• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

See, with this game I don't care for the gameplay and asthetics at all :D Floaty and sluggish (can't think of a better word) fighting and - to me personally - completely unappealing graphics and design.

Sorry, I really do appreciate your post, but that game's not for me.
Gameplay has actually been praised as been quite tactical and precise. (ie flinging a throwing knife to hit an enemy's thrown potion mid-air, or using flames on undergrowth to trap enemies in a propagating fire that also blinds them with the smoke)

It's more like Brogue and classic roguelikes, but real time

Corpekata

Banned
Calling a game you haven't played sluggish and floaty is just flat out bizaare. Like, disliking the visual stuff, I get, but dismissing the combat like that is pretty nonsensical.

cackhyena

See, with this game I don't care for the gameplay and asthetics at all :D Floaty and sluggish (can't think of a better word) fighting and - to me personally - completely unappealing graphics and design.

Sorry, I really do appreciate your post, but that game's not for me.

The hell are you talking about? I've heard it controls pretty damn well. Like character action games well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think the game feels great and the visual feedback is sufficiently punchy. Once you've played it for a while you can really blow through the earlier levels like a badass.

Tendo

My two previous favorite rogue likes were risk of rain and binding of isaac. This is on par with those. What a great game so far. The graphics and setting are just incredible. Well worth the 16 bucks!

nynt9

Wow, this game is shockingly good. I'm surprised it's early access. One question is, is there a way to earn gear that I bought with cells besides buying them with gold if I can find a shop?

Wow, this game is shockingly good. I'm surprised it's early access. One question is, is there a way to earn gear that I bought with cells besides buying them with gold if I can find a shop?
Early Access isn't a measure of quality, ie Rimworld, Invisible Inc, Divinity Original Sin, etc. But this certainly is one of the best in terms of feeling fully realized, rather than like a skeleton of a game

Corpekata

Banned

Earning them with cells puts them into the random item pool, so yes.

No way to currently say, have them at the start of the run, but sounds like something that might get added over time perhaps.

nynt9

Early Access isn't a measure of quality, ie Rimworld, Invisible Inc, Divinity Original Sin, etc. But this certainly is one of the best in terms of feeling fully realized, rather than like a skeleton of a game

Yeah I don't use early access as a measure of quality. Just completeness, and this game feels very realized.

Copying and pasting my post from the Humblebundle sale thread.

This game is a revelation for me.

OH
MY
GOD

Full Disclosure: I'm coming off of a 6 week 126 hour BloodBorne binge.

I had seen Dead Cells in our "What game are you Literally" post, where many users have debated the use of "Literally".

I did not know it was on Early Access now. I bought it and I just spend the past 74 minutes smiling ear to fucking ear.

Guys, Girls, Animals, go buy it NOW! It's...
LITERALLY
ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

I can't believe I have to go to work now, I'm going to be thinking about it all day.

GIF PROOF G.O.A.T
giphy.gif

45DEED85106C128BC8C734E9CF7E5252FC0BC7AA

boss.gif

EDIT: Ok I seriously can't stop ocd'ing. Example of why it's great.
1. Animation is on point. There are some things they'll need to touch up, but damn good.
2. Runs great. There is some minor graphic bugs, but for the most part on my system it ran great.
3. Feels great. I'm a huge proponent on how weapons/guns feel in games, they got to have umph to them.
4. Controls like butta. Smooth, all natural, grass fed. BOVINE UNIVERSITY BUTTA
5. Look at it. Jesus the artwork, the animation combined, just, ugh.

Ok leaving for real, someone go buy it, then comeback nerd out with me and tell me "Damn Coma you're right, this is fucking great, I'll play a progressive metal song in your honor".

I've put about 30 hours into it, unlocked every blueprint except for the broadsword, which was accidentally removed from the game.

It needs a few things; one, there's many weapons but the swords in particular use palette swapped animations played at different speeds to reflect their attack speeds. Those ought to be touched up and changed to make every weapon feel differently; underhanded slashes are nice and all but this presents an issue that CV has never had since the NES/SNES days with regards to flying monsters -- namely, you can't hit them most of the time, which elevates weapons like the Electric Whip.

Secondly, distribution of monsters is such that some monsters (fog creators) are extremely rare. It's common to go through Ossuary > Prison Depths > Fog Fjord > Graveyard and find only a single fog creating monster. It drops a blueprint, and it's safe to assume that their relative rarity as well as the difficulty they present (especially in the areas they're found in) that you're not going to FIND that blueprint very easily. In fact, you might not even realize it's a thing that drops.

Third, the spread of gear, skills, and etc, in the beginning of the game after you've died twice already fails to include every blueprint -- it looks nice, and all, but further expansion of repertoire means that you'll have to ignore it, expand it, or forget about new blueprints.

Fourth, it needs some manner of invincibility frames after you've been hit, to keep from being juggled (always when I'm descending a chain in a small hallway) to death.

Lastly, balance is a little weird. Top tier is Damage Buffer + Electric Whip. Electric Whip hits flying enemies, secrets, doors, through floors, as well as stuns enemies. Damage Buffer adds a flat amount of damage before ANY +%damage, or bonuses from Strength, so an endgame run is "kill everything in two hits with Damage buffer and never stop moving because you d on't have to" until you get to the boss, and it's "7 uses of damage buffer = gg." While the RNG elements at play mean you may never FIND a Damage Buffer or Electric Whip, either one of them alone can dramatically remove the difficulty. A rework might be necessary, but I'd prefer to use animation changes to make it easier for other weapons to attack flying enemies instead, so that you aren't mostly defenseless around them.

All in all, it was worth the 12 bucks I paid for it, many times over. ...And it's ONLY in early access, so I fully expect most of this to be fixed in the next patch or in subsequent ones. You can tell by how the game is designed that it was meant to kill you first, and allow you to slowly get better over time, and then guarantee that you will be making steady progress toward doing so with permanent buffs, like letting you keep gold when you die, added damage on weapons at base, health potions (up to 4, currently). It's difficult, but easy to play, easy to control for the most part, and routinely forgiving.

I wouldn't call it the best Early Access game on Steam, but it's better than some FULL games I've bought.

Copying and pasting my post from the Humblebundle sale thread.

This game is a revelation for me.

OH
MY
GOD

Full Disclosure: I'm coming off of a 6 week 126 hour BloodBorne binge.

I had seen Dead Cells in our "What game are you Literally" post, where many users have debated the use of "Literally".

I did not know it was on Early Access now. I bought it and I just spend the past 74 minutes smiling ear to fucking ear.

Guys, Girls, Animals, go buy it NOW! It's...
LITERALLY
ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

I can't believe I have to go to work now, I'm going to be thinking about it all day.

GIF PROOF G.O.A.T
giphy.gif

45DEED85106C128BC8C734E9CF7E5252FC0BC7AA

boss.gif

EDIT: Ok I seriously can't stop ocd'ing. Example of why it's great.
1. Animation is on point. There are some things they'll need to touch up, but damn good.
2. Runs great. There is some minor graphic bugs, but for the most part on my system it ran great.
3. Feels great. I'm a huge proponent on how weapons/guns feel in games, they got to have umph to them.
4. Controls like butta. Smooth, all natural, grass fed. BOVINE UNIVERSITY BUTTA
5. Look at it. Jesus the artwork, the animation combined, just, ugh.

Ok leaving for real, someone go buy it, then comeback nerd out with me and tell me "Damn Coma you're right, this is fucking great, I'll play a progressive metal song in your honor".

I'll buy it as soon as it comes out on PS4.

Jinaar

I am 20 minutes into this game and it is the most beautiful thing. This game is just so well done and pulls on all the best gaming pleasures I have experienced in the last 35 years. This is a marvel, glad I just randomly purchased it today. So glad!

gypsie

Walked the dog first thing Sunday, said to myself I'll play for 30 mins then go outside again as it was sunny as hell (I live in london so this is rare).

Ended up playing this game for 8 hours straight.... Didn't leave the house and done none of the things I was supposed to have done.

So yea this game is great.

Buy it.

KarmaCow

Are blueprints fixed drops, meaning killing certain enemies in specific ways guarantees a drop or are they just random? Also is there any reason to go for the time locked doors after the first time? It seems like they don't have anything worthwhile.

I had the Blueprint for that whip. Then I died. :(

You're not missing much. It has a slow attack speed and the sweet spot is small.

Nah that whip. THAT WHIP. It makes me feel like Simon Belmont.

I got the teleport ability that gives me increases damage on my first hit after phasing. So I'd phase right before an enemy lunged at me, turn around, and they'd be right at the critical distance. So satisfying, I almost cleared the ossuary with that combo (got greedy and took on an elite).

Seriously love that thing.

LaneDS

Picked this up over the weekend after recommendations from a friend and hearing other positive impressions and it's amazing. Can absolutely see it being one of my favorite games this year after a few hours with it.

LaneDS

"soulslike" has become a mark of mediocrity and genericity for me.

I know the description includes that saying, but this is a Castlevania rogue-lite. You could apply that same "souls-like" description to the Castlevania games this title is clearly drawing inspiration from, so don't let it stop you from playing it (assuming you enjoy CV titles).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Other than the Bloodborne style health regain system, there's nothing in this game that is Soulslike, is there?

There's no corpse recovery mechanic which would be the most obvious Souls feature for a game like this.

Izuna

Banned
I know the description includes that saying, but this is a Castlevania rogue-lite. You could apply that same "souls-like" description to the Castlevania games this title is clearly drawing inspiration from, so don't let it stop you from playing it (assuming you enjoy CV titles).

Yeah, I'll watch more when I get home from work, but it's a shame that people try to find "Souls" in many games when it doesn't mean quality.

Rouge likes are traditionally awesome so I hope this is really all that.

That said, the worst parts of Nioh are its "soulslike" components. I want debs to move away from it when they got so much else.

This game is really cool, but it reminds me why I don't typically purchase early access games. I've had four or five hard crashes, and while crashing in a game like this generally doesn't mean losing significant progress, it's still supremely annoying when you're in the middle of a good run.

I think I'm done until the game is officially released.

Fun game! I like how tight and rewarding the combat is. Every death feels avoidable: why did I take on that elite with 0 potion charges & 1/2hp? Why did I jump on that completely optional tiny platform crammed with hard-hitting enemies? Eagerly waiting what the future patches bring with them.

No technical issues for me during the 11 hours I have played this far.

Diablos

Is it like rogue legacy in that you can carry over stats, buffs etc even if you die? When you beat a boss does it remember?

KarmaCow

Is it like rogue legacy in that you can carry over stats, buffs etc even if you die? When you beat a boss does it remember?

Character stats reset each run but you can upgrade the base damage on weapons permanently. There's no guarantee that you'll find that specific weapon in a run though. There are unlocks you that you'll chip away at in runs, but it's more about expanding the item pool rather than only making yourself more powerful.

The game is level based instead of one contiguous world and there are bosses, but they seem to revive between runs. However there seem to one time only elite enemy encounters that reward you with a permanent traversal ability. Once you get the ability, that area of the map no longer generates in a run but those elite enemy encounters can appear elsewhere in the level and usually give you a non-permanent item as a reward.

Adam Blue

Some stuff carry over. But you can do upgrading that helps with that aspect. So far, as far as bosses go, I haven't come across one that I've beaten.

This game is fantastic though. I have noting to complain about.

Top Bottom