• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean, how could you cancel the show that landed this glorious man

zoolander_650.jpg

L+SD ratings aren't the be-all end-all, especially for HBO. It'll probably end up with a few million viewers when DVR/SVOD is factored in, which wouldn't be too bad.

The show probably isn't all that expensive to produce, and it's unique and prestigious, so I would wager that HBO will keep The Leftovers on the air for a while longer (as long as Lindelof and Co. want to do another season, that is).

Unique? Sure.

Prestigious? That's a stretch, even with a better critical reception for S2.

They are the 9261 9257, and they are were spared.

HOLD UP

In the span of the first episode, 4 people left Jared and 4 people joined.

wtf, that literally just dawned on me and I have no idea if that's just a coincidence or something more.

fake edit;

What about the Matt and his wife though? Er.... nvm I guess.

fake edit2;

UNLESS Matt and his wife AREN'T in Jared anymore and were only there on visit.

Something is clearly weird. Casual goat blood sacrifice. Some dude in the center of the town on a tall post. Massive and consistent earthquakes. A fire department that sets fires to people who seem to go against some sort of grain. They had plexiglass over that crack in the road. Makes me think that's where the water went and it's where the girls were night swimming. There was a quake that alerted the family to their missing daughter.There's a community of naked people outside of the town. Possibly old banished town folk?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really think I would have preferred this show to be an anthology series. I don't see why they felt the need to bring back the Garveys. Their story was over. I was genuinely intrigued by the new black family and was interested in getting to know them, and then the Garveys showed up and it was like all the air got sucked out of the show. I'm really not looking forward to seeing more of them and their mopey ilk (yes, I'm willing to sacrifice more Nora for less Garveys).

Other thoughts:

The new credits suck.

That "Adventures of Pregnant Cave Woman" intro sure was something...audacious yet also desperate. I was hoping to see a saber tooth tiger or some other such beast, but alas. Maybe later in the season?

Unique? Sure.

Prestigious? That's a stretch, even with a better critical reception for S2.

oop, I have no idea why I typed prestigious. I meant to say provocative lol.

PolishQ

Something is clearly weird. Casual goat blood sacrifice. Some dude in the center of the town on a tall post. Massive and consistent earthquakes. A fire department that sets fires to people who seem to go against some sort of grain. They had plexiglass over that crack in the road. Makes me think that's where the water went and it's where the girls were night swimming. There was a quake that alerted the family to their missing daughter.There's a community of naked people outside of the town. Possibly old banished town folk?
Community of naked people? Do you mean from the intro? That was prehistory, I'm fairly sure.

I really like the new opening credits, save for the font used on them.

I feel like it's trying a little too hard to be irreverent.
I like the imagery a lot, the song feels like it doesn't fit for me.
L+SD ratings aren't the be-all end-all, especially for HBO. It'll probably end up with a few million viewers when DVR/SVOD is factored in, which wouldn't be too bad.

The show probably isn't all that expensive to produce, and it's unique and prestigious, so I would wager that HBO will keep The Leftovers on the air for a while longer (as long as Lindelof and Co. want to do another season, that is).

HBO will tell you that they don't care one bit about L+SD ratings, although I'm not sure if I entirely believe that. Regardless, unless HBO starts sprouting new dramas out of the ground (obviously we know they have at least a couple big new dramas next year), this show is probably safe for at least another year no matter how low the ratings are.

------------

Thought the first episode was intriguing, the Murphy family seems like a good addition. Something about this show...I can't put my finger on it, but for all the times it frustrates and baffles me, I'm still very interested in it.

PolishQ

You're correct, and I'm probably not thinking right about it. Never thought about prehistory. Not sure why. Still that clearly has something to do with that body of water then.

Yeah, in that Hollywood Reporter interview, Lindelof talks about how the town may be situated on an "Axis Mundi" (also the title of the episode) - in other words, the place itself is special in some way, and has been special for a long time, even before the Departure.

CloudWolf

This episode was weird. I liked the black family and the "perfect" town that clearly has some dark secrets, but then there's this random stuff that's thrown in there for no discernible reason like the cavewoman opening and the naked running through the woods thing. Not that I didn't appreciate that last thing, they are beautiful girls, but from a narrative standpoint it's odd.

PolishQ

This episode was weird. I liked the black family and the "perfect" town that clearly has some dark secrets, but then there's this random stuff that's thrown in there for no discernible reason like the cavewoman opening and the naked running through the woods thing. Not that I didn't appreciate that last thing, they are beautiful girls, but from a narrative standpoint it's odd.

Now that I think about it, the narrative surrounding the girls reminds me a ton of Picnic at Hanging Rock. Must be deliberate, since that story also concerns a mysterious
and never-explained
disappearance.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Man, season 2 is going to be one dangerous territory, considering the show's broken off from the source material and Lindelof's in charge. Guy's gonna conjure some whacked shit that'll have no conclusion in sight.

EDIT: Just finished watching ep 1 of S02, and damn, what the hell is wrong with everyone? Is anyone sane?!

Would love some more naked forest shots though.

Kadayi

Banned
Don't mind the imagery of the new credits, but definitely preferred the old theme music.

Hard to judge after the one episode. The setup is quite promising This one town that lost no one. It kind of makes sense that it would perhaps be viewed as a point of pilgrimage and questions asked as to why the inhabitants were spared/pass over. It also sets up this dynamic of the haves and the have nots in terms of those like Nora who truly suffered as a result of the departures versus the Garvey's who appear to have been spared for the most part. Also really looking forward to what Regina King brings to the show as she's a top notch acting talent (loved her in Southland as Lydia Adams).

Hyun Sai

Ok, I loved it.

This show is clearly something else lol. I don't mind the Garvey coming back, because I can't wait for the future clashes between two insane nutjobs (Kevin and Firecracker).

Goat sacrifice ? Running naked girls ? Stylite ? Surprise pie ? Magical tremors glassified ?

Bring it on !

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO will tell you that they don't care one bit about L+SD ratings, although I'm not sure if I entirely believe that.

How come? L+SD only accounts for a fraction of an HBO series' ratings, so I don't think they care if an episode of The Leftovers earned 700K viewers live but tallied 6+ million a week later. Live or delayed, it's all the same to them.

Regardless, unless HBO starts sprouting new dramas out of the ground (obviously we know they have at least a couple big new dramas next year), this show is probably safe for at least another year no matter how low the ratings are.

True. They already have several large holes to fill next season and cancelling The Leftovers would certainly do them no favors (although, they have a bunch of miniseries premiering next year so they probably wouldn't feel the hit until 2017).

How come? L+SD only accounts for a fraction of an HBO series' ratings, so I don't think they care if an episode of The Leftovers earned 700K viewers live but tallied 6+ million a week later. Live or delayed, it's all the same to them.

Purely for their business model, no L+SD doesn't matter for them. That said, I think they're looking at how different shows trend and I'm sure they love that shows like GoT and True Detective (to a lesser extent) are a must see the day they air.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Purely for their business model, no L+SD doesn't matter for them. That said, I think they're looking at how different shows trend and I'm sure they love that they shows like GoT and True Detective (to a lesser extent) that are a must see the day they air.

That's a fair point, but in the case of The Leftovers, I think HBO realizes that it's far too depressing and bleak and miserable to ever be a mainstream hit.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 2 "A Matter of Geography" (Written by Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta)

Kevin, Nora and Jill try to pick up the pieces in the aftermath of the Mapleton riots, but problems from the past keep resurfacing. The new Garvey clan finds a fresh start in the safety of Miracle. Nora makes an impulsive choice, while Kevin gets entangled in the Murphy family's problems.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh Kevin, you tried to kill yourself with a cement block and the powers that be said fuck that and made the lake disappear.

If a show is going to adamantly refuse to let a dead character actually depart, it could do a lot worse than Patti being a sarcastic bitch.

Nora might want to study up on how auctions work for future reference.

This season is off to a fantastic start.

Dysun

Much more engaged this week than the last. To be expected since we are familiar with the Garveys.

Now it feels like it's really back, and the poster with Kevin in water tied down makes sense

Also took me a second to figure out the house that was burned down by fire fighter dad was going to be the Garveys rental

I was thinking that myself.

Episode 2 was good, but episode 1 was better.

Nora got really lucky with the $2.5 million, then just blew it unnecessarily. That was dumb, but this show is weird.

I wouldn't say unnecessarily (in Nora's mind, at least). I think those MIT dudes talking about another departure happening freaked her out enough over losing her family a 2nd time that she was getting that house in this "protected" town one way or another.

Also, Kevin is fucking INFURIATING. He tells Nora about killing Patti, but won't tell her about his hallucinations? Come on.

Ogni-XR21

Great episode! I think it made sense to have this as a second episode, played out much better this way. So hyped, can't wait for next week.

Corpsepyre

Banned
While the episode was great, and posed a number of questions, the fact that Lindelof seems to be letting it loose doesn't help the situation. I was optimistic going into the show because it was based on a novel. With season 2, it's apparent he has his way with the plot, and I'm worried it'll get turned into shit, the way Lost did.

The hallucinations seem like a start. :/ Really don't need that in this show and they need to go.

Saty

I see we are already using tactics to drag the storyline as much as possible. 'Let's have flashback/recap ep that ends where ep 1 ended'. I didn't see any merit making this the second ep other than having that twist at the end. 'Oh shit, Kevin was at the river Evvie disappeared in and his leg was tied to a block OMG'.

Yeah, i dislike the increasing emphasis on Kevin's hallucinations and hearing voices and seeing Patty. Such laziness. 'Make him see the person he feels responsible to her death'. Common already, drop the bland acts. How long are we going to have this song and dance: are the hallucinations real or not? Is he crazed or blessed? It's already worn-out.

CloudWolf

really, Where is my mind? heavyhanded is putting it lightly with this show

I love the song, but I hate it whenever they use it in a post-Fight Club movie or television show. Ever since that movie whenever they need a "hey guys, this character is actually crazy... or is he?!" scene they use that song.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I see we are already using tactics to drag the storyline as much as possible. 'Let's have flashback/recap ep that ends where ep 1 ended'. I didn't see any merit making this the second ep other than having that twist at the end. 'Oh shit, Kevin was at the river Evvie disappeared in and his leg was tied to a block OMG'.

Yeah, i dislike the increasing emphasis on Kevin's hallucinations and hearing voices and seeing Patty. Such laziness. 'Make him see the person he feels responsible to her death'. Common already, drop the bland acts. How long are we going to have this song and dance: are the hallucinations real or not? Is he crazed or blessed? It's already worn-out.

Telling you, man. It's fucking Lindelof. He's going to shit all over this with his usual flashback/hallucination fare.

Hopefully he doesn't, but that's expecting too much.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really really enjoyed this latest episode. I mean wow this may be going nowhere thanks to the mighty Lindelof but its so ballsy and fascinating and has a lot of emotion behind it i cant help but love it.

PolishQ

I wouldn't say unnecessarily (in Nora's mind, at least). I think those MIT dudes talking about another departure happening freaked her out enough over losing her family a 2nd time that she was getting that house in this "protected" town one way or another.

Also, Kevin is fucking INFURIATING. He tells Nora about killing Patti, but won't tell her about his hallucinations? Come on.

My take is that Kevin doesn't want to admit he's hallucinating (to himself, let alone Nora) because he doesn't want to end up like his dad.

Top Bottom