• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Banned
A82OQkKh.jpg

25 people here at my store's midnight launch. Decent sized ruralish town.

At a Best Buy in Indy, totally packed... yet they had a ton of systems for non preorders. Everyone here got one, even people who showed up 5 minutes ago.

They had 4 extra Zelda limited editions (gone immediately), but zero master editions.

Alright I am about to pick up my Switch from GameStop...

Looking at my Nintendo account I have NNID credit, will this be what I use on the eShop, or the new Nintendo Account balance?

I need help! I cannot play games in handheld mode. The Switch is not detecting the joy-cons in handheld mode, when I load up games. I can, however, navigate the home screen menus and settings in handheld mode. If I detach the joy-cons, the games detect them immediately and load the games correctly.
Turn it off and turn it back on

Porcile

About to play some Dragon Quest Heroes 1 + 2. I've never played these games before because I just assumed they were garbage musou junk, but i'll give them a shot. Maybe some impressions if I can be bothered. I'll be playing in portable mode.

VRMN

I already tried that, but thanks. That is always my first course of action when technology fails.

Edit:

I docked it, then remove the joy-cons, then reconnected them and removed it from the dock. Works fine in handheld mode now.
That's fucking weird, but glad for you that it's working now.

So you can't fully turn off the console when using the joycon controllers?

Holding down the home button only allows you to put it in sleep mode.

In! My shit should be arriving at work later today. Then I somehow need to figure out how to concentrate until I'm done for the day and can head home. Somehow.

I was expecting the system to sit tighter into the dock. It's kinda loose in it. Hands cramped up a little bit while playing handheld for a while there too.

Synless

Sitting in Best Buy with Switch, Pro controller, and Zelda in hand... feels good.

The line for people who didn't preorder is massive though... they clearly are not all getting one, probably not even 25%.

GulAtiCa

My best buy has probably a 100 people. Been told has 70 available about for non pre orders. Luckily I have a pre order

I can't make it to the Best Buy all of a couple miles from my house because instead I'm sitting here holding a baby. lol.

I guess my Switch will wait until tomorrow morning.

Porcile

Well, as expected DQH 1+2 framerate is crappy and not improved at all from the last time they showed it. I guess they didn't have much time to fix it, but still, for the price it's not good form from S-E.

Moofers

Are we 100% positive our Wii U Pro Controllers don't work with the Switch? Anyone tried it out for shits and giggles?

ChuckNyce

I can't make it to the Best Buy all of a couple miles from my house because instead I'm sitting here holding a baby. lol.

I guess my Switch will wait until tomorrow morning.

Heh, my exact situation lol (he'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow, ironically his original expected due date was March 3rd).

Surfheart

I was expecting the system to sit tighter into the dock. It's kinda loose in it. Hands cramped up a little bit while playing handheld for a while there too.

I found swapping games while it is docked to be a bit of a hassle. I dont have very long fingernails and getting the door to the slot open wasn't straight forward. Meanwhile the console if rocking back and forth in the dock with my effort.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My Amazon Switch got delivered today so I'm sitting at Best Buy to get a copy of Zelda. They just handed out tickets to everyone in line, so I'm in the car waiting for them to open up so I can buy my damn game haha. Tomorrow is gonna suck at work but the hype got me.

Aspiring

Wow just got the family together to play some 1 2 switch. We all love kinect and Wii sports and Nintendo Land together so this was a must. Yeah.... such a terrible game. Kids got bored after 10 minutes. And the wife and I were like wtf is this. If you were on the fence dont even think about this game its dreadful.

Going to be returning tomorrow morning. Dreadful.

Those who have one, using it as a portable is going to be an issue I think. It's just huge, I wasn't expecting it that big and bulky.

PrimeX

Wow just got the family together to play some 1 2 switch. We all love kinect and Wii sports and Nintendo Land together so this was a must. Yeah.... such a terrible game. Kids got bored after 10 minutes. And the wife and I were like wtf is this. If you were on the fence dont even think about this game its dreadful.

Was I the only one expecting this? :)

ScribbleD

Every store in the area got 4 or less Switches, and my local Walmart got an email from Nintendo telling them not to sell them until 7 even though it's a 24 hour super center.

What the god damn fuck is this shit.

What store let's you return a game if you hate it? Is that a new policy because I wish I had that when I bought games ages ago
They only let me exchange it for another copy of said game lol

1,2 BOMBA

Aspiring

Was I the only one expecting this? :)

YOU SHOULD HAVE WARNED ME HAHA

Seriously though, the pose mini game doesn't register anything so you don't copy shit. The acting is so cringe worthy. Like people thought guitar hero was bad. Just wait.

The only decent game in the lot we played was ball count. And that was only because I liked the HD rumble. It really is cool.

Really though why was this not a pack in? I get they needed to bump the launch titles up because there is so few but it is a pack in game nothing more. Even as free you would play 2 minutes and be over it.

What store let's you return a game if you hate it? Is that a new policy because I wish I had that when I bought games ages ago
They only let me exchange it for another copy of said game lol

1,2 BOMBA

I'm in australia. EB games have 7 day return policy. 1,2 Bomba indeed. I dont joke. It is one of the most terrible games i have played in a long long time.

Little cartridge size comparison I made:

rVImKl4.jpg

Initial impressions of the system aren't so hot: charging cable is too short to fit in my setup nicely, left JoyCon sync issues are already showing up, it didn't want to connect to my internet for a while, and the day one update is taking a fair while. Sitting the Switch in the Dock isn't the nice solid clunk of throwing a Wii U Gamepad or 3DS into its charging cradle; it doesn't have charging contacts, so you're faffing about trying to plug a USB C connector in blind. JoyCons feel kind of rubbish, with an unpleasantly 'crunchy' sensation when you roll the sticks around and hollow, not especially great button feel. The idea of actually sitting down to play a game with one held sideways seems laughable; big swing and a miss on these.

But the Pro Controller feels excellent, and the OS is light and snappy. I'll get down to some Zelda later tonight.

Persona7

Banned
Every store in the area got 4 or less Switches, and my local Walmart got an email from Nintendo telling them not to sell them until 7 even though it's a 24 hour super center.

What the god damn fuck is this shit.

That doesn't sound right. Try asking for a customer service manager.

Soi-Fong

For people who are at stores, how is the stock on accessories? I'm not taking my Switch out of the house until I have a case and a screen protector on it so I'm hoping I can grab those after work tomorrow.

lt519

We did it fam, my old as stayed up til midnight. They even had enough to exchange my Gray preorder to Neon. Win :)

For people who are at stores, how is the stock on accessories? I'm not taking my Switch out of the house until I have a case and a screen protector on it so I'm hoping I can grab those after work tomorrow.

End of the line basically is when the last Zelda case/protector went and I snagged the last Pro Controller. But that was after about 50 people.

Nobody was buying 1,2 Switch, wtf was Nintendo thinking.

AdanVC

Yikes. Thanks for the impressions. Going to stay away of this game then. I think if this kind of impressions continues, Nintendo will end up cutting the price of the game way more than half, to the point of release some of the games individually on the eShop for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom