• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2017 |OT| Let the real Hunger Games begin!

danthefan

i was invited to iftat many times by a Muslim friend and his family. it's totally normal. once i had been even at a big gathering(around 100 people )they usually hold around the middle of Ramadan.

so accept the invitation and enjoy some very delicious food

Yup, absolutely. I invite friends all the time. You should def go!

Great thanks guys. As I said I'm totally ignorant here and I really didn't want to make my buddy's wife uncomfortable in particular. But that's my fears put to rest. She is an absolutely amazing cook so looking forward to it now.

Good luck to you guys observing it! Honestly don't know how you do it.

DBT85

Ramadan Kareem folks.

I visited Sharm during Ramadan a 3 years ago and those observing out there really looked like they were struggling with the heat, best of luck and be careful!

Hi guys! Ramadan Kareem to MuslimGAF. I'll be fasting too, but it's because I don't want my parents to know I identify as an atheist now, sigh. Oh well, fasting in itself is something I still commend, so I'm not really complaining. Hope you all have a good Ramadan!

Sai-kun

Banned
ramadan kareem, pals! :) especially good luck to yall with that have crazy amounts of daylight lol.

Ramadan Mubarak

enhanced-27515-1463413421-1.png

lmaooo i love this

Kickz

Lol I'm in the exact same situation right now. My plan is to be pre-emptive. I'm gonna go "Hey team lets go out to lunch this week because I'll be fasting during the day for the next month, because its Ramadan".

Also that way during meal they will be asking about Ramadan and I can slowly convert them.

Lol @ convert. I think I'll let a manager know so he has an idea why I may not attend some team lunches, anyone else can ask me.

I'm not Muslim but I've always thought about fasting during Ramadan for personal reasons. I'm not doing it this year, may do it next year as hopefully my body and mind would be prepared for this, any tips for a noob?

A few tips: consider waking up for "suhoor" which is before dawn and drinking lots of water. keep yourself hydrated! and DONT go nuts when you break your fast, instead have a small to normal sized meal, drink more water and have another decent meal later in the evening. Otherwise you'll just crash immediately lol.

I'm not Muslim but I've always thought about fasting during Ramadan for personal reasons. I'm not doing it this year, may do it next year as hopefully my body and mind would be prepared for this, any tips for a noob?

Honestly if it's your first time you shouldnt adhere to the rules strictly and I'd advise you to drink water throughout the day while not eating so you aren't dying by the end of it

Honestly if it's your first time you shouldnt adhere to the rules strictly and I'd advise you to drink water throughout the day while not eating so you aren't dying by the end of it

So, if you are a Muslim (I am not) and followed this advice, what do you do to "make up" for not keeping your fast during the day? Is it prayer? More time added at the end like a soccer match?

So, if you are a Muslim (I am not) and followed this advice, what do you do to "make up" for not keeping your fast during the day? Is it prayer? More time added at the end like a soccer match?

Ideally you wouldnt be breaking your fast unless you're getting sick/some other dire situation. But you'd be able to make the day up later or I believe feed the poor (not sure on this). If you purposefully break your fast for just the reason of breaking it im not sure if there's anything different

NEO0MJ

Today I said goodbye to my last cup of morning Joe for a month ;-;

Ideally you wouldnt be breaking your fast unless you're getting sick/some other dire situation. But you'd be able to make the day up later or I believe feed the poor (not sure on this). If you purposefully break your fast for just the reason of breaking it im not sure if there's anything different

You're supposed to help the poor if you're completely unable to fast, or if you break your fast for no good reason.

Ramadan has thrown our school schedule into chaos. You'd think a school in the middle east would have a long standing plan for what to do during Ramadan but no, they've been making it up as they go along and now we will basically be baby sitting kids for the next week and a half.
They keep reminding us it's illegal to eat, drink, or smoke in public and to not get deported for forgetting. I'm trying to think back to when I lived in Indonesia in the 90's and whether it was always illegal there, I don't think it was.

My team has an iftar dinner planned, looking forward to that.

Which country are u talking about? Even KSA isn't that strict!

The food or drink isn't so much a bother for me. It's the hot weather and lowering the gaze that's tough! If it were winter then it's easier, but summer!? Peak summer!? Alas, I don't plan to leave the house much apart from work so that will help! May have to take naps during lunch breaks now. Doubt we'll be allowed to skip it and leave early, grr.

faridmon

Ramadan has thrown our school schedule into chaos. You'd think a school in the middle east would have a long standing plan for what to do during Ramadan but no, they've been making it up as they go along and now we will basically be baby sitting kids for the next week and a half.
They keep reminding us it's illegal to eat, drink, or smoke in public and to not get deported for forgetting. I'm trying to think back to when I lived in Indonesia in the 90's and whether it was always illegal there, I don't think it was.

My team has an iftar dinner planned, looking forward to that.

What the hell? I have lived in various Arab countries and never come across this.

Debating on whether I want to fast on Monday. I'll be driving at least 5 hours back to my place and dont want to be tired on the road.

Error 404

Neo Member
Ramadan Mubarak everyone!

I know things are getting rougher and rougher with the terrorist attacks and atrocities, but don't let that get you down and stay strong. Keep all the innocent people (both Muslim and non-Muslims) getting hurt or murdered in your thoughts and pray for them. Also, you probably shouldn't be visiting those attack threads and the like if you don't want to get irritated. Gaf is not exactly religion friendly.

Anyway, time to fast 18 hours and die at the gym lol. Good luck all!

NEO0MJ

Debating on whether I want to fast on Monday. I'll be driving at least 5 hours back to my place and dont want to be tired on the road.

Don't, then. It's not worth risking your life and the lives of others. Besides, aren't there rules about going on a long trip while fasting and how you have to break it?

Check with someone more knowledgeable but sounds like it counts as a long journey so you might be able to make this one up. But I suppose if you can manage to do it then that is better? Saying that, most people I know would keep their fasts even if travelling from London well up north.

Septic360

Banned
So Ramadan is most likely starting tomorrow (UK here).

I stop listening to music this month so the ride to work and back is gonna be a mission. Listening to LBC radio is so depressing ughh.

Last day of debauchery. Suns out, guns out. Pre-Hunger Games PARTAAAAAAAAY!

forgive me

bwakh

I stop listening to music this month so the ride to work and back is gonna be a mission. Listening to LBC radio is so depressing ughh.

forgive me

You quit all sorts of music throughout the month or just during the fast?

HMD

I'm not ready for fasting, I wish I was a girl so I could get a period and not fast for a few days.

eizarus

Banned
Have water melon during suhoor. Stay hydrated most of the day. Thank me later. ;)

I'm not ready for fasting, I wish I was a girl so I could get a period and not fast for a few days.
Lmao wow... not even sure how to react haha.

Tizoc

Ramadan Mubarak everyone.
I really need to put in the motiviation to go to the gym during Ramadan.
I've started eating less nowadays and despite what I eat during Ramadan I think I can work up a good sweat and lose a few KGs.

Septic360

Banned
You quit all sorts of music throughout the month or just during the fast?

All music throughout the month.

Its crazy; your brain starts replaying music throughout the month as if its flushing away the files in the music recycle bin.

No more Stormzy, Drizzy or Kendrick :(

Preezy

One of the surgeons here won't, either, which is probably a good thing. I asked him once how that made him feel, and he said "it's okay, You Know Who understands." I thought that was nice :)

You Know Who - did he means aliens?

I think he meant aliens.

Zapages

I am working 9 to 6 almost everyday now...

During my graduate years, I would just work from home or come in sparingly to teach.

So its going to be a challenge this year. Wish me luck guys!

Ramadan Mubarak to everyone here. :)

Its crazy; your brain starts replaying music throughout the month as if its flushing away the files in the music recycle bin.

I try to play naats and religious music like Sami Yusuf. I have an hour commute.

PS: Awesome Muslim related comics: http://superhanallah.tumblr.com/

jm89

So glad the temperature is going down in the uk next week, inshallah it stays that way for june.

Would be an absolute nightmare commuting through central london whilst fasting with the current heat.

Sch1sm

forgive me

Try podcasts to get you through it!

bwakh

Respect.

I haven't been able to do that. At night especially :( Just thought of it as something that I really couldn't do. But for some reason after reading your post I will give it a good try!

Septic360

Banned
Try podcasts to get you through it!

That's actually a good shout!

Respect.

I haven't been able to do that. At night especially :( Just thought of it as something that I really couldn't do. But for some reason after reading your post I will give it a good try!

Do it man! Believe me; you will realise how much it actually relieves your senses. Full on detox.

About to have my last coffee at work for a month :(

BaasRed

Banned
That's actually a good shout!

Do it man! Believe me; you will realise how much it actually relieves your senses. Full on detox.

About to have my last coffee at work for a month :(

Man I want to but I just discovered Gorillaz and Demon Days is so good 😭

Aim_Ed

Ramadan Kareem everyone!!!!

It's finally here, no coasting and no swearing are my biggest goals. I need to come out a better man and I wish everyone the best Ramadan yet <3

So as a newbie to this, I cannot decide how to structure my days for the next month. Dawn in Arizona for the next month is about 3:30-3:40am. To maintain my general sleep schedule, I'd have to be going to bed at about 8pm every night, which is kind of nuts. However, waking at my normal time of 7am and the not eating for another 12-13 hours sounds...dangerous.

What to do?

Top Bottom