• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Zeliard

What the fuck, I can't even load the game up past the intro. It just sits on the first loading screen forever. This is without Durante's fix. Anyone else get this issue? Turned off Fraps and D3D Overrider as well.

Full screened windowed mode works much better. I'm cheering up a bit!

I have a utility that makes full screen windowed mode work for almost every game. Anyone with an AMD card with FPS issues try that and see if it improves.

Still getting drops though :(

Why did I go with AMD? I'm a fool.

Deepo

Just so I'm sure I've said this clear enough:

Thank you so very very much for doing this, Durante. I hope you get stinking rich from donations and a job at FROM or something like that :)

Thank you so much Durante! :D I'm playing with a MSI Cyclone 6850 Power Edition and while I don't check my fps (else I get picky about it...) it runs fine from my personal feel on 1080p!

Now I just need to force myself to play the game, from what I played so far it seems quite awesome the problem is just I usually can't take horror games and the likes very well (even the caves in Oblivion and Skyrim crept me out many times) but I simply didn't want to pass on such a great RPG and with the ingame brightness set to 10 I think it will work for me xD

I wish I could donate but sadly I don't have any means of online payment besides Paysafecards :(

And I aswell think you should get a job somewhere for this and I hope you get the money you dearly deserve, ideally Namco should acknowledge your patch and give you a percentage of their income as the publisher but we know that won't ever happen :( And I don't blame FROM in the slightest, they should get all the money too just Namco can cut back here :p

Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 3.7ghz, GTX560. Running it at 1440p on a 1080p monitor. Looks fantastic. Locked 30fps so far -- at least, no framerate drops that I've noticed.

Beautiful work.

Zeliard

I feel so left out with my shitty performance. Tired lower res settings in the DSfix, but nothing above stock resolution is running well.

Heh, at least you're able to get into a gameplay setting. My game decides to stop working after character creation.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just so no one gets too excited: the distant LOD effect appears to run using a 1024*720p framebuffer, or so I would assume. Backgrounds look very pixelated.

GJS

Beautiful. The difference when you go from playing upscaled to native is always great, it's like putting on a pair of glasses for short sightedness.

antitrop

Anyone notice that the game only runs at 2 fps rates? 30 and 15. If it ever drops from 30, it locks to 15.
I remember hearing something about if the game detects that you're running below a certain FPS for some time it will boot you back to the main menu.

Has anyone run into this yet?

Link please?

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/39550#content

I think there are several similiar utilities but this is the one I use. I always have it running and I just have to press CTRL-Enter after I launch a game in windowed mode at my native resolution and it adjust the window and hides the taskbar.

Never the less, I'm getting console like performance at 1920x1080 right now with an HD 7970 and I'm super bummed out.

Minsc

Gold Member
Kinda of a stupid question, but does anyone know if it is possible to run Durante's fix with fullscreen?

Yup, works fine that way for me.

ATI card here, and performance without the fix is poor, 30s, 20s, and even 10s. After running the fix, it stayed at a steady 30.

So if nothing else, the fix made my game go from unplayable to perfectly smooth (well as much as you can hope at 30fps) at an increased internal resolution too.

zkylon

zkylewd
Durante you are a fucking genius.
itMZQgsraPp5l.png
iRGPbeK6uB3L3.png
iIpaa2yLkYOJb.png

:D

Runs at a solid 30 FPS so far on my i5 2500k with a Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX Ti (not the 448 cores one) and 4 gigs of RAM. Gonna pospone my playthrough until you sort out the text issues, but amazing work man, I'll be sure to send a couple bucks your way.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anybody using a Wireless Controller?

I can bring up the Games for Windows guide menu with the guide button, but the game doesn't detect any input.

I'm thinking they pulled an Ubisoft and don't have the proper drivers for the Wireless Controller?

Edit: Also, this game seems to suffer the same issue that Iron Brigade has (but almost no other Games for Windows live game has), in that it hard closes when asked to quit, without quitting the Games for Windows Live software, which just remains running for a while, preventing you to quickly restart the game.

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/39550#content

I think there are several similiar utilities but this is the one I use. I always have it running and I just have to press CTRL-Enter after I launch a game in windowed mode at my native resolution and it adjust the window and hides the taskbar.

Never the less, I'm getting console like performance at 1920x1080 right now with an HD 7970 and I'm super bummed out.

Thanks, will try that.

Same here with performance, no matter what resolution it just runs poorly, amd card here as well.

randomwab

ATI card here, and performance without the fix is poor, 30s, 20s, and even 10s. After running the fix, it stayed at a steady 30.

So if nothing else, the fix made my game go from unplayable to perfectly smooth (well as much as you can hope at 30fps) at an increased internal resolution too.

ATI card here too. Mine wasn't unplayable before the fix, but after applying it I've had barely any framerate problems. Go figure.

I can bring up the Games for Windows guide menu with the guide button, but the game doesn't detect any input.

I'm thinking they pulled an Ubisoft and don't have the proper drivers for the Wireless Controller?

I'm using wireless just fine.

try removing any other controllers/joysticks or whatever you have installed...I had to remove my wiimote before it would work

drizzle

Axel Hertz
try removing any other controllers/joysticks or whatever you have installed...I had to remove my wiimote before it would work

Yes, that was my next guess. I'm testing the wired controller now, but the Wiimote sometimes messes up with controller detection on some games.

I guess it only likes the first controller on the machine, then?

Edit: yep, that made it work. The trappings of low budget porting.. :D

Durante

Just so no one gets too excited: the distant LOD effect appears to run using a 1024*720p framebuffer, or so I would assume. Backgrounds look very pixelated.
I think they're running at 512*360 actually. I can probably fix that.

(I can't sleep, too excited. But I also can't do any useful coding at this point - sucks!)

Wait, hold up, the fix is essentially a performance patch too! Wow.

Praise be Durante!

I'm really trying to hold off getting on PC for a little bit longer, still playing other games right now, but that game release smell is so strong with this one. Heck I only recently got a copy of Demon's Soul for my PS3.

(I can't sleep, too excited. But I also can't do any useful coding at this point - sucks!)

Goddamn!

iNvid02

i think this is 5760x3240 downsampled to 1080p - it was hitting 75% useage of my 690

gonna wait for the text fix though, im guessing im gonna need that

data20120824022805157u1ss8.png

data2012082402281155749syi.png

Peterthumpa

Isn't running on a lower resolution kind of an intended effect to give the illusion of DOF? I actually find the effect pretty neat if done correctly.

Forever

Banned
So really, how exactly did one man manage to make all of From Software and Namco Bandai look like fools within half an hour?

This man better be drowning in job offers soon.

Alex

Fantastic work, way quicker than I'd ever hoped as well, I just hope that we can eventually find some solution to the messages as I'd imagine it effects the online ones as well?

So really, how exactly did one man manage to make all of From Software and Namco Bandai look like fools within half an hour?

They swapped excuses from ignorance to system parity, so who even knows at this point.

gdt

Isn't running on a lower resolution kind of an intended effect to give the illusion of DOF? I actually find the effect pretty neat if done correctly.

Too low for the higher res though.

Actually, I guess Durante can remove DOF if he wants too.

Durante

Yes. But I need to make it run at eg. 960x540 when the game is set to 1920x1080.

This man better be drowning in job offers soon.
There are quite a few people out there that could do this. Won't say no to interesting job offers though :p

Top Bottom