• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

benzy

It should be noted the "shorter development time" is referring to the 10 years it's taken for FFXV (including its Versus concepts), not after XV's development reboot in 2012.

How much do you guys think each game will cost to purchase? My friends and i are arguing about it. They are aaying 60 bucks per game. I think it will be less
$60. They're doing three full games.

A big part of it being split up is that it's going to take a lot of time and a lot of money to reimagine (and expand upon) FF7 at the fidelity shown so far. They're going to capitalize on that expense.

Boke1879

How much do you guys think each game will cost to purchase? My friends and i are arguing about it. They are aaying 60 bucks per game. I think it will be less

It's going to be $60. They aren't going to leave money on the table here when it comes to this game. Also expect Sony to bundle this game with a LE PS4 and expect a CE for it. And when all parts are released they'll bundle them together as well.

They will absolutely charge top dollar for this. They know people will eat it up.

Wait, FF7 is being released episodically?

PS: I wouldn't mind the XIII trilogy being re-released on current gen consoles. I didn't play much of the first or the second, but I enjoyed the first for what it was, and I actually like Lightning sooo...

antitrop

They will probably be $60 standalone each at retail, with like some kind of Season Pass option to get all of them for cheaper.

It's going to be $60. They aren't going to leave money on the table here when it comes to this game. Also expect Sony to bundle this game with a LE PS4 and expect a CE for it. And when all parts are released they'll bundle them together as well.

They will absolutely charge top dollar for this. They know people will eat it up.

Well yeah, Square isn't in the best shape right now and this is their "WE NEED MONEY" emergency button.

They can only do it once, they might as well get as much as they can for it.

Elios83

Yeah I was expecting that.
Three games, similarly to the concept of the three discs in the original, forming a trilogy like the FFXIII series.
I'm looking forward to see an update at E3.

What's reassuring to me here is that they give us a specific frame of reference to estimate the game's length against. I'd be fine with three separate games of that size.

Also, keep Aeris dead, keep that entire Zack mess as minimal as it was in the original.. Basically make everything outside of the original some kind of expanded universe type shit, because every story element it added was horrible.

Glad it's not 10 bite-sized episodes. But this is going to entail quite a bit of expansion to fill out 3 full retail releases.

Excited to see how Nomura, Nojima and Kitase flesh out the plot, but also a little worried this means no FF XVI for about 10 years. Unless they recruit a Western team to do it...

IzzyF3

I'm still overjoyed by FFVII's remake. To say that the game will be split in 3 full length games is just fantastic. I never played Mass Effecr, but besides the ending, I bought people loved that game.

Maniel

Banned
Well yeah, Square isn't in the best shape right now and this is their "WE NEED MONEY" emergency button.

They can only do it once, they might as well get as much as they can for it.

Not true. Square is actually in pretty good financial shape and they are making great money off of their mobile games and mmos.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If its $180 bucks total. No thanks for me. Will wait for the eventual ps5 4k remaster.
I mean, it's 3 separate full scale games. It's like any other trilogy.

It's like refusing to see Star Wars because they're going to charge you for 3 movie tickets.

It's funny how people think of this as buying 1/3rd of a game when the amount of content will certainly not reflect that. It will be 3 games.

KoopaTheCasual

Isn't this almost exactly what they said back at PSX, but people just went "Oh no that's just what they want you to think. Let me tell you what they're really going to do!" ?
Yes, exactly this.

See Kagari? I told you there were a bunch of misinformed people on Gaf who were actually fooling themselves to think that "episodic" meant 5 hour games

DSix

Banned
In regards to FFVII remake. Looking at the FFXIII saga as a model of release (three full-fledged games). Each game will be the size of a FFXIII game is specifically stated. In other words full scale 30+ hour RPG, and they also say plot wise nothing is off the table in terms of changes.

61GntfG.gif

I like the three act idea.

Act 1 is the Opening until the team leaves Midgar.
Act 2 is exploring the world until Cloud
hands over the Black Materia and Aeris/Aerith is killed.
Act 3 is Cloud's
awakening
and the end of the game.

Simple, really.

They can cram so much into that. The Turks show up across all three games, Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie and Vincent don't arrive until game 2, the WEAPONS don't arrive until the end of game 2, the Golden Saucer and Costa Del Sol are relaxation points, etc., etc.

Hmmm. I was already excited before, but now I'm getting kinda hyped beyond what I should be.
The changes are that none of these never happen. Especially leaving Midgar.

Raguel

I mean, it's 3 separate full scale games. It's like any other trilogy.

It's like refusing to see Star Wars because they're going to charge you for 3 movie tickets.
I understand that. But it's not a purchase for me because its not worth it for me to buy 3 separate games for a remake of a game i liked but didn't love. I didn't condemn it or squares plan. I hope it sells and people buy it. So.....I guess we're cool?

Yes, exactly this.

See Kagari? I told you there were a bunch of misinformed people on Gaf who were actually fooling themselves to think that "episodic" meant 5 hour games

How were they misinformed when there was literally no information? They could have mentioned specifically what they had in mind in terms of length if they wanted to reassure people. They never mentioned the scope would be in the same vein as the FF XIII trilogy. I was definitely one of the people who was apprehensive. Now we have a marker they are accountable for meeting.

BocoDragon

Glad it's not 10 bite-sized episodes. But this is going to entail quite a bit of expansion to fill out 3 full retail releases.

Excited to see how Nomura, Nojima and Kitase flesh out the plot, but also a little worried this means no FF XVI for about 10 years. Unless they recruit a Western team to do it...
Just translating those 15 second text-only cutscenes into full cinematic sequences, or turning 5 room dungeons into fully 3D HD environments will probably beef up the content of the game alone.

I don't think they'll have to expand much beyond the scenario of the original in order to make this fill multiple modern games. In fact the original scenario will still probably be trimmed of some of its fat when the whole thing is completed.

Fuck yeah, one game for each disk.

Well... probably not since disk 3 was basically just the last dungeon.

The FF7: Remake Trilogy will probably be out on PS4K with the rumors swirling around.

BocoDragon

I understand that. But it's not a purchase for me because its not worth it for me to buy 3 separate games for a remake of a game i liked but didn't love. I didn't condemn it or squares plan. I hope it sells and people buy it. So.....I guess we're cool?
No way man... We got serious beef right now.

(Seems fair)

Just translating those 15 second text-only cutscenes into full cinematic sequences, or turning 5 room dungeons into fully 3D HD environments will probably beef up the content of the game alone.

I don't think they'll have to expand much beyond the scenario of the original in order to make this fill multiple modern games. In fact scenario will still probably be trimmed of some of its fat when the whole thing is completed.

Hadn't thought of that, very true. Stuff like getting from town to town too could also take way longer, with contextual party chat on the way.

Zoator

I think it will be a bit disappointing if, like in the FFXIII trilogy, your character progression doesn't carry over from game to game. It made sense for story reasons in FFXIII (each game didn't even feature the same characters), but it wouldn't in FFVII.

Teknoman

Im still weary about this...I still dont feel like Square has ever been that great at action rpgs. Sure they're usually amazing when it comes to graphics and audio, but gameplay wise...theres always something that feels a little too stiff or too easy / automated.

Aters

I think it will be a bit disappointing if, like in the FFXIII trilogy, your character progression doesn't carry over from game to game. It made sense for story reasons in FFXIII (each game didn't even feature the same characters), but it wouldn't in FFVII.

They will carry over for sure. Falcom figured that out on PSP, can't see why SE can't.

LowParry

Im still weary about this...I still dont feel like Square has ever been that great at action rpgs. Sure they're usually amazing when it comes to graphics and audio, but gameplay wise...theres always something that feels a little too stiff or too easy / automated.

Well we have the opportunity to judge FFXV. So we have that to start off with.

Walpurgis

Banned
This sounds soooooo much better than what was initially suggested or at least how I understood it. The dev time makes my pants tight. I just hope each of the instalments is open world.

Man how much of a disaster would it be for square if 15 ends up a bad game, they are putting all there eggs in this basket

Edit: this was supposed to go on the other FF thread, oh well

Midgar and the slums, reactors, and Shin-Ra HQ being the first game would be a surprise because it's barely 4-7 hours in the original game.

That said, I'd actually be interested in that... Would be interesting to explore more of the slums, 'life below the pizza' a la Hengsha in Deus Ex Human Revolution. Maybe make each event a bigger event: almost similar to Heist preparation from GTA V where you get some agency, or at least on par with the Wall Market.

So, some preparation, character choice, and more opportunity to develop Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie, while preparing to do the second bombing run. Then, similarly, something akin to the Wall Market for the HQ raid... the climb up and the opening pan down is rather perfect but there could be more preparation done so that Don Corneo's mansion is not a greater task to infiltrate than the Shin-Ra HQ raid.

Would be interesting to see free roam content, as well. General exploration of the slums... much less Ubisoft but more Grand Theft Auto... not questing, just exploration and being able to walk amidst, interact with, etc the people in the slums or upper levels. Managing the Avalanche organization, and sending a team out on dispatch missions against Shin-Ra a la Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. Raiding smaller Shin-Ra offices or warehouses a la Shadowrun (Sega Genesis).

An entire game out of Midgar would lack variety but by focusing on just Midgar and saving the overworld for game two could result in a much better overworld going forward. Either that or at least end at the meeting in Kalm -- which would allow for basically an overworld 'beta' before game 2 fully creates the rest of the two main continents. So, the end-game is either sneaking back into Midgar to perform various Avalanche free roam content for Barret, or simply Cloud preparing and training the group on the overworld in preparation for Sephiroth.

legacyzero

Banned
Ok. NEW FUCKING RULE. Never mention VII and XIII in the samw sentence. Ever lol.

On a serious note, I wouldnt be against this if it were 90's Squaresoft handling it.

BocoDragon

This sounds soooooo much better than what was initially suggested. I just hope each of the instalments is open world.
It was never initially suggested. Square could have handled the announcement better, but the media who thought it was episodic like Telltale don't have half a brain.

It is episodic. Like Star Wars is episodic. Like Mass Effect or Xenosaga are episodic. I think the media have to think about the bite-sized episodic business model so much that it caused them to interpret this in a crazy way.

jett

D-Member
I definitely expect the first chapter to be all Midgar. I'd also be surprised if they went the open world route with this "series", considering they want to put these games out on a timely manner.

BocoDragon

VII was 30 hours, less from my recollection.

Are they just gonna pad it out or what?
What were you doing in those 30 hours? Think back to it. Mashing through boxes of text for 10 seconds in between running around on 4-5 jpegs that passed for a village or a dungeon.

Imagine if all of those were up to modern standards. Actual cinematics, actual 3D environments. You can't run through a modern town scene in 8 seconds. You can't represent a major plot point with 30 seconds of text boxes.

I still think with an episodic VII remake, the worry is what to cut out, not how to pad it.

Ok. NEW FUCKING RULE. Never mention VII and XIII in the samw sentence. Ever lol.

On a serious note, I wouldnt be against this if it were 90's Squaresoft handling it.

Nomura, Kitase, Nojima is about as close to 90s era SE as you're going to get these days. If they brought in Gooch to consult, there you go.

Boke1879

I definitely expect the first chapter to be all Midgar. I'd also be surprised if they went the open world route with this "series", considering they want to put these games out on a timely manner.

I think a pseudo open world could possibly work. Especially if they decide to do it in the 2nd part. Because you can kinda forget about Midgar at that point as you won't be going back until the end of the game.

Top Bottom