• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You people wanting an X-Wing VR game have got it ALL wrong.

A TIE Fighter VR game is what you should all be asking for.

RockmanBN

Not really. It got cancelled and was blamed that we were not involved enough when voting for content in the game. Sorry that I wanted to go into the game fresh with little to no spoilers.

Zaki2407

Yup. I loooved the Dragon Ball Z games back in the 16Bit era and dreamed the 3D version of the game with the speed and visuals on par with the anime. I think it's already been achieved.

GLAMr

Yeah, my dream game as a kid was a game where you run around with a dragon companion fi... Oh.

In all seriousness, probably Morrowind. The freedom and depth in that game was staggering, and it was before they started dumbing the series down for console (Oblivion and Skyrim are still great though).

Final Fantasy VII Remake be will my dream game once it is complete provided they don't fuck it up.

Another game that I dream of one day is time travelling full 3D action RPG with memorable characters and multiple endings like Chrono Trigger.

Yes it was made back in 2009. As a kid I always wanted a Batman game that took place in Arkham Asylum and Rocksteady fucking delivered big time.

I remember watching this trailer over and over and over again. https://youtu.be/TtxEpXWrrRI

Probably the last time I was genuinely "giddy" for a game. As a lifelong fan of the Batman and the batverse, this was a dream come true. And then it was good too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If Breath of the Wild had Pokemons.

i want a pokemon game that has a huge open world and instead of bokoblins, moblins, chuchus, or keese we get pokemon. battles would also take part in this open world instead of having a low quality background. i'd look at the latest digimon game and have the battles similar to that. that way the pokemon would also be able to run/fly around instead of just staying still.

https://youtu.be/D4iJpNWNxyo?t=232

every pokemon would be their real size. i mean look at this:

goldsteelix.jpg

it's not much bigger than the character but steelix is about 30ft in height.

also you'd need to put more thought into your team based on the environment. if you are fighting in a grassy area then you can't use magikarp. if you're in the water you can't use a pikachu. you could use a blastoise or a pidgeot.

gyms could be like shrines. well the gyms already have puzzles you need to figure out. so really wouldn't change much. once you get all your badges then the pokemon league should be totally different. all you do now is fight the elite 4 then champion. in the TV show you'd fight against other trainers until you were in the final. if you won that then you can fight the defending champion or they would just take part in the tournament and you'd need to knock them out. you could get them in your first round or the final so you'd need to plan according to opponent.

Maiar_m

No, I'm still waiting on a Cowboy Bebop-inspired action RPG. I've got the whole tutorial mission panned out where you're actually a bounty and end up being caught by the crew you'll thereafter be playing as - they catch you using the same techniques you've just learned but are simply better at them.

Regardless of my stupid game design ideas, it'd have to be space exploration, with dogfights, space station infiltrations, various planets and moons with bubble cities to explore, cover based shooter + arkham style hand to hand combat, tracking, deep side stories, character progression through experience and social links (different vendors will trust you with different intel and merchandise depending on what you've done with them and your alignment within larger schemes) and a tone that would be akin to what Cowboy Bebop did (fun fun fun oh wait why is this so sad fun fun wait no it's sad fun).

Storytelling-wise, I think Witcher 3 approached the format really well despite the main quest just being not very interesting in and of itself: make your character follow a main path but steer them hard into sidequests that are meaningful and can have unexpected ties to the main quest.

On a game mechanics level, bubble cities prevent the emptiness of a whole open-world planet to explore. It's still probably too tedious to explore if the scale is too big, not to mention technically tough to do as there must be multiple cities per planet, so I haven't figured out yet what my dream game would do with that.

The space exploration element is also something I haven't quite figured out how I would like to see it approached. Pure exploration games such as No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous don't give you a meaningful quest and characters to care about, you're in FOR the exploration to begin with. In an action RPG, getting lost in endless space isn't as rewarding. I think Mass Effect sort of had the halfway-right idea that space was the backdrop of the game, but you wouldn't be engaging in any actual exploration or combat in there. My dream game probably would require you to use large spaceships for autonomous deep space travel (planet to planet) but enable you to launch from these freighters with fighter ships when in near-orbital space (close to planets, moons or stations) where you could then explore and fight manually.

I've been thinking way too hard about all this for the past 15 years.

PrimeBeef

No but half of the bosses in Mega Man 3 were what my friend and I said would be cool for the next game after we beat 2. Our jaws kind if hit the floor when we played 3 2 years later.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I also liked TIE Fighter more but come on - everyone wants to destroy the Death Star in VR.

Speak for yourself! :)

Flying wingmates with Vader and sorting out those rebel insurgents is what I want.

spock

In concept and the feeling of playing at release, would have to be ultima online. Was crazy next gen for the time and a graphical mudd with that depth was mind blowing.

jogu

My dreamgame has city/buildings where you can enter every building and every room. Doesn't exist yet. Locked doors everywhere.

A Ghost Recon like Halo game with Blue team being the squad. This is a while back when Halo Reach was still yet to be released. With the current state of the fiction from Halo 4 onward, there's no real good way to make it work anymore IMHO

LordKano

Super fighting robots with huge swords and blue lightning dash, and you fight other huge robots and there's a super muscled bad guy who is, in fact, the president of the united states and he beats your ass before you transform into a super warrior and beat his ass.

It has been made. It's called Metal Gear Rising. It's the best game ever made.

Kill3r7

Not yet. NMS was in the right track but the emergent gameplay was not there. I think we will get there in a few years. Essentially a hybrid of NMS and ME would be it.

DSix

Banned
Soulsborne is pretty much what I dreamed of back when I played Castlevania 4.

BotW is the fantasy of an endless Hyrule Field realized. But it's not quite exact, it would've need to be in the TP artstyle to perfectly work on me.

Mokujin

BotW is basically my dream game after playing Ocarina of Time, an expansive Zelda game with outstanding exploration mixed with a strong Ghibli's Castle in the Sky / Nausicaa / Mononoke influence.

I'm 55 hours in and so shocked that it's so close to what I have dreamed Zelda should become.

Other games could potentially reach the same status in the future but only one is real, FF7R and the action battle system and episodic content may have already ruined it, the other candidates would be an impossible Xenogears Remake and a really doubtful next evolution of the Metroid Prime games.

orhnsnmz

I always imagined a game that would be something like a mixture between the gameplay of Counter-Strike and the scale of Battlefield.
It would be round-based with huge teams, where one team would have to infiltrate the object held by the other team and defuse a bomb or rescue a hostage, but with a very intense and strategic gameplay.

So Rainbow Six: Siege is pretty close I'd say!

Think the gameplay of Rainbow Six: Siege, but with larger maps and teams, and vehicles (helicopters and cars mostly).

Markitron

whynotboth.gif

Now your talking............

Seriously though, EA must be considering this game. it would be for VR what BotW was for the Switch. Almost everyone with a headset would buy it.

Spacejaws

I'd say close with the Baldur's Gate expansion, if they release Black Hound then yeah that's my dream.

Also not exactly a game I dreamed of but the Vita is pretty much my portable Final Fantasy 1 - 10 machine which I've always dreamed of. Throw in MGS 1 - 3 and the console was worth it just for that.

Yes with BotW and also Bloodborne.

Words of truth.

Zelda in particular is the adventure I always wanted. A massive world that really rewards exoploration, is incredibly interactive and is filled to the rim with that typical Ninentdo charm. It's magical.

Cyberpunk 2077 could be another one.

After that, all I need is a FROM Software take on the mechs versus kaiju concept or a sci-fi Soulsborne and a Naughty Dog space opera.

123rl

Uncharted 4 is pretty much my ideal game. The action is well-paced because the characters and story are the priority. When the action starts though, it is relentless for long periods of time. It really is one of my favourite games of all time, because it's exactly what I wanted from an adventure game

kyser73

No, but a number of games have achieved it in certain elements.

HZD - open, hunting, robot fauna, looks like a painting.

GTAV - even now still the best realised world environment in terms of making you feel like being a tourist is a viable gaming approach.

NMS & Elite: Dangerous. While NMS didn't deliver as I hoped, it did recapture a lot of the same feels I had with the original Elite, so I'm looking forward to E:D coming to PS4, and maybe PSVR...probably not, but you know...

ND, QD, DONTNOD and Supermassive for both their sense of cinema and literature, and also the exploration of the branching narrative. This is a divergent group for sure, but one I place together because in their own way each one is trying to marry up elements of other media and to tell great stories.

Rez & Tethered on PSVR - Rez because I'm in Tron. I'M IN TRON. IN IT. Tethered because I loved God sims back on the Amiga, and it demonstrated VR's suitability for the genre. Being in the world, picking up real animated critters and putting them down, being there with them for the joy & sadness...I'm really looking forward to whatever develops from the 3rd person platformer demo too...I'm imagining Horizon's world in VR...yeah, I could go for that...

So yeah, lots of games that have childhood dream stuff in them, but then I didn't have a 'dream game' as such...well, maybe an MMO war sim with accurate geography, physics and 000000s of players...or Eve without the admin and slowdown :)

Creepy

No,
I want a hyper realistic open world game with no limits.
Games like GTA don't satisfy, I always want to escalate things further than they allow.
I want ultraviolence, sexuality and perversion.

It'll never get made though, It would need a huge budget and wouldn't get rated.
So unless rockstar want to get their hands dirty with gta6, it would appear I'm out of luck.

gelf

The likes of Souls, Ninja Gaiden and Platinum action games in general are the closest because I wanted epic boss fights with gigantic enemies.

A lot of my dreams where crossovers that will never happen now though.

Edit: Another dream was a RPG where the battles where in the style of a one on one fighting game. Hasn't really happened, Shenmue is probably the closest thing.

As a kid who played Thrasher: Skate and Destroy to death, Skate 3 came pretty close to me. I wanted an open game where you could session whatever you wanted and make videos...and there it was. Rolling/Aggressive Inline were similarly up there as I used to do that in my early teens and never for a second thought they'd actually do a game based on it.

Final Fantasy XIV was a big one for me - not so much because of the mechanics/setting but the community. As a young teen with shitty countryside internet, I always wanted a game where I could work in a co-ordinated team with others and have those other people not be dickheads. Must have been about 28 when I first played on FFXIV and it's the first time I've ever played an MMO and felt a part of an actual co-operative community who didn't constantly hurl abuse at eachother. It was essentially the experience I'd wanted for over a decade.

A triple-A open world Samurai game, in the same vein as Red Dead (preferably less comedy and eccentricity).

However, a big focus on 1-2 strokes for a skill, as opposed to an arcadey life meter beat em' up.

Sadly, no.

Fudo Myo

Yeah, I would say Skyrim. I don't think it's THAT great a game, I prefer Witcher 3 and Souls games, but as I was playing it, I kept thinking, man, this is the game I dreamed of as a kid.

Crixus

Not yet, no game with real time, complex sailing simulation in a huge, free to roam open world with first person exploration on mysterious Caribbean islands to come even close to the thrill of adventure I felt reading RL Stevenson's Treasure Island.
This game would combine the best gameplay elements of Sid Meier's Pirates, AC Black Flag, Port Royale, Sea Dogs, with Black Sails (Starz) narrative and characters and Bethesda's sprawling fully explorable worlds full of content that can be tackled in any order the player wants, with deep economic simulation and very customizable player character.

keraj37

I am still dreaming of game with completely photo realistic graphics. Battlefront, The Division are the closest games so far.

But still, I dream of game that will have render quality of contemporary standalone rendering engines like vray, octan etc.

EDIT.
Also I dream of a game with real AI.

Svejk

If Star Wars Jedi Knight and No Man's Sky had a baby, that'd be close...

MGSV was really close too... just needed more flying vehicle options and super bases.

And Dues Ex: HR... pretty close, just needed more of it.. and MD still wasn't enough... Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will fully deliver dem feels in that aspect.

Horizon is pretty close although ironically I've been too consumed with Zelda to play it loads. Funnily enough as much as it isn't the best game by any standard, I always dreamed of a game like Dragonball: Xenoverse when I was a kid so that's pretty cool.

keraj37

If Star Wars Jedi Knight and No Man's Sky had a baby, that'd be close...

MGSV was really close too... just needed more flying vehicle options.

And Dues Ex: HR... pretty close, just needed more of it.. and MD still wasn't enough... Maybe Cyberpunk 2047 will fully deliver dem feels in that aspect.

Is it a typo, or am I missing something?

mindsale

A game where Mega Man fights Cloud and Sonic and Star fox, that's probably what I'd've asked for.

Edit: so yes, it's been made.

I spent a while dreaming of a Mercenary simulator, with procedurally generated scenarios and bases to invade, and you choose whether to go loud, silent, technical or brute force. Then managing your forces too.

MGSV came kinda close, but I'd like something with a destruction engine, and options for more urban and mountainous scenarios. Plus co-op. God they missed a trick with no co-op.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I used to constantly draw out Mario bros levels on notebook paper as a kid. I never thought about an actual game that let me do that, but Super Mario Maker is the game I didn't know I wanted.

R&R

Several dream games of mine have already been made, not in any particular order:

Wing Commander (and many of it's sequels)
TES: Morrowind
Battlefield 1942 (and it's expansions and especially, mods)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Red Dead Redemption
The Witcher 3 (and it's expansions)
and many more

and lately:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Top Bottom