• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Characters who don't respond realistically to their situation (early RE7 spoilers)

Here it is:

Initial Infection
The mold ingests nutrients from the subject's body to propagate itself, and slowly takes over cells within the body.

As a side effect of this, the infected subject gains remarkable regenerative abilities.

During experiments, we removed arms and legs from test subjects and found that they were able to coapt the amputated limbs in a matter of minutes.

RE7 is really weird because out of everything that happens in the game he freaks out the most over bugs crawling on the wall.

I would too tbh.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this was weird. One of the few things that really bothered me in P5.

Ehh the entire cast bothered me honestly. P3, and even P4, the characters all took their powers and situations pretty seriously. Even Stupei and Yosuke were smart enough most of the time to keep shit on the DL. Meanwhile it's like the entire Phantom Thieves group is happy to shout about shit non-stop in all sorts of public places when they know they are explicitly doing illegal shit while actively making the public aware of their actions in order to garner support placing even more scrutiny on them. Which leads to several people learning who they really are.

Their cavalier nature about pretty much everything involving the stealing of hearts and what was going on just felt really dumb and was pretty annoying after a while.

Hopeford

This is The Evil Within in a nutshell.

Seb don't care

I think it worked with Evil Within to be honest. Sebastian was a pretty broken person to start with, who was already a stone faced lunatic. Couple that with the game taking place inside someone's dream and him not reacting to things seems pretty okay. Plus it added to the games' atmosphere of everything being just slightly uncanny as opposed to flat out horrifying, which I think worked out.

Like nothing scared me in the game as much as
the time when Jonathan tries to kill himself, Sebastian stops him, and neither of them show much emotion about it.
Because that shit looked so detached from reality it really sold me on the whole dream thing.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Thanks for the explanations guys. I clearly missed some of this stuff but now I have two more questions.

When did Ethan get
infected
? Was it the dinner at the beginning where they force him to eat?

Secondly, if
the infected see the grandma as the little girl, why does Ethan see her as a grandma the whole game until the end
?

SomTervo

Thanks for the explanations guys. I clearly missed some of this stuff but now I have two more questions.

When did Ethan get
infected

Secondly, if
the infected see the grandma as the little girl, why does Ethan see her as a grandma the whole game until the end
?

Iirc she appears
as a little girl
when she wants to?

hughesta

Banned

When did Ethan get
infected

Secondly, if
?
the first point iirc is never explicitly made clear, but as for the second
Ethan's condition worsens throughout the game, which is why he hallucinates more and more about the little girl as the game goes on. It's also possible grandma can project the image of the girl when she wants to, but is still bound to her mortal vessel.

anyway, in regards to Ethan, I thought he was great. you've never been meant to take RE super seriously so his blasé reactions to the events in the game were hilarious to me, I really liked them. him [prologue spoilers]
grabbing the gun and just going 'alright, fine' had me in stitches,
and there are even funnier instances of this as the game progresses.

When did Ethan get
infected

It's never directly stated. Here's some possible moments:

- When he enters a house teeming with fungus spores without any protective equipment.
- When he wades neck-deep through dirty water in a house teeming with fungus
- When he touches a zombified human woman
- When he gets stabbed through the hand with a dirty knife by a zombified woman

Secondly, if
?

RE7 said:
Initial Infection
The mold ingests nutrients from the subject's body to propagate itself, and slowly takes over cells within the body.

As a side effect of this, the infected subject gains remarkable regenerative abilities.

During experiments, we removed arms and legs from test subjects and found that they were able to coapt the amputated limbs in a matter of minutes.

Mid-stage Infection
Once the mold reaches the brain, the subject's thoughts become "in tune" with those of the E-Series asset.

If this state continues, the host will lose all sense of ego.

It takes time for it to start affecting his mental processes.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's never directly stated. Here's some possible moments:

- When he enters a house teeming with fungus spores without any protective equipment.
- When he wades neck-deep through dirty water in a house teeming with fungus
- When he touches a zombified human woman
- When he gets stabbed through the hand with a dirty knife by a zombified woman

It takes time for it to start affecting his mental processes.

I talked to my RE expert friend and his answer was Ethan's infected as soon as he steps in the house.

Your second answer also makes sense.

Well now I know exactly what was going on in RE7. It was a really fun game, I binged through it in 3 days which is why I missed some of the finer details.

Darkangel

Every horror game character ever
People are either too far on the Henry Townshend specter of being apathetic and never reacting to any of the weird shit happening at all ("my neighbour just died and became a The Grudge ghost huh.... look, a placard...") or overreact to every thing every time (you should be used to ghosts appearing to you by the end of Fatal Frame already, Miku)

Some of the flavour text in the Silent Hill series can be unintentionally hilarious. Like when Harry's exploring the horrific Otherworld School and says stuff like "A wheelchair!?". Yes Harry, that's the main thing wrong here.

royox

Final Fantasy XV is FILLED with this crap.

Noctis & co. hear on the News and on TV that
their home has been taken by the Empire. Noct's dad is confirmed dead, they say Luna is dead too, Gladio knows no shit about his family.
...and 5 minutes later Prompto asks "Hey Noct! What kind of pics should I take?" or starts yelling "YEAAAAH!!! LET'S SEE THE CHOCOBOS!!!!!!!" Like he doesn't care. If I was Noctis I would punch his fucking face at the spot.

The whole game is a "happy trip with my friends!" and there's literally no reason for all the happyness after reaching ch.3

Bronetta

Final Fantasy XV is FILLED with this crap.

Noctis & co. hear on the News and on TV that
their home has been taken by the Empire. Noct's dad is confirmed dead, they say Luna is dead too, Gladio knows no shit about his family.
...and 5 minutes later Prompto asks "Hey Noct! What kind of pics should I take?" or starts yelling "YEAAAAH!!! LET'S SEE THE CHOCOBOS!!!!!!!"

If I was Noctis I would punch his fucking face at the spot.

I forget who but it was a dev of one of these open world games who said they implemented parameters in "sad situations" where the characters wouldnt spout jokes and banter but instead be more sombre.

Maybe thats something more devs should look into: limiting quips and jokes during the aftermath of tragic events.

Kazuhira

You could say that for every RE character,Chris and the rest of the main cast would have committed suicide a long time ago irl.

Village

You could say that for every RE character,Chris and the rest of the main cast would have committed suicide a long time ago irl.

Every other RE is cheesy as fuck and it works, and I would legit make the argument were just cheese tank control spy dramas that had zombies in them. And even then characters like... say shit about whats going on

RE7 is just a scared dude in a house
Though the reason for his silence might be because of the spy drama thing

SOLDIER

One game that subverts this brilliantly is Xenogears.

After his hometown is nuked to oblivion along with his best friend and childhood love interest, Fei silently walks to the next forest area not saying anything.

After a couple of hours later, he breaks the fuck down, letting all the sorrow and despair kick in. Even gets suicidal at one point

I never thought I'd be so happy to see a character get so miserable. I honestly thought it was going to be one of those "We'll grieve in one cutscene then never bring it up again" moments that plague so many JRPGs.

One of the most infuriating examples is in Final Fantasy IV:

"Hey, so the little girl you vowed to protect and loved like a daughter? I saw her get eaten by a massive sea serpent."

"....Oh."

(sad head bow)

"Anyway! Back to the adventure!"

Doubly annoying that Rosa doesn't react to this at all.

liquidtmd

Banned
* sees partner almost get squashed to death in a room with spikes in a house full of zombies

"ROFL YOU WERE ALMOST A JILL SANDWICH"

Sometimes you gotta go with it

Gigageiger

Neo Member
Does BJ Blazkowicz count? I know he's supposed to be this total badass and can survive almost anything, but I don't really buy him just being able to straight up go back to full soldier mode immediately after spending 14 years as a vegetable in a wheelchair.

I guess the game sorta justified it by implying Blazkowicz got his willpower back after holding a gun, but it's still a little farfetched.

Bronetta

Does BJ Blazkowicz count? I know he's supposed to be this total badass and can survive almost anything, but I don't really buy him just being able to straight up go back to full soldier mode immediately after spending 14 years as a vegetable in a wheelchair.

I guess the game sorta justified it by implying Blazkowicz got his willpower back after holding a gun, but it's still a little farfetched.

We still havent played the game. They could have discovered some experimental new drug to get him back on track. It would totally fit within the worls MachineGames created.

Edit: wait do you mean The New Order? My memorys a little fuzzy on how he gets back to speed so fast but I guess that would count.

KAOz

Short bus special
We still havent played the game. They could have discovered some experimental new drug to get him back on track. It would totally fit within the worls MachineGames created.

Edit: wait do you mean The New Order? My memorys a little fuzzy on how he gets back to speed so fast but I guess that would count.

Basically, he sees nazis attacking. Then go full soldier. That was all that was needed.

SOLDIER

Lara Croft gets impaled by rusty rebar in a cave in the middle of fucking nowhere in the first half hour of Tomb Raider.

It hurts for a total of 10 minutes.

There is no scene stupider in that whole game then what happens after you survive the impalment.

She slowly hobbles around the island until she runs into Sam, who is all "Hey Lara, how's it going! Heck of a crash we survived, huh? I'm just sitting here having a chat with my new cult leader buddy!"

I always attributed Ethan's nonchalance to the fact that he lives in the RE universe. Like, bioterrorism and mutants are not an unknown factor in this world; its a fairly common and public occurrence and at least 3 cities have been completely wiped off the map thanks to uncontrolled outbreaks. Sure it's scary but after a point it goes from being freaky to just something you have to plan for in life.

Or maybe it's just because
it's heavily implied he worked for, or still works for, Umbrella or a related company.

Ditto with The Evil Within. Seb has no prior experience with the supernatural but he IS a homicide detective whose apparently seen some really grisly shit. To the point where even walking into the mess in the hospital lobby at the start doesn't even really faze him. At some point you've just got diminishing returns on scares, you know? And
it's not like the guy has much to live for anyway,
death isn't something that scares him anymore.

Timeaisis

It didn't really bother me. It wasn't any less awkward than a horror movie set-up. I chalked it up to Ethan being in shock, mostly.

Honestly, that was the best part of the game for me. Wolfenstein: TNO is full on power/revenge fantasy, and that part feels damn good.

So this thread isn't too dangerous I'll put spoilers in tags. If you're putting in spoilers and you're unsure how sensitive the info is, please do the same.

I'm playing RE7 for the first time, and at the start of the game the main character
(seemingly) kills his girlfriend
and just really doesn't seem all that shook up about it or try to do anything about it. Shortly after
she cuts off his hand
and that point he seems kind of...just...pissed? Finally, he
he wakes up with his hand sewn back on and working
and doesn't seem to notice at all.

I know there are other games that have made me feel this way, but this is the one that made me make a thread. It just makes me think more about why the character is reacting so unrealistically than what's going on in the game. And it would have been easy to fix with a little animation and dialogue.

It was exactly the same for me. He acts like it's just a surprise party!

The game is pretty cool, but these small details are important for me.

RRockman

Banned
It didn't really bother me. It wasn't any less awkward than a horror movie set-up. I chalked it up to Ethan being in shock, mostly.

Honestly, that was the best part of the game for me. Wolfenstein: TNO is full on power/revenge fantasy, and that part feels damn good.

Yeah. I'm honestly surprised this is the breaking point for some people and not Cyborg Hitler or the fact the nazi's have robo dogs in 1945.

JRPGs have 12-16 yr old kids leave home to go adventures, fight monsters, and possibly save the world. Not only are they well adjusted to the situation when most kids would be crapping their pants, but their parents also don't really seem to care what they do.

MoonFrog

I've been playing Persona 5 and it's really bugging me that
Haru barely reacts to her father dying and attends the school festival a week later
. That's pretty messed up, and for a game that is story driven it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It really does. Haru is completely bungled from a main narrative perspective, imo.

(EG spoilers)
Compounding it is how little people seem to care that Akechi murdered her dad and (possibly--and the fact that it is uncertain is also off-key) Wakaba. Instead all we get is an anime pity party for the dark, young, tortured, lonely, "rival" character and his daddy issues. The lives he took suddenly don't even register.

Glix

The entire starting part of RE7 is totally insane. I think my feelings were enhanced by the VR.

The part where you have to go through neck deep water. I was screaming "JUST LEAVE, JUST LEAVE, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING JUST GO BACK TO YOUR CAR AND LEAVE WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU STAY HERE, COME GET SOME PEEPS AND COME BACK ROLLING STRONG WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!>!>!

JRPGs have 12-16 yr old kids leave home to go adventures, fight monsters, and possibly save the world. Not only are they well adjusted to the situation when most kids would be crapping their pants, but their parents also don't really seem to care what they do.

This is fine. Its just not how modern pussified society rolls. But 150 years ago no one would bat an eye at a 14 year old going on some kind of "adult adventure"

FFXV:

'Noctis your father is dead and Insomnia has been taken by the enemy'

'Ok that sucks I guess. I'm a bit annoyed but that's it. Let's eat noodles!'

'Noctis your wife to be is dead'

'Ok I'm kinda bummed out now and cranky but let's just carry on it's cool'

:-\

Bronetta

The entire starting part of RE7 is totally insane. I think my feelings were enhanced by the VR.

The part where you have to go through neck deep water. I was screaming "JUST LEAVE, JUST LEAVE, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING JUST GO BACK TO YOUR CAR AND LEAVE WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU STAY HERE, COME GET SOME PEEPS AND COME BACK ROLLING STRONG WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!>!>!

Wouldnt be a horror game/movie if the first thing the main character does is the last thing you would ever do.

Ethan not reacting much it his
wife dying or actually being alive
gave me the impression that he was a shitty dude.

When you're given the choice between saving
Zoe or Mia, I picked Zoe. It's not that I wanted to pick Zoe
, but that choice seemed to me the most realistic for Ethan. He didn't really seem to care at all about his wife.

Ahasverus

, but that choice seemed to me the most realistic for Ethan. He didn't really seem to care at all about his wife.
TBH she was really annoying.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Did everyone want to take 5-7 minutes and have him crawl into a corner contemplating everything? Do you always want to have the character break?

I loved how it would move on to the next part. I enjoy walking around with that feeling and dialogue in the background. Like Rise of the Tomb Raider, she can talk to herself, but I want to be moving and progressing while she does it.

He's probably out for himself. He drives all the way out to see her and then she goes crazy on him.

NathanS

If characters in video games reacted realistically there'd be a whole lot of losing control of them for minutes at a time while they freak the fuck out.

Especially in horror games.

ESPECIALLY IN HORROR GAMES

"Haunting Ground" actually has that, not for minutes, but how freaked out the character, Fiona, is kept tracked of and if she gets completely freaked out you lose control of all but the general direction she runs/stumbles in for like half a minute to a minute.

Bronetta

TBH she was really annoying.

I went with
Zoe
for the sole purpose that why would I want to save someone who kept all that deep shit hidden from her husband/bf.

Lord knows what else she was keeping from Ethan.

i thought this was going to be about the
cop that gets rekt in the early part of RE7
. I really feel like he was not following protocol.

SOLDIER

Did everyone want to take 5-7 minutes and have him crawl into a corner contemplating everything? Do you always want to have the character break?

I loved how it would move on to the next part. I enjoy walking around with that feeling and dialogue in the background. Like Rise of the Tomb Raider, she can talk to herself, but I want to be moving and progressing while she does it.

He's probably out for himself. He drives all the way out to see her and then she goes crazy on him.

Cloud does this at one point in FFVII. He's so afraid of Sephoroth that he contemplates running away and hiding, only to realize that there's no place in the world safe for him.

It's an existential breakdown that only lasts a few minutes, but really that's all that's needed for these kinds of game narratives.

Seb had one scene in Evil Within which was definitely in tune with the players. After narrowly surviving a fight with a giant zombie dog, Joseph drops his glasses, and he won't leave without them. So the player has to go back to grab them before being mauled by the huge ass zombie dog. He hands them back and Joseph says, "Without these I can't be myself."

Cue the player and Seb going, "What the fuck Joseph," since those dogs were basically bosses and take a lot of ammo to kill.

Plum

I've been playing Persona 5 and it's really bugging me that
Haru barely reacts to her father dying and attends the school festival a week later
. That's pretty messed up, and for a game that is story driven it sticks out like a sore thumb.

This is similar to one of my biggest grips with the ending as well. MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW:

Why the fuck does everyone just forget hell-Tokyo, blood raining from the skies and a literal fuckin' god? Even characters like Sojiro, Mishima and Sae who are shown explicitly to see it don't give a shit about what just happened. It really made me feel that the final boss was there just because it's a JRPG and of course you have to fight a god in some twisted hellscape. The game is full of weird responses from people.

SMG

Would you really want to have your character moaning, whaling and screaming for 8 hours? Realistic, but I wouldn't want that.

Plum

RE7 was unrealistic the moment he didn't nope the heck outta there after watching the tape.

My ass would get the fuck out of there as soon as I saw random body parts and dead horses lining my path. I wouldn't want to take my chances on the people who live in the house just being very avid Texas Chainsaw cosplayers.

Jawmuncher

One of my biggest complaints for RE7. For going "average joe in a shitty situation", ethan doesn't even give a fuck about what's going on outside a few instances. Go in or give me an excuse that he was an ex cop or something to justify his nonchalantness.

That isn't to say he'd need to be a big baby. But he needed more reactions than he gave. When later in the game he's fighting bosses like "I real tired of this", any sort of average joe angle was gone.

Despite what people think. He was an RE Hero character just without the Melee moves. Which is especially odd since he's nothing but a software engineer.

This is fine. Its just not how modern pussified society rolls. But 150 years ago no one would bat an eye at a 14 year old going on some kind of "adult adventure"

I know right? Kids today are such SJW snowflakes lol. I also compare them to female genitalia, because females are weak too!

Top Bottom