• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That game where one hour turns into ten

It was WoW for many many years. Now it's basically anything I am playing while using my PSVR....I just lose track of time completely and I only play late at night so I will start at like 11pm take it off and it's 3 am....like oh fuck!

Raven117

Destiny is bad about this.

You think.."Oh, I'll just hop in for a quick run at the raid" Boom, 8 hours later.... (especially in the early weeks of a raid).

Faiz

The first for me was Ocarina of Time. Then most MMOs I've played. Specifically EverQuest and WoW. We only recently started playing WoW again, and it's much the same, though I almost never have the time to let it go past about 2 hours.

Recently, the Ni-Oh Beta was a deluge of challenging content that well surpassed Souls combat because of its appeal to the upper skill level in the twilight fights.

Then there was Paper Mario: Color Splash which told one of the best gaming stories of the year, perhaps of all time. It's hilarious and empathetic all the same. The consistency was remarkable. The story is probably superior to TTYD. I was giddy to just see what happened next, what new NPC would delight me, what new arc that I would get myself into, what new level that I would make my way through with superb visuals all around. What new Soundtrack would delight my ears. It's a game with wry yet genuine personality throughout.

It was a game that I was grinning from beginning to end. And yes, the ending did make me shed tears. In my eyes, it's a flawed game but an absolute classic all the same.

poodaddy

All Bethesda games, but it never feels like I accomplished anything in that time :(. Such is why I don't play many Bethesda games anymore.

The Witcher 3 and Persona 4 Golden. Those were the last games I was completely and utterly immersed in. Especially P4G. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it back down for hours.

J3ffro

AoE II, Skyrim, and WoW all fit the bill - but none for me more so than Minecraft.

The first year my wife and I lived together there were a half dozen instances of me saying "I'll be in there shortly," as she went to bed only to still be at the computer when she woke up.

Those were some long ass work days. But 10 pm to sunrise in "a few minutes" is a big reason why I had to walk away from it. Too many things to accomplish in real life to spend that much time building things in a game.

Any Souls game really. Especially in Dark Souls 1 though. I once started an SL 1 run and didn't stop until I noticed I was goddamn hungry "all of a sudden".
I had played for like 6 hours straight.

WolfeTone

Pocket Card Jockey for 3DS made my 10 hour flight pass by in a blink of an eye. I wish that flight was longer so I could play more and not have it detract from my life.

LittleBuddy

Neo Member
Civilization 5 (probably the game that can mess up my schedule the most, so I avoid playing it most of the time.)

Here are a few others I can't stop playing once I get into it:

Prison Architect (Had to quit playing after a 40 hour straight session, that is the last time I touched the game)
Skyrim (though I usually only play an hour or so after I intended to stop)
KSP (there are times that a mission goes bad and you're deep into it and you want to resolve the problems before shutting off and saving for the night... next thing you know you're up half the night)

Lyonaz

Man I remember playing Final Fantasy Tactics back in the day for like almost 20 hours, it was next day morning when my brother came home from partying and I realised it was daylight already.

Let's see...

Halo CE LAN (multi-hour catfish matches on Blood Gulch)
Every Halo MP with online functionality ("oh, the sun is up.")
Phantasy Star Online (my first gaming addiction)
Diablo (series)
Borderlands (only my first campaign run)
Monster Hunter
Battlefield 4
Forza Horizon 3 (just getting ONE MORE bounty board or unfound road)
Final Fantasy XI
World of Warcraft
Smite (matches can be SO long though)
MAG (I wish more people played this)
Resistance 2 coop
Killzone 2 (series best MP by far, and some amazing ideas that have since been ignored)
Gran Turismo ("I'll just get my licenses"...five hours later, "I hate my life choices."
Geometry Wars Evolved (What a time void of a game)
Mario Kart 8 (okay, one more race)
Final Fantasy Tactics (cheering the game to quickly level and unlock jobs, so great)
Counter-strike (infinitely replayable and absolutely amazing)

I'm sure I'm missing some great examples too, but these are the ones that jump to mind.

Ladekabel

Most recently it was The Witcher 3 for me. Only noticed that I played it for hourse because my butt hurt from sitting too long.

Splinter

The Witcher 3 for me currently. I'll play it for 10 hours straight without even realizing it, hoping FFVX and maybe Persona 5 fill the void when they are released and I've played enough Witcher. The Witcher is one of the few games that I've really gotten into the past few years.

SheHateMe

Civ V. This is the reason why I won't buy 6.

I got Civ V and wanted to try it out for a hour. It was like 9 AM.

I took 3 turns and built my city up some. I looked at the clock, it was 4 PM.

I don't know how I lost 7 hours, but I did. No ragrets. Not even one letter.

Oblivion was the other for me... except I lost entire WEEKENDS to that game.

DMONKUMA

Destiny raids man......

You basically spend the whole day with the same group of people if you guys are not doing too well.

Literally saw this thread while sitting outside with my girlfriend. She's been playing DQ builders and asked if I wanted her to stop so I could play Battlefield. Told her no that it's 930 and the matches take to long and I know my ass would be up past midnight lol

Any MMO I've played recently. Something happening right now is Battlefield 1. I get into that "I have time for one more" and then realize the day is shot.

Unicorn

Pokemon,Monster Hunter.

and Elder Scrolls games for me. Pokemon Y was legit a second full time job for me. I worked 8 hours at work, then spent 8+ hours hatching eggs and training 'mons from when I got home until I passed out. This lasted for over an entire month straight until it eventually dwindled.

Monster Hunter similarly - I'll dump a ton of time in at first and then peter out once we hit G rank stuff

Elder Scrolls - First playthough of 100+ hours of just exploring and being absorbed in vistas and then several 10-30 hour chunks of trying different modding loadouts for various other playthroughs.

Cities Skyline

I just looked at my friends on Steam - because I was excited at launch but only put 11 hours in. Nobody has over 30 hours on my Steam friends list. There is one person who I friended from GAF who is at 99 hours, but so many are under 10 with maybe 3 at 30+.

What is it that made so many people not go past that 30 hour mark?

Top Bottom