• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Welp I didn't think I'd be here so early. But when you get the same amount of playoff wins as the avalanche and yotes...its gonna be an interesting off season

Hawks need some work in the offseason:
snip

I don't disagree with a lot of this; and listening to the pressers this morning I think at least one or two of the "core" is going to get moved. The question I have is if the rumors of Q and Stan butting heads is going to reemerge. Q needs to make some changes but a lot of Stan's recent moves have been pretty bad.

Unfortunately the damn cap is going to eventually kill the team; which is ironic. the NHL wants to promote the hell out of the hawks to help grow the game but their own policies may end up keeping it stuck as mediocre

PillarEN

The Hawks have been the creme of the crop for like 8 years. The NHL will just move on to some other US team if the Hawks slowly become and average team. I doubt the NHL cared about Washington during the Kolzig/Bondra era, but with Ovechkin they do care. Once Ovechkin retires/leaves for the KHL they might become less interesting to the league again.

Seems like a natural flow. Nobody cares about Colorado anymore, soon nobody will care about the Red Wings. If they step up to the plate in the future (and they are in good hockey positive locations) then the league will turn to them again. I mean what were the Hawks for a good 15 years before Toews and Kane? Not being marketed by the league.

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't disagree with a lot of this; and listening to the pressers this morning I think at least one or two of the "core" is going to get moved. The question I have is if the rumors of Q and Stan butting heads is going to reemerge. Q needs to make some changes but a lot of Stan's recent moves have been pretty bad.

Unfortunately the damn cap is going to eventually kill the team; which is ironic. the NHL wants to promote the hell out of the hawks to help grow the game but their own policies may end up keeping it stuck as mediocre
Most of Bowman's recent moves were low risk moves. The rest look bad because theyre up against the cap. The biggest mistake he has made was handing out NMC's like candy at halloween. The Hawks are great at scouting and their drafting has been pretty good.

People said the cap was going to kill the team after 2010 and 2013 and they still bounced back.

Id rather have a cap that have the same 3 teams buying their way to finals every year like the late 90s. It might mean the Hawks arent going to win as many Cups as they could but it makes the ones they do win mean more. It takes a lot more work to win them now.

The Hawks have been the creme of the crop for like 8 years. The NHL will just move on to some other US team if the Hawks slowly become and average team. I doubt the NHL cared about Washington during the Kolzig/Bondra era, but with Ovechkin they do care. Once Ovechkin retires/leaves for the KHL they might become less interesting to the league again.

Seems like a natural flow. Nobody cares about Colorado anymore, soon nobody will care about the Red Wings. If they step up to the plate in the future (and they are in good hockey positive locations) then the league will turn to them again. I mean what were the Hawks for a good 15 years before Toews and Kane? Not being marketed by the league.

I agree with the sentiment; and on paper you should be absolutely right. However the league has proven that they only care about big markets and ignore the rest. Just look at Wednesday night "rivalry" night. NYR vs PHI again, CHI vs DET (they'll still be on national TV even if both are in the basement in points)? Team like Toronto, Calgary, etc. should be getting large pushes with the amount of young and exciting talent they have. But they won't. Wait until the schedule for next year is released. I doubt many of the national games will involve up and coming talent. Instead it'll be the same teams from large markets with a bad start time that no one will watch unless your a fan of the team.

I'd rather see a luxury tax and take the extra money to buy a real marketing department

I'm not sure if the GWG was Karlsson's fault. The OTT centre let Backes beat him to the net and that created an odd man situation in front. If Karlsson fully committed to the guy who scored he'd be giving a clear path to Backes to the net. Just so happens the puck rebounded right to the open guy. Could have just as easily bounced right to Backes.

Trying to block the shot was probably right there since it gave him the best chance to prevent the scoring chance.

Yeah the problem was all 3 forwards moving towards the point man as if they expected to break out.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Whatever happened to Chewie?

His dad told him he had to stop posting

Self-imposed exile AFAIK because threads like the canada deals one made him spend too much money, exploiting his lack of self-restraint/compulsive money-spending habits. He noticed and decided it was best to leave

Foggy

Werenski ended up getting 9 normal stitches and 9 subdermal stitches. Apparently bone was showing. Broke his orbital and his sinus cavity. And his right eye is filled with blood and looks like a demon. Yeah.

tjJYV4j.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
I agree with the sentiment; and on paper you should be absolutely right. However the league has proven that they only care about big markets and ignore the rest. Just look at Wednesday night "rivalry" night. NYR vs PHI again, CHI vs DET (they'll still be on national TV even if both are in the basement in points)? Team like Toronto, Calgary, etc. should be getting large pushes with the amount of young and exciting talent they have. But they won't. Wait until the schedule for next year is released. I doubt many of the national games will involve up and coming talent. Instead it'll be the same teams from large markets with a bad start time that no one will watch unless your a fan of the team.

I'd rather see a luxury tax and take the extra money to buy a real marketing department
You cant complain about the big market teams and then push for a financial structure that only benefits them.

A luxury tax is just going to result in the same 4 or 5 teams buying players like its the late 90s - early 2000s.

Quick

Banned
His dad told him he had to stop posting

Self-imposed exile AFAIK because threads like the canada deals one made him spend too much money, exploiting his lack of self-restraint/compulsive money-spending habits. He noticed and decided it was best to leave

Yeah, he wasn't helping himself here at all. I thought his habit of buying controllers and jerseys was a schtick, but not at all. I also underestimated the extent of his OCD.

I'd say it's a massive step forward to recognize and immediately deal with his problem by stepping away from here.

Yeah, he wasn't helping himself here at all. I thought his habit of buying controllers and jerseys was a schtick, but not at all. I also underestimated the extent of his OCD.

I'd say it's a massive step forward to recognize and immediately deal with his problem by stepping away from here.

Yea, I always thought super-open-about-himself-on-the-internet-guy was just a thing he was doing for fun, exaggerating for effect.

Nope, Chewbs was actually super-open-about-himself-on-the-internet-guy.

lupinko

Chewie, we're (almost) home.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us here - but regardless, I want a Scarboro Sabres jersey.

I have a hangover now, but the price tag refers to it as a "football jersey", I was just having fun with that response, tho I see I had too much red wine and beer at that point.

These all you can drink parties are just that, all you can drink, with some food.

Miss that about being abroad. Going into clothing boutiques and finding ridiculous shit.

Ie, coming across faded-ass 1992 and 1993 Blue Jays World Series t-shirts in Berlin and Budapest for €50 and Ft45.

You cant complain about the big market teams and then push for a financial structure that only benefits them.

A luxury tax is just going to result in the same 4 or 5 teams buying players like its the late 90s - early 2000s.

Fair enough but I still think the NHL needs to do a better job in how they promote themselves in an attempt to grow their audience

Foggy

Sup Habbies, I'll trade you Bob and Foligno for Price. You get hugs and a captain who doesn't float. This is my final offer.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this ends the mentality of adding in grit and character guys at the deadline for the playoffs.

Fucking Bergevin

Top Bottom