• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite all the crap going on I still love this place as a gaming community

I love all of you guys, despite the fact that we sometimes don't agree. If this place continues to die a slow death, I just wanted you guys to know how great most of you are.

Staf

I agree man. Its easier to discuss games here than on Reddit or something. I personally think its better off without Politics. It seemed to create huge rifts and did more bad than good. I was mildly active in off topic, 90% gaming anyway.

You can hate this place, but face it, of you want your scoops or find help in Destiny of something there is hardly a better alternative.

It's also really weird when your not from the US.

Bunga

I posted in the true colours thread but I'll be gutted if GAF goes down. This is my first port of call for gaming news and discussion. In fact, it's really my only port of call.

It's a really crappy situation. I won't comment on the goings on but I hope some semblance of this community survives.

anothertech

I posted in the true colours thread but I'll be gutted if GAF goes down. This is my first port of call for gaming news and discussion. In fact, it's really my only port of call.

It's a really crappy situation. I won't comment on the goings on but I hope some semblance of this community survives.
The forum will be fine. The 2017 culling will be a godsend tbh.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
It's probably for the best, a shake-up as much as it can be uncomfortable can also be healthy, the people that will stay will make this a better place.

Staf

GAF is great at sniffing out the good gaming articles. I never visit a gaming website directly and look at their offerings.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's not a perfect place but I've loved the people here. I will still be around and don't wish to leave but I believe many of the people I love will leave, as is there perogrative. I believe many of the critiques that have exploded about the forum generally as the bandwagon gained over the weekend are overblown, and some problems are inevitable with a forum as diverse and as big as this has got. There is (or was with its moderation up until last week) currently no place around that is as big and relatively well maintained.

I don't know or assume to know Evilores guilt or faults. I don't believe his statement was particularly insightful and could have been better. I don't believe full removal of the OT is a good call long term but I understand why it's been removed in the wake. My sympathies do lie with the female in the case but I don't believe that gives me a greenlight to slander Tyler or kick him when I don't know the ins and outs.

It invariably is just a forum so isn't important in terms of the grand scheme of things. I just see so much absolute bile on Twitter about GAF in the last few days when that is entirely unreflective of the wonderfully creative, funny people I've met on here.

Seeing how things pan out. Hope you all have a good Tuesday. Even Tyler. I've been at the centre of a kicking and feeling the world is out to kill you. Irrespective of guilt, I hope we all heal

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I'm here to stay. At the end of the day anything outside this forum is for the police to look into/decide on not us.

It's amazing how quick alot of people were to take a side and jump ship.. How can we possibly know the facts of what happened. It certainly sounds a complicated matter given it sounds like they were in a relationship afterwards. Its just symptomatic of some people on here (and by no means everybody) that can be reactionary and too quick to judge and condemn be it a person, a company, or a piece of news without knowing the full story or looking at it from all angles.

Outside of this forum there's alot of resentment for Neogaf sadly, perhaps that's something that can be addressed in the future for us all to look at.

Let's hope the worst is behind us and we can make this place great again.

sublimit

Banned
This is by far the best place on the internet to talk about video games so i'm glad it's back. :)

I hope nothing will change on how this forum continues to operate.

Wiped89

You know, if we really want to have a gaming forum with up to the minute news and passionate discussion, then it's back.

Should we abandon ship because of the owner's personal life? I'm not defending him, if he did do what it's said he did. But I operate under the assumption of innocent until proven guilty, and until then I'm not about to make a knee jerk reaction to something I wasn't present for and only heard one side of. She's made his statement, he's made his. It's none of our business and let's let the authorities handle it (if appropriate). Tbh I just want to talk about games.

Amneisac

So much this!

I think part of what makes NeoGAF special is the ability to have a somewhat intelligent and nuanced discussion of social issues as they exist in games and gaming culture. It would be a shame to lose that. I’m not saying that’s all it should be, but it was kind of unique in being a place for that kind of discussion in addition to other gaming news.

That said, I’m glad it’s back. I just hope it’s not some kind of Pet Semetary situation.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
here for the community and gaming news
one person doing something gross shouldnt cause everyone else to suffer
ill be staying here and checking out resetera as well when that is live

Lucumo

It's amazing how quick alot of people were to take a side and jump ship.. How can we possibly know the facts of what happened. It certainly sounds a complicated matter given it sounds like they were in a relationship afterwards. Its just symptomatic of some people on here (and by no means everybody) that can be reactionary and too quick to judge and condemn be it a person, a company, or a piece of news without knowing the full story or looking at it from all angles.

The good part is that those people are mostly leaving, so I agree with what other posters have said. What's currently happening might not be (and hopefully isn't) really bad for the community in the long-run. The actual sad part is that some actual contributors probably won't be coming back.
But well...we will have to see. Let the dust settle for a bit.

krumble

been on this and gaming-age forums prior to this for almost 2 decades - there has been a change in culture and loss of devs over the past few years that has been noticeable

I never used the OT forum and only came for gaming news

I'll stick around as there has never been anywhere else on the internet I can tolerate regards to gaming...

Data Ghost

I'm not a hardcore contributor to NeoGaf but I have come here for years and in my opinion this is the single BEST forum for hardcore gamers. I have not found anywhere else on the web where games are discussed in such depth and with such passion.

This forum is about GAMES and we were all drawn here because of GAMES. So lets continue to enjoy this place for that. Regardless of how you feel for its owner, if the GAF goes we lose a forum we really like. Simple as that.

I'm not comfortable condemning the owner because he allegedly got in the shower with a girl who asked him to get out, so then he got out.

Lets keep this about the games and leave politics to the many many other places you can go to on the web to read about alleged sexual assault and biased right/left wing agenda's. I know its cool and politically correct to weigh in on everything you read online these days with your expert opinions, but.....games people, GAMES.

bitoriginal

I'm glad GAF is back. I don't get caught up in the hype of anything on the internet. I literally want to read threads about games, and this is without a doubt the best place to do that. Long may it continue.

Jb

Same.

I respect people's decision to leave but in the last couple of days I spent some time on other gaming forums and none are as pleasant to use or as well moderated as this one.

Well, I for one am glad the site is back online. Granted, I'm a fairly new member, I haven't even lurked for long before deciding to join. Even with the short time I've spent here, I think I've gotten a fair idea of the climate in here. While I think the place wasn't as bad as most detractors made it out to be, nor was it the social utopia some wanted it to be, it had a community with one unifying factor and that's video games. I can't fault the site for emphasizing on that. I just hope the community can recover from all this and renew itself, and hopefully for the better.

It's also really weird when your not from the US.

This. Most of the political stuff discussed here were news to me. I tried to participate in the discussion but most of the replies I got were derisive or dismissive and in my opinion completely unwarranted. So I didn't bother to do it again. There also seemed to be a kind of elitism towards junior members that I hope will be gone. "Why is it always the junior members?" some would joke when a junior member expressed an honest opinion or tried to ask a question that would go against the commonly held opinion. Dismissing people like that did nothing to contribute to the discussion.

Raptomex

I like GAF but I can understand why some people dislike it, too. It's a great place for gaming news and information and there's some really cool people here. On the other hand, the OT section would become polluted with political and social threads, especially over the past year, and they always ended up resorting to arguments, even name-calling. If anyone posted something different than what the consensus is here, they risked getting crucified. Just because you think differently or have a different idea doesn't immediately make you a Nazi or a horrible person. That shit gets annoying, too.

I've been a member since 2012 and just hope the Gaming side of things can still thrive.

Xtyle

Well I'm here to stay. At the end of the day anything outside this forum is for the police to look into/decide on not us.

Outside of this forum there's alot of resentment for Neogaf sadly, perhaps that's something that can be addressed in the future for us all to look at.

Let's hope the worst is behind us and we can make this place great again.

I recognize your avatar even though I don't remember your user name. Good to see you around.

Skullface

Honestly I've frequented this forum every single day since March 2013. The thread to end all threads dropped that month...

"Ground Zeroes & The Phantom Pain revealed as Metal Gear Solid V"

That was the thread that compelled me to join Gaf. Too bad about the OT situation. I remember new years eve '14, me and 2 other guys I'd never met before recorded a song together. At the time I had a huge drug problem, and gaf was the only social interaction I had for a good year.

shimon

Same.

I respect people's decision to leave but in the last couple of days I spent some time on other gaming forums and none are as pleasant to use or as well moderated as this one.

Yup. As sad as it is to see people leave,I understand why they're doing it. It is what it is I guess.

For every beginning there must be an end.
Under no circumstances had I imagined it to come this soon tho.
Can't blame any of the former staff for up and leaving.
Knowing a little bit about what went down...

Even if this forum is up again it won't ever be the same.
Validating the values of the guy in charge implicitly by sticking around just seems wrong.
I don't want to have anything to do with it, that's for sure.
Let's not forget about the good times tho,
Of which many were had...
Returning to those might still be possible.
Even if it certainly won't be in this place.

---

See ya'll on the flip side.
-TSK

Hostile_18

Banned
I recognize your avatar even though I don't remember your user name. Good to see you around.

Thank you. We might have lost alot of industry people over this but the bread and butter is definetely the members here and there's a lot of good ones still around.

The community may even be tighter and more games focused than ever after the dust has settled.

This place was a hive mind and a safe haven for social justice warriors . The site can be credited to ruining a few of my most beloved franchises like mass effect. Karma is a bitch and the site got what it deserves .

1) The site is/was very left-leaning, yes. It appears that it will continue to be, as much as it can. I'd suggest if this is a problem for you then you ought to find somewhere else to frequent.

2) You think NeoGaf alone is responsible for "ruining" Mass Effect? Does that mean you feel like the criticisms levelled at Andromeda were unfair? What about YouTube or Twitter, or social networks in general - they played a lesser part than Gaf?!

3) What other franchises has it ruined, if Gaf is responsible for "ruining a few"?

Hostile_18

Banned

Validating the values of the guy in charge implicitly by sticking around just seems wrong.

---

-TSK

He hasn't even been charged with anything... and that aside the forum is more than one person, much more. Just seems really premature.

Thud

It's dead Jim.

But I like to thank the people that didn't make this place the hellhole at times.

The members of animegaf with their antics that was truly its own anime.

The members of various Kiseki, Ys and Xanadu threads that have always been supportive of new members joining their small but strong fanbase.

The people that put in all their effort to create great OP's nobody ever read because they were too busy figuring out the threadtitle.

The many silly threads that made me question how humanity will ever survive. Reading new stuff here was always something great.

And above else the moderators that kept up with this shit for all this time.

I'm done with this site and that moron that keeps on running it. Anyone that wants to stay, what's wrong with you?

If you want to be better person than the sick fuck that made this mess in the first place, OWN it up and leave.

Thank you and smell ya later.

0racle

I could care less about what happened or didnt happen.

Im glad its back online, I had no idea where to go for gaming info and talk.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Eh, I'm sticking around. I enjoy helping out peeps especially in JRPGs or random Japanese games.

Majukun

I'm done with this site and that moron that keeps on running it. Anyone that wants to stay, what's wrong with you?

If you want to be better person than the sick fuck that made this mess in the first place, OWN it up and leave.

Personally,i don't care about the owner,i'm here for the community and the news...also, the internet knws no exclusivity,i can use multiple gaming forums, it's not mandatory to choose a side and pick only one...whatever thread will deliver in interesting discussions and breaking news, i'll be there.

Z3M0G

Im hoping that some of the OT stuff returns... at least to talk about board games, TV, etc. Not to mention the personal assistance threads that have done a lot of people good. Saved lives im sure.

Hopefully within a week we will see what things will look like.

(Any d1p lurkers know what is up over there?)

I feel you OP..

Is crazy to see how many times I tried clicking on Neogaf and then was sad every time I saw it down. I felt lost the last couple of days. I love getting info from this community and also interacting with other great gamers.

Raptomex

It's dead Jim.

But I like to thank the people that didn't make this place the hellhole at times.

The members of animegaf with their antics that was truly its own anime.

The members of various Kiseki, Ys and Xanadu threads that have always been supportive of new members joining their small but strong fanbase.

The people that put in all their effort to create great OP's nobody ever read because they were too busy figuring out the threadtitle.

The many silly threads that made me question how humanity will ever survive. Reading new stuff here was always something great.

And above else the moderators that kept up with this shit for all this time.

We don't have to own up to anything. It's a fucking video game message board. Just because someone posts here doesn't immediately make them a sexual predator or whatever else it is people seem to think.

Vitten

Been a strange few days. Never really posted here much but coming to Gaf, checking the latest game news and occasionaly putting in my two cents has been my daily routine for as long as I can remember. Heck, my join date says 2004.
Would hate to to see it all go up in smoke just like that.

I'm inclined to forgive Evilore for his sins, from what I've read it's not the end of the world. I just hope he can make the right decisions and focus on reastablishing the reputation of neogaf which will take lots of time I'm afraid.

BTW, if there's going to a reboot or a revamp I'd have zero trouble doing without an OT forum. That thing only gave Neogaf its bad rep in the first place. This is a gaming enthusiast forum first and foremost. All the rest is just bloat and with sites like Reddit ruling supreme these days also superfluous

BrunOz

It was an weird weekend without being able to browse GAF, I'm glad the site is back, I'm here to discuss video games and that is it.

jayvo

I browse GAF on a daily basis. When it went offline, I was quite literally lost and concerned if it would return or not. Despite the flaws of the admin, the gaming community here is unlike any I've ever experienced. OT's are the best, especially for non-recent games.

It's not good 'members', they are people who feel strongly about something and decide to stand by their feelings.

What will be left are the people who feel someone is innocent until proven guilty, and the rest who just dont give a fuck about anything and want to tell everyone else why they are wrong about something (the majority of GAF probably)

What about the people who just want gaming news and no drama.

---

-TSK

I'm sticking around and don't validate his supposed actions. The two things aren't mutually exclusive

Top Bottom