• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

Roto13

Eh, this is $50 bucks worthy?

It's Wind Waker with bloom.

Man, I can't believe they're releasing a single screenshot for $50

You can get the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection for the that price...

For $50 bucks, that game better be the best goddamn reimagining we've seen yet. I'm talking like a top to bottom reworking on that triforce fetch quest kind of overhaul

They did do something to the triforce quest.

But I don't know what it is.

AniHawk

They will not allow retail hd collections in the west if they don't have at least 2 games.

oh sony's still doing that bullshit. neat.

edit: before people jump on this, i'm more against the random 'we won't let you localize this' requirements.

Petrae

Its a rip off but hey you got fans thinking this is a good price. Whatever.

That's the key. If you have people defending the price point (who aren't employed by Nintendo), the game is over. Let fans pay their $50. I'll be scratching my head while watching them do so, but money is no object when it comes to Zelda.

javac

KH1.5 has the same improvements (well, minus gamepad stuff, obviously). It also comes with another game, a movie, and is $10 cheaper.

$50 for this is just embarrassing, although sadly fully expected.

I guess! When I think of HD remakes GOW and the likes always come to my mind. Bare bones. I'll be too busy with the best game of all time during that period anyways so it's all good!
Pokemon x.

I don't have much faith in Smash 4 after the last one

As for buried and forgotten...I didn't see Brawl at EVO setting record numbers on Twitch.tv 12 years after release, did you?

I was half joking. I don't even like Smash. Games weird as fuck. But dismissing the next entry so soon isn't a good idea even if you didn't like the previous title.

I don't have much faith in Smash 4 after the last one

As for buried and forgotten...I didn't see Brawl at EVO setting record numbers on Twitch.tv 12 years after release, did you?
Well smash 4 got revealed recently you should have a little faith. As if brawl was a horrible game. And EVO means what? Nintendo almost banned the game from being shown. They dont give a shit

Gartooth

Man, I can't believe they're releasing a single screenshot for $50

They did do something to the triforce quest.

But I don't know what it is.

They are modifying it to make it less tedious, but it is still in the game which blows. Really it sounds like they are just making the shitty parts of Wind Waker less shitty, instead of actually adding new gameplay content to the game. I think that is what is irking a lot of people, this game is stuck in a weird ground where it doesn't fit in with games that are complete overhauls of the original like Metroid: Zero Mission yet it's too overpriced that it makes the game look like a bad value when you compare it to the HD collections for series like MGS, KH, God Of War, DMC, etc.

Eusis

What are you referring to?
At least in the past they've been against straight re-releases without at least some new content, I believe it may've cost us some PSP ports and there have been cases like the Team Ico games and Peace Walker that were stand alone in Japan but bundled here. Admittedly I wouldn't really want to get those Team Ico games alone, but I do imagine a case could've been made for PW as a stand alone $30 title, especially given it was a fairly new game and not a re-release of something that was over 5 years old., and with online play thrown in.
You could make a point for the GBA ports of 2D Mario's, Yoshi's Island, and Donkey Kong Country. However, all of those remakes you listed made far far more substantial changes to the original game than Wind Waker did, especially something like Metroid: Zero Mission which is practically a brand new game that used the original Metroid as a template.
Yeah, HeartGold trashtalk aside those really are better examples. Wind Waker admittedly seems to be in the middle between a straight port and a full remake, but that's still ahead of 90%+ of the HD releases seen on other platforms, closer to the Halo one that DID go for $40.

Roto13

They are modifying it to make it less tedious, but it is still in the game which blows. Really it sounds like they are just making the shitty parts of Wind Waker less shitty, instead of actually adding new gameplay content to the game. I think that is what is irking a lot of people, this game is stuck in a weird ground where it doesn't fit in with games that are complete overhauls of the original like Metroid: Zero Mission yet it's too overpriced that it makes the game look like a bad value when you compare it to the HD collections for series like MGS, KH, God Of War, DMC, etc.

Wind Waker doesn't have shitty parts.

Way to miss the point entirely.

Sami+

Other than that one really long shitty part towards the end, yeah, I agree.

seriously, that god damn Triforce bullshit kept Wind Waker from being my favorite 3D Zelda. Thank god it's out this time.

This game is the highest reviewed console game that has been remastered in HD so far. I would pay 60 for it. For those bitching, I have a solution, Don't purchase a copy.

Roto13

Other than that one really long shitty part towards the end, yeah, I agree.

seriously, that god damn Triforce bullshit kept Wind Waker from being my favorite 3D Zelda. Thank god it's out this time.

I didn't even realize I was doing a Triforce quest until it was half over. I was exploring the world map anyway, because it was an adventure game.

amr

Banned
How much were those New Play Control! games on Wii?

I realize Wind Waker HD is a more substantial upgrade than those games were, but I'm still curious.

Gartooth

It has plenty, although aside from the Triforce hunt at the end they are mostly minor complaints. (Sailing speed, having to do the same Wind Waker sequence all the time to change direction of the wind, etc.)

Holy shit at some of these posts.
$50 is too much for everything they've done to the game?

Balls to that.
$50 is the basic game price. That's just fine.

EDIT: I GUESS IT'S THE BASIC PRICE FOR THE OTHER CONSOLES AND NOT THE WIIU. That, or maybe I'm just lucky shopping at mom and pop shops. >.<

Eusis

oh sony's still doing that bullshit. neat.

edit: before people jump on this, i'm more against the random 'we won't let you localize this' requirements.
Technically SE's have been in development for awhile, so if policy changes hit they'd be kinda slow to take advantage of them, though it wouldn't surprise me that for all Sony's doing good they'd still do this. And they can probably afford to, because it is ostensibly pro-consumer even though I question how good of an idea it truly is.
Becuase those were remakes not HD Remasters.
This looks to be a remake too, at least on the level of those two games but not something like Zero Mission that's straight up a new game using a familiar scenario.

You can get the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection for the that price...

For $50 bucks, that game better be the best goddamn reimagining we've seen yet. I'm talking like a top to bottom reworking on that triforce fetch quest kind of overhaul

Fair enough. :/

Wait, is the Legacy collection out? o_O
I went to Walmart yesterday, and didn't even see it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
"What makes Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time on the 3DS remakes but this not?"
Why does this need to be asked? The assets for the 3DS games you are referencing were completely overhauled and updated.

amr

Banned
I too expected $60, and I believe it's because of how tall Wind Waker HD stands in the Wii U's current library.

It's a major release. HD releases are usually just treats.

Spiderduff

This game is the highest reviewed console game that has been remastered in HD so far. I would pay 60 for it. For those bitching, I have a solution, Don't purchase a copy.

upvotes, likes, takemymoney.gif all for you sir. Please take them. Seriously.

People, all they want to do is complain.I will be there day 1 for this game.

Eusis

Why does this need to be asked? The assets for the 3DS games you are referencing were completely overhauled and updated.
While this doesn't seem to be redoing the assets like OoT3D did it is adding shaders (... for better or worse) and tuning the gameplay to some extent. This seems to be in a similar territory as those games, maybe a bit lower on the remake scale but it's not quite binary either short of "is it a straight emulation/code recompile or no?"

Revven

Uhh... OoT3D still uses the same world models and NPC models just like Wind Waker does except they improved their textures/details. I guess you could argue the pre-rendered rooms inside houses/buildings as new assets and stuff but everything else about OoT3D is the same as what Wind Waker HD is doing.

87wVhJg.png

So I guess there is going to be a hard mode?

And yeah, $50 is definitely too expensive, but I honestly thought they might go $60, so I'll take what I can get. And I guess there's still a chance this actually isn't the final price. Hopefully we get a Direct fairly soon that details the announced titles that haven't released yet.

Eusis

Uhh... OoT3D still uses the same world models and NPC models just like Wind Waker does except they improved their textures/details. I guess you could argue the pre-rendered rooms inside houses/buildings as new assets and stuff but everything else about OoT3D is the same as what Wind Waker HD is doing.
You'd be amazed at how different it can be. I've seen it described as a remake that LOOKS like you remember it did, and that should probably be the ideal for 3D updates.
87wVhJg.png

So I guess there is going to be a hard mode?

And yeah, $50 is definitely too expensive, but I honestly thought they might go $60, so I'll take what I can get. And I guess there's still a chance this actually isn't the final price. Hopefully we get a Direct fairly soon that details the announced title that haven't released yet.
It's worth remembering too that for those with the Deluxe system you could just download it and get $5 back, effectively making it $45. And if you don't pay sales tax on digital downloads in your state that's a bit more saved.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
$40 would be generally acceptable, therefore charge $50. That's pretty much what happened. How is the Wii U install base doing though? This won't sell as much as they hope.

If Nintendo finished those 2 dungeons they could barely squeak by a $50 price tag, but they're not there. This is panic mode Nintendo in the worst way, they needed a title to fill in the gaps, WW remaster fits the bill.

I would be the most hyped for a WW remake but this is not it unfortunately.

rockx4

OoT3D actually has additional content though. I bought it but felt it should have been $30 instead of $40.

Are the gameplay changes more substantial than I thought? This seems awfully high given Okami HD was released for $19.99.

Though I know I'll cave and buy it anyway. Games like this are the best.

hamchan

I too expected $60, and I believe it's because of how tall Wind Waker HD stands in the Wii U's current library.

It's a major release. HD releases are usually just treats.

Is that mainly because the Wii U library doesn't have much?

b3b0p

This will go o.o.p. before Nintendo drops any price on it.

In a year, people will be back making threads how pissed they are this is selling for $300 used on the bay.

Gartooth

Are the gameplay changes more substantial than I thought? This seems awfully high given Okami HD was released for $19.99.

Though I know I'll cave and buy it anyway. Games like this are the best.

Not really, the game's biggest changes come from the graphical update to HD and the tweaking of the artstyle, along with including basic Wii U features (Off-TV, Gampad controls, Miiverse) and some tweaks to the gameplay (faster sailing). It's more remaster than remake.

But yeah if you want the game unfortunately your stuck with the base price because Nintendo never cuts the price of their games. Case in point, just did a quick check and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is still being sold for $50 despite being a 3 year old game on a dead console.

Top Bottom