• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

LiK

Finally got the doomfist achievement for killing someone with max damage seismic slam. Took awhile but I got a kill from the spaceship on Gibraltar.

Yea, I tried it there but the enemy team kept sniping me making it hard. I don't think I'll ever get any DF trophies.

xCobalt

Yea, I tried it there but the enemy team kept sniping me making it hard. I don't think I'll ever get any DF trophies.

I got it right as the enemy team brought the payload to the gate. As it was opening, they over extended and I got a kill. Overall, I had more luck getting high damage from height rather than stalling on some weird geometry.

Talonz

You know whats annoying? Every fucking Zenyatta thinking their Annie FUCKING Oakley and focus so hard on burst insta-kills and not healing. FUCK OFF YOU SUPPORT BOT

I weave mine in, but if I only the healer, some of my teammates are going to die because I can't heal an entire team. It just isn't possible unless it's a faceroll match up.

Blues1990

This is all dependent on how the missile barrage works, what the range is, how much damage it does, what it's CD is, etc.

This can either shuffle D.Va along into uselessness or make her an utter monster.

I tend to use DM in small bursts anyway unless I'm just in the middle of a big team fight, so that itself isn't bad for me, except for the fact that I will no longer be able to shut down any long lasting ults, like Soldier's Tactical Visor. That part makes me a sad bunny.

This is the update I'm most excited to see. I really wish I had PC overwatch so I could try it out on PTR when it comes out. But as of now, there's nothing to feel because we don't know anything about this new ability.

When the patch goes live, I'll try to remember to give you full impressions on the change. And I agree, unless if they adjust D.Va's new Defense Matrix to compensate for it's reduced time usage, it will definitely be difficult to stop most ultimate abilities. Pharah's especially will be a pain.

And I personally think it would've made more sense to tweak the cooldown between uses or recharge speed.

I stopped playing this game as a result. Yeah, it's fair to say I'm not happy that one of my favorite games is now unenjoyable for me.

I agree with you re: what he should be able to kill. Though it would be nice to be able to barely kill Mei with proper positioning.

Well, you can always grab someone and drag them over a cliff. :p

But I agree, and it's a reason why players feel indifferent towards D.Va's upcoming changes, as most of them want simple number adjustments. (I'm in a similar boat with this regard.)

But as someone who plays Mei, I do hope she will get some changes down the road. Her Ice Wall will still toss me or a teammate out of the games boundaries at random, which had recently happened to a Winston player during the Contenders stream. I would also love if her Ice Block and/or Ice Wall could produce a freezing aura, so that if enemy players are near, they will slowdown and receive DOT.

You can't imagine the number of times when the enemy team will surround me and will dog pile me into submission, especially when I'm with my team.

Veelk

Banned
When the patch goes live, I'll try to remember to give you full impressions on the change. And I agree, unless if they adjust D.Va's new Defense Matrix to compensate for it's reduced time usage, it will definitely be difficult to stop most ultimate abilities. Pharah's especially will be a pain.

And I personally think it would've made more sense to tweak the cooldown between uses or recharge speed.

Thanks. I'm willing to give this whole thing a real shot. As long as the missile salvo isn't stupidly powerful or stupidly weak, we might get something really cool out of it.

Other than Roadhog, I have to hand it to Blizzard on a lot of these balance changes lately. Junkrat, Orisa, Widow are all good changes, and this D.Va change sounds good too.

The only major change demanded that they are ignoring is Mercy, and we know they're working on her.

But as someone who plays Mei, I do hope she will get some changes down the road. Her Ice Wall will still toss me or a teammate out of the games boundaries at random, which had recently happened to a Winston player during the Contenders stream. I would also love if her Ice Block and/or Ice Wall could produce a freezing aura, so that if enemy players are near, they will slowdown and receive DOT.

You can't imagine the number of times when the enemy team will surround me and will dog pile me into submission, especially when I'm with my team.

I agree that Mei should get something. I don't know what, and I'm not sure having every ability of hers freeze people is the right call (but I've been wrong about seemingly overpowered changes before), but I would like to see her get something.

I had a great game of Lucio 3v3 tonight. Both teams were evenly matched (or, equally terrible if you prefer), and we spent the full length of the match rushing back and forth trying to score while preventing the other team from scoring. We went into overtime and the back and forth continued, tension ramping up until finally a member of our team scored the one and only goal. Final score of 1-0, very tense, very exciting.

During the whole deathball phase everyone was fine with Reinhardt 24/7 because supposedly no one else could properly tank, and now it's about getting tank abilities nerfed, heh.

I'm happy if this adds some more dimension to D.Va because my god for such a lovable character she is such a bore to play, and it's ironic too given her character.

R0ckman

Bought one 20 dollar box bundle, but came out with most of the new summer costumes by just playing a couple of hours a day and leveling up, just missing reapers which I don't particularly care about.

I have never won a match of Lucioball outside of when I was doing placement matches.

Am somehow ranked 2500 Gold. I've lost at least 8 straight matches.

No idea how this is possible lol

Just played a comp game with some nice kids, one of them was on a new smurf account, just finished placements and he said he was gaining 100SR per win.

He placed at 2100, won 2 games and was at 2295. I kinda figured he was bullshiting but sure enough we won and his SR went from 2295 to 2398.

Is that normal?

Bought one 20 dollar box bundle, but came out with most of the new summer costumes by just playing a couple of hours a day and leveling up, just missing reapers which I don't particularly care about.

I've now opened 34 event boxes and have 0 event skins.

I'm lying, I have tracers last year event skin.

Blues1990

Thanks. I'm willing to give this whole thing a real shot. As long as the missile salvo isn't stupidly powerful or stupidly weak, we might get something really cool out of it.

Other than Roadhog, I have to hand it to Blizzard on a lot of these balance changes lately. Junkrat, Orisa, Widow are all good changes, and this D.Va change sounds good too.

The only major change demanded that they are ignoring is Mercy, and we know they're working on her.

No problem. I did a similar thing with another player who only had the PS4 version of the game.

And while I am willing to give D.Va's changes a fair shot, I think a lot of players currently have a sense of unease
/dread
with the development teams approach to balancing the game. Most players (specifically those who are either top GM/500 ranked or play for competitive teams) that have a lot of hours on a hero simply want number adjustments or small QOL changes to their kit. Just small things that can make them do their job efficiently and be more consistent.

I still remember when they nerfed the reset time on Soldier: 76's weapon spread and decreased the time it takes for his bullets to spread out, and players wanted some compensation for this change (since you know their history of never reverting changes). Instead, they went and yo-yo'd his kit and damage output to ridiculous extremes, when all they needed to do was revert it and call it a day.

I do agree that Junkrat and Widowmaker's changes are great (though they should've been done much sooner than later), and I'm looking forward to use Orisa more as a solid alternative to Reinhardt. The rework they did for Lucio was great, as I hated when they nerfed his healing output and made him into (for a lack of better words) a glorified cab boy.

I agree that Mei should get something. I don't know what, and I'm not sure having every ability of hers freeze people is the right call (but I've been wrong about seemingly overpowered changes before), but I would like to see her get something.

I was just thinking of not only mechanics that complement her ability for area denial, but along with it making sense for Mei's whole ice theme. Her kit is otherwise fine. She just needs minor tweaks to make her playstyle more fluid, along with her excelling at her job with area denial. I really liked the ideas that were presented in this thread on the official forums.

Blues1990

I've only gotten the new McCree skin. Feel like I've gotten all the icons and sprays lol. But I haven't really been playing much since the event started.

My luck has been weird, while I got all the legendary items through my free loot boxes, I didn't get any of the other new stuff and I had to buy most of it.

Nicolada

So far I've gotten Mercy, McCree, and Junkrat. I'm happy with those, but I wouldn't mind grabbing 76 and Sombre too. That's by far her best skin.

Also just had a group that did a great last second turnaround win and we grouped together and did it again. Love when that stuff happens.

I've only gotten the new McCree skin. Feel like I've gotten all the icons and sprays lol. But I haven't really been playing much since the event started.

It's crazy as hell. I have to be close to all the icons and sprays, just can't get no skins to drop.

Past events have been the opposite for me, I usually get most of the skins and barely any of the other stuff.

I just bought 3 of last year's legendary skins in hopes of when I do pop one, it will be new.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So far I've only gotten 2 skins from last year and 2 nonevent skins.

I guess I'll get what I want next year.

Finally got last year's D.Va event skin that I wanted so bad. Yay! Shame there's been far better ones since.

I just received a message on Xbox saying "nice kB/m skills noob" because I got a couple of kills with Widow during a Mystery Heroes victory. If only they could have seen the majority of my shots...

Lulz, first comp game of the nite a diamond who fell down to 2100sr. Playing Doomfist with 1.14 elims per life.

We still are winning, up 2-0 on oasis. Other team switches to bastion + Orisa and reverse sweeps up.

Me solo tank and a solo heal mercy.

The closer I get to plat the more braindead my teammates become this season.

2nd game, someone on my team throwing down to bronze so he can get easy wins next season to farm cp.

I mean, come the fuck on this shit is getting ridiculous.

Now the trifecta, a quitter 2 minutes into a KotH. Lulz, ok overwatch I'll stop playin tonite. 2393 to 2319 with absolutely zero chance of winning.

Double edit: Sty has a run thru of junkertown. High ground for days, looks good.

Anne

During the whole deathball phase everyone was fine with Reinhardt 24/7 because supposedly no one else could properly tank, and now it's about getting tank abilities nerfed, heh.

That's a pretty disingenuous argument. Defense Matrix as an "infinite" damage and ultimate soak is a much different kind of ability than what Reinhardt ever did.

If anybody thinks DM is just "a tanking ability" like anything else in the game, that's the wrong way to look at it. It does way more than just mitigate damage at a much lower cost than barriers do. It's a really out of line ability that needs to be a lot more costly and less encompassing for what it actually does.

Banzai

These days I log in once a day, play a round or two of Mystery Heroes for the boxes and then log off without even touching QP, let alone Ranked.
What happened, Overwatch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TZlyimQ.jpg
this was an interesting match yet I shouldn't really be shocked cause the season is ending,
I'm mid diamond

That was a very weak map tour... why even give this guy exclusivity.

Anyway the map looks pretty cool at least, seems to have a lot of higher ground.

Dude, it took him several minutes to figure out he spawned as a defender lulz.

Yeah I thought the map looked great as well.

Edit: Gameplay video up now.

That's a pretty disingenuous argument. Defense Matrix as an "infinite" damage and ultimate soak is a much different kind of ability than what Reinhardt ever did.

If anybody thinks DM is just "a tanking ability" like anything else in the game, that's the wrong way to look at it. It does way more than just mitigate damage at a much lower cost than barriers do. It's a really out of line ability that needs to be a lot more costly and less encompassing for what it actually does.
To look at it as an "infinite" damage barrier would be seeing Reinhardt's as an "infinite" time one. Though I'm not refuting any of this, I just find it interesting in lieu of it being like this for a good while but not something deemed problematic until relatively recently. The game changed around her.

It's a good thing though, I want her to be more fun as both a character to play and as one to fight against, and DM being that long was not fun.

Anne

To look at it as an "infinite" damage barrier would be seeing Reinhardt's as an "infinite" time one. Though I'm not refuting any of this, I just find it interesting in lieu of it being like this for a good while but not something deemed problematic until relatively recently. The game changed around her.

That's not true really. DM has been regarded as a problem since it was changed from a CD > meter based. It has been complained about basically ever since, but it didn't get the true ire because it didn't work against Roadhog, Zarya (ult), Tracer, etc. so people just kinda dealt with it. D.Va herself was more problematic than DM as a whole during that period of time as well.

Once they changed the rules on travel distance for DM, D.Va's pickrate skyrocketed and people were actually really upset with it. A lot of people forget that buff ever happened for some reason, but it is an absolutely massive change that made DM go from super obnoxious to actually being something that can't really be countered well. That was the "recent" change where the DM hat event into overdrive, and for a good a reason.

That's not true really. DM has been regarded as a problem since it was changed from a CD > meter based. It has been complained about basically ever since, but it didn't get the true ire because it didn't work against Roadhog, Zarya (ult), Tracer, etc. so people just kinda dealt with it. D.Va herself was more problematic than DM as a whole during that period of time as well.

Once they changed the rules on travel distance for DM, D.Va's pickrate skyrocketed and people were actually really upset with it. A lot of people forget that buff ever happened for some reason, but it is an absolutely massive change that made DM go from super obnoxious to actually being something that can't really be countered well. That was the "recent" change where the DM hat event into overdrive, and for a good a reason.
Everything gets complained about, but it's the true ire you refer to that i'm talking about a couple months after that buff and during that blending period where her use was out of triple tank and into dive comp.

MCD

I main D.VA and honestly DM isn't a problem. Just fuck me till I'm outta my Meka. Not hard to hold your ult till then?

How am I supposed to protect oir support now that DM is basically useless thanks to Nerfzzard?

And oh yeah. D.VA is still a big target for Critical hits. Might as well stay still and let Tracer fuck me up now.

Anne

Everything gets complained about, but it's the true ire you refer to that i'm talking about a couple months after that buff and during that blending period where her use was out of triple tank and into dive comp.

I mean, honestly, it took a bit of time for people to start messing with it during that weird period where there were a lot more options on the table. Part of that got sidelined too by Winston getting buffed pretty soon after. Once it was clear what was up with her though, it's been nonstop ever since. Most people saw that change and thought it was just a problem for Zarya, it took a bit for the full implications of that shit to come around.

It also doesn't help that people had the derpiest D.Va sledgehammer for several months and then had to restrat her a bit.

I main D.VA and honestly DM isn't a problem. Just fuck me till I'm outta my Meka. Not hard to hold your ult till then?

How am I supposed to protect oir support now that DM is basically useless thanks to Nerfzzard?

And oh yeah. D.VA is still a big target for Critical hits. Might as well stay still and let Tracer fuck me up now.

If you can't position and manage DM in a way that allows you to live with the 4s up time, you are not a good D.Va player at all. 2s DM is still really strong actually anyways, just nowhere near as stupid to use.

Aba is a high GM D.Va player on GAF, he'll tell you the same thing.

MCD

I never said I can't manage DM or what not. The point of her DM is to be a tank but Blizzard wants her full DPS. Shoot in the air and missles away! Yaaaaay.

I conserve my DM as much as possible to protect our support from enemy ULT or flankers. Now the best I could do is suck half of thier ULT and that's if I even have it on full.

Tl:dr nerf her DM. Heck remove it if you want I don't mind. But give her more tanky stuff. Shield, armor, more health whatever. Making her more aggressive with her large critical box and less DM is wack.

GG Blizzard.

Anne

I think part of the disconnect with my opinion on DM is my perspective on damage mitigation in OW as is. Damage mitigation in Overwatch has been overtuned in general for a long time, so that at higher levels the game becomes this game of chicken with who can manage to outlast longer rather than make interesting plays happen.

A lot of high skill players tend to view things like Defense Matrix like that. It's 4s of "nothing you do matters" really, and just adds on more time spent trying to chip down resources. They'd instead like to spend that time making more interesting things than draining that resource by just throwing shit at it.

I get at lower levels this is less of an issue because people don't play the game with a perspective of mitigation first, but it's a very real issue when you approach it from that direction. It kinda sucks because if you have this perspective of "tanks are supposed to mitigate all this damage" then you're used to a pretty broken system of Overwatch.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ever since the event started, i got 5 legendaries without buying a single box.

2 of them were non-event legendaries, and another was coins.

Why. I never had so many legendaries in just 2 weeks, especially during an event, and it turned out only 2/5 were actually event skins.

Fuck you RNG!

Pooya

Nerfing DM seems necessary but when you do that, with her gigantic crit box, you won't be in your mech long enough to use your shiny new abilities. It's similar to roadhog problem.

They need to reduce her crit box with those changes otherwise it seems too weak to matter. They did that for both Winston and Roadhog, I expect it to happen eventually.

LiK

Speaking of DVa, I think I'll stick with maining her again in Comp for the rest of the season. Whenever I duo queued or solo q recently, been doing well with her. Even tho we lost in the stack last night, I was surviving in both forms for a long time on point (beat my Objective Time record with her last night). As long as I have healing and our DPS ain't terrible, it's not tough to win with her. Randos seem to have problems dealing with an aggressive DVa up their ass. Hopefully I have better luck with stacks this week or I'll just try to duo and solo only again.

Edit: Finally saw the new Junkertown map. Not a fan of the overall look but I understand why they had to make it look like shit on purpose. Seems like the wide open areas will make it a pain against good snipers.

Top Bottom