• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Netflix marvel series which is the best?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am on season 2 of Daredevil about 4 episodes in and holy hell is it good.

I haven't even touched the other series yet, but I want to get into them all.

what order to I tackle them in?

and what would you say are the best and obviously I hear Iron fist is the worse.

how does the Punisher series rate amongst all the others?

edit update and off topic maybe but:

I hope they continue to remain on Netflix (I can't see them being taken off the service)

also now the Fox deal is done, I wonder if somehow they will cross over to tine MCU other pop in or something?

shpankey

not an idiot
For me, Daredevil by far, and Season 2 in particular. It was really engrossing and didn't have many lulz where my interest starts to wain. Some shows it feels like a chore on occasion.

I like Iron Fist next (much better than the hate), then Jessica Jones then Luke Cage. Started Punisher but couldn't even get through the 1st episode (yet)

EDIT: now that I've watched all of Punisher...

Daredevil S2
Daredevil S1
Iron Fist
Punisher
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
everything else

kunonabi

I'd probably still give to Luke Cage. I enjoyed the bits everyone else hated outside of the final fight.

Daredevil season 1 would probably be 2nd.

I'd probably put JJ 3rd now. DDS2's lows are far more of a chore to get through on rewatches which drops it to 4th.

Iron Fist would be 5th. It's absolutely mediocre without any real highs outside of the brother but it never reaches some of the lows that the other series do.

Punisher would be 6th. Has its moments and is well made but it's a terrible interpretation of the character written by people who obviously don't like the character. If I was more an Iron Fist fan or less of a Punisher fan I might have it had 4.

Defenders would be dead last.

Rooster12

Daredevil by far.

Watching the Defenders right now and besides the character interactions the whole storyline is putting me to sleep.

Paasei

I actually quite enjoyed most of them. It's a hard pick between Iron Fast and The Defenders that I would rate the worst.

I found Daredevil and the Punisher great. I also really liked Jessica Jones, but Luke Cage a little less again.

Doesn't really go anywhere, but yeah, to each his own really. Technically they are quite good, imo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'd say Daredevil has the highest highs, but they're all poorly structured when you break it down. Way too much fluff. Iron Fist and The Defenders would be at the bottom of the pile, both being obviously rushed productions.

The Punisher was pretty strong. Was expecting them to go the obvious "Frank kills cartoonish mobsters" route and it went beyond that. Plus it probably has the strongest supporting cast of all the shows.

BibiMaghoo

I'd probably rank them like this, but DO NOT watch them in this order, use wiki or this thread and watch them in order of release.

Daredevil S1 > Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Defenders / Iron Fist / DD S2

As you can see I really was not impressed with S2 of DD. There was some cringe stuff in there and some of it ended up in Iron Fist, only to be a main plot line in Defenders. Season 1 seemed much more grounded, and I want that in my super hero stuff. The Punisher I was especially impressed with, and the only reason DD S1 takes the win is because of a better villain.

Punisher was overall very consistent unlike the others which seesaw in quality. Daredevil is pretty close but mostly because because I'm a big fan of D'Onofrio. Luke Cage started out really strong but went to shit, I hated the latter half so much I'd rank it lower than Iron Fist.

AlphaMale

I just finished The Punisher and I loved it.
I haven't watched Daredevil yet, but after reading so many good reviews on it, I might have to check it out now...

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The Punisher > Luke Cage > Iron Fist > The Defenders > Daredevil S2 > Jessica Jones > Daredevil S1 (Don't understand the love for this its unwatchable to me now...I really hate Fisk)

Joyful

Punisher or daredevil s1
Daredevil s2 was aite
Luke cage started well but fizzled after a certain point
Jessica jones is cheesy and slow but pretty fun
Iron fist is pretty bad with some interesting side characters
Defenders was actually really bad surprisingly so

LordRaptor

I still think I like Jessica Jones best.
Iron Fist is consistent all the way through, and I disagree with the hate for it.
Defenders and Daredevil S1 are also both solid all the way through (but DDS1 is much better).

Daredevil Season 2 is good for the first half, and a bit dull for the second half.

Luke Cage is decent for the first half, and utter shit for the second half.

I got bored of Punisher a few episodes in, I'll give it another go sometime when I don't have anything better to watch.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
wait elektra has shown up and the whole tone has shifted wtf. it went from insane gritty vengance series to somekind of fucked up romatic angle....

Daredevil and Luke Cage are my favorites with The Punisher close behind.

I'm really hoping that the next show they do is more weird, I just finished rewatching Legion, and its unabashed strangeness so wonderful. It might just be that I want more stuff from Noah Hawley though.

Daredevil S1 > 1st half of Luke Cage > Punisher > Jessica Jones > DD S2 > 2nd half of Luke Cage > Defenders >>>>>>>>>>> Iron Fist

Garruson

Daredevil season 1 or 2. Both exceptionally good.

I actually quite like Iron Fist. I think it got a lot of shit that Luke Cage or Jessica Jones unfairly didn't get.

I thought there were a lot of problems with both, but Iron Fist seemed to get all the criticism. But definitely Daredevil is the best, seems the most realised.

kunonabi

wait elektra has shown up and the whole tone has shifted wtf. it went from insane gritty vengance series to somekind of fucked up romatic angle....

Elektra pretty much ruins the rest of the season and Defenders. Although to be fair Defenders was a mess in every department anyway.

EYEL1NER

I'd put Jessica Jones and Punisher tied at the top of the heap. If you wanted seasons instead of a series as a whole, then I'd add put DD Season One in front of both of those but the second half of Season Two drops it the series as a whole under JJ and Punisher.

Kadayi

Banned
I think they are all ok, but I wouldn't say any of them are particularly great. One of the key issues appears to be the series length. Bar the Defenders, they are all 13 episodes long and in truth, they get a tad draggy in places. Trimming off 3 episodes a season would make for tighter plotting IMHO and they'd all be the better for it.

T.v

I actually loved DD season 2 the most. Elektra really gets a lot of hate, but I'm a sucker for these kinds of romantic angles so for me it worked. As mediocre as Defenders was, this same angle pulled me through it and the culmination was great.

I wouldn't call any of the shows bad, but none have reached the height of Daredevil. Matt is by far the mvp of this universe.

wipeout364

I actually find this thread rather interesting. I have only watched the first season of Daredevil which was good, but it is super interesting the differences in opinion about the shows. I had originally thought that iron fist, defenders and Luke cage were garbage based on opinions I had seen but it appears they have fans which gives me hope that they will be entertaining.

highrider

Banned
Punisher. The lead in Daredevil looks like a manager at Starbucks. Kind of the same with Iron Fist, like in what world is this guy some kick ass dude?
At least John Berenthal looks the part.

BibiMaghoo

Punisher. The lead in Daredevil looks like a manager at Starbucks. Kind of the same with Iron Fist, like in what world is this guy some kick ass dude?
At least John Berenthal looks the part.

Because you said this, I highly recommend you check out Charlie Cox work in Boardwalk Empire. I watched that first and appreciate the actor more for it I think.

Ptaaty

I haven't watched them all, but found DD S1 and Punisher to be my current faves. Cage just off the pace - I could argue it is "better" from a critical view, I just didn't enjoy quite as much.

JJ was OK...sometimes I really enjoyed it, but it had too much superhero/supernatural elements which IMO get a bit cheesy on the moderate budgets.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think they are all ok, but I wouldn't say any of them are particularly great. One of the key issues appears to be the series length. Bar the Defenders, they are all 13 episodes long and in truth, they get a tad draggy in places. Trimming off 3 episodes a season would make for tighter plotting IMHO and they'd all be the better for it.

See, before I thought the length was the issue too but The Defenders was 8 episodes and was a total mess. I think it's a combination of being very low budget (only saving grace being they shoot in New York), Netflix not making them edit anything down (Iron Fist really needs 13 60 min eps?), and there possibly being a mandate for it to be "binge-worthy" and tell 1 story over the course of all their episodes. I hope they do tightens things up like you said.

Kadayi

Banned
See, before I thought the length was the issue too but The Defenders was 8 episodes and was a total mess. I think it's a combination of being very low budget (only saving grace being they shoot in New York), Netflix not making them edit anything down (Iron Fist really needs 13 60 min eps?), and there possibly being a mandate for it to be "binge-worthy" and tell 1 story over the course of all their episodes. I hope they do tightens things up like you said.

I'd actually say the defender's problem was it was too short and the plotting was messy because it was rushed, a couple of extra episodes to make it a round 10 would have been a good opportunity to refocus Danny Rand, given the general mishandling of the character in Season one of Iron Fist, but instead, the writers just doubled down on the stupid. However truth be said, the whole overarching Hand storyline was kind of wack, so I'm not sure what could realistically have been done to save it.

Grinchy

Banned
Daredevil season 1 and Punisher season 1 are probably the best.

Iron Fist has an ok episode or two but is a complete mess. Luke Cage was good for like 4 episodes or so and then becomes completely unwatchable. I felt embarrassed for the actors while watching it because it's one of the worst shows I've ever finished. The Defenders is terrible, too.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Punisher's only one worth a damn. I guess because the directors worked themselves up to that point.

Melubas

With the exception of Daredevil they're pretty much all crap in my opinion. Could have been like eight episodes each and been a lot better for it. Also didn't like the writing. Luke Cage was easily the worst for me, haven't seen Iron Fist or Defenders though since I don't want to torment myself any more than necessary ^^ . Punisher had a bad start but the last few episodes were ok. Interesting that so many seem to like them though.

thequestion

The two seasons of Daredevil are easily the best. If Netflix would of combined Luke cage and Iron Fist into a heroes for hire show, that would of been the second best.

As it stands, Daredevil is the only show that can almost carry an entire season of worthwhile episodes.

finowns

The Punisher was over the top but the actor was amazing anyone else in that role would have been cheesy.

Top Bottom