• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Salvadora

I've been trying to figure out if the Beeb simulcasts the show online (which I could then sorta-kinda-technically watch legally on a VPN) but I've never gotten an answer.

If you want a method that is 100% legal, then no, probably not.
They do.

There is a "watch live" button on iPlayer.

Ithil

I think it was a mistake for them to kill off Moriarty. The character was so cool and ad so much potential.

That kind of a character can't be kept around for long, though, without greatly diminishing his effectiveness. Given how smart/diabolical he is and how dominating he is over the proceedings, if you kept him around for ages you'd either have to make every plot about him, or make him less important.

I've seen way too many characters kept around past their story arc because they're cool or funny or whatever, and end up not doing much of anything by the end.

Hindle

Banned
That kind of a character can't be kept around for long, though, without greatly diminishing his effectiveness. Given how smart/diabolical he is and how dominating he is over the proceedings, if you kept him around for ages you'd either have to make every plot about him, or make him less important.

I've seen way too many characters kept around past their story arc because they're cool or funny or whatever, and end up not doing much of anything by the end.

I understand why, as they wanted him to blaze out instead of fade away. But man, such a great actor and a performance.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I understand why, as they wanted him to blaze out instead of fade away. But man, such a great actor and a performance.

He's from Band of Brothers so of course his performance was great. He was also good in The Hour though his part was not nearly as juicy as Moriarty.

Chris R

This will be on BBCA/Netflix shortly after it airs in the UK right? Watched all of Series 1 yesterday, planning on watching Series 2 before the year is out. Great stuff.

This will be on BBCA/Netflix shortly after it airs in the UK right? Watched all of Series 1 yesterday, planning on watching Series 2 before the year is out. Great stuff.

No, in the US, PBS will start airing it on January 19th. So you'll have to decide whether you want to wait for PBS or not.

Eoin

Can I do this on an iPad? If so, how? Not going to have a computer, so I'd like to try to figure out how to use iPlayer.
A quick search shows UK ip proxy apps, so I'm sure you can. I'm sure if you Google it, you can find some instructions somewhere.

So there are some new trailers that have been released.

1) A new trailer from BBC One via their Instagram account (though a longer one is on the BBC site) and it's about a minute-long teaser of sorts. Features the return of two things.

2) Another trailer that's mildly spoilery is up on Amazon UK for the Season 3 DVD/BD. I say mildly only if you have zero clue as to what the eps are about or have not read the synopsis for each ep.

Happy Christmas.

Hmmm.

I found something that allows mediahint on my iPad, so I hope it will work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1563153

Though guy at the bottom with iPad 3 said it didn't work for him.

I thought Mediahint was supposed to be to access US sites. But maybe it automatically does everything. Doesn't help that the website does not tell anything about what it precisely does. I only use it for help with Netflix.

Leeness

I thought Mediahint was supposed to be to access US sites. But maybe it automatically does everything. Doesn't help that the website does not tell anything about what it precisely does. I only use it for help with Netflix.

Hm...

Well. My sister said she'd lend me her laptop if I couldn't get anything else to work.

have you tried it yet?

I just watched the mini-ep. suffering from an almost fictional craving now.

R9LwMV3.gif

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I hate to be so negative, but if you are going to illegally watch this live from outside the US/without a UK TV licence, can you please, please make sure you also watch it when it is broadcast in your native country and maybe buy the DVDs or something? It definitely sucks that there is a wait between broadcast dates - us in the UK know this better than Americans, for sure - but please try to do something to compensate for pirating the BBC.

GCX

I hate to be so negative, but if you are going to illegally watch this live from outside the US/without a UK TV licence, can you please, please make sure you also watch it when it is broadcast in your native country and maybe buy the DVDs or something? It definitely sucks that there is a wait between broadcast dates - us in the UK know this better than Americans, for sure - but please try to do something to compensate for pirating the BBC.
Watching it from a local TV channel doesn't really compensate anything though if you don't live in one of those very very few households that are used to calculate the average viewership.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Watching it from a local TV channel doesn't really compensate anything though if you don't live in one of those very very few households that are used to calculate the average viewership.

In the USA, sure, but Nielsen isn't used everywhere. Buy something from the BBC or something. Anything, instead of just pirating it please.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Watching it again since it's my Birthday. Wonder how a Happy Birthday To You would sound with Benedict's voice.

raindoc

How does the UK rating system work?

I own both seasons on BR... but why it isn't possible to pay to watch TV programs world-wide via the internet is beyond my understanding, in 2014. (At least when it comes to public programs like the BBC, which wouldn't loose any TV-Subscriptions.) I won't loose any sleep over watching it in the wild, not even if it got cancelled.

I actually buy the BDs once they're released as they're the ones that feature the cast commentary. I've also rebought the series on iTunes because it's more convenient to watch on my phone than when I'm home. I'll also be watching on PBS once it airs.

In short, I'll be watching pleanty enough really.

Eoin

I get what you are saying about supporting the show, but using a proxy to gain access to iPlayer is in no way illegal or pirating.

Leeness

have you tried it yet?

I just watched the mini-ep. suffering from an almost fictional craving now.

Not yet, I'm gonna give it a shot on the weekend.

Braving the Boxing Day stores today. Haha.

And to the negative person, whatever way I end up watching it, I will always buy it and rewatch and probably buy for others.

I watched Series 1 and 2 on Netflix. Is that acceptable to you?

LordCanti

I get what you are saying about supporting the show, but using a proxy to gain access to iPlayer is in no way illegal or pirating.

The VPN I'll be using is hosted by a company that is surely paying UK taxes and supporting the BBC, so yeah, I don't feel bad about doing it at all. I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out like I always do.

mclem

I've been trying to figure out if the Beeb simulcasts the show online (which I could then sorta-kinda-technically watch legally on a VPN) but I've never gotten an answer.

There *is* live iPlayer, but it's a bit buried in the options. Unfortunately, I'm *not* currently in the UK over Christmas, so I'm afraid I can't look up precise pointers myself.

LordCanti

There *is* live iPlayer, but it's a bit buried in the options. Unfortunately, I'm *not* currently in the UK over Christmas, so I'm afraid I can't look up precise pointers myself.

Yeah I've been trying it out and it works fine on this VPN. The quality isn't the best though, so depending on what time this ends up airing in the US, I may just wait until I can watch an HD replay through iPlayer. If there was an HD option somewhere on iPlayer and I missed it, I digress (and would love tips for enabling it from anyone that knows).

Top Bottom