• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Really pleasantly surprised by this game. I got to play one life at a friends and was immediately pleased with the controls and combat. You've got two or three options for combat at the start of each run and that only grows as you get more passives, weapons and bombs.

Personally found the double daggers to be a blast - rolling past enemies feels good because of the invincibility frames.

I am kinda meh about the graphics. The backgrounds can be nice, but the crunchy pixels tend to rub me the wrong way.

Anyways yeah, I'll have to try hard not to buy this before it releases from early access.

You're in the wrong genre if you don't want perma death.

Also forgot to say - I loved that using the whip in mid air pauses your fall speed.

drotahorror

You're in the wrong genre if you don't want perma death.

Also forgot to say - I loved that using the whip in mid air pauses your fall speed.

If you jump once, and then press attack and jump again at the same time (with the electric whip as your attack) you'll actually jump about a bodies length higher than a normal double jump.

It also works with bows. You can use this to bypass a few things or take alternate routes in a couple areas.

A typo on my part. Should have been RL for Rogue Legacy, but ended up with the G for Galaxy.

Figured as much. I call Rebel Galaxy, rogue galaxy, all the time.

drotahorror

my electric whip is hitting for over 1700 right now with damage buffer.

7fVOx3B.png

incase anyone is curious

I'm at the graveyard, I always get 1 shotted or die to something stupid here. It sucks that I'm getting this far with the first time using my new steam controller. I have a feeling i'ma fumble the controls.

Hexer06

I like to do the dual daggers with electric whip as my secondary. Seems to be a good combo. I also like that the whip automatically hits "hidden" runes/walls. This game is pretty dam awesome, but I've sure been mad at it when I get pretty far in a level and die. Lol

If you jump once, and then press attack and jump again at the same time (with the electric whip as your attack) you'll actually jump about a bodies length higher than a normal double jump.

It also works with bows. You can use this to bypass a few things or take alternate routes

Fuuuuck I was wondering if there was any weird jump combos like that! I was trying out dodge + jump simultaneously but I'll have to do the whip jump next time.

I'm going to buy this game.
If I get pissed off too much I'll consider using a trainer or cheat engine.

Mostly not for infinite health but for other things.
Permadeath is a game ruining experience that shouldn't be a game's main feature.

git gud? lol yeah fuck all that. I want to have fun.
I'll save my git gud requirements for Bloodborne 2.

Do KB&M controls work pretty good for this game? Many say 2D games don't work well with KB&M but I've played games like Spelunky and Shovel Knight just fine with them so I'm wondering if it's the same for this game.

Permadeath is a game ruining experience that shouldn't be a game's main feature.

It's a rougelike. Permadeath is integral to the subgenre.

RPS loves it
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/16/dead-cells-review-early-access/
As much as it wants to be seen as the bastard child of Castlevania and Dark Souls, it’s closer in atmosphere and challenge to another game: Risk of Rain. This is not a complaint, because Risk of Rain was excellent, and this is shaping up to be just as good. If it only adds more levels, bosses and enemies, it would be an easy recommendation.
It’s a hugely mechanically literate videogame, if that makes any sense, absorbing the tissue from a library of sources and somehow smooshing them together until only a single rock-solid figure remains, quick on its feet and dripping with viscera. When I first received a press release about it, I frowned at the term “roguevania”, being instinctively hostile to the hybrid phrases birthed by developers and PR folk, like so many slimy chimeras. But for once, Dead Cells is worthy of its own invention. It’s not just a roguevania – it’s a damn good roguevania.

Nivert

I thought the biters skill would be pretty useless so I always skipped it for other things but I had a couple runs today that focused on them and it's really good.

By the way I'm not sure if certain loot is region-specific but has anyone gotten the broadsword yet? I saw it on an early preview stream but they changed how you get it and I've been wanting it but not sure if I should grind a specific area, or if it's behind a time gate, etc.

drotahorror

I thought the biters skill would be pretty useless so I always skipped it for other things but I had a couple runs today that focused on them and it's really good.

By the way I'm not sure if certain loot is region-specific but has anyone gotten the broadsword yet? I saw it on an early preview stream but they changed how you get it and I've been wanting it but not sure if I should grind a specific area, or if it's behind a time gate, etc.

If you get a weapon with the biters as an extra quality on it, it's so good. Think 8-10 biters running around at all times. They can solo enemies easily.

Nivert

If you get a weapon with the biters as an extra quality on it, it's so good. Think 8-10 biters running around at all times. They can solo enemies easily.

Yup I had biters that caused poison and a turret that did 50% bonus damage on poisoned enemies and they destroyed everything. Unfortunately it made me way too cocky and got myself killed but it was a blast.

cwistofu

I think you're playing the wrong types of games if you want to beat games just to beat them.

duppolo

i really like it, but sometimes it crashes and one time i lost one runes for boss killing and some recipes...thats make me want to wait playing, and thats bad, cause i really like it. early acces by the way, so i think i just have to wait

Now that I'm getting time to sink in, this stutter is real bad. It needs fixing as it's negatively impacting combat and platforming. Nothing fixes it (vsync in game, in the control panel, frame limiting - nothing).

TB likes it too
Dead Cells is a game that basically took my laundry list of personal issues with roguelites and said, "ok, lets fix all of those". Its great

Man, I'd love if one could combine the perfect level generation of Spelunky with this game's combat. This definitely has the best real-time combat I've enjoyed in an action roguelike/lite. Enter The Gungeon is up there too

Peroroncino

For anyone curious, I asked them if there are 'any chances for Dead Cells on PS4?' They responded, and I quote:

Yep, but it's too early to call it. Give us a year...

Shiiit, I'm really itching to play it.

Kuosi

Game is an absolute blast.Those whining at permadeath should not be looking to play roguelike's in the first place.

iddqd

I'm not a fan of permadeath OR early access, still bought it and I'm having a great time.

Having SOME things that carry over to the next run is the thing that makes it work for me.
Wish ENTER THE GUNGEON had that, would have made me keep the game.

And fuck those red guys and their ability to shoot through ceiling.
And the spikes that appear from off screen.

Lanrutcon

I've gotten to the 2nd boss enough times to know that the game needs a bit more time in the oven. Especially interested to see how he's going to solve the scaling problem: if you don't get lucky with health upgrades, thing kill you in 1 hit in the later stages. That problem is only going to get worse the more stages are added. He's either going to need to do dynamic enemy scaling based on the amount of generated stat ups, or add some kind of reliable progress per run.

And for the love of god, revamp the 75% of the skills which are pointless. Why on earth does stuff like Grenades exist in a world with Death Orbs, Horizontal Turrets, Cluster Bombs and Buzzsaws?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is absolutely solid. Fantastic. A definite classic.

The only problem with it is the stutter. I really hope they address it soon.

I think you're playing the wrong types of games if you want to beat games just to beat them.

It's not that I just want to beat the game but to enjoy it.
Some games are just too good to not play.

There's usually a solid work around for certain mechanics which can improve the game but is highly debatable.

It's not that I just want to beat the game but to enjoy it.
Some games are just too good to not play.

There's usually a solid work around for certain mechanics which can improve the game but is highly debatable.
Peadeath, at least in a roguelike, is a part of that enjoyment. It serves the same function as the sparse bonfires and respawning enemies in Dark Souls, in that every run is a learning process and that looming threat adds weight to all your actions and decisions

Do KB&M controls work pretty good for this game? Many say 2D games don't work well with KB&M but I've played games like Spelunky and Shovel Knight just fine with them so I'm wondering if it's the same for this game.

I got used to the KB+M controls very quickly and am having pretty much no issues with moving around and doing stunts.

I've been playing this one for a few days now and it's pretty amazing, although I haven't really played a lot of stuff like this so maybe I'm not as fatigued by the genre as much.

You can pretty much cancel any move into any other move, so attacking, dashing, blocking and jumping all snap into one another very quickly, so they've really nailed the basic mechanics incredibly well. It all feels very snappy, precise and quick.
The double jump kinda feels off sometimes because you can activate the second jump a bit too quickly if you're mashing the jump button, so you can get like a 10% distance from the first jump + a full second jump, and you don't even notice you did a double jump at all, but it's not that much of a problem.

I've only once managed to get to what seems to be the final boss of the current state of the game but died rather foolishly. It's got a lot more weapons and powers than I expected but I've been sticking more to the Twin Daggers and the Electric Whip when I can get them. The Electric Whip can be kinda OP, especially if you get two Damage Buffer skills, or even better, the 2x damage dealt and received weapon modifier which absolutely destroys everything in its path, but it also makes you pretty vulnerable to one or two hit kills. One thing the whip can really mess you up with are the locked golden doors which inflict a curse upon you if you destroy them (the whip automatically targets doors, so you can accidentally quickly destroy a golden door if you're powered up).

One thing I kinda realized late is that, naturally, the more weapons and skills you unlock, the less of a chance of getting the ones you want. I used to get the Electric Whip a lot at first (which, as I mentioned can be kinda OP), but since I've unlocked a lot of stuff by now, I rarely get the whip at all, which is a bummer.

Overall, I think this is a pretty damn great game, even in its early access state and I hope more people will notice it because it definitely deserves some praise.

Went ahead and picked this up before the small discount ticked over but I probably won't be playing much until it leaves Early Access. I've watched a few streamers play a few runs though and it's definitely something I'm looking forward to diving in to.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Why oh why must this be a roguelike with randomly generated levels? This game, but with actual level design, would be amazing :/

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
How does this differ from Rogue Legacy?
Basically:

Rogue Legacy has permanent character stat boosts, the traits system, floaty controls, and basic combat.

Dead Cells has permanent weapon power modifiers only, temporary stat boosts, a wider variety of weapons and combat-oriented abilities, tighter controls, and more complex combat (in part due to weapon variety and rolling).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's already pretty fucking amazing right now though

Maybe going by the second to second gameplay, but I learned to hate roguelike level "design" over the last hundred games that did this, so I'll pass. I do see the appeal, but I can't deal with run based randomized levels anymore, got way too tired of it.

Maybe going by the second to second gameplay, but I learned to hate roguelike level "design" over the last hundred games that did this, so I'll pass. I do see the appeal, but I can't deal with run based randomized levels anymore, got way too tired of it.
You should check out Unexplored, it's been praised for its unique approach to dungeon design that often feels handcrafted. Mainly because the levels are designed to be "cyclic", rather than linear, allowing for natural backtracking and room connection, and because the entire dungeon is generated rather than floor by floor, so you can have lore hinting at puzzles and dangers found in later floors, and subtle clues about secrets that link the entire dungeon together in a realistic way

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You should check out Unexplored, it's been praised for its unique approach to dungeon design that often feels handcrafted. Mainly because the levels are designed to be "cyclic", rather than linear, allowing for natural backtracking and room connection, and because the entire dungeon is generated rather than floor by floor, so you can have lore hinting at puzzles and dangers found in later floors, and subtle clues about secrets that link the entire dungeon together in a realistic way

See, with this game I don't care for the gameplay and asthetics at all :D Floaty and sluggish (can't think of a better word) fighting and - to me personally - completely unappealing graphics and design.

Sorry, I really do appreciate your post, but that game's not for me.

Top Bottom