• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds studio wants to add cross-play between PC and Xbox One

Two Words

Aim assist isn't really as viable when it comes to projectile-based shooters. A lot of the combat in PUBG takes place at a range where you have to lead shots and handle bullet drop. Aim assist that does that doesn't seem feasible since the target could be moving any direction at any time and you wouldn't want the aim-assist to keep you glued to the actual model in that case. It seems like it would just get in the way.

GodofWine

Nice idea, but I don't see how Xbox players wouldn't be completely dominated in this scenario.

I play PUBG (not implying you don't), and I can see it working OK. This is not a 'gun play centered game', its more positioning and strategy. TTK is also pretty high making most gun fights more about movement than aim. No need for aim assist here, probably better without it.

In those situations where you can settle down, zoom in, and head shot someone, a controller will work just as well. Most gun battles are at range in this..and many times the person you are shooting at doesn't have a clue they are in your cross hairs / they don't see you / have no clue where they are getting hit from (the game needs some subtle directional indicators for sound at least, IRL you'd hear and know where it was coming from but thats another point for another day)

Also, coming from a background of consoles more than PC, there are definitley some gun fights I would have won if i was using a CONTROLLER instead of KBM. My fingers still betray me sometimes.

There arent many inputs either, inventory can be done with a stick and a fast cursor or short cuts (just like right click does).

Now, if it was something like CSGO or OW, then I'd say good luck to controller users.

Rhoc

They did everything right so far so I hope they know what they are doing. This is not a game like Rocket League where it's no different on what you play. But I feel like the aim assist can lead to some bullshit moments. Also I bet you get two playerbases going against eachother when they feel like the game helps one platform more.
I'm all in for cross-platform but for some games it's not the best idea. Of course they can do it perfectly and everyone is pleased then I'm ready to eat a crow.

Natiko

Banned
I get the concern of KBM compared to a controller, but just build in the option to opt out as a console player to soothe the fears of that crowd. I'll take the higher player pool any day.

Mixing controller and keyboard+mouse players is not a big deal at all. I use a controller when playing COD on pc and I do just fine against keyboard+mouse players.

komaruR

Might be cool if they have a kb/m enable for console with aim assist for controller turned off on cross play servers option. This will give player disclaimer that, hey you want to play with pc folks the aim assist is turned off but you can use kb/m.
And for pc side they have a warning that they can choose to play with console with aim assist on controller turned off servers or not.
So to please both community.

Might be cool if they have a kb/m enable for console with aim assist for controller turned off on cross play servers option. This will give player disclaimer that, hey you want to play with pc folks the aim assist is turned off but you can use kb/m.
And for pc side they have a warning that they can choose to play with console with aim assist on controller turned off servers or not.
So to please both community.

That would potentially be a fix, however, at some point the added player population doesn't make up for the splintered Matchmaking.

That's a bad idea.

I'm all for PC-console crossplay, but where shooters are concerned, there needs to be a system in place like GTA V's - where mouse and keyboard users aren't matched against controller users, except on an opt-in basis for controller users.

Except.... nobody plays Battlegrounds with a controller on PC. And very few people will.

so you'll have controller users on console getting fucking GANKED against KB/M users, because KB/M makes a huge ass difference with this kind of game.

Mixing controller and keyboard+mouse players is not a big deal at all. I use a controller when playing COD on pc and I do just fine against keyboard+mouse players.

BG isn't CoD, lol. CoD is a hitscan shooter with loads of aim assist.

So does every keyboard and mouse using PC player, I'm sure they would love feasting on controllers...

I don't know how you balance it, unless you allow keyboard and mouse controls on Xbox, and game matches for people only using one type of control...

I don't think auto aim or aim assist is a solution

Options for what? It's not the same as a fighting game. KB+M players would destroy pad players long range. What is the upside for console players?

have an option for the console players to turn on/off crossplay, or have a separate playlist where crossplay is enabled, it's really not an issue and there's no negative side.

I would love to use controller on PC but only if other people in the playlist are also using controller

Controller only lobbies would be great. I'd be playing the game right now with a controller if the current support wasn't ass.

I really just wanna play with my friends without having to double dip on Xbox.

Gears 4 had crossplay right? How'd that turn out? I thought I heard about kb/m vs controller community events or was that a different game?

I play Gears on PC with the community play list, and honestly I sometimes get wrecked by controller players (and I'm good in gears, not as good as I use to be but still good).

Gren

I play on PC and fully embrace cross-play play. Having said that, I find it interesting (but not surprising) that in all this recent hubub over it, no one's hauling out the nonsensical point of "I'm happy to pay for PSN/XBL because it means I don't have to deal with so many cheaters."

Dlacy13g

I think as long as they allow console players to toggle the option to play against a M/KB player then it should be totally fine.

forms

You know that "but why" gif? You know which one I am talking about - yeah, that one.

Imagine that picture right about here.

DOWN

Banned
As long as you can toggle it off. Nobody wants this in a shooter tbh. Keyboard and Mouse against controllers is awful.

cackhyena

have an option for the console players to turn on/off crossplay, or have a separate playlist where crossplay is enabled, it's really not an issue and there's no negative side.

I would love to use controller on PC but only if other people in the playlist are also using controller

But for the reasons I listed, who would want to ever tick that to "on" on console, knowing what you're up against? I just can't see it being meaningful, I dunno.

But for the reasons I listed, who would want to ever tick that to "on" on console, knowing what you're up against? I just can't see it being meaningful, I dunno.

people that are curious or want a challenge? form a squad with their friends on PC? or a playlist that's controller-only from PC

besides i really don't think I would "destroy" good controller users when i use kb/m

shanafan

Having played quite a bit of PUBG. This sounds like a really bad idea.

This is not a normal console shooter. Console players will either get destroyed, or they will have to rebalance the whole game to cater to them.

I play PUBG with a controller, and do just fine. I always thought KB+M precise controls are overrated, but that's just me.

Dlacy13g

It seems to me that this game is as much about shooting as it is about maneuvering to get the drop on another player. How much does precision shooting really play a major role in an outcome more often than not?

It seems to me that this game is as much about shooting as it is about maneuvering to get the drop on another player. How much does precision shooting really play a major role in an outcome more often than not?

A whole fucking lot. So much so that some of the appraisals in this thread of Battleground's combat leave me wondering whether or not I've been playing the same game as some of these people.

Battlegrounds isn't just about positioning and maneuvering (although I won't understate their importance)
There are times where you want to shoot someone at a moment's notice, and times where you have to shoot someone at a moment's notice. They could be 300m away or 10m in front of you. And you have to be able to put a bead on their face and kill them dead ASAP or you're gonna die. This means making do with the weapon you have at a moments notice, while compensating for things like distance, your equipped sight, recoil, etc. during incredibly tense situations that can begin and end in five seconds flat. This game is generally more involved and demands more precision than even a somewhat comparable console-oriented shooter like Battlefield, although controller platforms are going to kind of settle into their own balance once this game drops.
As someone who's got well over a dozen #2s under his belt and a half a dozen Chicken Dinners, I can vouch from experience just how important precision shooting is. It can trump solid positioning handily during the end-game especially.

Maximus P

As someone that will be playing this solely on xbox one, I welcome my PC brothers and sisters. I will hopefully team up with one or two PC players to help hide me from the inevitable woop assing that's coming my way.

Swarna

Everyone here is so happy yet the subreddit is hoping they don't implement it.

The main complaint is that raw mouse aim vs. controller w/ aim assist will always be imbalanced one way or the other depending on exactly how much aim assist there is.

I don't agree with that at all outside of ludricous amounts. Aim assist only increases the skill floor. Blops 3 has been cited but controller users have never been an actual issue in that game and you'll only see salty M+KB users that died to that making any noise about it. What really was dominant was people exploiting the aim assist while using a mouse for a time before it was patched out. Additionally, higher sens mouse users will track worse than aim-assisted controllers on distant targets but high sens is garbage, anyways.

Also, aim assist is going to be relatively less effective in PUBG with all the shot leading required. Possibly even somewhat annoying.

cackhyena

I've been picked off in the game so many times, I've lost count. I don't know the ratio, but I can see console player's feeling the sting of that endlessly. I'm not against crossplay, but shooters...I just don't know how the -playing field is ever considered level.

GodofWine

No thanks. Not in shooters.

I don't even feel like this is a 'SHOOTER', yes, shooting is the mode of killing, but its not BF or COD, or CSGO, or anything close to those in terms of how the typical conflict goes. This is like a tactical survial combat sim, its not crazy to say you can finish in the top 10, 10 times in row, with no kills. Killing only becomes a necessary thing in the final couple of circles, and usually its only at that point close combat occurs.

And even then, usually the advantage is really just based on who gets lucky with the circles. If someone has a gaming mouse and keyboard but is forced to move, someone using a guitar hero guitar probably would have the advantage.

And IF there is a clear advantage to KBM, then they should give people the ability to opt out.

I just don't think its a big deal...worst case is its hard on controllers, and I get more easy kills.

(I also still REALLY don't see how this runs on a jaguar CPU)

And even then, usually the advantage is really just based on who gets lucky with the circles. If someone has a gaming mouse and keyboard but is forced to move, someone using a guitar hero guitar probably would have the advantage.

Because of all of the variables involved, including the precision of a mouse, even the most lop-sided PUBG encounters can have a degree of Halo-esque give-and-take to them. There's no counting someone out until they're dead, in this game.

Keyboard and Mouse vs Controller is not the real advantage gap in this game. It's Headphones vs Speakers.

Playing this game on a surround sound system that's dialed the fuck up is probably better than playing with loud headphones I'd imagine

you'd probably deafen your whole neighborhood doing that shit but eh

watership

Playing this game on a surround sound system that's dialed the fuck up is probably better than playing with loud headphones I'd imagine

you'd probably deafen your whole neighborhood doing that shit but eh

That might be true, but I know very very very few people that have 5.1 for this game, and those that do, you need to crank it for subtle noises.

Par Score

I play PUBG with a controller, and do just fine. I always thought KB+M precise controls are overrated, but that's just me.

PUBG has skill based matchmaking.

You "do just fine".

Actually, this means Crossplay would work fine too. Eventually all the Xbox players and PC players would just be filtered apart naturally.

Yeah... No. You haven't played this game long enough if you think winning is based on RNG.

Top Bottom