• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

Did a little reading on this: Apparently IDOL and Merlin Phonophile are groups involved in the distribution of music, which means they probably have entries in the big YouTube database that triggered the content ID.
I've gotten some claims (or rather: "matched third-party content") from IDOL and [Merlin] Phonofile off of some plain Super Street Fighter IV vids; the only music is the game's soundtrack.

Not sure how much this has been discussed in here, but given that Dead Rising 3 notice for TheRadBrad I guess they're heavily tied with certain game companies, like Capcom?

Any reports of problems from people NOT monetizing their content?

I've got hundreds of video game videos and not a single extra claim arrived today with that “new system”.
I'm not monetizing any video's and I got 4 "matched third-party content" claims today.

Orayn

So is this some mistake where copyright claims have caught up lets plays or is it really publishers going after these channels?

It's an automated system recognizing audio and video stuff that's part of YouTube's database of copyrighted material. There's no immediate threat to anyone's account or videos, but anything that gets a content ID match can't by copyrighted unless you dispute the claim.

I've gotten some claims (or rather: "matched third-party content") from IDOL and [Merlin] Phonofile off of some plain Super Street Fighter IV vids; the only music is the game's soundtrack.

Not sure how much this has been discussed in here, but given that Dead Rising 3 notice for TheRadBrad I guess they're heavily tied with certain game companies, like Capcom?

Yeah, seems like they might be a distributor for those games' soundtracks.

Sec0nd

I'm interested in how this situation gets resolved. My favourite channels on YouTube are mostly gaming channels and I'll be pretty sad if they can't continue the way they did. That being said, it's pretty weird that people can actually make money playing a game this way. Shouldn't this affect sites like Twitch by the way? You could make the comment that people (most lazy Let's Plays aside) put effort and creativity in their videos on YouTube but Twitch is just literally a guy playing a game.

Either way, I look forward to see this business get resolved in a fair way.

Amir0x

Banned
If I were videogame publishers and developers I'd be terrified of this. This is endless free publicity that is being stopped out of sheer ridiculousness. What are they doing?

Feep

Banned
If I were videogame publishers and developers I'd be terrified of this. This is endless free publicity that is being stopped out of sheer ridiculousness. What are they doing?
Doesn't Content ID only work if a pub/dev has registered their intellectual property with YouTube?

It's an automated system recognizing audio and video stuff that's part of YouTube's database of copyrighted material. There's no immediate threat to anyone's account or videos, but anything that gets a content ID match can't by copyrighted unless you dispute the claim.

Yeah, seems like they might be a distributor for those games' soundtracks.

Yeah I get that. But who's copyright claims are tripping the system? Music companies or videogame publishers?

And this is why there is no YouTube upload for the new consoles. It's not happening ever.

So far it seems you wouldn't get into any trouble by uploading footage besides ads appearing on your videos. It only affects the business of people monetizing their videos without proper copyright licenses/authorizations.

Orayn

Yeah I get that. But who's copyright claims are tripping the system? Music companies or videogame publishers?

It's a variety of things. Game soundtracks, certain sound effects, or any part of a game trailer are likely to do it, but claims can be completely erroneous as well, like the case where a company claimed to own live ambient nature sounds.

Nokterian

Big AAA publishers are not getting free publicity like one said in another thread "Let's do 100 million dollar marketing and hear the complaints after the release". And the smaller indie or mid publisher will benefit from this being more in the spotlight.

patapuf

So far it seems you wouldn't get into any trouble by uploading footage besides ads appearing on your videos. It only affects the business of people monetizing their videos without proper copyright licenses/authorizations.

It affects those with authorisations too since youtube blocks the monetisation until they've processed your case and pretty much anyone can file a complaint. Plenty of people with authorisation are copmlaining of getting flagged.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I do love this lol. So far on the videos I've checked where companies Capcom, EA and more have claimed they are all running ads. So it's not just they don't want us to earn money but they want some cash.

Your video "TITLE HERE" may have content that is owned or licensed by GAMEPUBLSHER, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

If they start doing this to every hundreds channel who get millions of views a month on the latest videos these companies will be earning a little extra cash on the side.

wildfire

Banned

As Jim Sterling said they are trying their best to turn VOD makers into shills just like they did with gaming journalists.

They want to control the publicity.

If we let this continue these youtubers will go from having idiots on forums like this complaining about talentless hacks making money they don't deserve to a new and mostly different band of idiots joining them to say they are just corporate hacks in 3-5 years.

besada

Banned
It affects those with authorisations too since youtube blocks the monetisation until they've processed your case and pretty much anyone can file a complaint. Plenty of people with authorisation are copmlaining of getting flagged.
They might have authorization from the publisher, but not the licensor of a music track, as games license tracks all the time.

MADGAME

Actually, as a matter of fact, royalties are exactly were my livelihood comes from. I've had people use my music in videos, and I've had people steal my music to try and resell it. The latter is when I took action.

I'm not understanding the snarky way you're responding to me, like you're happy that these people may go broke.

Sounds like you want to believe people actually want people to be broke, since you've mentioned it in previous comments. Only a heartless person would want that, and attempting to demonize those who disagree with you is a poor debate strategy. I certainly don't, but I don't believe someone should be able to make money from another persons IP without paying due. Apparently you do, if that's the way they feed their family.

I do love this lol. So far on the videos I've checked where companies Capcom, EA and more have claimed they are all running ads. So it's not just they don't want us to earn money but they want some cash.

Your video "TITLE HERE" may have content that is owned or licensed by GAMEPUBLSHER, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

If they start doing this to every hundreds channel who get millions of views a month on the latest videos these companies will be earning a little extra cash on the side.

I got one from Konami... so yeah... they are going to make bank on these peoples videos!

daman824

Big AAA publishers are not getting free publicity like one said in another thread "Let's do 100 million dollar marketing and hear the complaints after the release". And the smaller indie or mid publisher will benefit from this being more in the spotlight.
Unless the game is bad yes they are. Battlefield 4 most likely got roasted by youtubers because it was broken on release. But The Last of Us, GTA5, Skyrim, ect. no doubt benefited from free publicity. I'd bet that the high sales of TLOU and Skyrim can be partially attributed to youtubers with tens of thousands of loyal fans throwing praise at the games.

VariantX

I doubt these big publishers would lose sleep. They're perfectly happy spending insane sums of money on marketing as it is just so they can convey a controlled message about their products anyway. Smaller pubs and developers, I can see this being a problem for.

patapuf

They might have authorization from the publisher, but not the licensor of a music track, as games license tracks all the time.

You can get flagged for music even if you have the written permission to use it. You can contest and get your advertising rights back of course but the ad money until your case is processed will be gone.

as this thread showed can even get flagged by THQ! Or by the publisher that is explicitly paying you to make videos.

Youtubes bot system isn't really all that smart.

It would appear that Obama is correct. We all need to learn to code and make our own games instead of just playing them. It is certainly pie in the sky, but I imagine any of us would be more in touch with our playerbase than the current schmucks that head game publishers.

Harlequin

For things like simple, unedited (or only very slightly edited) cutscene footage, soundtracks and the like I completely agree with the publisher/developer being able to get 100% of the money. However, when it's actual playthroughs of the game, especially when those playthroughs are commentated via voice over or when it's RPG playthroughs where the player's choices actually have a large impact on the gameplay, at least 50% of the money should go to the player. That's the only fair solution IMO.

Amir0x

Banned
Doesn't Content ID only work if a pub/dev has registered their intellectual property with YouTube?

Exactly. So what is wrong with those publishers/developers? Are they insane? They really are so disconnected from what makes a healthy community at this point I don't even know if there's anything left to say

This Youtube fiasco is a microcosm of a much larger problem. Corporations & governments have gotten much more brazen as of late due to a generation of people that have been conditioned to lie down and take it. I've seen multiple comments in this thread showing support for the poor little corporations and their intellectual properties. Fuck your fellow man for making money by simply delivering honest opinions & content about the games we are interested in while serving as free advertisement at the same time. Fuck those guys, the corporations need your support.
If these Youtubers want to make a profit they should become part of the machine like a Polygon or IGN. We all know that's where REAL journalist gamers work lol.

This is a small example of why our futures don't look so bright. Freedom dies with a wimper as the corporate/government brainwashed asshats stand by and applaud.

If this wasn't a main source of income, aka a side gig, for those guys, or if the revenues could be limited, could it then be okay to post videos? Seemingly worse, you have guys streaming longplays and channels on twitch. Where do publishers draw the line? Or could there be a YouTube bill sent through Congress to protect internet content providers?

remz

For things like simple, unedited (or only very slightly edited) cutscene footage, soundtracks and the like I completely agree with the publisher/developer being able to get 100% of the money. However, when it's actual playthroughs of the game, especially when those playthroughs are commentated via voice over or when it's RPG playthroughs where the player's choices actually have a large impact on the gameplay, at least 50% of the money should go to the player. That's the only fair solution IMO.

I don't think the player should be making any money at all, to be honest. 95% of lets play videos the content you actually want to see is a game- the person yapping/playing it is just a distraction to the real meat.

This is with single player stuff, anyway. Multiplayer games area a different deal

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't think the player should be making any money at all, to be honest. 95% of lets play videos the content you actually want to see is a game- the person yapping/playing it is just a distraction to the real meat.

This is with single player stuff, anyway. Multiplayer games area a different deal

Speak for yourself.

Harlequin

Then you're watching the wrong Let's Plays :p. And still, I feel like with a lot of games, the actual gameplay is enough of a creation by the players themselves to justify them getting a share. When it's an extremely controlled/scripted/cinematic game you could argue against that. But with a lot of games the player actually provides self-created content by just playing the game. Like, in a walkthrough for a shooter, the player will have their own strategy to dealing with a situation. This strategy is their creation, not the publisher's. It is therefore fair that the player should get some of the money made off the video. It wouldn't be fair for the player to get all of it, but then it wouldn't be fair for the publisher to get all of it, either IMO.

If anyone sees or hears of any Codemasters titles getting done let me know please. As mentioned before we have a policy that allows people to upload and monetise their content (even if it's based on our games) but do understand that mistakes can happen (automated systems and all that) or someone else do it on part like the Deep Silver incident.

Someone like Pewdiepie wouldn't have 17+ million subscribers if 95% of people wanted to see the games. They could go watch them elsewhere then.

People gravitate towards the personalities they like, you may not like it but the majority of people associate themselves with different youtubers because of the personalities not the games

Look at Cr1TiKaL dude plays THE shittiest games and he has a huge following because he's funny as fuck

If anyone sees or hears of any Codemasters titles getting done let me know please. As mentioned before we have a policy that allows people to upload and monetise their content (even if it's based on our games) but do understand that mistakes can happen (automated systems and all that) or someone else do it on part like the Deep Silver incident.

The world needs more companies like you guys, who understand the gamers and the culture instead of trying to squeeze out extra cash

Does any of your games include music owned by another party? There have been reports of, for example, Battlefield 4 videos disabled for monetization because the game includes a Bonnie Tyler song and it is unclear whether the publisher's authorization for monetization covers third-party content used in the game too or not.

atomsk

Party Pooper

Will be filming a Dirt Showdown review tonight that'll go up on the 20th, I'll be sure to let you know if anything happens.

I already know well enough to turn off the in-game music

Exactly. So what is wrong with those publishers/developers? Are they insane? They really are so disconnected from what makes a healthy community at this point I don't even know if there's anything left to say
Not really, it's more YouTube, although publishers might apply pressure. It's absolutely fine for publishers to upload their copyrighted material to YT's system, because it's bullshit that someone could be making money just by uploading licensed music to his channel without doing any extra work. The copyright owners "deserve" to run their ads instead.

It becomes problematic with LPs and fair use stuff though e.g. reviews. YT's algorithm doesn't make a difference between someone doing a review and someone uploading straight songs. But that's YT's problem.

Uhm, no. I watch LPs only for the commentary.

Does any of your games include music owned by another party? There have been reports of, for example, Battlefield 4 videos disabled for monetization because the game includes a Bonnie Tyler song and it is unclear whether the publisher's authorization for monetization covers third-party content used in the game too or not.

Depends on the game but off the top of my head it could cause an issue for some of the DiRT titles. F1 had a lot of The Chain being used in our promo videos for 2013 so that might be an area to watch.

GRID 2 was all custom soundtrack which I actually uploaded for everyone to download so there is a chance someone is using it but as it's that own the copyright it should be ok.

My inbox has been clear of content id emails so guess all is good atm.

The world needs more companies like you guys, who understand the gamers and the culture instead of trying to squeeze out extra cash

Thanks, but I don't see us doing anything special, it just seems right. End of the day we make our money from people buying our game / DLC and so forth. If someone makes a let's play of one of our games and it convinces people to go check it out then great, they deserve some form of recognition and if that's us allowing them to monetise their videos so be it. The fact that systems are being put in place to ensure that Content Creators will be given early access code in the future should be an indication of our stance on it.

Don't buy into the notion of it putting people off the game, same could be said of reviews, previews, screenshots and trailers we make ourselves. Ultimately it's up to us to make a good game.

Ultimately it's something we'll be pushing extra hard on over the coming weeks, especially over the festive period when we always see an influx in this sort of activity (lots of presents, sales and games being gifted) so I'm pushing to get something live up on one of our web spaces within the next week.

MajorPain

Someone like Pewdiepie wouldn't have 17+ million subscribers if 95% of people wanted to see the games. They could go watch them elsewhere then.

People gravitate towards the personalities they like, you may not like it but the majority of people associate themselves with different youtubers because of the personalities not the games

Look at Cr1TiKaL dude plays THE shittiest games and he has a huge following because he's funny as fuck

Agree 100% with this.

MilkBeard

Came to post Jim Sterling's new Jimquisition, but I see others have already.

These new policies implemented are a bit frightening. It is also telling of bigger things happening with copyright, as propositions like SOPA and PIPA have been making the rounds. There's no denying, it all boils down to big corporations wanting more control over everything that we do.

EDIT: Monetisation itself is a tricky subject though. Would make me not want to trust the regulations of Youtube and try to strike out and find ways to keep the fanbase without it.

Lebon14

If you are doing what you're doing for fun and not for money, those ID Claims will do jack all to you. However, if you are raging because you are losing money, educate yourself on copyrights. Consider yourself lucky that most companies allows you to upload footage in the first place.

Those who were making videos for fun will keep doing them and, for that, I thank you. If you were doing videos for money and want to leave Youtube. Go ahead, leave. We won't miss you. Problem is: making money off something that isn't your own is illegal. Good luck on finding your new safe heaven and regaining your popularity back. Chances are, you will lose hope and abandon because your money isn't coming in.

I'm not a content creator but, if I'd be one, I would thank you just because for the fact that I can upload footage in the first place.

Above opinion was if the ID claim was right. What I'll have to agree with, is that some of the claims are claiming a SINGLE second (or short segment) of a video or complete nonsensical claim such as Sega claiming a Mario video. That is total BS and I agree. No further explanation needed.

EDIT

Don't get me wrong, I hate cash-grabbing opportunities, the copyright monopoly and stuff like that. My opinion goes in accordance with the current laws; even if I don't agree with them.

one_kill

Came to post Jim Sterling's new Jimquisition, but I see others have already.

These new policies implemented are a bit frightening. It is also telling of bigger things happening with copyright, as propositions like SOPA and PIPA have been making the rounds. There's no denying, it all boils down to big corporations wanting more control over everything that we do.
Everything we do with someone else's IP

Thanks, but I don't see us doing anything special, it just seems right. End of the day we make our money from people buying our game / DLC and so forth. If someone makes a let's play of one of our games and it convinces people to go check it out then great, they deserve some form of recognition and if that's us allowing them to monetise their videos so be it. The fact that systems are being put in place to ensure that Content Creators will be given early access code in the future should be an indication of our stance on it.

Don't buy into the notion of it putting people off the game, same could be said of reviews, previews, screenshots and trailers we make ourselves. Ultimately it's up to us to make a good game.

Ultimately it's something we'll be pushing extra hard on over the coming weeks, especially over the festive period when we always see an influx in this sort of activity (lots of presents, sales and games being gifted) so I'm pushing to get something live up on one of our web spaces within the next week.

And this ladies and gentleman is a company who GETS IT!

It's not like the youtube thing ever took money AWAY from these companies, they just see another avenue for easy money.

Also RadBrad updated his tweets #FUKDAPOLICE
ZBSxFmk.png

Top Bottom