• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

orphenshadow

Neo Member
I keep seeing people come here and repeat that these people on youtube are profiting off of other peoples work.

They are not getting paid because of the content of the game.

They are getting paid because people care about their opinions on the game. Their commentary, the production value that they put into it, the hours a week it takes to rehearse, record, edit, and upload videos.

Giving commentary, walkthroughs, tips, reviews, and opinions on any form of media is fair use.

Selling advertisements in a magazine that shows screenshots and offers previews and reviews is no different than putting advertisements on a youtube channel that does the same.

I'm sick and tired of Youtube. Ever since the Google buyout, the services, performance, and functionality has been going down hill. Google ruined Youtube.

What are the alternatives? I want to start throwing as many views their way so Youtube gets competition.

Yes, lets all switch because all other sites except for YouTube are immune to takedown requests

On the other hand, it does mean a more "level" playing field in a twisted sort of way. Now everyone has to go through the same crappy process!
True, but that will mean that quality and amount of good videos from our fav yt players will go down.
Because specially when you have A LOT of videos say 1000's you will spend HOURS a day going to trough that process OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
Time you work "normally" spend making content.

That is why you had a parter to take care of that stuff for you.

Enco

:lol at the people who support this.

You have to be fucking bitter as hell. You're stuck working 9-5 so you're happy that someone doing what they enjoy is going to lose their job? That's what it sounds like.

In no world is this going to benefit anyone.

On the other hand, it does mean a more "level" playing field in a twisted sort of way. Now everyone has to go through the same crappy process!

That's one way to look at it I guess. There are a lot of smallish channels I've seen use copyrighted music in their videos and gotten lots of subs and views from those videos that I'd like to see get penalised a bit because they seem to be dodging some of this stuff (It appears that way to me anyway) because they're smaller channels and sort of sneaking passed the watchful eye

It also means people have to get a bit more creative with their videos because they actually have to talk about the games now and not just talk over them while playing. Though I have been guilty of this a good few times

besada

Banned
Then this shit should be written down properly or labelled for everyone to see rather than people left wondering "Am I ok? is this fair use?"

I'm not very good with that legal stuff so I'd like to know a bit more on where I stand

You can find details on fair use all over the web. In addition, if you're a member of a creative guild, that guild will likely have sent you information on fair use.

The thing to remember is that fair use is a defense against copyright violation. Looking at fair use as a way to determine what you can get away with is dangerous, because ultimately fair use is always decided by a specific court about a specific copyright violation. There is no cut-and-dry example to display to anyone.

If you create a derivative work (or what you think is a transformative work) the copyright holder can sue you and you have to show that your work either isn't based on the original work, or that it fits within fair use.

Frankly, most people in the thread would be helped by understanding basic copyright and what it provides an owner of a work. It's not just protection from plagiarism. It includes the right to distribute and control who can distribute the work, who can perform a work publicly, etc.

I keep seeing people come here and repeat that these people on youtube are profiting off of other peoples work.

They are not getting paid because of the content of the game.

They are getting paid because people care about their opinions on the game. Their commentary, the production value that they put into it, the hours a week it takes to rehearse, record, edit, and upload videos.

Giving commentary, walkthroughs, tips, reviews, and opinions on any form of media is fair use.

Selling advertisements in a magazine that shows screenshots and offers previews and reviews is no different than putting advertisements on a youtube channel that does the same.

Dude it's easy. Anyone could start a channel and get 1 million + subs.

sd28821

The Problem is also how youtube flags videos. Even videos from publishers that are completely fine with monetisation are getting flagged.

It's been an issue for non gaming content as well.

The way the automatic bots on youtube work is completely broken.

yep its the only real problem i have with this at the moment

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Qx7fNpz.jpg

The Lamp

It is most definitely not the same. Did you upload the track with yourself talking over it? With yourself on camera discussing a scene-by-scene account of what's happening? Providing analysis and giving opinion? Nope. For the most part, these Let's Play channels, or any partially gaming related channel are projecting themselves out to their audiences, many of their followers are there for THEM and their personalities, opinions etc etc.

Uploading a song to YouTube by your definition would be like distributing the entirety of the game for free for others to play.

By uploading a song I think he means uploading one of his covers, in which case yes, he's on camera, doing his own content.

NiNTENDOMiNATiON

@TiLMEN: Haha...now i got a claim for my #Zelda #WindWakerHd video review...and i have a contract!!! Counter Notifications incommiiiing u bitches

TheD

The Detective
Is it so hard to understand this affects all gaming content, not just let's plays? It's the same no matter what you do. The bots flag everything they find.
Yeah,
I have no idea why it is so hard for people to understand that it is not just damn let's plays that this hits.
I guess it just shows how lots people will ignore what is in fact happening due to getting sold on an idea that this will hurt something they dislike.

You have to be fucking bitter as hell. You're stuck working 9-5 so you're happy that someone doing what they enjoy is going to lose their job? That's what it sounds like.

We aren't bitter. We just understand copyright law and realize that these companies are well within their rights to do what they're doing.

KarmaCow

Goddamn it this is going to be massacre.

I am only going to upload Valve games and Devolver and indie games for that matter. Since they don't mind it.

Neither Capcom or Microsoft was claiming the video content, but the bot still shot first by flagging because some other company claimed it had the rights.

It's basically a similar problem with the Persona fiasco a few months back but now Youtube/Google is the one spearheading it instead of simply reacting to a individual claim.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Oh cool, all content monetized is going to be stuffed with pr bullshit now. Killing off the opinions that matter by cutting off the money. I hope this isn't as bad as it seems, a lot of you guys seem to not realize that tens of thousands of people could lose their homes, and have no way to feed their family. This is a sad thing.

I don't understand what whoever is doing the strikes is looking to accomplish.. Just from Total Biscuit alone I've purchased 20+ games off of steam. They're going to be losing money.. Just look at minecraft, it would have never, ever been as popular as it is today without YouTube and the content creators.

Cuyejo

Nobody is bitter, this was just bound to happen, laws are pretty clear, now that it is actually happening people are acting as if this is the apocalypse.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
We aren't bitter. We just understand copyright law and realize that these companies are well within their rights to do what they're doing.

Then you also should be capable of understanding the difference between supporting something because it's legal, and supporting something because it's right.

Orayn

Oh cool, all content monetized is going to be stuffed with pr bullshit now. Killing off the opinions that matter by cutting off the money. I hope this isn't as bad as it seems, a lot of you guys seem to not realize that tens of thousands of people could lose their homes, and have no way to feed their family. This is a sad thing.

I don't understand what whoever is doing the strikes is looking to accomplish.. Just from Total Biscuit alone I've purchased 20+ games off of steam. They're going to be losing money.. Just look at minecraft, it would have never, ever been as popular as it is today without YouTube and the content creators.

They're not coming from a human looking for matches, they're coming from YouTube's automated systems. In fact, that's part of what makes this whole thing such a pain.

Fox Mulder

Can't have nice things, even if it's free publicity.

there's more to the popular channels than straight game footage or anyone would have a million subs. I watch lets plays for the commentary and personalities. I got back into retro collecting because of stuff like classic game room and game sack, which would be a shame to lose.

I think these people deserve money for the real effort it takes to produce and edit videos.

kinggroin

Banned
Then you also should be capable of understanding the difference between supporting something because it's legal, and supporting something because it's right.

Being right without being legal means jack shit.

The fight needs to happen that makes what you believe is right, to also be what is legal.

They're not coming from a human looking for matches, they're coming from YouTube's automated systems. In fact, that's part of what makes this whole thing such a pain.

Quit Ironic on Google's behalf that doing all this automated bullshit, to make things easier, and not actually looking into what gets flagged or not causes more problems for them down the road. Youtube has got to be the most mismanaged website on the internet.

Could someone please explain to me how, as a viewer, this will effect, say, me watching a Let's Play video or something? I'm somewhat confused regarding this ContentID thing.

Well it cripples his channel when it comes to money. Not when it comes to being able to watch his content. He is just going to make a stand and not post any videos... and either this gets fixed, or it doesn't. Then he has to decide... will he do this anymore... or not.

Plasmid

I don't get why companies do this. Let's play and other videos are big points for people in the modern world to get a feel for a product they enjoy. I don't know many people that buy an older game without looking at some youtube gameplay videos. This will inevitably hurt publishers PR and make them look like greedy fat cats.

MADGAME

... a lot of you guys seem to not realize that tens of thousands of people could lose their homes, and have no way to feed their family.

So if I own an IP of any sort, someone else should be able to use it and profit from it without my permission/giving me royalties because "that's how they make money"?

If you owned the IP would you be singing the same tune? What if royalites are how you "fed your family"

Get real man.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Yeah, I was more referring to the people who made the automated bots the way they are.

Scotch

So people like PewDiePoop will no longer make millions of dollars? I'm okay with this.

There will always be people willing to do let's plays for free, and the proper channels like Giant Bomb will have deals with the publishers anyway.

I understand that. So I understand that making money off someone's intellectual property that you didn't create, don't own and have no rights to use, isn't right.

zakislam

theRadBrad's part 1 video that got content ID striked got over a million views. That's a lot of revenue and future revenue for him basically gone.

Orayn

Update on radbrad's tweets:

0efbf01e95141f3d8ce105d7c12ac5c2.png

Did a little reading on this: Apparently IDOL and Merlin Phonophile are groups involved in the distribution of music, which means they probably have entries in the big YouTube database that triggered the content ID.

Yeah, I was more referring to the people who made the automated bots the way they are.

Google, and they do it because there could be very severe consequences for them if they didn't make an effort to identify copyrighted content.

besada

Banned
I'd like to point out that if people don't like how U.S. copyright laws work, you should be talking to your political representatives. Copyright law is determined by the legislative branch in the U.S. There are many things wrong with it, including the use of the DMCA to patrol copyright in a semi-automated fashion, and "in perpetuity" copyright extensions for big, shitty companies that wreck the entire point of copyright.

Complaining to YouTube, who has to follow the law laid down by the DMCA, misses the point. Although if Google isn't living up to its obligations under Title II the DMCA, they could certainly be sued. Google is in a weird spot, though. They're obliged by law to remove access to content if a DMCA notice has been filed. Otherwise, they're responsible for all infringement on their network. This was intended to provide an out for online service providers -- networks where people uploaded content -- but it's turned into a nightmare. Google isn't particularly happy about it, either. In a New Zealand filing, they noted that more than 50% of takedown notices came from competing businesses.

But we're talking about lawsuits here, not complaining in a loud voice. Twitter campaigns might get companies to change their opinions, but they don't get the government to change laws.

Well it cripples his channel when it comes to money. Not when it comes to being able to watch his content. He is just going to make a stand and not post any videos... and either this gets fixed, or it doesn't. Then he has to decide... will he do this anymore... or not.

I thought all that was pretty much a given

"Damn..." as in he actually has to consider his job for the first time in a while and he's one of the heavy hitters

zakislam

Rightly so. Shouldn't the funds etc be held until a decision is made?

Gaming companies aren't making these content ID claims, otherwise we'd see more instances of big developers/publishers showing up as the claimant.

What's happening is everyone is getting claimed by completely irrelevant companies.

YouTube must have flipped a switch or something.

I support the companies in it. I dont think video games should get special treatment and if you're using someone elses work to make your product, that person deserves a cut of your profit. Without the video games no one would watch these guys in the first place.

Top Bottom