• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

forms

How does trading work on the ps4? Having traded my way to owning several ships (no rxploits) on the pc, I just can't see myself doing it without trading tools.

forms

On PS4 Pro we seems to have two interesting graphics options.

1, Performance - this is the option for people who really like tearing. Lots of tearing. A whole screen full of tearing. If you like tearing, this is the option for you.##

2, Quality - This is for people who want less tearing (but still lots) but want the variety that terrible frame pacing and stuttering can bring to the game.

FFS the Xbox version is smoother than this mess. At the very least FDev we need a vsync option. How the PS4 Pro is going to get a 4K version when it runs so bad in 1080p I don't know. But this release version is very shoddy. The whole majesty of arriving at a station is ruined by the horrible stuttering mess that appears when you drop out of supercruise.

I've also had multiple crashes and moments when the game has gone crazy. A station began moving oddly while I was leaving and it destroyed my ship, thankfully I had a rebuy, but it was the game that destroyed the ship not gameplay.

Thank you for sharing. Thi, coupled by their lack of joystick support for other than the T.Flight 4, saves me from double dipping.

Peroroncino

Just got 15 ships killed, 2 assists and 0 deaths in CQC TDM hooooly shit, felt sooo good racking those kills one by one.

I recorded last 15 minutes so I'm definitely gonna upload it soon.

iosefe

now is when the real game begins, isn't it?

unknown.png

*edit* i've had interdiction attempted on me 3 times since i posted this image. i get 30k per kill, but i don't know if i'm ready for combat

RedSwirl

Is doing trading and exploration a valid game path? I am not really in to combat so I would just like to explore and buy shit. What are some early game tips for a non combat path?

I did about 70 hours of exploration before hanging up the game for a while. From what I understand it's by far the slowest way to earn money (except maybe mining) and is also the one game path Frontier hasn't further developed at all since the original launch in 2014. The only reason I stayed interested in it is because I'm already somewhat interested in astronomy.

You basically just warp into a system, scan planets, and warp out. The main thing that keeps it interesting is wondering what's gonna be in each system. There's a guide at the wiki you can read for exploration and how to find and scan the most valuable planets (atmospheric planets, water worlds, Earth-like planets, etc.). You generally wanna look for lone stars that are orange, yellow, or white. They try to keep the rules for where planets generate close to what astronomers currently know about our real universe. It's kinda tough before you can afford a good planet scanner -- in the beginning you have to have to fly around the system at a fast enough speed (around 30c) to where you can see planets shifting in the foreground compared to stars in the background.

Other than that, the main appeal is just going to famous places in the Milky Way like certain nebulae or making a trip towards Sagittarius at the center.

iosefe

I did about 70 hours of exploration before hanging up the game for a while. From what I understand it's by far the slowest way to earn money (except maybe mining) and is also the one game path Frontier hasn't further developed at all since the original launch in 2014. The only reason I stayed interested in it is because I'm already somewhat interested in astronomy.
I guess it's the epitome of no risk, no reward

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Surprised there's been hardly any PS4 reviews. I'd like to pick it up but after using a HOTAS with the PC version a few years ago I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy using a controller. 🎮

DrBo42

Surprised there's been hardly any PS4 reviews. I'd like to pick it up but after using a HOTAS with the PC version a few years ago I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy using a controller. 🎮

Yeah, no way I could play with a controller. Although both consoles now support a HOTAS. I think the T Flight for PS4, not sure what XB1 supports.

iosefe

How does the PS4 handle the touchpad? I've been using steam to map several buttons to the touchpad and it's been very helpful. Can you do something similar?

DrkSage

Where can I find the option to disable sixaxis camera movement. I'd like to keep control the camera with the joystick. I have gone to the controls and look everything related to camera but can't seem to find it

Peroroncino

Where can I find the option to disable sixaxis camera movement. I'd like to keep control the camera with the joystick. I have gone to the controls and look everything related to camera but can't seem to find it

Options -> Controls -> Headlook mode -> Enable motion headlook -> Off

I like it though, I have it on toggle mode under R3 button so I can quickly look around if I need it.

How does the PS4 handle the touchpad? I've been using steam to map several buttons to the touchpad and it's been very helpful. Can you do something similar?

You can map up to 4 functions to touchpad.

All these happy noobs. Takes me back to the early days! Really glad y'all are enjoying it. This game is special in a lot of ways but still has a lot of work to be done.

New players, the in game NeoGAF faction resides in Apam Napat. Run missions for the faction, take out wanted criminals from other opposing factions, or even pirate/attack other factions if you want to be an outlaw. Get that system influence back up!

Peroroncino

My second ever CQC match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unm40XDxEmI

As I mentioned earlier I made quite a nice score, 15:0, the whole opposing team didn't even manage to land one kill.

Still a bit rusty, but it's coming back to me from the PC days [also played on the controller].

Later on I got into more evenly matched bouts and I have to say, this shit is INTENSE, they do need to fix this matchmaking though, sometimes full team sits in the lobby and the match doesn't start, I noticed on my log there's always some communication [voice chat] error after people get stuck in the lobby, maybe voice-chat is the cause?

CQC could be so much more (liiike an actual in game activity or career with valuable rewards) but it's sadly neglected. It can be a ton of fun though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, quick question. So when you plot a course to a particular system, your compass always points towards the next stop on the route, right? Say I want to lock on to something else along the way, though. Like maybe an undiscovered planet or something. Once I'm done with that, is there an easy way to get my compass back on the route to the system I was heading to? Right now I'm just going back to the galaxy map and clearing and re-setting the route to get it back up, but that's a bit of a pain.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out!

How do you do it? Sounds useful.

Jedi2016

How do you do it? Sounds useful.
There's a command, "Target next system in route".

I have a voice command for it most of the time, but I actually map it directly to the HOTAS when I'm actually out exploring (that ship doesn't have weapons anyway, so I've got some free buttons).

Juraash

I'm so, so tempted to nab this for PS4. Skimming this thread it seems the consensus is that it runs pretty well. Is that accurate?

Also I've never messed with this game, but am a long time EVE vet of sorts. Does this scratch a similar itch?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Very nice! I'll look into CQC when I feel a bit more confident with managing multiple targets and fire groups.

There's a command, "Target next system in route".

I have a voice command for it most of the time, but I actually map it directly to the HOTAS when I'm actually out exploring (that ship doesn't have weapons anyway, so I've got some free buttons).

Thank you! Forgot about those extra targeting commands.

DrBo42

I'm so, so tempted to nab this for PS4. Skimming this thread it seems the consensus is that it runs pretty well. Is that accurate?

Also I've never messed with this game, but am a long time EVE vet of sorts. Does this scratch a similar itch?

PS4 performance has not been consistent from what I've read.

As someone that has played since Beta I will not sugar coat this. Keep in mind these are the thoughts of someone with more than 2000 hours in the game. EVE is a much better and far more consistent and fully designed game. It's similar in that the spaceship you have and its fitting is just as important. As well as great visuals, sound/music. In terms of gameplay it has a long way to go outside of its great flight model. Still very much in the framework stages of development, 2 years after launch. Corps have no direct comparison in this game, any structured social tools are not here. For group play you have multi-crew and wings but they're extremely under designed at the moment and barely supported by the rest of the game. Player economy is pretty much nonexistent other than players having an effect on the background sim economy. You can't put up items for sale for players etc. If you're looking for a complete game where everything flows together, this isn't it. With the RNG elements of Engineers and sheer time-sucking mechanics of travel, module & ship transfer and lack of streamlined mission flow (or a competent explanation of what you need to do for said mission outside of trading) it's not a game that respects your time either.

With all that said it's a game unlike any I've ever played before. Jumping into an unexplored system and diving the ship into an asteroid field and deftly navigating around massive chunks of ice while a nebula can be seen in the horizon is pretty damn special. Engaging a group of hostiles while the AI warns of incoming missiles, hearing your point defense system fire and the low pop of the missile exploding before you rip through an Anaconda with a plasma accelerator and fly through its debris. Then throwing FA off and boost-assisted flipping 180 degrees to engage his buddies. Makes the low points all the more frustrating.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

DrBo has the experienced reply, but here's my 2cents:

I can say I've been pleased with performance on PS4. Mostly just a bit of stuttering when arriving at instances or when loading the galaxy map.

However, I did encounter some connection issues last night, and the game started to crash repeatedly, so I had to turn it off. Hoping to go back to it tonight and find that it's not a permanent issue.

Note that even if you are unfortunate enough to have the game crash, you barely lose any progress, as your save is stored on the game servers (not locally), and it uploads frequently from what I can see. You might lose 5mins of play, if that.

As for scratching the EVE itch, it depends what you got out of that game. I was a casual EVE player, re-subbing at varying intervals over a period of about 5 years. I enjoyed the atmosphere, but never got too deep into any single aspect. Dropped out of the loop completely once I left university.

Now, completely out of the blue, Elite seems to be tickling something that I left behind maybe 10 years ago. The thrill of learning something new and intimidating; the joy of exploration; the romantic sights and sounds of a space sim; the rush of being in full control in an uncontrollable environment... These are the things that are going to keep me coming back to Elite. Not necessarily the spreadsheets and player-driven economy/corporations (which I'm sure are potential milestones for this game as well).

BSpot

Just to mirror some of what has been already said. PS4 PRo performance is WILDLY all over the place. Sometimes it is smooth, sometimes (most times) it had screen tearing and frame drops and low framerate. This is on Performance settings. And oftentimes in the same general area with nothing special happening.

SmartBase

Ah the good old days, I wonder if "eject all cargo" is still bound next to actual important functions in the default keyboard and mouse bindings.

atpbx

Elite is a game best played in bursts.

If you try and "main" it, you will fuck it off in short order as it will dive you mad.

I've got 500 hours in it, and that's from the beginning of 2015, and the last time I played it was for a couple of days while I was on holiday a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it, but as soon I felt that. "I've got to do this 20 more times till I get x ffs" I turned it off and left it.

Nightfall

Got it right after release (PS4) and I'm kind of enjoying it so far.
The atmosphere seems great, the physics seem also very good, though I still have a hard time rotating and aligning.
But I haven't had any issue with docking. My first attempt was already succesful. Does that mean I'm a natural now?

It kinda reminds me of I-War on PC. Loved that game. The big ship with its different stations, detachable module, energy management and so on.
This really feels somewhat like this.

Though the learning curve is pretty steep. I have tried Eve multiple times, but could never get into it. This seems more accessible, but is still rather ominous at times. For instance I couldn't figure out where waypoints are on the HUD. And this was already about... I guess 3 hours into the game?
The training mission with this mars rover thing... I got lost trying to find the settlement. Also I never found the power generator.
So yeah... it's manageable but not easy. But I guess I'll figure it out over time.

Another problem I have: during... superspeed (or whatever it's called) I constantly overshoot. I fly towards my target and after getting near it, when the HUD and speed indicator tell me to slow down) my ship doesn't slow down, it just keeps getting faster? Only when I make some sudden manouvers I kinda get back to normal speed. And them I'm already way beyond my destination.
Any tips there?

Also... the performance... oh lord... I'm playing on PS4 Pro and it's all over the place. Quality mode doesn't look significantly better than performance mode, but the tearing is the most horrible I've ever seen in a game. When inside a station it's just a mess. It looks like a slideshow with partial screenshots of the game flickering before my eyes.

Performance mode is better and it looks ok, but I think it could look much better.

I'm still not entirely sold on it and not sure if it was wise to buy it, but I'm certainly going to stick around and get to know the game better.

(side note: my ship has a cargo capacity of 2 and I got myself a bottle of some fancy whiskey and it needs a complete cargo slot? wtf? Must be a big ass bottle)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Another problem I have: during... superspeed (or whatever it's called) I constantly overshoot. I fly towards my target and after getting near it, when the HUD and speed indicator tell me to slow down) my ship doesn't slow down, it just keeps getting faster? Only when I make some sudden manouvers I kinda get back to normal speed. And them I'm already way beyond my destination.
Any tips there?

What I do is gradually slow down as I'm approaching the planet. Every time the ETA timer hits 7 seconds, I slow down until it goes up to 8 or 9, then repeat until I get into safe dropout range.

Nightfall

What I do is gradually slow down as I'm approaching the planet. Every time the ETA timer hits 7 seconds, I slow down until it goes up to 8 or 9, then repeat until I get into safe dropout range.

I tried but somehow my ship doesn't slow down? It kept getting faster several times, even though I was decelerating. Weird... have to try again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I tried but somehow my ship doesn't slow down? It kept getting faster several times, even though I was decelerating. Weird... have to try again.

Once you're too close to the planet, you'll get caught in its gravity and speed up even if you decelerate. Start decelerating further out from the planet than you currently are.

Trouble

Banned
With all these new players talking about docking, it's the perfect time to repost this classic video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPtigdFxnA

LMAO

I'll admit it, I have a landing computer on my Anaconda and Python. Not on the Vulture though because that would just be embarrassing (and that ship is a constant game of juggling power to modules).

I smack the Anaconda's ass on the top/bottom of the mailslot on the way out about half the time too. :p

CQC could be so much more (liiike an actual in game activity or career with valuable rewards) but it's sadly neglected. It can be a ton of fun though.

Yeah, the rewards for it are straight ass. It doesn't respect anyone's time. I have around 1d 10h of CQC and I've only earned ~400k credits from it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Anyone figured out coop multiplayer yet. Cause 2 ship mp is a damn pain.

Do you get boosted money when flying in a group ?

It definetly does. It's like EVE but with way more direct interactivity, which is perfect.

ookami

Anyone figured out coop multiplayer yet. Cause 2 ship mp is a damn pain.

Do you get boosted money when flying in a group ?
Well, two things in fact :
  • Wings (like a party/group in MMO) :
    Shared Bounties (everyone get the same full amount of reward)
    Trade (i think you get 5% of a commodity sold by a wingmen in the same system)
    Exploration (you share discovery and everyone get the same reward for data sold)​
  • Multi-crew :
    Reduced rebuy cost
    Main pilot bounties are shared for each crew members
    Shared crimes (crew members can pay once the session is finished)​

I might be missing a few things but that's basically it.

WITHE1982

This game can be equal parts breathtaking and frustrating.

I landed on my first planet last night and took my buggy for a spin. Watched the sun set over the horizon and took around 50 screen shots.

I then spent 40 minutes trying to scoop a canister from orbit for a mission. After my 10th try I accidental destroyed it I could have tore my hair out. The mission was only for 12,000 credits/money. GAAAHHHHH!

On a positive note I think I have my landings down. docked with 4 different stations with little or no trouble. Jumping back in tonight in search of some clothing which seems as rare as hens teeth.

Game is like crack.

Peroroncino

I then spent 40 minutes trying to scoop a canister from orbit for a mission. After my 10th try I accidental destroyed it I could have tore my hair out. The mission was only for 12,000 credits/money. GAAAHHHHH!.

Gravity pulls them and it's veeeery fucking hard to grab them when they're in constant motion, I'm thinking of buying a collection limpet/drone just in case something like that happens again.

DrBo42

This game can be equal parts breathtaking and frustrating.

I landed on my first planet last night and took my buggy for a spin. Watched the sun set over the horizon and took around 50 screen shots.

I then spent 40 minutes trying to scoop a canister from orbit for a mission. After my 10th try I accidental destroyed it I could have tore my hair out. The mission was only for 12,000 credits/money. GAAAHHHHH!

On a positive note I think I have my landings down. docked with 4 different stations with little or no trouble. Jumping back in tonight in search of some clothing which seems as rare as hens teeth.

Game is like crack.

Gravity pulls them and it's veeeery fucking hard to grab them when they're in constant motion, I'm thinking of buying a collection limpet/drone just in case something like that happens again.

Trying to grab a canister in orbit is amazing. If you're in a nimble ship and can pull it off it's like a scene from a movie.

Kyoufu

Was juggling between ps4 and pc...definitely getting it for pc after reading this thread. Will a GtX970 run it ok?

Easily.

I'm not sure why PS4 Pro struggles with it. This game is hardly demanding. I was running it without issues on my 760, VR included.

Sounds like a bad port tbh.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I saw this thread on Reddit and thought hey, that sounds like a good way to get some decent credits early in the game.

Don't do this if you're a new player. I'm going to see it through since I'm like halfway through it, but man, doing a huge exploration itinerary as pretty much the first major thing I'm doing in the game was a horrible idea. This is, to put it mildly, not very fun at all. I wish I'd done some of the more exciting stuff first. Trading, combat, mining...pretty much anything would be preferable to this right now.

Peroroncino

Easily.

I'm not sure why PS4 Pro struggles with it. This game is hardly demanding. I was running it without issues on my 760, VR included.

Sounds like a bad port tbh.

Well it runs very well on base PS4, only stutters a little when hangar is loading so I'm hoping they'll fix it on the pro with a patch or something like that.

Top Bottom