• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

gazele

Banned
Well I passed my phone screening and have been invited to an in-person interview! They say it will be 2 hours and I'll meet 6 people. From reading and talking to other people, 2 hours is normal. But what the heck do you do for 2 hours? Is each person going to ask me the same questions (like "tell me a time you faced adversity in the workplace" ugh)? It's just for a sales assistant job, so I wouldn't expect a test or anything of the sort.

I'm nervous but I'm in the final 3 of 87 applicants!

In the same boat, have an interview this thursday...but it's 4 hours

1st hour: Behavioral Interview

2nd hour: Presentation

3rd hour: Coding Challenges

4th hour: Exploring a data set

Sorithin

Two hours can be heavily padded by behavioral questions. I know I had interviews lasting that long in combination of those questions and my own questions.

Two hours of behavioral questions?! Yikes. All I do at my current job is sit on GAF and surf the internet, and do about 6 hours of real work a week. I have no idea how I'm going to answer two hours of questions like "describe a stressful situation" or "share an example of how you motivate your coworkers".. ugh D:

Somebody told me to check out craigslist for jobs a while back. I got hit up by someone today who says they'll pay me $400 a week to post their ads on craigslist and all I have to do is copy and paste the text and photos.

This sounds too easy for $400 a week? Does this sound too good to be true?

Ron K

Somebody told me to check out craigslist for jobs a while back. I got hit up by someone today who says they'll pay me $400 a week to post their ads on craigslist and all I have to do is copy and paste the text and photos.

This sounds too easy for $400 a week? Does this sound too good to be true?

Haven't heard of that particular scam, but the general rule is if you're being paid by any method other than cash in hand (including digital cash transfers, checks, etc.) then yes, it's too good to be true - and even if you get cold hard cash I'd still make sure you're not helping anything shady or legally questionable.

SOLDIER

Yeah, he's giving the option of PayPal or bank deposit. There's a still a risk even with giving him the link to my Paypal?

Paypal would probably be the safest option, as long as he's just giving you his Paypal e-mail. If he asks you to click on a link to view his Paypal profile, stay away as it most likely will redirect to a phishing site disguising itself as Paypal.

Anyway, would anyone here be interested in taking a look at my resume? I'm looking to spruce it up to include more updated information.

Also, I want to start looking into Help Desk positions, as was suggested by the GAFer who shared advice about his Delivery Consultant job. Any companies/job titles in particular I should look at?

Mr. F

Banned
Quick question.

Im kind of trying to help a friend get out of a rut of part time work into something ideally more secure/stable and possible to build on.

It's a tall order considering he dropped out of school and has a resume of odd jobs here and there, but would anyone have any advice in terms of how it might be good to position his experience? It's rough because he's incredibly smart, but not being able to afford school and being stuck in the job market of our home town has limited his options greatly.

I don't know if anyone has been through something similar, but any tips would be appreciated. I'm trying to see if he can apply his customer support experience to something not entirely dissimilar (community managing/remote support).

Thanks.

Slo

Quick question.

Im kind of trying to help a friend get out of a rut of part time work into something ideally more secure/stable and possible to build on.

It's a tall order considering he dropped out of school and has a resume of odd jobs here and there, but would anyone have any advice in terms of how it might be good to position his experience? It's rough because he's incredibly smart, but not being able to afford school and being stuck in the job market of our home town has limited his options greatly.

I don't know if anyone has been through something similar, but any tips would be appreciated. I'm trying to see if he can apply his customer support experience to something not entirely dissimilar (community managing/remote support).

Thanks.

Fair warning, this is going to sound crass as hell.

The short answer is that in order to clean up his resume he's going to have to demonstrate some success, even if that's just something small like holding down a job for a couple years or going back to get his GED. Hell, knock out a couple Burger Flipper of the month awards, anything.

You seem to think that he's got more potential than his list of deeds indicates, so if that's the case then he should be able to put some W's next to each other and make himself seem a bit more...employable.

Mr. F

Banned
Fair warning, this is going to sound crass as hell.

The short answer is that in order to clean up his resume he's going to have to demonstrate some success, even if that's just something small like holding down a job for a couple years or going back to get his GED. Hell, knock out a couple Burger Flipper of the month awards, anything.

You seem to think that he's got more potential than his list of deeds indicates, so if that's the case then he should be able to put some W's next to each other and make himself seem a bit more...employable.

That totally makes sense, thanks for the input. Doesn't come off as crass at all, and I tend to agree. I'm hoping I can work with him to at the very least get a more solid footing to work from

I have a question with regards of what to say to people interviewing you on why you left your most recent job.

I left my head bookkeeping job, after being forced to work 6 day work weeks and upwards of 50 hours a week because the bookkeeper who worked under me and covered the weekends left the company.

I worked 6 months straight like that all the while the boss kept insisting he was going to get someone in there to help, but he never did. I was under the impression he saw the work was getting done, and didn't see a need to bring anyone on board to alleviate the pressure.

I gave him 2 months to get someone, and if he didn't, I was out the door. Sure enough he didn't get anyone and I told him I was done and quit on the spot.

I know prospective employers don't like to hear someone bash their old job, but how should I handle this with tact?

I mean I can be honest and just say I gave my previous more than ample time to rectify the situation and it never was. I got my paystubs from all that time period so I can prove I'm not lying about the work weeks.

Plus because of that situation I wasn't able to take vacation time for my remaining 8 months there. I mean they had to pay me a severance check for the 4 weeks of vacation I had bankrolled, but still.

about 6 weeks into the job and its "fine" but I got a call for interview for a government job with way better benefits and security and all that stuff I applied for months ago

Whats my excuse to take a morning off to do the interview?

I would call in sick but my boss is the kinda person who will call you to make sure and it will be hard to fake being sick while I am in transit to or from the interview.

Necrovex

about 6 weeks into the job and its "fine" but I got a call for interview for a government job with way better benefits and security and all that stuff I applied for months ago

Whats my excuse to take a morning off to do the interview?

I would call in sick but my boss is the kinda person who will call you to make sure and it will be hard to fake being sick while I am in transit to or from the interview.

Stomach problem is my go to excuse. Americans don't like having prolong discussions involving bowel movements.

Stomach problem is my go to excuse. Americans don't like having prolong discussions involving bowel movements.

Like I said. Wont work. My boss will ring me if I pull a sicky. Seen it happen with others.

The interview is early in the day so I wont be anywhere quiet enough to pretend to be sick.

I think Ill just say I have a vet appointment. They know I have a dog.

or just dont answer your phone until your interview is over. tell him you fell asleep after taking some meds.

or your neighbors boyfriend just collapsed, you helped get him to the hospital.

or you're having car trouble. you're having someone pick you up, you'll be there by noon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Like I said. Wont work. My boss will ring me if I pull a sicky. Seen it happen with others.

The interview is early in the day so I wont be anywhere quiet enough to pretend to be sick.

I think Ill just say I have a vet appointment. They know I have a dog.

Just tell him you slept through it and call back later. So long as he doesn't actively stalk you you'll be fine.

I just need a excuse to say "hey I will be coming in at noon on Friday, here is a reason that seems totally reasonable that I wont need to prove or be asked in detail about".

I am still the new guy so I cant be too casual about it. Calling in sick and then ghosting any future calls is the kinda move I would do a few more months in but not now.

I got one or two excuses rattling around so Ill pick one tomorrow. Ill offer to make up the hours during the week too just to be nice about. That seems to be how other people in the office handle sudden half days.

Kieli

Job hunting for really the first time (got a PHD so was in school for a long time) and it's really taking a toll on me

Been looking for about 2 months (which I know is not that long in the grand scheme of things) but I didn't think it'd be so difficult mentally

Definitely doesn't help that I'm trying to get into tech (data science) after doing a research based PHD (neuroscience) that doesn't apply 100%

Seems like the lack of experience is definitely the thing that's hurting me

What do people think about taking a "lesser" job to prevent having long gaps in employment history?

I'd really like a data scientist job, but it may be easier to get a data analyst job and gain some experience

I think the issue with trying to go the data scientist route is that it is very dependent on credentials. Even if one may have tangible skills in data wrangling, machine learning, and industry tools and modules, why should the company hire that person over someone who has similar experience and a MSc/PhD in the field?

This isn't quite like normal software/web development where the employers don't care about credentials as much as one's skills and portfolio.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just need a excuse to say "hey I will be coming in at noon on Friday, here is a reason that seems totally reasonable that I wont need to prove or be asked in detail about".

I am still the new guy so I cant be too casual about it. Calling in sick and then ghosting any future calls is the kinda move I would do a few more months in but not now.

I got one or two excuses rattling around so Ill pick one tomorrow. Ill offer to make up the hours during the week too just to be nice about. That seems to be how other people in the office handle sudden half days.

Tell them you have a doctor's appointment then. If they ask why then say it's private and you'd rather not talk about it.

Or tell them you have to go to the DMV for some reason.

Hope your interview goes well, just from what you're saying I feel like I'd hate to work where you are now.

Tell them you have a doctor's appointment then. If they ask why then say it's private and you'd rather not talk about it.

Or tell them you have to go to the DMV for some reason.

Hope your interview goes well, just from what you're saying I feel like I'd hate to work where you are now.

The manager is a bit overly manager-y but other then that the work is grand and the pay is nice.

The interview job would be a pay cut but it has a way better chance of progression and has better benefits. Would be a full not to give it a go.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Anyone have any experience on indeed?

I'm thinking of moving cities and am wondering if I throw a resume up on there in a different city/state than the one I work in, how likely it is that my current employer will be able to find it.

I started looking at job again and was reminded again how depressing it really is. Seems like every job I would want I am unqualified for. I've spent years building experience that only applies to a job I don't like.

gazele

Banned
I think the issue with trying to go the data scientist route is that it is very dependent on credentials. Even if one may have tangible skills in data wrangling, machine learning, and industry tools and modules, why should the company hire that person over someone who has similar experience and a MSc/PhD in the field?

This isn't quite like normal software/web development where the employers don't care about credentials as much as one's skills and portfolio.

Agreed, once you have your foot in the door its much easier, but obviously getting your foot in the door is easier with a relavent MSc/PhD

Watevaman

This has been answered before, but this thread moves so quick that it's hard to navigate and find the answers that apply.

Regarding jobs that you are unqualified for: is there a line to draw that says "no, you probably will not get this job so don't waste your time"?

I currently have two part-time jobs, one of which is an entry level position in my college background (Geography/GIS work) and the other is just for spare cash to make at least 40hrs/wk. There's a job opening at the local gov't for an erosion/sediment control inspector that I've been eyeing. Thing is, I have no experience with that. The closest thing I feel I could apply to it is that I used to work a temporary job on/off for 4 years as a construction helper, so I guess I put some of the work the inspector did into practice. The listing doesn't even require a college degree, but the pay is much higher than anything I'm making now and even better, I would have just one job.

I'm gonna apply, don't get me wrong. I guess where my concerns lie is how could I talk myself up for this job further down the line if needed?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This has been answered before, but this thread moves so quick that it's hard to navigate and find the answers that apply.

Regarding jobs that you are unqualified for: is there a line to draw that says "no, you probably will not get this job so don't waste your time"?

I currently have two part-time jobs, one of which is an entry level position in my college background (Geography/GIS work) and the other is just for spare cash to make at least 40hrs/wk. There's a job opening at the local gov't for an erosion/sediment control inspector that I've been eyeing. Thing is, I have no experience with that. The closest thing I feel I could apply to it is that I used to work a temporary job on/off for 4 years as a construction helper, so I guess I put some of the work the inspector did into practice. The listing doesn't even require a college degree, but the pay is much higher than anything I'm making now and even better, I would have just one job.

I'm gonna apply, don't get me wrong. I guess where my concerns lie is how could I talk myself up for this job further down the line if needed?

I would do a bit of research about the position, explain in your cover letter that though you have little experience, you are willing to learn and try to draw some parallel with either work experience or your college studies. It's worth a try.

So the jobs that were to begin screening immediately and would only contact successful candidates have not contacted me. It's been 19 and 12 days, respectively.

So the jobs that were to begin screening immediately and would only contact successful candidates have not contacted me. It's been 19 and 12 days, respectively.

it kind of depends on what kind of job it is/who the hiring company is, generally the bigger the company the longer may have to wait. If it's government related that will take even longer.

I'm not sure what your current employment status is(whether you're currently working or not) but if you're looking to leave your current job/get a job anywhere-you should be continuously filling out applications until you get a hit. Don't expect the one place you applied to give a call back because multiple people(besides you) applied for the same job too.

Slo

I'm not sure what your current employment status is(whether you're currently working or not) but if you're looking to leave your current job/get a job anywhere-you should be continuously filling out applications until you get a hit. Don't expect the one place you applied to give a call back because multiple people(besides you) applied for the same job too.

Yep. Fire and forget.

Pastry

Banned
Applying for a serious job upgrade at a great company via a recruiter that contacted me about the position. I'm qualified on paper but I've never had luck getting an interview for this company. I'm hoping the recruiter will help grease the wheels and get me into an interview since they are by passing the bullshit automated HR system.

I know if I get the interview it's all going to be super technical interview stuff so I'm pretty nervous about that. Prepping myself on technical junk and crossing my fingers hoping I can get an interview for this position. Anyone ever used a headhunter to apply for a position before?

Applying for a serious job upgrade at a great company via a recruiter that contacted me about the position. I'm qualified on paper but I've never had luck getting an interview for this company. I'm hoping the recruiter will help grease the wheels and get me into an interview since they are by passing the bullshit automated HR system.

I know if I get the interview it's all going to be super technical interview stuff so I'm pretty nervous about that. Prepping myself on technical junk and crossing my fingers hoping I can get an interview for this position. Anyone ever used a headhunter to apply for a position before?

Yeah I've done that several times. It's great if you gain a rapport with the same recruiter. But it's exactly like you said. They (the good ones at least) help bypass the generic automated systems, and they can help filter out bullshit and jobs that are beneath you or not in your wheelhouse.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

Head hunter or recruiter? Recruiter yes. They are pretty good at getting you into a position as they have a vested interest in getting you in (commission). If a recruiter grabbed you its because they believe that you'll come in at a cost and skillset that the employer will find as a good price for value. This is one of the reasons I like to stay on top of my linked in. Lets me get periodic recruiter offers.

I got my current job through a recruiter.

Pastry

Banned
Yeah I've done that several times. It's great if you gain a rapport with the same recruiter. But it's exactly like you said. They (the good ones at least) help bypass the generic automated systems, and they can help filter out bullshit and jobs that are beneath you or not in your wheelhouse.

Head hunter or recruiter? Recruiter yes. They are pretty good at getting you into a position as they have a vested interest in getting you in (commission). If a recruiter grabbed you its because they believe that you'll come in at a cost and skillset that the employer will find as a good price for value. This is one of the reasons I like to stay on top of my linked in. Lets me get periodic recruiter offers.

I got my current job through a recruiter.

Well apparently it fell through. The company has a policy where you cannot be represented by a recruiter if you are already in their system (I applied for positions there 2 and 3 years ago and did not get them). So that's pretty lame 😒 but I guess it's positive that the recruiter contacted me. It's a company I legitimately want to work for.

That being said... what are y'alls opinions on applying to a company that you have been rejected at before? I'd really like to work there and it's a really big company so I'll probably try again when I see a different position I'm interested in. For the time being I've got a good job so I can be patient and I get messages from at least one recruiter a month on LinkedIn.

Interviewed with a team yesterday for a very good company. Won't specifically drop names, but very good for my field (Software). The recruiter called me a couple hours later and said they really loved me/were impressed. He said they normally have in-person grillings but they thought I really aced it today. The recruiter said he was very confident I would receive an offer, but we will see. I've been burned before.

I have a job right now but it's been a drain on my life. 2 hour commute both ways (yup) and ten hour work days while managing a bunch of personal things. I am mentally fried at this point. It's been a year, too.

Hopefully things work on. I've had such a bad year, lol.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Well apparently it fell through. The company has a policy where you cannot be represented by a recruiter if you are already in their system (I applied for positions there 2 and 3 years ago and did not get them). So that's pretty lame 😒 but I guess it's positive that the recruiter contacted me. It's a company I legitimately want to work for.

That being said... what are y'alls opinions on applying to a company that you have been rejected at before? I'd really like to work there and it's a really big company so I'll probably try again when I see a different position I'm interested in. For the time being I've got a good job so I can be patient and I get messages from at least one recruiter a month on LinkedIn.

My experience, even with jobs I've wanted, if I didn't get selected I moved on fast. (not gave up mind you). Keep in mind, it depends on your field; however, if a place I was targeting turned me down, I kept looking and grabbed a job that was over my head and even sometimes underpaid me a bit for the position (if it was a position above what I'd had before). Forces a quick learning curve, adds tons to your resume quickly, and then recruiters/companies knock on your door when you have real experience at that level of work and hopefully built up your salary as you rose to the occasion. At least for me, in IT, lateral movement has been the best method for me to get where I want than pounding on the same door for years.

Desperado

That feeling when you interview for the same job as a friend of yours does and they're the one to get the job. (This has happened twice in the past month.)

Slo

Interviewed with a team yesterday for a very good company. Won't specifically drop names, but very good for my field (Software). The recruiter called me a couple hours later and said they really loved me/were impressed. He said they normally have in-person grillings but they thought I really aced it today. The recruiter said he was very confident I would receive an offer, but we will see. I've been burned before.

I have a job right now but it's been a drain on my life. 2 hour commute both ways (yup) and ten hour work days while planning a wedding, going to school, and all that. I am mentally fried at this point. It's been a year, too.

Hopefully things work on. I've had such a bad year, lol.

I'm happy for you.

I'm in a similar position. I'm happily employed but an internal recruiter from a really prestigious SV software company reached out to me for a position that would be a Software Engineering Manager position, which would be a promotion for me. Made it past the phone screening, now the hiring manager wants me to do a coding interview, and this company is notoriously brutal in coding reviews.

I'm hesitant to put myself through the meat grinder of rejection since I'm happy where I'm at, but feel like I should out of obligation since it'd be a big opportunity to level up.

Two people gave me job offers and they're both work at home jobs. I'm unsure of either as I feel that there's something suspicious about both. The first one I ran into some person at Wal-Mart. He told me to hit him up on Facebook and he gave me a link to his business which would be selling products. Here are two links from it.
http://o2globalteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Freedom-Run-1.7.17.pdf
http://o2globalteam.com/daybreak/

The other I interviewed at an office for selling identity theft protection with Legal Shield. The man was talking about all the money I could make, how he went to the Bahamas and had to house a friend's horse, showed me a video of a college grad who's in it and then he threw in something I thought was weird. He wanted me to sign up for protection right there. He threw it out fast so I thought I was filling out the job application on the spot until I realized it asked for debit or bank account info. I told him I don't have any money right now and he asked me when he think I'll have it. I told him when I make a sale since you know I've been unemployed for quite a while, which was a lie, but I still haven't had any money.
There was another woman there who said you need some income right now and she was going to pay for it so I didn't need to put down my card info. That did seem fishy as fuck to ask me to spend money right at the interview and I am still kind of worried because they have my information down.

Has anyone dealt with Legal Shield before? I just recently got fired last week working for a company that does sales for a TV service. Since I failed there I feel like I will fail with either of these, but I don't like being unemployed and his money talk game got me hooked.

Makai

Two people gave me job offers and they're both work at home jobs. I'm unsure of either as I feel that there's something suspicious about both. The first one I ran into some person at Wal-Mart. He told me to hit him up on Facebook and he gave me a link to his business which would be selling products. Here are two links from it.
http://o2globalteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Freedom-Run-1.7.17.pdf
http://o2globalteam.com/daybreak/

The other I interviewed at an office for selling identity theft protection with Legal Shield. The man was talking about all the money I could make, how he went to the Bahamas and had to house a friend's horse, showed me a video of a college grad who's in it and then he threw in something I thought was weird. He wanted me to sign up for protection right there. He threw it out fast so I thought I was filling out the job application on the spot until I realized it asked for debit or bank account info. I told him I don't have any money right now and he asked me when he think I'll have it. I told him when I make a sale since you know I've been unemployed for quite a while, which was a lie, but I still haven't had any money.
There was another woman there who said you need some income right now and she was going to pay for it so I didn't need to put down my card info. That did seem fishy as fuck to ask me to spend money right at the interview and I am still kind of worried because they have my information down.

Has anyone dealt with Legal Shield before? I just recently got fired last week working for a company that does sales for a TV service. Since I failed there I feel like I will fail with either of these, but I don't like being unemployed and his money talk game got me hooked.
These are pyramid schemes. I can tell from slide 1 of that powerpoint.

Legal Shield is a legitimate business that sells people a useless product. It's legitimate in that it's not a barely legal MLM scam, but it is not a place you want to work. Probably all commission and dehumanizing work conditions.

There is no way for me to say this without being callous: you cannot distinguish between real companies and scams. So stick to jobs at companies you use as a customer - go apply to a grocery store or something like that. If you are encouraged to pay money for anything as part of your job, abort - you will lose money.

I do have the option to work at home and at my own hours with LegalShield, so it might not be as bad. I do feel like there's something fishy though, but I don't have any options at the moment and I could be employed for the next year like I was before. I'm not sure what to do.

Makai

I do have the option to work at home and at my own hours with LegalShield, so it might not be as bad. I do feel like there's something fishy though, but I don't have any options at the moment and I could be employed for the next year like I was before. I'm not sure what to do.
It is an absolutely horrible company, but it is a real company. However, somwhere like McDonalds will likely have a better work environment and pay. Almost all remote opportunities are scams (exceptions for some highly skilled positions). Don't limit yourself to work-from-home schemes because you don't have a car. Walk to work. You'll have even less free time, but you're earning money and you can work your way up to a moped or a cheap lemon.

I'm happy for you.

I'm in a similar position. I'm happily employed but an internal recruiter from a really prestigious SV software company reached out to me for a position that would be a Software Engineering Manager position, which would be a promotion for me. Made it past the phone screening, now the hiring manager wants me to do a coding interview, and this company is notoriously brutal in coding reviews.

I'm hesitant to put myself through the meat grinder of rejection since I'm happy where I'm at, but feel like I should out of obligation since it'd be a big opportunity to level up.

Thanks but nothing yet, hoping the holiday weekend has left the offices a bit empty. Sounds like a pretty intense prospect for you. Also sounds like a 'no lose' situation so I hope you take advantage of it. Good luck.

Necrovex

It may finally be happening, Gaf. I was offered a tentative position to work for the federal government, starting with a salary in the mid-40s. I'm still blown away that I finally reached this point in my life.

Right now, only one possible hitch could screw everything up (the office has to keep their position open for five days for any laid off federal employees), but other wise, I get to move to a dream location working in the public sector. If/when I get my formal offer in two weeks (after HR), I'll probably have a mini heart attack.

After almost a month, HR sent me an offer and I'll be starting my full-time career later in the month. Needless to say, I am ecstatic to no end. I get to embrace a pension plan! <3

Ducarmel

If you live in the NYC/Long Island area Local 28 Sheet Metal Workers Union is taking applications this month only.

https://p11.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.smwialu28.org/ssl/images/Recruitment-Flyer-2017-2018.pdf

https://p11.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.smwialu28.org/ssl/index-4.html

If your a woman try contacting New and they can help get you a spot to take the entrance exam and if you served in the military bring your DD 214 you automatically get a spot to take the entrance exam. Everybody else its a lotto.

Don't be discouraged in applying even if you are on the lottery list and don't get called for the upcoming class they do a good job keeping application for the next class and keeping people on file because people drop out or never respond to being called. Some people actually get called 2-3 years later, some people even get called up twice after missing their first shot.

If sheet metal may not interest you here is a NYS DOL list of approved trade unions recruiting in NY State
https://labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm

SOLDIER

Is Indeed still the best online resource for job listings? I feel like there's a lot of repetition with the site, especially in regards to "sponsored" job ads that feel the shadiest of all.

I really want a different job that pays more and is closer to my house, especially as there's now a hiring freeze for state jobs, meaning there's no chance for me moving on up anytime soon.

Navi

Is Indeed still the best online resource for job listings? I feel like there's a lot of repetition with the site, especially in regards to "sponsored" job ads that feel the shadiest of all.

I really want a different job that pays more and is closer to my house, especially as there's now a hiring freeze for state jobs, meaning there's no chance for me moving on up anytime soon.

Honestly I just type in my zipcoce and "hiring" in google and see what pops up.

SOLDIER

Honestly I just type in my zipcoce and "hiring" in google and see what pops up.

Worth a try I guess.

I really want a work at home job, but it would need to offer the same kind of insurance and benefits I have with my current job.

Honestly I'm no closer to figuring out what career path I should be aiming for. I finally have a stable state job thanks to my criminal justice degree and experience, but it's a low paying job with no advancement and a lousy commute. If I move towards an IT-focused job, it would mean spending more time and money either taking courses or earning the required certain.

My best option would be if I could get into a field like that with my current credentials and not have to go back to college to earn a completely separate degree. I keep thinking I could earn something more lucrative with my current credentials.

Incidentally, I'll gladly PM my resume to anyone willing to offer advice (even formatting advice would be appreciated).

Shifty1897

I've been coaching my roommate on how to do an interview (he graduated from college in May and has been looking for a full time job since April). He's started working contacts to get interviews but can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that the interviewer has all the power in a job interview if they know you don't have a full time job already, and keeps saying things that make himself completely ineligible as a potential hire. I'm going to coach him some more this weekend, see if we can't get him on his feet and out of my house.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I've been coaching my roommate on how to do an interview (he graduated from college in May and has been looking for a full time job since April). He's started working contacts to get interviews but can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that the interviewer has all the power in a job interview if they know you don't have a full time job already, and keeps saying things that make himself completely ineligible as a potential hire. I'm going to coach him some more this weekend, see if we can't get him on his feet and out of my house.

Such as?

Shifty1897

He keeps telling them that he wants to move up. You should never say this in an interview. He doesn't even have the job yet and he's telling the interviewer that he won't be satisfied with his job if he doesn't get promoted in a timeframe he deems appropriate. If you are asked where you see yourself in 5 years at this company, respond that you want to be the best (position title you are interviewing for) you can be.

He always tries to discuss money in an interview. Once again, you should never do this. You can discuss money if they extend a job offer, never before.

In an interview, the interviewer has all the power. When a job offer is made after the interview, some (or none) of the power shifts back to the interviewee, depending on how desperate the company is to hire someone for this position, and how attractive of a candidate you are.

bigkrev

After having been out of full-time work since January 2016, I just started my next full-time position 2 weeks ago, and somehow got a $5000 raise over what I had been making at my last job?!?

I probably applied to 1000 jobs, got contacted back on 50ish of them, had in-person interviews with 20 of them, and had second interviews with 3 of them. I never had a single phone interview turn in to an in-person interview, and on well over half of my in-person interviews, the application process was e-mailing a resume and cover letter- not entering the data into a website.

I mostly used Higheredjobs (I was primarily looking for an administrator role at a college), but also used Linkedin, Indeed, Ziprecruiter and Beyond. I never got anything other than spam/fake job contacts from Ziprecruiter, Got one bite from Beyond (for a shitty sales job I was massivly overqualified for), and had some success with Linkedin.

I'm not sure what I would emphasize- I wasn't applying to things that had technical aspects to interviews (Project/Grant management/administration roles), so mostly what I had to focus on for interviews was taking my previous experiences and explain why I felt they prepared me for this position. I guess I was also terrible at filling out online job forms/doing those shitty personality tests- I had way more success just sending resumes out!

My heart goes out to people working shitty jobs full-time and trying to apply places. 3 months ago, with my unemployment checks stopping, I took a call center job, and it just drained me on a daily basis. Thankfully, I had applied to where I am now a month before starting (if you thought your industry moved slowly in the hiring process, let me tell you about Higher Ed!), because it was a struggle to apply to even a single job after coming home each day!

Top Bottom