• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

The Hermit

BotW go sooo close.

The gameplay is everything I wanted and was hinted in Skyward Sword, that worked more as a stepping stone instead of a full fledged game.

But I expected it to wrap or "fix" the overarching story of Zelda, that was given major focus since OoT.

They had the ruins of Temple of Time, Ranch, Spring of Power among other stuff, but they worked more as a nod instead of showing the story.

Modern Warfare 2 came out what, 8 years ago? That was it for me. For years I just wanted an addictive, silky smooth twitch shooter to play online and I got it. Wish there was a clan system that actually mattered like in socom though.

Raimond

I want Osmosis Jones: The Game. Basically inside a body, and you have viral invaders and the like. But not an indie game, I'm talking a grand scale AAA game. Online player could invade, stuff like that.

Watch some dev lurkers steal this idea. If you see this in the future... You heard here first!

Still waiting for the Pokemon game that I can travel to all regions on a single play-through. If Ash can do it why can't I?

I never cared much for a Pokemon MMO but ever since I was spoiled with Gold/Silver/Crystal's additional region (Kanto) post game, I expected the future releases to keep that tradition going. It didn't, and I'm still waiting.

Skoen

The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild would be my picks.

The former because on horseback, with headphones on after a joint it litteraly feels like I have set foot in a fully realized, immersive lived-in world. Which was something I always dreamt of as a kid.

Breath of the Wild comes on that list because it sparks the sense of adventure and triggers my "Inner childs mind" in a way that only running around in real fields and forests as a 5 year old otherwise could.

Sijil

I always dreamed about a 4x space game with space combat similar to Nexus the Jupiter Incident or Homeworld and planetary combat similar to Company of Heroes or Dawn of War. Yet to happen tho.

Breath of the Wild is so close I can't believe it actually exists. It's everything I wanted from the direction of both Zelda, and adventure games in general. Morrowind and Oblivion made me wish for a more ambitious and complex adventure game that didn't feel so artificial, compromised, and unpolished. It was very hard to watch Zelda drive itself in the complete opposite direction of what it originally aimed to be.

Still waiting for the Pokemon game that I can travel to all regions on a single play-through. If Ash can do it why can't I?

I agree but like, thats such a huge feat, especially now with the change to 3D im not sure it will ever happen :(

im still waiting on a game where the pokemon actually have any kind of personality or character development (even if its just the starter of choice), kind of like the anime. Amie/refresh mini game is about all we're going to get though.

Kyonashi

I designed a game as a kid which was basically a Sonic the Hedgehog open-world game but Sonic was a human man (yet still blue and spiky) who walks around a city with a real-time day/night cycle and you could type in conversations with a keyboard to NPCs who would understand and respond to you.

No, this game does not exist. I am glad it doesn't.

Oh and I called it 'Midnight Devil'. I would not have been a good game designer.

I agree but like, thats such a huge feat, especially now with the change to 3D im not sure it will ever happen :(

im still waiting on a game where the pokemon actually have any kind of personality or character development (even if its just the starter of choice), kind of like the anime. Amie/refresh mini game is about all we're going to get though.

I'm still waiting on the Pokemon game that treats me like I'm capable enough of playing the game on my own as much as RB/GS did.

I'd love a Pokemon that was more open, didn't have a linear path, had quests, and was built more like a normal RPG. Let me do the gyms and become champ if I want. Let me fight Team Rocket (or whatever) if I want, but maybe I don't care and can avoid them entirely. Let me hunt legendaries if I want. Let me explore and wander! Trust me to be smart enough to know that I should turn around if the Pokemon are too high level, but don't artificially block off my paths.

I designed a game as a kid which was basically a Sonic the Hedgehog open-world game but Sonic was a human man (yet still blue and spiky) who walks around a city with a real-time day/night cycle and you could type in conversations with a keyboard to NPCs who would understand and respond to you.

No, this game does not exist. I am glad it doesn't.

Oh and I called it 'Midnight Devil'. I would not have been a good game designer.

1379967639181848872.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mathieran

Banned
Pretty close. I was a Warcraft II fanatic and I dreamed of a huge RPG where I controlled one character and could explore Azeroth and go inside all the buildings, go in the water and air, and it would have a big story. World of Warcraft was pretty damn close, although I would have preferred single player.

I played it a lot for a couple years. Someday after they say they're done making expansions maybe I will go through and see everything after MoP, when I quit.

Bubba77

Yes. Oculus rift, hotas setup playing elite dangerous. It turned me into han solo. I was obsessed for 3 months straight.

Oberon

Banned
Kid Icarus Uprising is a game I wanted since I played Brawl. I wanted to play as Pit and have levels where he would fly and I got what I wanted. Thanks Sakurai and his team!

AerialAir

Banned
Persona. I'll always remember being 13 (kind-of a kid) and in school just walking, and thinking "man, I wish there was someone who would make a videogame version of this where cool things actually happen". Oh school drama, I don't miss you.

karnage10

Banned
I wanted a space game where i would command an empire. In that galaxy i wanted it to be a mix of other great sci- fi franchises. I wanted the empire to behave like star trek and star wars; i also wanted several invasions from extra galactic identities.
The game released last year with stellaris.

SaniOYOYOY

mm its hard, my dream game as a kid is just a good non fighter genre robot fight robot game but i realized how shallow that was

my dream game now is from soft space soul ,
and yoko taro ff

edit : ah and a fully online MMBN game with, you know, online interaction,custom navi (and it acts like siri). id buy switch in a heartbeat please nintendo. but please no bullshit OP P2W chip

when i first heard about Super Mario Bros. 3, when i was a kid, someone told me it was in 3D. i sat in the car trying to imagine a 3D Mario game. they eventually made that game with Super Mario 3D World.

apart from that, i had a few dreams that i was in a store with every videogame ever and they were all free and i could just pick one of the shelf and play it. this dream has been realized (but even better as things like palette swaps, save states, and rewinding were never part of my dream!) through emulators.

petran79

Banned
Yes. A Clever & Smart (Mortadello e Filemon) point and click adventure game. Dialogues are hilarious, design is identical to the comics, German voice acting is great. Unfortunately animation is far too static to make the game shine.

Morphis

Yup: Street Fighter (and other fighters) with online mode, so I can find players of similar (or better) skill instead of just beating my friends over and over again :p

Still waiting for that Blade Runner/Akira/Ghost in the Shell futuristic game where you can walk along rainy streets with neon lights flickering in the night time. Jump into a futuristic vehicle and either fly through towering sky scrappers or cycle extremely fast along a bust futuristic motorway. Take on missions as a cyborg vigilante/cop/mercenary in a densely populated high tech society that's also dirty and dangerous.

I've had samples of this from games like Deus Ex Human Revolution and Deus Ex Mankind Divided (mostly Golem City), Shadow Run Returns, Mass Effect 2 (Mostly on Omega), Transistor and one or two others, but none are on the level that I want.

We have Cyber Punk 2077 coming from CD Projekt Red, which if it turns out anywhere on the same scale and level of detail as the Witcher 3, then perhaps this will finally be the one.

I just want that ultimate Cyber Punk game basically.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth gave me the Digimon game I always wanted, and The Wonderful 101 gave me the Power Rangers game I always wanted. So two at least.

Mexen

Metroid Zero Mission is everything I wanted in a game as a child. I used make games 'on paper' and draw elaborate platforms and traps. When I played Zero Mission as an adult, I freaked out. It took me back to a time I made my games as a kid.

So far BotW has realized that expansive Hyrule with more than one active town and a couple NPCs that I always dreamed of. To think it took until 31 to get it, but it was worth it!

bosseye

I thought NMS might be it, but it fell a little short in the end.

If someone could remake Need For Speed (Saturn version) using BeamNG tech then that would be pretty close I reckon.

I always wanted an open world Spider-Man game based on the comics. We gotten close a few times, Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man were both great, but didn't really hit the mark. If Insomniac delivers it will be a game I've been waiting almost 20 years for, so I have high hopes for that one.

Almost. So damn close I can taste it. The Battlefront VR mission sat my ass in the cockpit of an X-Wing, and that's about the peak experience I've wanted from a game since I was a kid. Now, if I can actually get a full game...

cireza

My dream game being a kid would be pretty close to Zelda BotW and Dark Souls.

An open world to roam into, well hidden dungeons (find them by yourself by exploring or with clues) with level design like in Dark Souls. Do the game in whatever order you want. Not a ton of stuff to manage, only meaningful equipment and weapons (a bit like previous Zelda games). Great boss battles (like in Dark Souls 3). Good quality action oriented gameplay. Some platforming. Only a few persons to meet, eventually one or two towns but that's it.

As a kid i've wanted a game where you can drive and do whatever you want in an open live world. Then Grand theft auto series/shenmue came along.

Yu Furealdo

I've always wanted a really great Superman game. Yeah, there are superhero games out there (some where you can fly), but a real Superman one would be so awesome.

The closest was Shadow of Apokolips

Top Bottom