• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aragami |OT| Check Your Stealth Before You Wreck Your Stealth

SomTervo

I finished it. I think the stealth and navigation are actually really good. There's no jump button because maneuvering is based entirely on how much Essence you have, getting caught is dangerous but escaping feels fair rather than the game devolving into a brawl like most stealth games. Ending definitely feels rushed. Second boss fight was pretty tedious, first one was good. Storywise
things point to Aragami being Ryuta, but also to him being from Kaiho, then the game outright tells you he's some guy named Ryo. But then it hints that he's Ryuta. And who the hell is Hyo and what was his deal?

Supposedly there are scrolls to read, but I don't know how much light that would shed on the situation. It seems like a mess and I felt no reason whatsoever to sympathize with Kaiho.

Can you elaborate on the bolded? After the
Ryo
reveal, I'm pretty sure there's no hint that
Aragami is Ryuta. That's suggested earlier in the game but not later. After the Ryo reveal it's meant to be pretty clear we're the 'reincarnated' spirit of Kaiho's first general, Ryo.

I suppose this would be most effective if you had been reading the scrolls throughout the game, but obviously they're optional. The scrolls fill in 99% of the backstory, so they should explain a lot. IIRC you read them from the skills menu.

You're also not particularly meant to sympathise
with either party. They both did fucked up stuff. We're just seeing Ryo's particularly fucked up betrayal/revenge narrative.

Hyo is
the first boss, with the shield. He was Ryo's right-hand man, a Kaiho lieutenent essentially. So when you fight and kill him you're killing your old best friend. Hopefully this would be clearer on second playthroughs/upon reading the scrolls.

ScribbleD

The boss fight in chapter 9, am I doing something wrong? The pattern looks like it should be break a light, backstab the boss, repeat 2 more times. After breaking the 2nd light orb, I cannot attack him no matter what. Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing?

The boss fight in chapter 9, am I doing something wrong? The pattern looks like it should be break a light, backstab the boss, repeat 2 more times. After breaking the 2nd light orb, I cannot attack him no matter what. Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing?

Aerial
kill.

illusionary

One thing I'd love to see added to the game is a counter to keep track of how many enemies you've killed in each chapter (perhaps limited to chapters already completed?) - it's rather frustrating to get to the end of a "kill everyone" attempt and find that I'm a couple of enemies short, despite combing through the level for them.

I'm currently trying to find the last couple in chapter IV (I'm at 39/41, with my restored PS+ save backup), but really struggling. I don't suppose that anyone has any suggestions of where I might be missing?

KingKong

This game is pretty fun, but I can't help but think that it would be so much better if they replaced the blink mechanic with jumping and wallclimbing. It's way too finicky

One thing I'd love to see added to the game is a counter to keep track of how many enemies you've killed in each chapter (perhaps limited to chapters already completed?) - it's rather frustrating to get to the end of a "kill everyone" attempt and find that I'm a couple of enemies short, despite combing through the level for them.

I'm currently trying to find the last couple in chapter IV (I'm at 39/41, with my restored PS+ save backup), but really struggling. I don't suppose that anyone has any suggestions of where I might be missing?

Probably a bug. It's counting the 2 guys from the cinematic with Hikaru at the start. Fixing it soon.

Reading about the inconsistent frame rate, is this a Unity game? I can't stand the hitching and stuttering from the engine on consoles. I would love to buy the Signature Edition, because the game looks fun, but not with that performance.

illusionary

Probably a bug. It's counting the 2 guys from the cinematic with Hikaru at the start. Fixing it soon.
Ah, that's good to hear - thanks for the reply! If it makes any difference, this has been after reloading to the checkpoint at the start of the second area (after the collapsing pillars).

What are your thoughts about adding a tracker/counter? See also here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/280160/discussions/0/348293161791288510/

Reading about the inconsistent frame rate, is this a Unity game? I can't stand the hitching and stuttering from the engine on consoles. I would love to buy the Signature Edition, because the game looks fun, but not with that performance.
Unity yes, but the performance isn't *that* bad and certainly it's entirely playable. If you're tempted, I'd say just go ahead and buy, it's an excellent game.

S1kkZ

there will be a ps4 patch this week, that improves performance.

Well I just finished it up, getting all pacifist medals. Overall I enjoyed it, but there are a lot of problems - particularly with the PS4 version.

1: The framerate is generally poor and gets absolutely fucking disgusting at times. Very rarely does a game make me feel sick (I can count maybe 4 games ever) but this was doing so regularly - and annoyingly it was always the chapters that were long and tough so that I was having to keep playing for up to an hour while feeling dizzy and sick so that I could finish the mission and save. Great Lake was probably the worst, in one area I used the skill to mark all enemies and it must have dropped below 10fps.

2: In addition to the bad framerate it often hitches up for a second or so (probably when loading) which led to regular deaths when I needed to quickly chain teleports to escape.

3: The final section of chapter 12 is probably the worst level design I've ever encountered.

4: Regarding the story,
if they were trying to make me feel any sympathy for Kaiho or the generals they failed miserably. They destroyed the kingdom of Nisshoku, slaughtered all its people and then sealed the Shadow Empress (who came about as a result of their actions). And after spending the entire game seeing how shitty they actually are you end up having "hurr durr dark=bad, light=good" shoved down your throat in the final chapter as an excuse for why I'd suddenly want to side with Kaiho. Quite honestly given the choice I'd have sided with Nisshoku and Yamiko at the end.

there will be a ps4 patch this week, that improves performance.

That's good to know. Will wait for impressions then.

Unity yes, but the performance isn't *that* bad and certainly it's entirely playable. If you're tempted, I'd say just go ahead and buy, it's an excellent game.

The usual Unity stuttering really annoys me. I can't deal with it. I tried it several times with different games. That engine is just a nightmare for me.

Moff

I stopped playing after the first few levels because of the poor performance. I picked it up again over the weekend because it got a few patches on steam and indeed it ran supersmooth, played levels 4 to 9 and absolutely loved it.

Played again yesterday, again level 9 and suddenly it was more stuttery than ever, to the point where I got a headache, killed the boss but it's basically unplayable now, no idea what happened, restarted pc, no improvement. Other games run great as usual. Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks.

SomTervo

4: Regarding the story,
if they were trying to make me feel any sympathy for Kaiho or the generals they failed miserably. They destroyed the kingdom of Nisshoku, slaughtered all its people and then sealed the Shadow Empress (who came about as a result of their actions). And after spending the entire game seeing how shitty they actually are you end up having "hurr durr dark=bad, light=good" shoved down your throat in the final chapter as an excuse for why I'd suddenly want to side with Kaiho. Quite honestly given the choice I'd have sided with Nisshoku and Yamiko at the end.

Sympathy wasn't really meant to be built
for either side. The point is that nobody is particularly good or bad, or at least, both sides are past the point of no return.

Hopefully will get a script refresh in a future update.

I stopped playing after the first few levels because of the poor performance. I picked it up again over the weekend because it got a few patches on steam and indeed it ran supersmooth, played levels 4 to 9 and absolutely loved it.

Played again yesterday, again level 9 and suddenly it was more stuttery than ever, to the point where I got a headache, killed the boss but it's basically unplayable now, no idea what happened, restarted pc, no improvement. Other games run great as usual. Maybe I'll try again in a few weeks.

On PC?

Dang, what are your specs?

Moff

On PC?

Dang, what are your specs?

a GX980TI, should run well :p

finished it, despite the performance issues

I really think this is a great stealth game with very interesting and enjoyable mechanics
the jumping around in the shadows is too much fun, I got the ghost (never spotted) and pacifist (no kills) achievements in my first playthrough, apart from the second boss I think these were quite easy to get, I feel the game is meant to be played that way. you still have to be very observant and careful though.

I usually play stealth games with killing/subduing every enemy in a level, but here I feel that would be too hard and honestly not much fun. not because it would be difficult but very time consuming and annoying because one mistake means you have to do a lot all over again. I also think the kill animations are not very satisfying unlike say in tenchu.

still, great game, I'm glad it gets very positive reviews on steam and hope it will be quite successful in the long run.

illusionary

PS4 v1.04 update released on Monday. Supposedly there are performance improvements for "some chapters", but it's not clear which. David - if you're reading this, are you able to clarify?

Also, it would be good to know whether the kill tracking bugs have been fixed here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There seems to be a small bug with the kill total in Chapter 4 (The Shaded Woods). I played through it at least four times and kept getting 39/41, but I just finished it again and got 42/42. I did find it odd that the YouTube videos I watched to see if I'd missed a hidden area both had a kill total of 42, but they're ~a few weeks old, so I just shrugged off the difference as the result of slight level redesign by way of a patch.

Edit: Oh, right, the platform I'm playing on would help. PC version!

illusionary

There seems to be a small bug with the kill total in Chapter 4 (The Shaded Woods). I played through it at least four times and kept getting 39/41, but I just finished it again and got 42/42. I did find it odd that the YouTube videos I watched to see if I'd missed a hidden area both had a kill total of 42, but they're ~a few weeks old, so I just shrugged off the difference as the result of slight level redesign by way of a patch.

Edit: Oh, right, the platform I'm playing on would help. PC version!

Yep, I've had the same with getting 39/41, though not been able to get 42/42. The devs have acknowledged it as a bug and apparently it will be fixed, but I'm not sure when - see post #106 above.

Wozman23

Finally got back to playing through this.

First off, I abhor stealth games. I never played Tenchu, but I've tried various stealth/action-stealth games like Metal Gear, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, Hitman, and Styx. Most of the time I abandon them after an hour or two. I want to enjoy them, but I just don't. About the only 'stealthy' games (and I'm using that term loosely) I've enjoyed were Mark of the Ninja, The Last of Us, and Sly Cooper.

Overall, I really love the stealth mechanics here. Teleporting and creating shadows never gets old. I felt that from the second I played Path of Shadows, and it's even better here. That alone is worth the experience. It's especially satisfying when you can teleport to avoid an incoming light attack and quickly stab the enemy in the back.

I went the Oni route, and tried to kill everyone my first playthrough. Missed a couple. I didn't really touch the Ghost Techniques, favoring the Shinen, Kunai, and Shadow Kills. I'm going back now for the Yurei and Kami medals, which are much easier so far.

There were some tough areas, and I died repeatedly, but I really enjoyed the stealth for once. The sandbox approach give you a lot of options that let you play the way you want to. In most other stealth games, I feel like the way I want to play is either unencouraged or punished. The art style also aided in the enjoyment - as I'm a huge fan of bold art direction and cell shading.

The boss battles were a little tough. The first one took me a while to figure out. But I really enjoyed the cover based one toward the end with the archer.

Sure, the game doesn't run perfect, the AI isn't always the brightest, and it has some rough spots, but it's an accessible stealth game with a unique approach, and a huge accomplishment from such a small team.

There are a lot of great ideas at play. Some are executed well, and some could use a bit more refinement. I could easily see Aragami being expanded upon even further to be even better. I'd even love to see Aragami become a franchise.

Oneself

Monsieur Leon!

Can we expect the Pro patch to hit around the Pro's launch day?

I played a bit just to get an overall feeling of the game and I decided to keep it fresh for when the Pro releases. ;)

illusionary

...and platinumed! :D

I'm glad to see that it's possible to get all kills on chapter 4 now, whether that's because the issue's been patched or I just got a lucky run (I suyspect the latter, given the pattenr of other posts that I've seen on the matter, and its absence from patch notes).

All in all, I've really enjoyed my time with Aragami, and found that it maintains itself as a really satisfying stealth experience pretty much throughout. Even the 'boss' chapters aren't *too* frustrating, given a little practice and some judicious use of Shadow Techniques. I'd have to agree with the sentiment that I've seen earlier in the thread about Shadow Kill being a bit overpowered, as I found it massively helpful in a whole range of situations.

Akzel

Since I'm not autorized to create a thread I'm asking here. (Sorry for the bump) Is there any other game with that style (aragami, tenchu) on ps4? I really love that style but i barely see any of those kind of games these days.

illusionary

Since I'm not autorized to create a thread I'm asking here. (Sorry for the bump) Is there any other game with that style (aragami, tenchu) on ps4? I really love that style but i barely see any of those kind of games these days.

Not to my knowledge, unfortunately, at least not the the same extent.

There are, however, a few good stealth-focused games, of differing types, that you might consider; off the top of my head, do any of these appeal?

Styx: Master of Shadows
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Thief
Hitman
Dishonored: Definitive Edition

Monsieur Leon!

Can we expect the Pro patch to hit around the Pro's launch day?

I played a bit just to get an overall feeling of the game and I decided to keep it fresh for when the Pro releases. ;)

We are still waiting for Sony to get some Pro Dev Kits in stock, but I want to patch Aragami for PS4 Pro ASAP, obviously.

Currently working on new content, updates to improve gameplay using player's feedback (difficulty ;D) and performance.

Oneself

We are still waiting for Sony to get some Pro Dev Kits in stock, but I want to patch Aragami for PS4 Pro ASAP, obviously.

Currently working on new content, updates to improve gameplay using player's feedback (difficulty ;D) and performance.
Thanks for the update, my copy is waiting patiently to be played on the pro :)

Can we expect selectable modes à la Rise of the Tomb Raider / InFAMOUS / Knack?

Picked up the game during launch, didn't have much expectations for the game, but daaaaamn I actually enjoy it alot, sneaking and trying to pass each level without killing....even with some frame rate problem it still play fine....good job man

I'm trying to get the ghost (yurei) rating for the levels, does it still count if an enemy has been suspicious with a question mark i.e. player spotted, but your end tally still shows the Never Detected marking? Or do you lose it?

S1kkZ

ps4 pro patch in february, according to the playstation twitter.

i hope they increased the draw distance of the light/shadow effects. this is what hurts the game the most (visually), in my opinion.

Oneself

ps4 pro patch in february, according to the playstation twitter.

i hope they increased the draw distance of the light/shadow effects. this is what hurts the game the most (visually), in my opinion.
Hell yeah! Looking forward to this, thanks for sharing.

As of February 28th, the Aragami Level Editor is now live. As they describe in their blog post on Steam, it features the following:

• Design your own levels. Upload them to Steam Workshop. Share them with thousands of Aragami players.
• Download hundreds of new levels and missions for Aragami.
• Multiplayer support! Play any level with online multiplayer!
• Hundreds of props to desing your own scenario.
• Place and design your own enemy patrols.
• 3 main objectives: Infiltration, Heist and Target Hunt.
• 1 new enemy type: The V.I.P.! Hunt him down in Target Hunt.
• 3 different locations: Graveyard, Forest and City.
• 3 level sizes: Small, Medium and Large.
• Different level variants: Pacifist, No Alerts and Time Limit.

Additionally, the game is 40% off right now on Steam (maybe other platforms, but I'm not certain) so if you were waiting for a discount, then now is your chance.

S1kkZ

pro patch is out.

i only played for a few minutes (in 1080p) and it was a massive difference both with ysync on/off, the framerate was much, much more solid.

Unicorn

Just grabbed this on sale on Steam to coop with my Tenchu fan friend. Also, I'm stoked for the level editor. How intuitive is it? Good options?

Tried running on my Surface Pro 2 and it was a no go. About 10fps. I'll have to just stick to my desktop. Would love a version for on the go.

Top Bottom