• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

Ponn

Banned
I've been going through this the last week or so. I'm excited for Switch, I really am. It's what I have wanted out of a console for awhile now. If it came out 4 years or even 2 years ago I wouldn't even be having second thoughts. Right now thoughi i'm feeling like its going to be alot of wasted money for me. I don't game like I used to, big part because of my failing eyesight and other medical issues. I'm struggling just to play FFXV right now, I got my copy of KH 2.8 on release day but its untouched and I have so many games on my PS4 that are untouched its sickening to me. I have amassed a collection of 3DS and Vita games also in a backlog that are easier for me to play but have issues playing them due to my good days and bad days. There are still games I have to play on PS4 that will get thrown on the backlog pile but are still must buys for me like the KH collection, Persona 5 and Mass Effect. Down the road FF XII and KH 3. I want the Switch, but with all this going on for me it just seems like an illogical purchase right now. I've been considering keeping my Zelda BoTW Master Edition preorder though because I have a feeling I would eventually get a Switch after I clear some of my massive backlog or if they do a cheaper handheld only version or a really snazzy BF special edition.

de_reddy

Neo Member
I've been going through this the last week or so. I'm excited for Switch, I really am. It's what I have wanted out of a console for awhile now. If it came out 4 years or even 2 years ago I wouldn't even be having second thoughts. Right now thoughi i'm feeling like its going to be alot of wasted money for me. I don't game like I used to, big part because of my failing eyesight and other medical issues. I'm struggling just to play FFXV right now, I got my copy of KH 2.8 on release day but its untouched and I have so many games on my PS4 that are untouched its sickening to me. I have amassed a collection of 3DS and Vita games also in a backlog that are easier for me to play but have issues playing them due to my good days and bad days. There are still games I have to play on PS4 that will get thrown on the backlog pile but are still must buys for me like the KH collection, Persona 5 and Mass Effect. Down the road FF XII and KH 3. I want the Switch, but with all this going on for me it just seems like an illogical purchase right now. I've been considering keeping my Zelda BoTW Master Edition preorder though because I have a feeling I would eventually get a Switch after I clear some of my massive backlog or if they do a cheaper handheld only version or a really snazzy BF special edition.

You'll probably never have enough time if you're only playing those big RPG's. There are just too many of them last years.

Schneider

cancelled preorder with uni starting soon, will get a bundle down the line if they release one. just not that excited, and used the money on Stormblood preorder instead, which I will spend more hours on anyway

hiim_haz

Banned
I've been excited since they revealed it, the event only made me more excited for it. Nothing has changed much, it's been great hearing a lot of people talk positively about it too, same with a lot of indies.

One of my HDD was making some buzzing noises the other day, I'm thinking if I should buy a new one with the money I set aside for the Switch, but that's about it. I never had the chance to preorder so it is not like I wont still have to wait until it is back in stock anyway.

Jerm411

Had always planned to pre-order from the start and nothing really deterred me from that. Pre-ordered and can't wait, so hyped for Zelda.

I understand why people lost their shit after the Japan PC but I've always been pretty level headed when it comes to Nintendo and what they do so it didn't dissuade me a bit.

I'm locked in and ready. Zelda now, arms and kart later. I'm satisfied with the lineup of first party titles so far. Didn't really expect a major 3rd party presence going in.

Ponn

Banned
You'll probably never have enough time if you're only playing those big RPG's. There are just too many of them last years.

This s literally part of my thoughts and its depressing as fuck. I've sunk so much money into my overall PS library it literally makes me sick to my stomach that i'm not able to play stuff. Adding on to that pile is just giving me anxiety issues.

SerTapTap

Yes and no, I'm at about 50% sure I'll keep it. Honestly the main things keeping me on are Bomberman and the fact that hey, I cover games, might as well have the new nintendo thinger for a few videos or streams or whatever, right? Launch isn't impressive but I doubt the price will go down much within a year.

Might wait for holiday though, Mario makes it a lot more compelling and I'll maybe be able to get it + game for $300 instead of naked for $300.

So basically I have no idea but I haven't canceled it yet

guek

Banned
I wonder how many people are going to give up their preorder and then lament the system being sold out when they want to buy one during the holidays

It's $360 plus tax to play Zelda basically. I'm leaning towards canceling but then again, it's fucking Zelda.

I don't understand when people say this. Is Zelda the only game you are ever going to buy on the system? Does the unit become obsolete if there are no games immediately following Zelda? No. You purchase the thing now and then you won't have to purchase it when another game you want becomes available.

Already canceled mine. I think it's really a waste of money to buy it at launch so I decided to save my money for a bundle or sweet limited edition down the line. I will be playing Zelda on the Wii U and many other games on PS4 so waiting for another year is possibly the best decision right now.

(mat)

Man, if some of you who are disappointed want to slide your pre-order my way, I'll happily accept. No use holding them up if you're not interested.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Man, if some of you who are disappointed want to slide your pre-order my way, I'll happily accept. No use holding them up if you're not interested.

This! Especially if you have neon preordered. Lots of people want one. Be good to GAF.

ryechu

They couldve easily fucked up the hardware. Or the prices could've been way higher if they were shooting for the same margins as the wii U. I'm glad they didn't.

DonShula

This is exactly where I'm at. If they get Gamecube support on there day 1, that more than makes up for the lackluster launch lineup for me.

You know they won't. They'll release GameCube joycons down the line and ask you to pay $80 before buying VC Cube games. I love them, but that's how they operate.

Sometimes I do, but I know Zelda will be best on Switch, so while I could get it on Wii U I figure I might as well just get the better version from the start. The only thing I struggle with is the damn accessories.

I got a Pro Controller preordered but its fucking $75 and that's really more then I want to spend since I could easily buy a game for less then that. I'm stuck buying the charging cradle since I plan to play it docked almost all the time and I don't want to keep plugging them into the console.

I have become very excited for 4-player Super Bomberman R.

I am not that excited for anything else until Puyo Puyo Tetris in May.

Those 2 games alone make it a worthwhile purchase for me now instead of waiting for Mario which will easily make it worth the price of entry.

Switch + extra set of Joy-Con's and grip for a Bomberman game? Price out a saturn, saturn bomberman, 4+ controllers and a multitap, then you tell me.

forrest

formerly nacire
While I'm still incredibly excited for my pre-order, I can't help but be disappointed in accessory pricing, joy con grip not having charging capability and the lack of software.

ThEoRy...

I won't be buying a switch but I'm glad for those of you that did. The industry needs for NIntendo to be successful. If they fail I would hate to see them go the Sega route. A 2 console world is not a world I want to live in.

Luminaire

I may end up cancelling mine, but not due to expectations being net or not.

I owe on my taxes this year and it's coming out between an onslaught of games I really want on PS4. I think I'll grab it, Zelda, MK8, and a pro controller this summer.

But then Stormblood comes out in summer too. Hm...

Kadin

I got one preordered through Amazon but I might cancel it prior to launch. I'm really only interested in Zelda at this point and I imagine I'll be perfectly fine playing it on WiiU instead for the time being. It would be the first Nintendo console I haven't purchased at launch in many years so I'm still trying to decide...

Mit-

Felt differently the very next day. I'm still waiting on the verdict of Zelda on Wii U vs. Switch. If it plays or looks better on Wii U I'm going to cancel my Switch preorder in a heartbeat (or sell it).

Neoweee

I'd be getting the Switch some day regardless. I understand full well that buying it Day 1 for Zelda (and portable Disgaea 5) amounts to a ~$50 "Zelda Tax", because the price will certainly drop or be bundled by the time Mario comes out later this year.

pgharavi

Banned
Aren't consoles something a person can return like any other product at stores like Amazon, BB, Target, etc.?

I know games (i.e., software) are excluded, but I believe you can give the console a spin if you're willing to eat the cost of a game or two.

DonShula

Aren't consoles something a person can return like any other product at stores like Amazon, BB, Target, etc.?

I know games (i.e., software) are excluded, but I believe you can give the console a spin if you're willing to eat the cost of a game or two.

Not even in the Blockbuster days did renting a console cost that much.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't understand when people say this. Is Zelda the only game you are ever going to buy on the system? Does the unit become obsolete if there are no games immediately following Zelda? No. You purchase the thing now and then you won't have to purchase it when another game you want becomes available.

My Wii U game collection consisted of Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword and Bayonetta 2. That's a possible outcome for me.

MutFox

Banned
Still have my pre-order, but I'm planning a long trip to Japan...
Probably won't be using it, so I'll probably get it later...

I genuinely would have cancelled my preorder if my father in law hadn't come into a load of retirement money and offered to pay for it because the price feels too high with the limited number of games. However with 4 and a half weeks to go I'm super excited and glad he's been so kind to us. Can't wait for 4 player Snipperclips with the wife and kids.

This warms my heart. Family + Nintendo = Fun

JMY86

I still have my preorder with Amazon. I was super hyped but my excitement is definitely waning. Horizon comes out a few days earlier which is troublesome and Mass Effect comes out a few weeks later in which time I will completely abandon the Switch to play that. I am seriously on the fence about keeping my preorder.

JDH

I'm a bit on the fence as I don't really need any portability, and i'm not very interested in most of the games right now. Hopefully new announcements come before launch that gets me excited :)

KevinG

I still have my preorder with Amazon. I was super hyped but my excitement is definitely waning. Horizon comes out a few days earlier which is troublesome and Mass Effect comes out a few weeks later in which time I will completely abandon the Switch to play that. I am seriously on the fence about keeping my preorder.

I'm the opposite.

Skipping Horizon and Mass Effect in favor of grabbing them at a price drop later, assuming they're received well.

Putting everything aside for Zelda on the Switch.

I'm the opposite.

Skipping Horizon and Mass Effect in favor of grabbing them at a price drop later, assuming they're received well.

Putting everything aside for Zelda on the Switch.

I'm doing the same, but I'm guessing we may be in the minority.

Top Bottom