• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that you feel just rolled off a production line

Thud

Going from Rayman 2 on the Dreamcast to Rayman 3 was an oddly dispiriting experience. One merged fantastic platforming with a magical kind of filmic grandeur. The other felt like a shitty French saturday morning cartoon.

Well that's because Ancel was the director on Rayman 2 and not on 3.

That first rabbids game would have been a platformer as well, but ubi turned it in a minigame fest.

Brakke

Banned
Persona 5 actually had this feeling for me. I enjoyed it overall but the ratio of new features in P5 to years since P4 approaches 0. You could easily get through without ever firing a gun, the interactive elements of dungeons are often ass or else barely-interactive anyway, and then there are a bunch of "new" mechanics in the Velvet Room but none of them matter. It's a new story but the engine driving the thing is barely changed. And there are so many mechanics in Persona that are overdue for rethinking (like romances reflecting in story beats) that leaving them unchanged was baffling.

Every Mega Man Battle Network game has this feeling. Loved 'em all tho.

There was a Vandal Hearts III???
ohhh.png~original

Should I even ask how it was?

Here's what the art looks like

vh_e3__20090528-08_tl9qsw3.jpg

vandal-hearts-flames-f9s2l.jpg

Do you really want to know more?

Series I like: Sequels are masterpieces lovingly handcrafted by expert artisans, or at the very least smart-but-safe evolutions on beloved tried and true formulas that delight wise fans like me

Series I don't like: Sequels are bland entertainment products created by soulless corporations, purchased only by self-deluded thralls who are held captive by their objectively inferior tastes
Edgy

Lynx_7

Man, it makes me super bummed to agree with this as someone who absolutely loved the original trilogy, but... Yeah. I actually put the game down last year and haven't come back to it yet. It's not even bad, but it feels so uninspired. I've heard the new one isn't much better either.

Edit: New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a great answer too.
Also, I'm sure a lot of effort went into making and animating those 3D models for Pokemon XY, but the rest of the game felt like the blandest, most on-rails campaign GameFreak ever crafted.

I seriously don't get this gif. Are people not allowed to have different opinions, here? Sheesh.

Lighten up! It's not saying that people can't have opinions, I believe it's merely a part of GAF culture to use that when two people have opposing opinions right after eachother...it's intended as good humor in case it wasn't clear before

Chumley

Banned
I felt this way with Dishonored 2.
Didn't even make it really far into it, sadly, because I couldn't get over how soulless it felt.

Same. I managed to finish it but it never came to life and just felt uninspired the entire way through.

Also, another vote for Far Cry: Primal. I was initially intrigued by the visuals and setting but quickly realized there's no fucking point to playing the game with no story to get invested in whatsoever. Soulless.

Forza series
Literally all EA Sports series
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Call of Duty series
Mass Effect Andromeda
New Super Mario Bros
Halo 5
Gears 4
90% of level 5's output
Animal Crossing series until New Leaf
Camelot Mario sports series post GCN/GBA era.
Mario Party series

Esp. the latter two ones are just plain uninspired, bland and bad games. How anybody enjoys them is beyond me. Ohwell, to each their own ¯_(ツ)_/¯
/thread

Majora's Mask
Metroid Prime 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2

All 3 are superb games (2 of my all time favs there), filled with ideas beyond the scope of the originals​ that came before and all solid as a rock gameplay wise...but all 3 are also full of asset flips, reused mechanics and on a surface level super difficult to differentiate from their predecessor.

It's the COD/Assassins Creed formula of making a game but with the Nintendo touch.

Fallout 4 - It wasn't New Vegas and it had dumb minecraft elements and the plot was an uninspiring mess with boring dialogue options.

Agreed. FO4 felt like it was created by a committee of people all trying to shoehorn in "what's hot in gaming right now". Thus FO4 was nothing but crafting, randomized loot and base building.
Call me old fashioned but I'd take one quest like Tenpenny Tower over all the crafting and base building in the world

Piers

Every Telltale game in the last few years ?

TellTale was always like this before the Walking Dead, which was something of an anomaly in quality and success. (The only other series to be all-around great was Borderlands)
In fairness, the writers did apparently depart Telltale after season one to work on Firewatch but then that game's writing is in highs and lows.
Edit: Ignore that, only one writer of TWD joined Firewatch.

nkarafo

Majora's Mask
But why?

This game was completely different than OOT and the whole 3 day - Groundhog Day system was a completely new thing in the franchise and probably in games generally (if not extremely rare).

I would go as far as to say that MM is the most original entry in the Zelda series. The only thing it shares with OTT is the engine and some visuals.

Majora's Mask is a misguided pick. It's probably the best game to make something wholly original feeling out of (some) reused assets and tech, I'm glad they didn't just make Ocarina of Time 2. In many ways MM is the perfect followup to Ocarina of Time because of its many differences.

Coming from OoT back then, or OoT 3D in 2015, MM3D still feels like a breath of fresh air.

Did you play it on Wii U or on PS4/XB1/PC? If the latter, then I'm not surprised it felt restrictive; you were playing a four-ish year old game...

I had it on Wii U, bought it again on Switch. I actually finished it on Switch (only did about 1/3 of the game on Wii U), but yeah, coming from Breath of the Wild probably made it feel even more restrictive.

Haganeren

Woah, i so not agree.

Yeah, it's strange to have PW back but to be honest, having a "Phoenix Dad" with disciples was a LOT MORE logic than the "depressed Phoenix" we had during PW4. (And which ended up doing everything for us anyway) They were a dynamic in the trio which was really cool as Apollo started to be interesting which is... Kinda incredible after PW4. I also liked the fact that each lawyer had its own style, that kind of little detail, i love it...

The new graphics engine alone which is way better than PW x PL is something which makes it already as impressive as that game.... And are we really telling that the cross over is better because it has Shu Takumi ? The game with the most most bullshit twist of all time ? (
Hey ! Every Black item is invisible ! And if you drink water you can be stop until you hear the bell again ! And don't tell me it's "as convulted as a Layton ending", it's not. The max Layton had don't come close to that. Oh, and the heroine ? Of course she has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, even by accident, yep, it's the other, always the other. The message behind that was so bad..... And Layton is just completely OP compared to Phoenix...
. Look i love Shu Takumi (Ghost Trick.....) but sometime even he can drop the ball.

So no, it's not, it's even the first Pheonix Wright from the Investigations team from what i remember. I don't think they took that game as "just another PW". The final twist was kinda awesome and the final affaire does have a cool dark tone. Is that a great PW ? I don't know, it depends of the person, for me it has a lot of flaws like having too much affair where the culpit is obvious but that teacher was so funny i didn't mind too much.

But it didn't "rolled off" the production line as another Assassin's Creed or that Mario Tennis or Wii U, that's for sure !

The new graphics engine alone which is way better than PW x PL is something which makes it already as impressive as that game.... And are we really telling that the cross over is better because it has Shu Takumi ? The game with the most most bullshit twist of all time ? (
Hey ! Every Black item is invisible ! And if you drink water you can be stop until you hear the bell again ! And don't tell me it's "as convulted as a Layton ending", it's not. The max Layton had don't come close to that. Oh, and the heroine ? Of course she has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, even by accident, yep, it's the other, always the other. The message behind that was so bad..... And Layton is just completely OP compared to Phoenix...
. Look i love Shu Takumi (Ghost Trick.....) but sometime even he can drop the ball

I agree with the general sentiment but the bolded just isn't true - Layton Vs AA is more technically ambitious than Ace Attorney 5, with more detailed environments and much better use of animation and camera angles. AA5 basically recreated the GBA/DS games with 3D graphics, even using the same camera angles that were shown as spritework and background art before, whereas Layton Vs AA went the extra mile with its camera and animations.

But yeah, overall it is harsh to call AA5 assembly line fodder, probably more poor execution in its writing and scenario, and a bit unambitious visually.

jem0208

Yeah it's a clear upgrade in balance and gameplay. I don't understand how people think it and H4 rolled off the assembly line. They're both very different, opinions aside, then the games that came before them.
It's a thread for complaining about games. You're going to get people who don't put any thought into their posts and are just posting games they don't like.

Haganeren

I agree with the general sentiment but the bolded just isn't true - Layton Vs AA is more technically ambitious than Ace Attorney 5, with more detailed environments and much better use of animation and camera angles. AA5 basically recreated the GBA/DS games with 3D graphics, even using the same camera angles that were shown as spritework and background art before, whereas Layton Vs AA went the extra mile with its camera and animations.

They just focused on something different. Layton NEED to have different environment, it's not "that" ambitious, that's just how Layton is. So yeah, they used it. The innovation of having different people during a cross examination feel way more natural than the "Emotion System" or whatever but can we really tell than the first is more ambitious than the other where they had to have a different picture made for each statement ? I don't think so. Maybe the latter is a BAD IDEA but that's not what we are talking about.

Finally, it's not as simple than you think to "create the feel of the GBA/DS games with 3D graphics", they had to do it several time to have the right feel. The animations felt especially good in PW5 and is dated for me in PWxPL (which came out earlier that being said)

So for me, the two game was equally as ambitious, they just didn't had the sames priority. PW5 have a Huge accent on character and how to make them feel like 2D but with still using the adventage of the 3D. Something hardly anyone did in the world of video game, and it's so natural we call it "laziness" now. PWxPL have the accent on using the numerous characters they had to make to fill the Professor Layton quota and they had excellents ideas to make it very natural.

But calling one more ambitious than the others is just plain unfair to me.

Vitor711

Doom II: It's a glorified map pack with one new weapon.

Mass Effect 3: Felt like a Mass Effect 2 expansion pack. It didn't fix the gameplay flaws introduced in its predecessor (like the near-complete lack of RPG systems), and didn't really add anything new in terms of gameplay or story.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue: A short remix of Black Flag with some Unity tie-ins. I enjoyed it, but this deserved expandalone pricing, not full game.

giphy.gif

Mass Effect 3 didn't fix the move away from dedicated RPG systems but to say it added nothing is plain wrong.

Combining Paragon/Renegade points into a single pool as opposed to the diametrically opposed bars from previous titles meant that you could actually alternate between good/bad without being penalised. You'd still unlock high level dialogue options even when playing shades of grey - it was a small change that had a HUGE difference in letting me actually role-play the Shepard I wanted.

Also, the combat wasn't just a step up, it was radically redesigned for the better. The (surprisingly) excellent multiplayer is testament to this. I never would have played an arena version of ME2's combat but I put dozens of hours into the third's.

Also, for all the sh*t ME3 gets for the way it ends, it also has some of my favourite narrative arcs (i.e. Mordin) from the entire series.

They just focused on something different. Layton NEED to have different environment, it's not "that" ambitious, that's just how Layton is. So yeah, they used it. The innovation of having different people during a cross examination feel way more natural than the "Emotion System" or whatever but can we really tell than the first is more ambitious than the other where they had to have a different picture made for each statement ? I don't think so. Maybe the latter is a BAD IDEA but that's not what we are talking about.

Finally, it's not as simple than you think to "create the feel of the GBA/DS games with 3D graphics", they had to do it several time to have the right feel. The animations felt especially good in PW5 and is dated for me in PWxPL (which came out earlier that being said)

So for me, the two game was equally as ambitious, they just didn't had the sames priority. PW5 have a Huge accent on character and how to make them feel like 2D but with still using the adventage of the 3D. Something hardly anyone did in the world of video game, and it's so natural we call it "laziness" now. PWxPL have the accent on using the numerous characters they had to make to fill the Professor Layton quota and they had excellents ideas to make it very natural.

But calling one more ambitious than the others is just plain unfair to me.

AA5 played it safer than Layton Vs AA, therefore it's less ambitious. I wouldn't call it lazy though.

As for visuals and time, it's telling that Dai Gyakuten Saiban and its sequel upgraded the tech from Layton Vs AA, and AA6 upgraded the tech from AA5. Two different teams, two different approaches, two different purposes.

Forza Horizon 3 - loved the first two, but the third just felt like a complete rehash with minimal effort put in to me.

Probably put a 100 hours into those, less than 15 on the third, was just bored.

I think Bioshock 2 would fit this. It's by no means a bad game, but it just didn't have that totally fresh feeling either. It filled the gap until the next game, but I don't think they had any idea how successful the first one would be and just cranked out a sequel quickly.
Really disagree. Bio1 ended badly and I was left with a feeling of "why go back to Rapture" when Bio2 was announced. However I think the alternative development team really pulled it off nicely. The game starts off a little slow, but builds only upwards from there and successfully ends the game much better than Bio1 imo. They also fix a few gameplay issues like being able to use both weapon and plasmid hands simultaneously.

Ridge_Racer_2_psp.jpg

A phenomenal game, but it shares so much in common with the (also phenomenal) Ridge Racers that you'd be forgiven for thinking Sony printed the wrong game on the UMD upon starting it up.
RR2 is the one that should have been put up on the Vita store for download though: it's the far better collection and much more complete. All remastered tracks from:
RR1, RRR, Rage, R4 and Rave Racer?! Yes please!!

RR2 is the one that should have been put up on the Vita store for download though: it's the far better collection and much more complete. All remastered tracks from:
RR1, RRR, Rage, R4 and Rave Racer?! Yes please!!

This so much. I'm guessing it's because RR2 never got released in North America.

I ended up getting RR2 digitally via the JPN store and play it on my PSP instead.

bennibop

Gears of Wars 4, Halo 4 & 5 they all seemed like they were designed by committee and felt sterile compared to previous entries.

Apathy

Still not out but going by just videos, the new shadow of mordor game looks like it's the same game again. I hope I'm wrong on that

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X.

The only new thing they really did with it was a minus - they wrapped the rather pure rhythm scoring and progression mechanics around loot crate nonsense. Otherwise it was probably the weakest game in the series since Project Diva Extend.

On that note: Add Project Diva Extend to the thread.

Haganeren

Did we need ALL those Capcom fighting games? Allll of them, really, are you sure?

???
Yes ? Especially if you're not too hot on Street Fighter like me.

Darkstalker is like a precursor on the "airdasher" sub-genre that Guilty Gear invented later. HUGELY influencal game.
Cyberbots is quite original by making robots fights, it's really novative.
Rivals School was their best attempt to 3D.
Power Stone is completely different.
The versus can seems like a cash-in but actually have a fast paced battle and a totally different mindset in the battle system.
Same with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which actually made a lot of new idea with its Stand jauge.

Yeah, there is some game like Red Earth that we don't hear about too much. But it was a time where they tried to make new licence and pushed the genre forward with other developers. Sure we can see some cash-in from time to time like Onimusha Warriors or Megaman Fighters but those game also needed to be quite special to "feel" like those licence and Capcom always made a great job with that. Now they only seems to be interested in Street Fighter and "VS" games...

Majora's Mask
Metroid Prime 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2

All 3 are superb games (2 of my all time favs there), filled with ideas beyond the scope of the originals​ that came before and all solid as a rock gameplay wise...but all 3 are also full of asset flips, reused mechanics and on a surface level super difficult to differentiate from their predecessor.

It's the COD/Assassins Creed formula of making a game but with the Nintendo touch.

Nah...Majora's Mask is completely different from Ocarina of Time. Reusing assets does not mean that the game rolled off a production line. The game itself is likely the most experimental Zelda game out there, completely unlike any game that was made to 'fill in the gap.'

Super Mario Galaxy 2 exists because they had so many ideas for the game they had to split it up to two.

Both of these games are absolutely nowhere close to the COD / AssCreed formula of making games.

I kinda felt this way about a lot of X and Y, but there's still a lot I liked about the game so I'm not sure if that's entirely fair. I just felt that the main campaign was a familiar but worse version of Pokémon games I've played before, which was disheartening after B&W. Mega evolutions a were cool addition tho. Shame what ORAS did to them.

Soooo for my actual answer I'd say...
I suppose this comes to mind? I dunno, it just really felt like a boring, filler Layton game. I heard Azran was nothing special either so I never got round to it. It's a shame because there wasn't a single game I disliked in the first trilogy but the second set seemed like a bit of a wash. Adored Miracle Mask at least, even with it being predictable and noticeably easier than the rest. The 3D puzzles were at least a nice change of pace in a series where the puzzles were getting tiresome and possibly even in the way of the charming story.
Man, even just looking at this logo depresses me.

Rncewind

I kinda felt this way about a lot of X and Y, but there's still a lot I liked about the game so I'm not sure if that's entirely fair. I just felt that the main campaign was a familiar but worse version of Pokémon games I've played before, which was disheartening after B&W. Mega evolutions a were cool addition tho. Shame what ORAS did to them.

I think X and Y got carried hard because its the "first 3d pokemon" tbh.. It was so super uninspired i put it down for quite a while because it was so boring. I hated X it was such a letdown after B&W and B&W2, thankfully Sund and moon delivered all the better, evolved the series forward from stagnation.

Blindy

Viewtiful Joe 2 jumps out at me, not to say more Viewtiful is ever a bad thing but there's was hardly anything different between the 2 games outside of getting to play as your girlfriend Sylvia in the 2nd game. Some of the enemies feel rehashed too like the Leo boss. I don't think it helped the cause that I played the two games so close to one another but 2 felt like such a carbon copy clone that the game doesn't have much to separate itself

Honestly it feels more like DLC if anything, there's hardy anything I can even remember unlike the 1st game. That's how unremarkable it was. Again not a bad game.....no it's not at all. The Viewtiful engine Kamiya/Clover Studios had was awesome but heck if I can remember much on the 2nd game outside of getting to play as Sylvia. Game had zero lasting impact with me and if you played the 1st one, there's really no reason to play the 2nd one as they are almost identical.

Blindy

The Darkness 2 had almost nothing that I liked about the first one. It was still a decent game for what it was, but it was nothing like what I was expecting out of a sequel to The Darkness. I had to wait until Wolfenstein: The New Order to get what I was waiting for.
I played both Darkness I and II earlier this year, I was borderline unplayable so I liked the Bioshock direction II went with even if it meant the game being shorter. I lacked any real big boss fights or different abilities, II anted that up.

Soooo for my actual answer I'd say...
I suppose this comes to mind? I dunno, it just really felt like a boring, filler Layton game. I heard Azran was nothing special either so I never got round to it. It's a shame because there wasn't a single game I disliked in the first trilogy but the second set seemed like a bit of a wash. Adored Miracle Mask at least, even with it being predictable and noticeably easier than the rest. The 3D puzzles were at least a nice change of pace in a series where the puzzles were getting tiresome and possibly even in the way of the charming story.

Seems like a good pick. I only played 1, 3, and 5, and while neither felt phoned in, 4 always seemed like they were stretching it, and by 5 the puzzles were definitely feeling strained. I noticed 5 relied a lot of less on logic puzzles too, in favour of more interactive puzzles that you could just brute-force your way through. In the first and third Layton games I had fond memories of reading the block of text, and then spending a while scribbling down potential solutions and ideas before just circling an answer.

Viewtiful Joe 2 jumps out at me, not to say more Viewtiful is ever a bad thing but there's was hardly anything different between the 2 games outside of getting to play as your girlfriend Sylvia in the 2nd game. Some of the enemies feel rehashed too like the Leo boss. I don't think it helped the cause that I played the two games so close to one another but 2 felt like such a carbon copy clone that the game doesn't have much to separate itself

Honestly it feels more like DLC if anything, there's hardy anything I can even remember unlike the 1st game. That's how unremarkable it was. Again not a bad game.....no it's not at all. The Viewtiful engine Kamiya/Clover Studios had was awesome but heck if I can remember much on the 2nd game outside of getting to play as Sylvia. Game had zero lasting impact with me and if you played the 1st one, there's really no reason to play the 2nd one as they are almost identical.

I haven't played it in ages but remember feeling the same way about VC2 back in the day. Anyway, thanks for reminded me of VC, will be replaying the first one later this month now haha

Top Bottom