isn't bad at all. The screen is by-far the best among the four PSPs out, even at its smaller size. The analog nub and shoulder buttons are placed in better locations and feel more natural. The overall grip of the unit is more or less fine, and for the increased portability of the thing, it's excusable. The clicky buttons and d-pads stink, but w/e. The way sony handled it was just a mess and even if it takes homebrew and stuff to make it good, I'll still be down with that...at a low price point.

The PSP Go is a pretty cool piece of hardware. But that's about it unfortunately. In terms of actually being useful, it still has a long way to go. I'll definitely consider getting a PSP Go if it's like say, 50 bucks. It'll be worth that price just to play the games I own over PSN. I wouldn't even need to bother about ISOs or CFW.

But that's basically all it is at this point: a curiosity. Pretty sad!

Prez

Wait, so apparantly you can get a PSP Go with 10 games for €179. How is that not tempting for a non-PSP owner?

TheSeks said:
Maybe some people see the MediaGo as an "Exercise in frustration" because they could simply download their shit through the Go's PSN store access instead of having to bypass to run Kingdom Hearts/UMD only things (of which consists of 80-99% of the PSP catalog) in the first place?

Have you ever actually tried that?

It takes several hours to download a single game and your PSP is completely occupied in the meantime. Oh, and it'll randomly quit out in the middle of a download, meaning you'll have to start all over again. The option might as well not be there its so worthless.

onken

Kinda torn over this, and I actually got my hands on a Go yesterday for the first time (display model hidden behind a poster), so:

- Go definitely does feel better when using the analog stick, because your thumb isn't so cramped up
- I do have a 2000 on m33 which I could use to rip UMDs
- My 2000 has got a bunch of vertical lines of dead pixels going down the far left side, often screws up huds etc.
- The majority of my PSP gaming is playing Mega Drive and SNES games so probably wouldn't use the analog stick much anyway, and it's in 4:3 pillar box so the dead pixels don't really affect it either. Still annoying though.
- I do kinda want MH3P, that'll be analog stick heavy
- The Go screen is noticeably smaller ;/ Not sure if it has the scanlines problem of the 3000 though
- Go feels very compact, nice to hold too.
- SNES emulation on 2000 is not great, lots of the graphic-intensive games like FF6 and DKC are basically unplayable, plus you can't sleep/resume while using the emu. I understand there's a new SNES emulator available for 6.20 TN-A, so if that's much better than the existing one for m33 then that would be a big pull.
- There's always the remote chance I'll buy a Go and it will have brand new firmware on it, that would be rather upsetting.

Oh decisions, decisions.

duckroll

brain_stew said:
Have you ever actually tried that?

It takes several hours to download a single game and your PSP is completely occupied in the meantime. Oh, and it'll randomly quit out in the middle of a download, meaning you'll have to start all over again. The option might as well not be there its so worthless.

I agree. Media Go isn't great but it's way better than downloading anything off the actual PSP. Personally I grab all my PSP stuff from PSN on my PS3 itself before transferring it over. But that option is not available to everyone. Media Go is the second best option. Using PSN on the actual PSP = lolololololol. :(

mooooose said:

No. Motion resolution is on par with a modern LCD HDTV, its a huge improvement over previous models. Heck, everything about the screen is a big improvement and its actually the only model with a screen without a significant defect.

DR2K

Banned
onken said:
- There's always the remote chance I'll buy a Go and it will have brand new firmware on it, that would be rather upsetting.

I really doubt there are any on the market with FW over 6.20. I mean the reason the price is dropping so fast is because old stock is taking up space. It isn't flying off the shelf.

DR2K said:
I really doubt there are any on the market with FW over 6.20. I mean the reason the price is dropping so fast is because old stock is taking up space. It isn't flying off the shelf.

Exactly, and to add to that, I've not heard any reports from any homebrew sites of PSP Go's appearing with anything above 6.20 firmware.

the claw don't look too right on it so my pass on it continues.

duckroll said:
The Go's biggest failure is that Sony launched it anyway knowing that they don't have the contracts in place to enforce all games on PSN being mandatory. Worst mistake ever.

indeed.

fucking stupid move

duckroll said:
I don't understand why all the PS Stores outside of Japan are so incompetent though. Even in Asia, the official Playstation Store sites don't list any prices for the releases. Yet in Japan they do: http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/

Its annoying, I wanted the same information before picking up a Go myself and had to, reluctantly, install Media Go to check. There's actually a whole stack of reasonably priced titles on there now as well, so its not like they have anything to hide.

duckroll

Skilletor said:
Wait? What? How?

Remotejoy does a lot of shit apparently. It basically allows the PSP to interface with any PC to output video onto the monitor, use any usb controller (with keymapping), etc.

Takao

Banned
I will hate Disney forever if Birth By Sleep Final Mix shows up on Japanese PSN. The Tron video game, and their PSP version of Split/Second both showed up on North American PSN so it doesn't seem they're too afraid of digital distribution.

Top Bottom