• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

I find it odd that they would use the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy as a base for how long they should make each game. Those games, ( can't say for LR) were too long and full of padding. They could have easily cut the games in half and they would've been better for it.

I do like 13 btw.

BriGuy

It sounds like sacrilege, but I say change it up. I recently played through the PS4 port of the original and had totally forgotten what a screwball second and third act that game has. It wouldn't translate well to a modern game at all.

Just leave out any Gackt shit and we'll be ok.

Rajang

BRING ON GENESIS

Keep him far away from FFVII Remake.

I loved Crisis Core, but Genesis was unbearable.
The gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the GoddessThe gift of the Goddess

Kill me.

Foffy

Banned
Shorter development cycle doesn't sound like a thing to praise, actually. XV in any of its incarnation has simply been in the womb too long, so the comment basically comes off as "we'll try not to embarrass ourselves yet again with a terrible development cycle."

It also fails to really put it in as a timetable. Are we getting all three games this generation? Can these be annualized entries much like they are trying with HITMAN's seasons?

Platy

I tell you what, they better keep Don Corneo and The Honey Bee Inn. Those segments stand out among the FF legacy.

They can keep it in ... just change LOTS of parts, specialy the gym one =P

But would be interesting to make the best option to each outfit to make Cloud cosplay as Lightning xD

padopodo

I'd be grateful if they somehow managed to remake and integrate Crisis Core into all of this. I enjoyed that game more than I did 7.

pablito

Three games max is a good split. Totally fine with that. If we see Aeris (please keep it Aeris I don't care if Aerith is correct or not) again through some vision that's fine, but do not bring her back.

And I'm quite sure the part where there's the soldiers surrounding Cloud before he jumps on the train is in the OG game.

And they're going to bring in Genesis aren't they. Ugh. Don't bring in Genesis. You will. But don't.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Screenshot this: the FF7 Remake is going to be trashed by reviewers and fans alike. It'll be the Hobbit Trilogy of video games.

Well, we can hedge our bets.

FFXV
FFVIIR
KH3

All 3 will sell well, and between the 3 of them at least 1 has to be good.

raven777

I find it odd that they would use the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy as a base for how long they should make each game. Those games, ( can't say for LR) were too long and full of padding. They could have easily cut the games in half and they would've been better for it.

I do like 13 btw.

XIII had decent length for JRPG and XIII-2 and LR was quite short

A-V-B

Well, we can hedge our bets.

FFXV
FFVIIR
KH3

All 3 will sell well, and between the 3 of them at least 1 has to be good.

Best case scenario, we're looking at three "okay" games with big flaws that aren't quite huge enough to make the diehards run away.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Best case scenario, we're looking at three "okay" games with big flaws that aren't quite huge enough to make the diehards run away.

Thats like middle case scenario!

Best case is all 3 are excellent, sell well, and are praised by critics and fans alike for generations to come. Children will look back on them as the Golden Nu Squeenix Era.

Been waiting for KH3 since I finished KH2. The game could literally be a disaster and I'd still eat it up.

A-V-B

Thats like middle case scenario!

Best case is all 3 are excellent, sell well, and are praised by critics and fans alike for generations to come. Children will look back on them as the Golden Nu Squeenix Era.

Guess I'm just at the point where I think that the Final Fantasy department surviving as a non-Pachinko franchise maker is the real miracle to shoot for.

Wagram

I'm alright with three separate games or whatever they choose. The ONLY thing i'm totally against is bullshit download only episodic nonsense until they release the entire thing on a disc.

Muzy72

Banned
So much negativity in this thread. I have high hopes that all 3 FF7 games, FFXV, and KH3 will all be fantastic games and sell well too. I believe in this new era of Square Enix.

A-V-B

I hope you're right.

Me too, as well.

Like, I totally want things to go well. I want a return to what made Square great. I do not wish for their downfall.

But why should a machine built in a specific configuration suddenly reject its own function?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh.

Still don't know how they're going to cut things to make things feel 'satisfactory' without gimping the 3rds to some extent. Especially because by and large (barring massive changes), we 'know' what's going to happen, at least generally.

But I don't know if that's just the purist in me talking or not.

I'm almost more concerned about how they plan to change the RPG systems throughout each of the new 'trilogy'.

wtd2009

Scenario 3:

FF7R-I: Midgar-Junon
FF7R-II: Costa del Sol-North Crater
FF7R-III: Back in Junon-Ending

This sounds perfect. They could make a ton of game out of that second part, so much travel involved.

Can't wait for this, just want to be immersed in the FF7 world again, I'm cool with some plot changes in order to refine their vision.

Sounds good as long as that plan doesn't include the budget decrease seen in the XIII saga.

I don't mind changes to the plot, but I hope that doesn't mean any Genesis or DoC characters making an appearance. Truth be told, the characters added to VII after VII are pretty poor all around with the exception of Cissnei.

jholmes

Wow, they want FF7R to take less than a decade to make? How ambitious of them

Seriously. How sad is it that they even have to say that? How said is it that I'm somehow still unsure they'll be able to do it? All they really have to do is come up with their new systems (presumably stuff already implemented in FFXIII and FFXV!) and recreate modern versions of the assets, really, and I still feel like this is set for development hell.

The story changed so dramatically from Gooch's original pitch it's barely recognizable.

Why should he have any input on this? Even more so over Nojima?

Make it so that they all have a veto. This way basically nothing can get changed.

That's the point of a remake anyway, isn't it? To play the same game? This isn't supposed to be some sort of alternate history version of FFVII where the Nazis win World War II and make Midgar their capital or something.

saturnine

They're going to turn it into shit aren't they.

Then again, everything in the FF7 extended universe is garbage story-wise, so why would this be different.

Banned
I can see the troll job now. Aeris lives at the end of episode 1 (disc 1) surviving a grave injury. Controversy ensues on gaf and the Internet about how the artistic integrity was ruined and the original game has been butchered.

In episode 2 she dies from injuries right at the beginning and Tabata tweets trollface.jpg and more controversy ensues because conspiracy theorists say he was pressured into killing of Aeris and not sticking to his creative alteration.

Their plan as they state it actually sounds like a great idea. That being said, seems like a lot of time and money to spend on a remake. I'm really excited for it, especially since FFVII is better than most current RPG faire; but I think if I had to choose between this and a new game/s I would choose the latter.

Just to clear one thing up the article never specifically states its 3 games. Just that it will be similar to the FFXIII structure, that it will be multiple full length games, and that each will be approx the length of one of the FFXIII games.

Technically it could be 2 or even 4 games. Though with them referencing FFXIII so much 3 is a solid estimate

Begaria

I'm down for FFVII-1, FFVII-2, and FFVII-3. Consistent releases within a decent time frame is all I ask.

If they invent a whole subplot where you resurrect Aeris I'm gonna nope the fuck outta there.

If they start calling it a reinterpretation, then people might expect significant plot changes. But a remake carries with it the expectation that the original game is fundamentally intact in terms of world and story. They better not fuck with that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Maybe they want to shock people with Aerith's death like they did originally. Maybe they think just redoing it the same way would lack any and all impact. Maybe instead... they'll kill Tifa.

Begaria

Maybe they want to shock people with Aerith's death like they did originally. Maybe they think just redoing it the same way would lack any and all impact. Maybe instead... they'll kill Tifa.

Canonically, they couldn't kill anyone else considering there are already two "Sequels" to FFVII in Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children.

poodaddy

I'm honestly not interested in an FF7 saga, it just doesn't need to be stretched out like that. I won't pay $180 for something I could buy right now for $15. New graphics and game mechanics can't justify that kind of price difference to me.

ZenTzen

i dread to think what changes they are gonna make, as long astheres no compilation bull in there i'll be fine, i really dont wanna see any Genesis stuff, or that stupid depiction of Zacks death from Crisis Core.

the stuff about expanding Biggs, Wedge and Jessie is what i assume they are referencing with this, so that would be great, expanding the shinra side, like Reeve, or the turks and all the upper hinra management would be good to, or even stuff with Aerith in the lifestream, just please no compilation bull.

Please just make the game as faithful to the original as it possibly can be plot wise.

Top Bottom