• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2017 |OT| Let the real Hunger Games begin!

Ramadan kareem everyone.
Long days of fasting for us here in The Netherlands, around 18,5/19 hours. Crazy stuff. And today it happens to be really warm too, 30°C. Oh, I also had to start work at 7. Hard first day but I'll make it.

Ramadan Mubarak fam! Will be eating with family shortly so we can get day 1 started. I cant wait!

We usually get up in the middle of the night to eat. Sometimes we just eat big meals the night before since getting up the middle of the night is brutal and you feel so groggy and have no idea where you are for the first 10 minutes lol.

The usual sleep cycle takes a hit. Dawn is set 3am here. I'll be sleeping at around 10 I guess

Then sleep from 3-6.

That's on a good day!
Just had breakfast at 3:20am. That was...odd. going back to bed now. The countdown begins.

the_id

Ramadhan Mubarak brothers and sisters. New Zealand starts tomorrow on Sunday and it's early winter here. Fake is before 6am and iftar around 5am.

Condom

Was too tired after work to eat anything yesterday, skipped breakfast and only had 2 McDonald's hamburgers and a milkshake. Slept the rest of the day. Had to get up early for an test in another city. Western Europe so 18 hour fasts. Dumb decisions all around, aced the test though.

I'm gonna prepare some unprecedented big meal this evening.

Ramadan Kareem to all!

Unfortunately, I had to eat today. Been sick in bed since yesterday and got an injection this morning. Hope to get better for fasting tomorrow.

MKIL65

I used to be able to celebrate Ramazan all the time as a kid.

But now? I'm very thin and look extremely weak. I wouldn't be able to endure it.

İyi Ramazanlar to all of you!

BaasRed

Banned
I found a good app for reading Quran, its called "Ayah". No need for online and so far no advertisements (although I'm not sure if that will last).

NEO0MJ

حلول ماه مبارک رمضان رو به مسلمانان ایرانی و سایر کشورها تبریک میگم:دی

Ramadan Kareem everyone.

Hmmm, what language are you using above?

I used to be able to celebrate Ramazan all the time as a kid.

But now? I'm very thin and look extremely weak. I wouldn't be able to endure it.

İyi Ramazanlar to all of you!

That's unfortunate to hear. Hope you get better.

Ramadan Mubarak. Almost a 15 hour fast here in Florida, so a little better than some of you. Feeling good so far. I'm glad that Ramadan started on a Saturday with a three-day weekend to boot. Makes it a lot much easier to get into the routine of fasting.

Sch1sm

Hmmm, what language are you using above?

I think it's Persian, if only because of the mention of Iran in it.

What if your job involves a fair amount of labor? I gotta walk all day for my job and I seriously have to grab some water every hour or two

If it's a difference between keeping yourself healthy, and passing out from dehydration/exhaustion? Drink the water. The idea is if you're able to do it, you do it. If you're unable to, you just make it up before the next Ramadan. That's the idea, anyway. Since it's your first time, though, maybe just drink water and avoid everything else. No one's going to think lesser of you. We're just glad you're on board. ^^

MrCarter

Ramadan Kareem from London! Stay constantly hydrated between breaking your fast and sunrise as you need that fluid to keep you going the next day.

35 minutes to go for my first day (about 16 hours total). This has been...interesting to say the least. I'm not sure I've ever specifically felt like this in my life. Thankfully the thirst didn't get me too bad.

But holy crap am I ready to tear into some falafel and hummus.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, I think I'm gonna try a sehri-less day tomorrow. Today was pretty bad in that I could not fall asleep after fajr and pretty much had a very bad headache the whole day.

I'll see if I can prioritize sleep more than food and see if that makes a difference. Of course i'll need to offer fajr prayers later for it.

Yeah proper sleep does wonders. Itll help keep your energy levels high. Id much rather eat more during dinner than mess up my sleep.

First day was easy but the lack of caffeine hurt as expected. Nothing like some ice cold lemonade and dalpuri to start off iftar though ☺️

last time i went to Jumma sitting Indian style my foot fell asleep. in fact practically every time i go to Jumma here my foot falls asleep, so awkward and annoying for when it's time to stand up for jammat and I'm limping trying to wake my fuckin foot up
Because she is a mum...

They will do whatever it takes to put food on the table for thier children.

not just me man for herself and my dad too. so much self control.

Aki-at

Man the problem isn't the fasting. The problem is trying to convince my mum I don't need anymore food on my plate D:

Numb

Man the problem isn't the fasting. The problem is trying to convince my mum I don't need anymore food on my plate D:

Not me
Bring all the samosas you can
giphy.gif

Hardest part about Ramadan is definitely the no water portion. Just about an hour and 30 mins left so just have to hold out a little longer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

U wut mate ?

I make a plate big enough that it covers iftar, dinner AND next breakfast.

Numb

Dunno how you manage it. My appetite up and dies during Ramadan. 2 or 3 samosas is my max, I'll barely make it through a plate of appetizers without feeling full.

There's a reason why i gain 10kgs every ramadan with even 20hr+ fasting days

Should've seen young fams first ever ramadan

''is it always this hard or is it just the first day?''

Me:

_XzQmr.gif

Welcome to the real world

About an hour to go. The hardest part is definitely the water. Thirst hit me harder today than yesterday, and I need to work out something better than getting up at 3am once I go back to work.

Edit: Apparently the secret to enjoying cherry tomatoes alone is not eating for 16+ hours.

Today was a good day. Didn't really feel it. We took the kids to carnival too, and even stood in line to get a funnel cake (for iftar, of course!)

Whoops, a little late to the party here. Ramadan Kareem for everyone from Indonesia.

It's been a smooth start for me but today I've got a flu. Not that I'll stop fasting, I've had worse illnesses in Ramadan. I took a sick leave though. Well, actually I'm remote working for today. Bless the Internet.

Ashes

Banned
Flu? Or cold? If you're genuinely bed ridden than you ought not to fast I don't think. These things can turn for the worse quite quickly.

I'm not sure. Generally, it's just the regular headache, mild fever, muscle ache and such. It usually goes away on its own after a day or two.

Top Bottom