• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

Persona: You're a Wizard Edition?

Not too far off actually. But instead of the limited exploration, I wanted a more fully 3D world with secrets in the castle, interactivity, etc...

Plus the magic of being in a fully explorable Hogwarts that maybe you create with JK Rowling's aid would be amazing. If my favorite part of the Harry Potter park in Orlando was waiting in line for the harry potter castle ride, because the line you're going through castle, then something is up.

Nope. When I was a kid I always dreamed of making a massive open sandbox GTA style game but in a Blade Runner type setting. Hasn't happened yet but it looks like CD Projekt Red is gonna make it happen with Cyberpunk

Nope. I dreamed of a MMO Azure Dreams. And with the MMO genre on the decline, and Konami being Konami, and Azure Dreams being deader than dead, I doubt I'll ever get my dream game

RetroMG

Smash Brothers, Mario 64, and Breath of the Wild, so yeah.

Persona: You're a Wizard Edition?

I would totally play a Persona-esque game in Hogwarts. Set it outside of the actual events of Harry Potter, (maybe the years before or after the series,) and combine Hogwarts School life and wandering the castle at night fighting something dangerous with magic? Hell yes.

Yup, Titanfall 2.

Giant robots punching each other, smooth free-running with a grappling hook, ninja stars, all in a colorful sci-fi world.

Literally a twelve year old boys dream game.

Breath of the Wild x Animal Crossing has yet to be made. Not a big fan of RPGs and not a big fan of the tiny scope of Animal Crossing. Both games are fantastic but a mix between the two seems like something I would play for hundreds upon hundreds of hours over a long period of time.

Raijinken

Yup. Dissidia Arcade
dissidia-final-fantasy-wallpaper-1.jpg

Not yet. GTA V got so close, but an open world city on the scale of GTA V that allows me to enter every building, preform a variety of mundane tasks (golfing, bowling, go to the movies) and destroy and transform the environment however I want has yet to exist. Crackdown 3 might get close to the latter, but I need it all in one game still.

Yeah I guess it's one of the modern GTAs... ironically I don't play those. But yeah my dream game as a kid was one where you were in a city and could pretty much "do anything you wanted".

Not yet. GTA V got so close, but an open world city on the scale of GTA V that allows me to enter every building, preform a variety of mundane tasks (golfing, bowling, go to the movies) and destroy and transform the environment however I want has yet to exist. Crackdown 3 might get close to the latter, but I need it all in one game still.

Hmm, or maybe it's not there yet. I thought you could do most of these things in GTA V.

Never got that direct sequel to Super Mario RPG. Star Fox 2 got cancelled. X-Wing Alliance is close, but would have to get rid of the Ace Azzameen storyline.

Goldboy

Amusingly enough, my dream game as a kid was a sequel to Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. I doubt anyone remembers this game, but it was a theme park simulator where you built your own Jurassic Park. I was obsessed and was so sure a sequel would happen someday :(

-Ryn

Banned
Breath of the Wild is pretty much my dream game. Just needs co op/online multiplayer and a deeper lore.

Woorloog

Banned
No, what i hoped for hasn't been made, and it seems it is unlikely to ever happen. Even as kid i had rather specific tastes. (Not a matter of tech but right vision and execution.)

And what i want now... Well, i invite someone to top Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, a task that is borderline impossible (Civ: Beyond Earth got nowhere close).

Witcher 3 was one of those games I really wanted since I saw LOTR as a kid so yeah

Cyberpunk might be the next one too ever since I played the first Deus Ex and have loved blade runner for years

And what i want now... Well, i invite someone to top Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, a task that is borderline impossible (Civ: Beyond Earth got nowhere close).

Not even the recent Civs scratch that itch for me. And Brian Reynolds seems to be in the mobile business now so....

I want a Gundam game with 64 players but each side only has like 4 mobile suits each and the rest are ground troops with vehicles like battlefield but like the 08th ms team. No overpowered newtypes or gundams. Fights on earth, space colonies, and asteroids. Would be dope.

Briarios

The Star Wars X-Wing VR Mission on PSVR got really close ... it just wasn't a full game. But, it was so amazing, I'm dying for a full campaign. It's literally what I dreamed of playing as a kid.

VillageBC

For the most part.. perhaps they can be improved upon but I generally have played the games I've dreamed of as a child.

Everquest
iRacing
Rome Total War
Galactic Civ2
Civilization Series

Now with Vive/Rift/VR to improve upon those. If only I could afford it, but generation 2 hardware should be better and cheaper.

Giolon

Star Wars Galaxies with the Jump to Lightspeed expansion was pretty much it. Live in a Star Wars world, pilot an X-Wing.

Lord of the Rings Online and World of Warcraft are also it.

Woorloog

Banned
Not even the recent Civs scratch that itch for me. And Brian Reynolds seems to be in the mobile business now so....

As gameplay goes, newer Civs do have better AI (though it is still pretty dumb at times) but otherwise... They just feel lackluster somehow. (Strategic resources are OK addition though.)

Extensive terraforming, terrain height and depth, and moisture/wind are something that were ditched for no good reason. These things have happened and affect stuff on Earth, why not have them? (Eg Soviets fucked up Aral sea, i'd like to weaponize that effect in Civ games.)
Social engineering! Let me create my own style of government without getting limited to approximations of historical styles of ruling... With sufficient options, one could recreate historical styles, or create something new (and likely unworkable, but still).
And diplomacy! Feels like Alpha Centauri had the best UN-equivalent.
Hell, custom units would be fun to get back. What if my military strategy is built around an invention that later gets countered by others adopting similar style of warfare?

While i reckon good parts of ACs gameplay could be incorporated to games, topping its setting will be difficult. It is one of the finest works of science fiction ever created really.

Samikaze

Yep. Planetside 1 and 2.

I was a pretty unimaginative kid when it came to games, and always wanted something like a Halo MMOFPS. Planetside was that.

DayZ was actually another one. I wanted an open world zombie game where I could explore and play with other people.
Sure the community changed it into death match with zombies in the way, but those first months were glorious.

I still want a game where I'm trying to escape a city from Godzilla other Kaiju. Survival elements or not, that's something I always wanted.

While i reckon good parts of ACs gameplay could be incorporated to games, topping its setting will be difficult. It is one of the finest works of science fiction ever created really.

They really created an absolutely compelling hard sci-fi scenario. And the quotes! And the wonders! So much gold! Not to mention the game was a min-max dream.

WoolyNinja

It was soooo close with No Man's Sky. Using a menu to go to other solar systems is the only thing that killed it. Why wouldn't they have allowed me to just fly off in the direction of the system I wanted to head to at warp speed? Oh well, maybe in a patch sometime down the road.

Woorloog

Banned
They really created an absolutely compelling hard sci-fi scenario. And the quotes! And the wonders! So much gold! Not to mention the game was a min-max dream.

Indeed.

Honestly, they set the bar perhaps too high. Matching it even in literature will be difficult... Oddly, a video game may be actually better suited for varied view of a scifi setting than a book. Trying to stuff all the leaders as characters in one written story would be difficult, for each one deserves to be the protagonist.

willooi

Still waiting for the Die Hard game where you can access any level of the Nakatomi Plaza at any time via staircases, elevators or ventilation systems, and Hans Gruber's men, hostages, and the plot react accordingly to your actions. In other words, a non-linear version of the first film portion of Die Hard Trilogy.

Top Bottom