• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

maynerd

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
If Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy were released last week, no one would have bought Solomon's Key. Would you really want to have that on your conscience?

Is solomon's key worth getting?

Gigglepoo

maynerd said:
Is solomon's key worth getting?

From one Frank Gore fan to another - Yes! For the love of God! The most underrated game I have ever played. I will scoop this up sometime next year when I need a new game. So good. The second best game on the VC now (behind the immortal Legend of Zelda).

Deku

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
If Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy were released last week, no one would have bought Solomon's Key. Would you really want to have that on your conscience?

On the plus side I think third parties appreciate their games getting a week or so of exposure before next week's big release comes out. If 3rd parties are happy, there will be more VC games to be had.

And Nintendo certainly could have hogged a larger share of the VC piece had they released Mario World, Mario 3, Zelda 3, Super Metroid or any number of other must have classic titles in their library.

Still though, a nicer more well rounded list would have been nice. Entries from Konami and Capcom are notciably missing in the NA vc launch list. perhaps the games just won't be ready in time until Dec 2 or perhaps Konami and Capcom refuses to let foreigners play their VC before their own citizens? who knows.

charlequin said:
Right, but that's the wrong way to think about it. What matters to Nintendo (for all releases) and third-parties (for whatever games they put up on VC) is sales. And big games like FF, Zelda, etc. will sell equally well no matter when they're released, while lesser games will do better when given a week to stand alone. This way is going to increase overall sales of many titles and therefore likely increase third parties' interest in putting games on VC.

so just out of curiosity, wouldn't a special "Games of the Week" section every monday or something like that still accomplish the task of giving games their time to shine, while pleasing the people who know exactly what they want from the beginning?

I guess another thing is that I'm not seeing that there's a huge development effort required in getting most games onto the VC. Emulating an NES game and not adding any new features to the game doesn't seem like it'd be a huge development risk, so needing big sales right off the bat as if they were releasing a retail game is a bit strange to me.

I really think they should release the European Genesis (Mega Drive) version of Zero Wing. A ton of people would buy it just to hear the "All your base" speech.

soul creator said:
so just out of curiosity, wouldn't a special "Games of the Week" section every monday or something like that still accomplish the task of giving games their time to shine, while pleasing the people who know exactly what they want from the beginning?

It'd be helpful, but no, not to the same degree. The big issue is that games are constantly being released across numerous different platforms. If gamers want to keep up with all of them, they've got to budget for the releases they're interested in. If a game can't squeeze into the budget, a lot of the time it gets forgotten completely as new desirable games come out to use up the buyer's current budget.

With new releases every week, you'll see a lot of people looking to see what's new and buying it on impulse -- or people who buy a $20 wii points card each month and spend it over the next few weeks on new releases, or whatever.

You can tell me that it's irrational, and I'll agree with you, but it's how people happen to work. Those who want to dive right in and have whatever weird thing they're looking for already available will be taken care of by like 2009, so.

I guess another thing is that I'm not seeing that there's a huge development effort required in getting most games onto the VC.

It's not just a matter of straight-up development effort, but also of opportunity cost. Putting games on VC may mean not putting them on XBLA/PSS or retro compilations, or different royalty rates for doing so, or whatever. If VC dumped everything in the first day and that resulted in crappy or zero sales for many games, and those same companies held off on XBLA releases to put the games on VC, those developers would be pretty unhappy.

Gigglepoo

Kevar said:
Actually, incorrect, I believe. It's $25 for 2000 Wii points at Gamestop, so that's $5 markup.

The MSRP for 2000 Wii Points is $20. This is true if you buy it in store or online. If you see it cheaper like the Circuit City sale last week, you should jump on it. If it's more expensive, kick someone in the knees.

SuperPac

Kevar said:
Actually, incorrect, I believe. It's $25 for 2000 Wii points at Gamestop, so that's $5 markup.

Then your Gamestop is ripping you off, because it's $19.99 at their .com and everywhere else...

For a while there Best Buy was selling the 1600 MS points for $24.99 and THAT was a huge rip-off.

Leonsito

SuperPac said:
Then your Gamestop is ripping you off, because it's $19.99 at their .com and everywhere else...

For a while there Best Buy was selling the 1600 MS points for $24.99 and THAT was a huge rip-off.

Tarjeta de puntos (Points Card) 24,95€

24.95 EUR Euro = 32.7605 USD United States Dollars

Yay!

Gigglepoo

Leonsito said:
Tarjeta de puntos (Points Card) 24,95€

24.95 EUR Euro = 32.7605 USD United States Dollars

Yay!

Can you use American Point Cards? I'd gladly help out some poor Euros if it will work.

Chemo

TRU has Wii Points cards in their stores for $24.99, I saw them over the holiday. Might have been an error, but I was planning on buying points that day anyway and figured I'd buy the card until I saw the five dollar markup.

charlequin said:
It'd be helpful, but no, not to the same degree. The big issue is that games are constantly being released across numerous different platforms. If gamers want to keep up with all of them, they've got to budget for the releases they're interested in. If a game can't squeeze into the budget, a lot of the time it gets forgotten completely as new desirable games come out to use up the buyer's current budget.

With new releases every week, you'll see a lot of people looking to see what's new and buying it on impulse -- or people who buy a $20 wii points card each month and spend it over the next few weeks on new releases, or whatever.

You can tell me that it's irrational, and I'll agree with you, but it's how people happen to work. Those who want to dive right in and have whatever weird thing they're looking for already available will be taken care of by like 2009, so.

It's not just a matter of straight-up development effort, but also of opportunity cost. Putting games on VC may mean not putting them on XBLA/PSS or retro compilations, or different royalty rates for doing so, or whatever. If VC dumped everything in the first day and that resulted in crappy or zero sales for many games, and those same companies held off on XBLA releases to put the games on VC, those developers would be pretty unhappy.

I guess that's why I don't get it :lol

Seriously though, I guess I'm just projecting my personal buying habits. I suppose I just figured more VC users would be similar to me. The idea of someone having to budget for old NES/SNES games is kinda strange to me (which I guess is another argument against the somewhat high pricing levels), since it seems like they would all be impulse purchases for someone on a nostalgia kick, not competing with retail releases. Their primary time to shine was years ago when the games were first released, and downloads now would be "gravy" so to speak.

As far as your last paragraph, I could sorta see that for third parties...but I doubt we'd see Nintendo games on XBLA/PSS so all the contract/legal issues shouldn't apply to them :p

But anyways, like you said, I guess the initial idea I had of the wii having "ultimate backwards compatibility" is gonna have to be delayed for a few years...
in the meantime, ebay ftw

I agree that, all other things being equal, they've sold more copies of Solomon's Key than they would have if there were a hundred games at launch.

However, that's all other things being equal. Which they most certainly would not be.

I absolutely disagree with the notion that what they're doing now is best for business and that the alternative proposal of just getting everything online is some kind of unreachable gamer pipe dream.

Quite to the contrary: from a business standpoint, they absolutely should get as much of the catalog as possible online as fast as possible. Video games are music tracks are books; it works for iTunes and it works for Amazon and it will work for Nintendo.

There is effectively zero risk involved. Risk is why retail game releases are spread out. There can only be a few games out at once because they need to make a certain amount of money back on each. With Virtual Console, what would happen if Solomon's Key sold zero copies? Zero copies. I'll tell you: nothing. Nothing bad would happen. In fact, Tecmo would probably be happier with a catalog-dump approach to VC, because right now they'd have sold a few thousand copies each of every Ninja Gaiden game, not to mention Tecmo Bowl.

Eventually, Wii won't be sold out everywhere, and Nintendo will have to actively attempt to move more units. By putting a broad and deep catalog of content online as soon as possible, they can only attract more users and sooner.

Read more.

robot

SuperPac said:

Bestbuy was selling wii cards for $22.99 when the system came out, not sure if the price has gone down. Such a ripoff.

Baker

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

Gigglepoo said:
From one Frank Gore fan to another - Yes! For the love of God! The most underrated game I have ever played. I will scoop this up sometime next year when I need a new game. So good. The second best game on the VC now (behind the immortal Legend of Zelda).

You just negated yourself.

You can't use the argument that no one will buy games if there's too many and then say you're waiting until next year to buy said game.

If those games all came out at once, why can't other people wait to buy some of them also?

Leonsito

Gigglepoo said:
Can you use American Point Cards? I'd gladly help out some poor Euros if it will work.

I don't hink we are gonna be able to, I think that Wii systems can only used credit cards that matches the country in the configuration, to be honest I'm not sure about this Wii Points thing :D

maynerd

Banned
perplexcity said:

You can't use the argument that no one will buy games if there's too many and then say you're waiting until next year to buy said game.

If those games all came out at once, why can't other people wait to buy some of them also?

Not only that he thinks I'm a Gore fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I lost a bet...#*$(&#$ 49ers!

Gigglepoo

perplexcity said:

Very true

However, we're talking about a very small sample of games now. If there were 100 games available, people would download the BIG titles but the games they don't know, the games they ignored 20 years ago, would still be ignored. I really don't think people would care about Solomon's Key if it was just one of a hundred titles on the VC. I'm not a business person, though, so I have no idea. I just hope they add some online play in Super Mario Kart.

and while I'm complaining, add some sort of timed demo feature for every game. Like 5-10 minutes or something. For most 8/16-bit games, that's more than enough time to judge if you want to keep it or not. That would do more for game sales than spacing out releases, imo.

AniHawk

Roland Stiles said:
If you buy Wii Point cards at retail you have to pay sales tax, and that makes it more expensive than online--where there is no tax.

There's no tax on it in stores.

shit, lemme get my receipt.

Chemo

Roland Stiles said:
If you buy Wii Point cards at retail you have to pay sales tax, and that makes it more expensive than online--where there is no tax.
I like to think of the tax as a "save yourself from entering every god damned bit of billing information every time you want to buy points" fee.

Roland Stiles said:

actually, there is tax when you buy points through the Wii. Dunno if it differs depending on location though...that's possibly why they ask you to put in a County when filling out credit card information. Although it does seem weird to be taxed for something as "fake" as points...

maynerd

Banned
soul creator said:
and while I'm complaining, add some sort of timed demo feature for every game. Like 5-10 minutes or something. For most 8/16-bit games, that's more than enough time to judge if you want to keep it or not. That would do more for game sales than spacing out releases, imo.

Yes they definately need demos.

AniHawk

Nope! No tax on Wii Points! At least, not at Gamestop.

It's the same as those marketplace points, or the time cards for WoW.

BuddyC

I live in Indiana, I got charged tax when I bought my 1000 points via the Wii. That's 60 cents right into the state's pocket.

Unison

Kobun Heat said:
I agree that, all other things being equal, they've sold more copies of Solomon's Key than they would have if there were a hundred games at launch.

However, that's all other things being equal. Which they most certainly would not be.

I absolutely disagree with the notion that what they're doing now is best for business and that the alternative proposal of just getting everything online is some kind of unreachable gamer pipe dream.

Quite to the contrary: from a business standpoint, they absolutely should get as much of the catalog as possible online as fast as possible. Video games are music tracks are books; it works for iTunes and it works for Amazon and it will work for Nintendo.

There is effectively zero risk involved. Risk is why retail game releases are spread out. There can only be a few games out at once because they need to make a certain amount of money back on each. With Virtual Console, what would happen if Solomon's Key sold zero copies? Zero copies. I'll tell you: nothing. Nothing bad would happen. In fact, Tecmo would probably be happier with a catalog-dump approach to VC, because right now they'd have sold a few thousand copies each of every Ninja Gaiden game, not to mention Tecmo Bowl.

Eventually, Wii won't be sold out everywhere, and Nintendo will have to actively attempt to move more units. By putting a broad and deep catalog of content online as soon as possible, they can only attract more users and sooner.

Read more.

But isn't the bigger concern at the moment that not every 3rd party is on board yet for VC releases? If Nintendo can post huge numbers for not only huge titles but also niche titles, won't that motivate more 3rd parties to put their stuff on VC?

Also, I think that while each week's releases generate a lot of excitement (as they do now), it makes to release the games in this fashion. Now, if the Wii userbase was already > 10 million, throwing everything out there might be a better option, but right now there are fewer than 2 million Wiis being used and there's plenty of incentive for that user base to grow regardless of VC. Why not wait until the userbase is bigger to drop the bomb of a huge catalog?

Unison said:
But isn't the bigger concern at the moment that not every 3rd party is on board yet for VC releases? If Nintendo can post huge numbers for not only huge titles but also niche titles, won't that motivate more 3rd parties to put their stuff on VC?

Not at all. If they opened it up to as much content as possible right off the bat, that would be even more appealing to third parties, as they wouldn't have to make the case for why one of their titles should be slotted into that miniscule little ten-games-a-month allotment.

Also, what third parties aren't on board yet? They showed a pretty extensive list of content partners for Japan.

Why not wait until the userbase is bigger to drop the bomb of a huge catalog?
Why not use the incentive of a huge catalog to grow the user base?

Pellham

Banned
BuddyC said:
Yup. Much like sales tax itself, online tax varies state-by-state as it's decided by the state, not national, government.

fcking texas. they didn't have universal online tax a year or two ago IIRC since i remember happily purchasing plenty of things online without getting taxed for it unless the business happened to be located in texas.

" MC-NINTENDO WII POINTS 800-255-3700 -$10.83"

*shakes fist*

also, the reason I mentioned the County earlier is because I noticed this is actually the normal 8.25% sales tax I normally pay for things here (cedar hill, near dallas, tx.). Arlington, about 20 minutes away in a different county, has a 7.25% tax.

So does that mean the county is actually getting money for online purchases? wha?

Top Bottom