• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2017 |OT| Let the real Hunger Games begin!

Sch1sm

I'm not Muslim but I've always thought about fasting during Ramadan for personal reasons. I'm not doing it this year, may do it next year as hopefully my body and mind would be prepared for this, any tips for a noob?

Keep well hydrated between sunset and first prayer, it's key to not dying of thirst if you live in a place that has long fasts. Over where you're at, it's something like 15-16 hours.

I'm not Muslim but I've always thought about fasting during Ramadan for personal reasons. I'm not doing it this year, may do it next year as hopefully my body and mind would be prepared for this, any tips for a noob?

Drink lots of water!!!!!!

You can easily overcome the hunger but its the thirst that really gets you. Make sure you hydrate well during the early morning meal (or the night before, whichever you prefer).

Turkoop

Banned

The hunger isn't the problem. it is the thirst. Drink as much as you can before it starts.
The first days will be hard but your body will handle it better in the following days. And you will feel much better.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my friends fast every year, and it always looks so tough getting through a workday on an empty stomach. I can imagine the joy and expectation of having a big meal at the end of it all. Good luck everyone.

Preezy

How do far-North Muslims deal with the extremely long period of sunlight? Daylight currently lasts 19 hours, 22 minutes in Iceland.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ramadan has thrown our school schedule into chaos. You'd think a school in the middle east would have a long standing plan for what to do during Ramadan but no, they've been making it up as they go along and now we will basically be baby sitting kids for the next week and a half.
They keep reminding us it's illegal to eat, drink, or smoke in public and to not get deported for forgetting. I'm trying to think back to when I lived in Indonesia in the 90's and whether it was always illegal there, I don't think it was.

My team has an iftar dinner planned, looking forward to that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sorry if I bring everyone's mood in here down, but I am so fucking pissed off about the Manchester attack. So close to the month where we all should be happiest, and what's worse even the name of the perpetrator has Ramadan in it.

Additionally, the Manchester thread has been used by some to voice their opinion about how ugly the Muslims are. Though actually, the ones who are at least honest about it pissed me less than those who think they are being clever by nudge-nudge-winking their posts when it's clear what they're really thinking about Muslims.

Again... Sorry for the rant. I just want to get that out of my chest.

Happy Ramadan to all of you, here's hoping everyone can make it through all the month with a great smile on your faces :)

faridmon

Happy Ramadhan. I am ready! Luckly My boss is giving me less hours so I can focus ore at work.

Also I am going to a festival in a one of the days

I am dead

How do far-North Muslims deal with the extremely long period of sunlight? Daylight currently lasts 19 hours, 22 minutes in Iceland.

There is fatwa that says you can follow the Saudi timings if it gets too hard. So they are allowed to fast 12-14 hours a day

faridmon

Oh my god. Ramadan this year is going to be 14 hours of fasting daily

:'(

Psst, so easy!

Try 19 hours mate

UK here

Thanks for the response. Seems like a total cop-out to me, but ok.

Huh?

May people don't realise this, but Islam is designed to e simple and easy for people to do the worship. Its not unusual or hard or demanding ones to be changed into a simpler worship. Its not a cop out if the alternative is starvation or flat out dying due to hunger / thirst

My family grew up in Norway and it was damn hard for my parents to fast. My mum had a kidney failure due to that and if only we knew that fatwa existed, my mum wouldn't be imprisoned in hospital for 3 months

bwakh

Sorry if I bring everyone's mood in here down, but I am so fucking pissed off about the Manchester attack. So close to the month where we all should be happiest, and what's worse even the name of the perpetrator has Ramadan in it.

Additionally, the Manchester thread has been used by some to voice their opinion about how ugly the Muslims are. Though actually, the ones who are at least honest about it pissed me less than those who think they are being clever by nudge-nudge-winking their posts when it's clear what they're really thinking about Muslims.

Again... Sorry for the rant. I just want to get that out of my chest.

Happy Ramadan to all of you, here's hoping everyone can make it through all the month with a great smile on your faces :)

Happy Ramadan to you too as well. :)

Something always happens during this time in some part of the world. It sucks and makes me anxious whenever I hear something terrible has happened. So I try my best to avoid these threads because all it does is make me angry and want to say something that I will definitely regret later on..

Septic360

Banned
"As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. "

Does that really work if you overstuff your face every night? And gods bounties... ugh. It blows my mind people on GAF in a modern era actually do these kind of religious rituals.

Who says everyone overstuff's their face overnight?

I lost like 11kg last year. My stomach shrinks and as soon as I eat, I feel tired and sleepy.

You DO get an appreciation for the less fortunate because you naturally compare your struggle with theirs.

What's so mind blowing about it? Why have you assumed everyone stuff's their face? It doesn't even remotely sound like you have made any appreciable attempt at trying to understand why we do it.

danthefan

Guys can I ask a question here, I'm completely ignorant so go easy!

I'm not Muslim. I'm visiting London in a few weeks and was hoping to catch up with my friend and his Muslim wife. He wasn't born Muslim but has converted. I don't want to intrude on them during Ramadan so is it appropriate for Muslims and non Muslims to eat together in the evenings when breaking the fast? He's invited me but I think he's just too polite not to. Just if it's not I'll politely decline the instead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just stopping by, because I wanted to wish you all a good Ramadan (I hope its already the right time to say that ;)) and a good fasting :)

Preezy

Huh?

May people don't realise this, but Islam is designed to e simple and easy for people to do the worship. Its not unusual or hard or demanding ones to be changed into a simpler worship. Its not a cop out if the alternative is starvation or flat out dying due to hunger / thirst

My family grew up in Norway and it was damn hard for my parents to fast. My mum had a kidney failure due to that and if only we knew that fatwa existed, my mum wouldn't be imprisoned in hospital for 3 months
It just strikes me as a perfect example of how Islam (and the other major religions) are man made. The holy books were written in a time when people didn't know that the arctic circle was a thing, nor that the daylight period for these areas were vastly different to the local Middle Eastern area that the religions were founded in. Why didn't God specifically mention these areas as exceptions? Bit of an oversight by the infallible supreme being of the universe, that's all. But hey, He's perfect so I'll be quiet.

Respect to all the Muslims that will be fasting. With the summer hours, It's a tough Ramadan this year.

Happy Ramadan to all. I hope everyone Muslim and non-Muslim alike can take some time to reflect on things this month.

NEO0MJ

I'm not Muslim. I'm visiting London in a few weeks and was hoping to catch up with my friend and his Muslim wife. He wasn't born Muslim but has converted. I don't want to intrude on them during Ramadan so is it appropriate for Muslims and non Muslims to eat together in the evenings when breaking the fast? He's invited me but I think he's just too polite not to. Just if it's not I'll politely decline the instead.

I don't think I heard anything saying they shouldn't. If he invited you then join him!

bwakh

It just strikes me as a perfect example of how Islam (and the other major religions) are man made. The holy books were written in a time when people didn't know that the arctic circle was a thing, nor that the daylight period for these areas were vastly different to the local Middle Eastern area that the religions were founded in. Why didn't God specifically mention these areas as exceptions? Bit of an oversight by the infallible supreme being of the universe, that's all. But hey, He's perfect so I'll be quiet.

I'm not a muslim scholar or anything but that is really not a perfect example of what you are trying to say. There are countless other facts in there that people living there at that time would have no idea of. Is it wise to ignore all those and base your theory on this?

Ours is a religion that does not demand extreme hardship. But if one does face such circumstances, you can be sure that the rewards will justify it. Allah is not unfair.

As far my knowledge goes, it is absolutely acceptable that muslims and non-muslims have iftar together.

Mista Koo

Ramadan kareem everyone. Hopefully this will be the year I lose weight (lol nope).

The Quran doesn't go through all the details. Those mostly come from Prophet Muhammed and Muslim scholars. Understandably, middle eastern people can get middle eastern centric.

Codeblue

Ramadan Kareem!

This is my first year working during all of Ramadan, and I'm trying to figure out whether I want to move my lunch break to the beginning or end of the day.

Preezy

I'm not a muslim scholar or anything but that is really not a perfect example of what you are trying to say. There are countless other facts in there that people living there at that time would have no idea of. Is it wise to ignore all those and base your theory on this?

Oh I'm not basing any theory on this, there are plenty of other logical flaws and paradoxes with religion (not just Islam), this is just 1 little bit that amused me.

Ours is a religion that does not demand extreme hardship.
So long as you don't become an apostate, eh?

bwakh

Oh I'm not basing any theory on this, there are plenty of other logical flaws and paradoxes with religion (not just Islam), this is just 1 little bit that amused me.

So long as you don't become an apostate, eh?

There are plenty of explanations and facts presented that people didn't understand and considered flaws before only to understand recently. Perhaps this is the same or have you or anybody else, attained perfect knowledge of everything?

There is no compulsion in religion, in Islam. Has been said in the Quran in different ways a few times.

NEO0MJ

If you were looking to argue the merits of religion, contradictions in phrases, flaws in guidelines, or similar subjects I'm sure there are better threads to discuss it, Preezy. It seems that you might be carrying the topic into another direction from what was intended.

faridmon

The Quran hasn't specified alot in regards to the actual practice of Islam, but The prophet grew up and died in the Middle East and all of his ahadeeth which teaches us how to practice were based there in context. However he did acknowledge the fact that there is a lot he didn't cover and that is why we have scholars to interpolate based on various contexts and time.

I mean, Cars and planes didn't exist back then, how do you want the prophet to explain how to pray inside one of these?

I honestly think you are just looking on weaknesses on things you don't believe and just want to justify your belief (or lack of in this case) then that is your right. I am not gonna argue over it. I mean, if you believe that Religion hasn't caught up with times and hence don't want to be part of it, then why not just... let us do what we believe is right?

w3bba

i was invited to iftat many times by a Muslim friend and his family. it's totally normal. once i had been even at a big gathering(around 100 people )they usually hold around the middle of Ramadan.

so accept the invitation and enjoy some very delicious food

Man Ramadan coinciding with the summer solstice? Hard mode engaged. Good luck and enjoy your month Muslim GAF. I'll be waiting for the delicious food at the end.

I'm the same (non-Muslim) but as a way to better acquaint myself with non-Christian religious traditions, I've decided to fast for Ramadan this year. I live in the greater Phoenix area of Arizona so I've got loooooooots of daylight to get through every day. Wish me luck!

Thanks to the tips already in this thread and to Kisaya for the Buzzfeed article, that's super helpful!

Numb

I'm the same (non-Muslim) but as a way to better acquaint myself with non-Christian religious traditions, I've decided to fast for Ramadan this year. I live in the greater Phoenix area of Arizona so I've got loooooooots of daylight to get through every day. Wish me luck!

Thanks to the tips already in this thread and to Kisaya for the Buzzfeed article, that's super helpful!

You got this!

Just curious, how do Muslim body builders or people into fitness work around Ramadan? I imagine fasting for days for a month straight could lead to muscle loss. I guess you just eat one massive meal a day?

Kickz

Taking off from work for the first week of Ramadan this year.

Does anyone tell their managers/coworkers they are fasting or do you wait until there is a company outing/work lunch to mention you are fasting and cant eat??

FZZ

Banned
Ramadan Mubarak

enhanced-27515-1463413421-1.png

Taking off from work for the first week of Ramadan this year.

Does anyone tell their managers/coworkers they are fasting or do you wait until there is a company outing/work lunch to mention you are fasting and cant eat??
Lol I'm in the exact same situation right now. My plan is to be pre-emptive. I'm gonna go "Hey team lets go out to lunch this week because I'll be fasting during the day for the next month, because its Ramadan".

Also that way during meal they will be asking about Ramadan and I can slowly convert them.

NEO0MJ

Just curious, how do Muslim body builders or people into fitness work around Ramadan? I imagine fasting for days for a month straight could lead to muscle loss. I guess you just eat one massive meal a day?

There's enough time for two meals a day. Though to be frank...I think some break their fast and try to make up for it later. And if I see anyone do workouts during the day I'm like 70% sure they're cheating because at least from how I feel during work outs exercising on an empty stomach with no water is impossible. Then again I'm sickle cell and can't take as much strain as other people.

There's enough time for two meals a day. Though to be frank...I think some break their fast and try to make up for it later. And if I see anyone do workouts during the day I'm like 70% sure they're cheating because at least from how I feel during work outs exercising on an empty stomach with no water is impossible. Then again I'm sickle cell and can't take as much strain as other people.

I didn't even think of not drinking water. Yeah that's close to impossible. I think the way to do it is to move the workout later in the day so you can rehydrate and eat immediately after.

Yazan

Moving from Sweden to UAE will make this year's ramadan a breeze. Fasting from 4 to 19? Plus leave work two hours early? Lets do it.

Although barely knowing anyone here makes it a bit boring initially.

Sch1sm

Just treat it like you're doing IF (and ask FitGAF how they go about it when they do this, for more info, I'm not the best person to describe it). Doesn't necessarily have to be one massive meal, and you don't have to give up on working out and the like (time between iftar and suhoor permitting).

Have fun! We'll be here for support. It can be tough at first but your body will adjust in due time. See if any community near you are hosting Iftar events. Its more fun when you experience it with others!

Ramadan has thrown our school schedule into chaos. You'd think a school in the middle east would have a long standing plan for what to do during Ramadan but no, they've been making it up as they go along and now we will basically be baby sitting kids for the next week and a half.
They keep reminding us it's illegal to eat, drink, or smoke in public and to not get deported for forgetting. I'm trying to think back to when I lived in Indonesia in the 90's and whether it was always illegal there, I don't think it was.

Did they shorten the school days? I'd assume the classes would either be shortened or that the students would get the month off.

Yup, absolutely. I invite friends all the time. You should def go!

EGOMON

Ramadan Kareem everyone.
It is going to be hard here in the middle east with temperatures that can reach 50+C midday

What country is this? It's illegal to not observe Ramadan?

Top Bottom