• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

Aters

Man how much of a disaster would it be for square if 15 ends up a bad game, they are putting all there eggs in this basket

Edit: this was supposed to go on the other FF thread, oh well

There are other baskets such as DQ11, KH3 and Deus Ex for SE. They are not the company they once was that relied solely on FF.

Teknoman

Still jonesing for a decent budget console Square turn based rpg, but just the potential of a high quality Bizarro Sephiroth battle...

Actually I also hope that the money from VIIR and XV allow to make more original stuff like Nier and not just contstant franchise titles for consoles.

LordofPwn

This is what I originally had in mind when they said episodic.

Excited. Love the bit about them hoping development takes less time than FFXV. Late 2017/early 2018 is my guess.

Depends on when KH3 comes out.

Boke1879

This is what I originally had in mind when they said episodic.

Excited. Love the bit about them hoping development takes less time than FFXV. Late 2017/early 2018 is my guess.

Depends on when KH3 comes out.

I think right as XV launches and is out for a bit you'll see them start focusing more on KH 3. That has to be further along in dev time at this point.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like this backpedaling from the episodic announcement. Now its episodic, as in a trilogy.
Backpedalling?

More like Square not realizing that "episodic" had come to mean something weird in the western press.

How come George Lucas could announce Episode I without people thinking its a 20 minute bite sized chunk of a whole movie?

It's actually weird that "episodic" acquired such bizzare connotations in the gaming industry lately.

it wasnt a negative statement im just saying i like this much more than a telltale episodic model.
Which was never ever happening.

Beth Cyra

Personally I think they should have to defer to the Gooch before they make any changes

Enough fucking around
The story changed so dramatically from Gooch's original pitch it's barely recognizable.

Why should he have any input on this? Even more so over Nojima?

LordofPwn

Backpedalling?

More like Square not realizing that "episodic" had come to mean something weird in the western press.

How come George Lucas could announce Episode I without people thinking its a 20 minute bite sized chunk of a whole movie?

It's actually weird that "episodic" acquired such bizzare connotations in the gaming industry lately.

Which was never ever happening.
"Parts" probably doesn't translate as well as episodic does.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That would be dumb.

Aeris is dead, she should just be dead, maybe expound upon her a little bit to make it more impactful or something so you can justify doing it again, but bringing her back in some convoluted Chrono Trigger manner would be dumb.

So what you're saying is that you want the story to be exactly the same with no surprises? That sounds a lot closer to "dumb."

It also seems unlikely given how they've already said they're changing the Honey Bee Inn (and probably mansion) which was pretty significant to the intro of the game, weird or not

This was always the case, ever since the "episodic" talk began. This comment is for people like yourself that didn't get the memo.

A memo that didn't exist... The specific multi-part format was not specified and it was open for interpretation after Hitman from the same publisher.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-reason-multi-part-release-cyberconnect2-collaboration-more

Kitase: “The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning. We still can’t share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements.”

In short, you're wrong, we didn't know, insiders aside obviously.

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-psx-2015-message-yoshinori-kitase

Elios83

I like this backpedaling from the episodic announcement. Now its episodic, as in a trilogy.

They're not backpedaling, they have always said they had to split the game into multiple games because of how huge it is and because they're also planning to add things.
But the plan was not to turn this into a Tell Tale season :p

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
$180 to get the complete FF7 remake experience. That's assuming there's no DLC.

Canadians looking at $240. If it turns out well I can say it was well worth it. Releasing it as a trilogy also allows them to take more feedback and input in between. Hoping for the best.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The word episodic never came from Square.
Even if they had, I think it's wrong to let that word get hijacked by assumptions of being in smaller bite-sized pieces.

Stories have been broken up into episodes for a long time. It shouldn't imply anything about length, pricing, release strategy, etc.

Lothar

Banned
FF7 was a great game, one of my favorites, but the plot could have been a hell of a lot better. It peaks at Midgar and goes downhill after that imo. Any plot changes are probably good.

$180 to get the complete FF7 remake experience. That's assuming there's no DLC.

Canadians looking at $240. If it turns out well I can say it was well worth it. Releasing it as a trilogy also allows them to take more feedback and input in between. Hoping for the best.

I really hope there is no story DLC at all. It would be an insult if I'm honest.

Narroo

FF7 was a great game, one of my favorites, but the plot could have been a hell of a lot better. It peaks at Midgar and goes downhill after that imo. Any plot changes are probably good.

Have you seen Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XIII, or any of the Final Fantasy VII spin offs?

It only makes sense to split the game in half (disc 1/discs 2 and 3) because of story flow and game content, but I guess this means it'll be 3.

Midgar is a tiny, tiny part of the game and expanding it to a full title will require them to scale down the rest of it.

lol damn you guys get real touchy real fast. Im as hyped as anyone for the remake.

Come on, people are just correcting you. From the beginning, they've made it clear that it never was the Telltale model. People just read the word "episodic" and jumped to conclusions.

DKHF

3 full sized games sounds good to me, and this is what I've expected since when they said it would be multi-part.

I will let them do whatever they want but reserve the right to hate it, and I will really really really hope that I don't.

I am not happy with the episodes, but remember why the LOTR trilogy was so good Square Enix -- all films were made at the same time, even if their releases were staggered.

Do not leave FF7 remake unfinished, or allow it to destroy itself.

making yuffie and vincent required to improve later cutscenes would be good changes. Im sure they will just do something fucking stupid though

People really want three separate 30 hour games to tell the final fantasy VII story? Would that not be a bit overkill. 30+ hours for the whole game would be sufficient enough to me.
the original took 60 on a first playthrough

Jaymageck

I am okay with them having plot changes in terms of new content and some minor stuff here and there.

I am not okay if they end up retconning their "Compilation of FFVII". Even though I didn't play Crisis Core or Before Crisis, I think it's only fair to the fans if any changes don't contradict the extended story.

Obviously this means character deaths have to stay.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why do some of you guys think Midgar is gonna be all one game? It had better not be.

Thats like 10% in, tops. The Sephiroth going into the flames flashback would be a neat ending, but even then that is really, really, really early into the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
How do you guys think they will handle the music? I mean the score is so completely classic and its been remixed a bunch. Honestly id be disappointed if they completely redid it. Almost an insult even.

Sesha

it wasnt a negative statement im just saying i like this much more than a telltale episodic model.

I wasn't criticising you, just clarifying that they spoke of multiple releases from the beginning.

A memo that didn't exist... The specific multi-part format was not specified and it was open for interpretation after Hitman from the same publisher.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-reason-multi-part-release-cyberconnect2-collaboration-more

In short, you're wrong, we didn't know, insiders aside obviously.

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-psx-2015-message-yoshinori-kitase

Except you quote the key phrase right here: "The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning."

"not fit into a single release." Then someone used the word episodic and everyone lost their shit. Something like Hitman on the other hand is a single release. Same format as SF5.

Single release vs. multiple releases.

So no, I'm not.

Juraash

If they have it in episodes as big as a XIII entry I don't really see that as bad. Contrary to real life, big chunks are easier to swallow than a bunch of small ones.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How do you guys think they will handle the music? I mean the score is so completely classic and its been remixed a bunch. Honestly id be disappointed if they completely redid it. Almost an insult even.

Of course it'd be an insult. They are going to use Uematsu's tunes. Remastered versions.

Maybe a few new tracks sprinkled about.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I wasn't criticising you, just clarifying that they spoke of multiple releases from the beginning.

Except you quote the key phrase right here: "“The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning."

"not fit into a single release." Then someone used the word episodic and everyone lost their shit. Something like Hitman on the other hand is a single release. Same format as SF5.

Single release vs. multiple releases.

So no, I'm not.

Yes, you are. "Not fit into a single release" was open to interpretation, as you could argue episodic games are multiple releases. I wasn't sure it was episodic, I was hoping it was just multiple games, but I'm happy that it is indeed multiple games. It really was open to interpretation and that's why it was just clarified...

Aters

Uematsu is always on good term with SE, so no need to worry about the scores.

Final Fantasy 7 is a good game, with good gameplay and a good plot.

This remake is going to have heavy changes to the combat and plot. Hrrrrm.

Colby

Not sure if it's been brought up, but could we be getting a PS4K upgrade with this game? Could this beautiful trilogy get 2x prettier? I assume the second and third installments will be compatible with the PS4K upgrade; I'm wondering about the first release.

I'm wondering if by changes it could mean more characters dying than just the ones who did in the original. Characters like
Rufus and Don Corneo's fates are left up to the player's imagination although are heavily implied dead unless you see or read future titles in the compilation
[/SPOILER].

Spman2099

The most important thing is to keep the game feeling somewhat grounded. They can't do what they did with Crisis Core, or Advent Children. Don't give into spectacle, Square. It doesn't help your stories. In fact, it tends to hurt them.

- J - D -

I don't ever want to hear or see FFXIII name dropped in any way or by any association ever again with anything Final Fantasy related this point onward.

Or more like 2014 onwards.

bitbydeath

That title though.
Should have said just like the original but full size games on each disc and sold separately.

2831355-finalfantasy73cd.jpg

Plot changes had better be just to clarify unclear elements of the original plot.

If they go completely off the rails from the original game's story, oh boy.

butman

Why divide a game in three parts that previously was only one?

Ok SE release it "episodically" but i will buy the GOTY edition without a doubt.
I'll hate to wait a whole year to see what happens next. It's sooo Telltale.

Illucio

Banned
Well.. The original game was 3 discs. So a trilogy isn't really out of the question.

I don't mind this as long as Square:

Makes sure each game story lasts between 40-50 hours (not including mini games)
The story on itself is a story arc that closes at the end, with the overall story arc spanning 3 games.
Includes Mini Games for all 3 titles (Card game? Golden Saucer? Snowboarding? Motorcycle driving. All the works.)

My guess on how the game will provide best pacing:

Part 1 - Everything leading up to Shinra Building Break in/Break Out with Motorcycle at the end being unlocked. (Golden Saucer already there.)

Part 2 - Everything leading up to Aerith's Death and then having to play the game a little after focusing on the a couple of the story arcs afterwards/dealing with the loss of Aerith with a closure of acceptance/revenge on Sephiroth (Oh and snowboarding being added.)

Part 3 - Everything leading up to finale with Hojo and Defeating Sephiroth. With all that last minute end game content, mini games, and whatever else they decide to add as well.

Top Bottom