• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Gameplay has actually been praised as been quite tactical and precise. (ie flinging a throwing knife to hit an enemy's thrown potion mid-air, or using flames on undergrowth to trap enemies in a propagating fire that also blinds them with the smoke)

It's more like Brogue and classic roguelikes, but real time

I Played unexplored this past weekend and did not like the feel of the gameplay so I get what they mean.

Was so close to buying Dead Cells but I'm not sure if i should just wait until it's released. What exactly do they plan on adding or changing with the game?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I finally made it past the first boss only to die in the fjord place...

also is this the OT?
Fjord enemies are tough. The two times I had a fairly easy time there was with the sword that does more damage if you've just been hit and the shotgun crossbow combined with a high strength stat.

I have a feeling they're going to nerf that revenge blade because it makes health recovery extremely easy.

Put a handful of hours into this over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I hated Rogue Legacy, but this has me hooked so far. Awesome art/animations, and the combat feels very satisfying. Every run I am able to progress a bit farther. 3rd area starts to get pretty tough. Feels incredibly polished for an early access game too.

I Played unexplored this past weekend and did not like the feel of the gameplay so I get what they mean.

Was so close to buying Dead Cells but I'm not sure if i should just wait until it's released. What exactly do they plan on adding or changing with the game?

They talked a bit about their road-map, as well as what to expect from the first content update:

The road-map:
At day one of the Early Access we'll be a little ahead of schedule. We've managed to complete:
11 levels - Each with a variation of enemies, design and ambience.
20 monsters - More in fact, but there will be plenty of ways for you to die.
50 items - Tons of weapon, active skills, traps, amulets and so on to experiment with!
1 fluid fun combat system - Wait to you get to explore. It feels pretty nice.
Hours and hours of gameplay - anywhere from 45 minutes to 30 hours or more depending on your skill.
This represents about 40-50% of the content that we would like to add to the world as we go. That means more levels, more bosses, more items, more meta skills and progression. This however doesn't take into account feedback from the community and things that you guys are going to want to see in the game.

We estimate that we will need at least 8 months, but up to and perhaps beyond 12 months to incorporate new asides, finish our vision for the project, balance it and prepare for any eventual console releases.

First Update:
The first content update will happen close to the end of the month and will include a mix match of new things:
Weapons and items!
NPCs - More of the little chaps hanging around taking the mickey...
Achievements - We hear you like achievements...
Stats - Now you'll be able to measure, compare and brag all you want.
Lots of balancing - Bleed damage we're looking at you...
A new monster - Kill or be killed!
Music is coming - Yoann is hard at work, doing stuff.
New mechanic: Use the elements to turn the tide in your favor!

f7d850c59db1a216fdfe2f1a51385016c899b8da.gif

7334d1b256286acf397c2b779ced754c4e2ed6e8.gif

My biggest gripe with this game so far is the roll mechanic. It needs work; especially against shielded enemies or in situations where enemies are grouped together. I appreciate the limitation on roll spamming, but I don't feel the current timing/balance is right. I'd rather either have the ability to roll twice in a row with a longer cooldown penalty, or have the roll travel a greater distance (even just a few pixels) so that you're more reliably able to move past shielded enemies or enemies with an AOE/long attack reach.

Is it like rogue legacy in that you can carry over stats, buffs etc even if you die? When you beat a boss does it remember?
Stat upgrades which are found in the game world (health, weapon damage, skill damage/cooldown) reset on death. Bosses reset on death. Gold is lost upon death at the start, but there are perks you can unlock to retain a percentage on your next run.

Individual weapon/skill/ability upgrades that you unlock with the Collector NPC are permanent across runs.

petrvs

My biggest gripe with this game so far is the roll mechanic. It needs work; especially against shielded enemies or in situations where enemies are grouped together. I appreciate the limitation on roll spamming, but I don't feel the current timing/balance is right. I'd rather either have the ability to roll twice in a row with a longer cooldown penalty, or have the roll travel a greater distance (even just a few pixels) so that you're more reliably able to move past shielded enemies or enemies with an AOE/long attack reach.

I agree with you

At the moment is either too short or too fast

DrAg0nBoY

I am so mad right now. I almost got the first boss but died because I got nervous too much and started button mashing. Oh well.

glaurung

I've been playing this quite a bit recently. The first bridge boss remains unbeatable because I rarely get to him with my ideal gear setup. Also, the Electric Whip and Throwing Knife combo is pretty great for me. Bows feel useless thanks to the low speed, turrets are good but tend to fall where I don't want them to.

Bring on more content.

Are they going to wipe the current status when the update hits? I've earned a lot of upgrades already.

Bridge Boss becomes fairly routine at a point, keep pushing. His tells are pretty obvious and unless you're carrying a flashbang or ice grenade (to interrupt), don't jump against him in his final stage, you'll go down instantly.

I agree with you

At the moment is either too short or too fast
Case in point, the flying bomb enemies in The Old Sewers (they look like green blobs with wings). Their blast radius is almost identical to the range of your roll, so if they trigger directly on top of you and you roll away, you're not guaranteed to escape. This can especially be a problem with the random level generation as oftentimes you're not even afforded the space to maneuver away. In a game obviously designed for speedruns, it's problematic that you suddenly have to creep and crawl through an area just so you're not caught in a bad situation completely out of your control.

Lanrutcon

I've been playing this quite a bit recently. The first bridge boss remains unbeatable because I rarely get to him with my ideal gear setup. Also, the Electric Whip and Throwing Knife combo is pretty great for me. Bows feel useless thanks to the low speed, turrets are good but tend to fall where I don't want them to.

Bring on more content.

Are they going to wipe the current status when the update hits? I've earned a lot of upgrades already.

If the first boss is getting you, then dude: second boss is going to redefine your definition of bullshit.

Mr Git

I played this at EGX last year and really enjoyed it. The devs were lovely too. Didn't realise it was already out on EA will check it out next week.

So does Dead Cells not have an OT? I know it's still in Early Access, but it feels better than 99% of other finished titles. I'd actually consider making one up, if there's a demand for it.

Oh, and game-related: I found a turret that inflicts poison. My gawd. It just tears through enemies. I barely need to do anything.

So does Dead Cells not have an OT? I know it's still in Early Access, but it feels better than 99% of other finished titles. I'd actually consider making one up, if there's a demand for it.

Oh, and game-related: I found a turret that inflicts poison. My gawd. It just tears through enemies. I barely need to do anything.

I'd say yes. game deserves it.

Just bought it and damn. This game really feels good.

DrAg0nBoY

One question, because it could be just me but for the first boss, is it better to go through the sewers than the ramparts? Dunno why, but I have the feeling I get better gear when I go through the sewers than the ramparts.

Lanrutcon

One question, because it could be just me but for the first boss, is it better to go through the sewers than the ramparts? Dunno why, but I have the feeling I get better gear when I go through the sewers than the ramparts.

Yeah, same feeling here. Sewers are tougher but generates more loot related encounters.

In my opinion ramparts is faster if you go for speed run type of thing as you can just skip most of the stuff. Sewers is better if you intend to go slow and steady.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I was wondering about this a while ago and found this handy image that summarizes the connections between zones and the difficulty level of each area. The difficulty level determines the level of the equipment you find. The Old Sewers are level 4, i.e., one level above the ramparts. The Toxic Sewers are level 3, same as Ramparts. Going through both sewer stages (thoroughly) instead of the Promenade and the Ramparts should be better preparation for the boss. Of course, there's an even harder path you can take, but I've only tried it once or twice when I got really good stuff in the first area. Didn't make it to the boss.

http://www.en.magicgameworld.com/dead-cells-zone-progression-and-levels-guide/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't believe after like 8 patches since release the stutter is still there. It's maddening because I think the game is fantastic, but this constant stutter in a reflex-intensive game like this is just too frustrating.

WaterAstro

Not to talk down this game because it looks great, but I would put Rogue Legacy as the "did it first".

Now, if they said Metroidvania, since they have multiple weapons differing from class Castlevania games, that would make more sense. Maybe call it... Metroguevania. lol

Sarcasm

Did it first, but sucked horribly yes lol.

RL was neat at first but mannnn. I put that game down as fast as I could.

Bladelaw

I've been playing this game every chance I get. My current preferred build is Rapier, Whip, Magnet, Meat Grinder.

I've found two runes (Vine and Statue) and been to the following locations:
Start
Promenade of the Condemned
The Old Sewers
The Toxic Sewers
The Ramparts
Fog Fjord
The Prison
Ossuary
The Black Bridge

I'm perpetually jinxed into losing any blueprints I find at this point. Yesterday hurt the most. I had 72 cells, 2 blueprints and couldn't for the life of me get out of the prison. Eventually I got ganked by one of the large swordsman clouded by the fog maker assholes. That one really hurt.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not to talk down this game because it looks great, but I would put Rogue Legacy as the "did it first".

Now, if they said Metroidvania, since they have multiple weapons differing from class Castlevania games, that would make more sense. Maybe call it... Metroguevania. lol
I would say Dead Cells "did it better." The combat in this game is actually good.

Ilive1up

i really don't enjoy the shields in this game.

i've been running two offensive weapons mostly every time.

still haven't beat the first boss, about 4 hours played.

If I've never played one of these games, would this be the best one to give the genre a shot?
I'd go with Rogue Legacy on sale. Cheaper cost, easier difficulty curve, and it's a finished game.

I can't believe after like 8 patches since release the stutter is still there. It's maddening because I think the game is fantastic, but this constant stutter in a reflex-intensive game like this is just too frustrating.
What stutter?

Oh you pay to remove. In crypt of the necrodancer you pay with the special currency, not gold.
I'd be fine with this too actually.

They're pretty worthless right now, imo. Devs have said an upcoming patch will address/buff shields and rebalance some weapon damage.

Listonosh

Are you sure the shield isn't worth giving a shot, if you're having so much trouble with double DPS?

Also, to add to the whole first boss thing, guy melts against dual daggers.

LaneDS

There are definite similarities, but there are also enough differences where I don't feel like this game is encroaching on Rogue Legacy too much.

There's so much to love about this game, but the soundtrack is sure up there with the rest of it. If fact, I think the theme for Ossuary may be my favourite video game track in years. It reminds me of old-school Diablo a bit. I even find myself choosing to go there simply to listen to it again.

The OST -- what's currently available, at least -- is well worth a purchase, IMO. €3 is honestly a steal.

This game is incredible. The music is awesome, but doesn't match the atmosphere of the game to me.

Totally disagree, but to each their own!

I was wondering about this a while ago and found this handy image that summarizes the connections between zones and the difficulty level of each area. The difficulty level determines the level of the equipment you find. The Old Sewers are level 4, i.e., one level above the ramparts. The Toxic Sewers are level 3, same as Ramparts. Going through both sewer stages (thoroughly) instead of the Promenade and the Ramparts should be better preparation for the boss. Of course, there's an even harder path you can take, but I've only tried it once or twice when I got really good stuff in the first area. Didn't make it to the boss.

http://www.en.magicgameworld.com/dead-cells-zone-progression-and-levels-guide/

Oh wow, I guess I made it to the final boss on my hour-and-a-half run a couple days ago!

If I've never played one of these games, would this be the best one to give the genre a shot?

I guess it depends on which genre you're talking about; it's a combination of so many! :p

If you mean Rogue-likes/lites, sure! It's one of the better ones, IMO, and is more approachable than something like Spelunky.

If you mean Metroidvanias. . . not really. Again, it's fantastic, but a lot of what it takes from this particular genre -- animation, the maps, locked-off areas etc. -- are a tad superficial, IMO. I think either Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night would be better introductions.

Ozigizo

First boss becomes easy when you realise he doesn't break his cycle. It's always fire attack, then jump attack. I beat it with nothing but a level 1 grenade and starter gear.

I agree, they're pretty much just parry shields. Either they need to add new defensive style shields, or they need to rework the way shields are now so that they can actually be used to play defensively.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I agree, they're pretty much just parry shields. Either they need to add new defensive style shields, or they need to rework the way shields are now so that they can actually be used to play defensively.

Given how you can be juggled to death instantly in a crowd of enemies, I'm not sure how they could implement a shield for blocking rather than parrying without changing some other fundamentals of the combat. As designed now, the best defense is powerful offense. If you can kill enemies in a few hits, you rarely have to worry. The health regen mechanic also points to this being the designers' intent.

In my experience I usually feel pretty burned on some over-hyped/recommended indie games in which my interest fizzles rather quickly but I'm glad to say not with this one.

This game is pleasing artistically/visually with incredibly fluid gameplay at this stage in development and a unique progression system to boot. Love it and look forward to the updates.

Given how you can be juggled to death instantly in a crowd of enemies, I'm not sure how they could implement a shield for blocking rather than parrying without changing some other fundamentals of the combat. As designed now, the best defense is powerful offense. If you can kill enemies in a few hits, you rarely have to worry. The health regen mechanic also points to this being the designers' intent.
So they why even make shields at all if it's all about offense, their current implementation makes them pretty much useless after the first stage or two. There is no way you can viably use a shield during combat against most enemies past the first boss, and even before that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So they why even make shields at all if it's all about offense, their current implementation makes them pretty much useless after the first stage or two. There is no way you can viably use a shield during combat against most enemies past the first boss, and even before that.

I don't know. I've never used a shield other than trying it out for the first time. It's something they need to work on. The problem is that even with several health upgrades, later enemies can kill you in two or three hits, so why would you ever risk using a parry weapon when, usually, you'll have an offensive weapon that can take them down before they can attack you. Maybe the answer is for all shields to grant a passive defensive buff.

Still, I like this game precisely because you can be fast and aggressive once you understand the enemy types. The idea of playing more patiently doesn't appeal at all, even though generally I love parry mechanics. Maybe if a successful parry killed a bunch of enemies within a certain range, then it would be something I'd use more often.

Did I miss something? Chasm isn't even in Early Access afaik.
I had the same thought lol. Pretty sure the only thing that ever came out of that game was basically like a tech demo.

I don't know. I've never used a shield other than trying it out for the first time. It's something they need to work on. The problem is that even with several health upgrades, later enemies can kill you in two or three hits, so why would you ever risk using a parry weapon when, usually, you'll have an offensive weapon that can take them down before they can attack you. Maybe the answer is for all shields to grant a passive defensive buff.

Still, I like this game precisely because you can be fast and aggressive once you understand the enemy types. The idea of playing more patiently doesn't appeal at all, even though generally I love parry mechanics. Maybe if a successful parry killed a bunch of enemies within a certain range, then it would be something I'd use more often.
The main problem with parrying is that the enemy design just doesn't mesh well with having to pull off perfect timing. Way too many enemies attack at the same time, and a ton of them have ranged attacks, teleport, or do some other crazyness that is pretty much impossible to effectively time a parry against. It's not like the souls games where combat is slower paced and very methodical.

I'm not even saying that I want to use shields, but since they are in the game I think they should at least make them viable. I mean why not let us be able to turtle behind a shield and tank some hits, when we can already just stand on a ledge and just drop bombs, traps, critters, and whatever else on groups of enemies without even having to worry about being touched at all.

Top Bottom