• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note8 |OT| Bigger, Better, Less Flammable

I did not try the 1440p version, only the 1080 as in your post. By HDR, you're talking about the video enhancer option?

Well both don't work for me, but it's worse with the 1440p version. Not video enhancer but when you choose the quality on the YouTube app it should say "1080p60 HDR" or "1440p60 HDR".

Rizific

Anybody thinking about getting the new dbrand bumper case. So, far there is only a trailer no official release date or price. I just order a back skin for my Note 8 it should be glorious.

https://dbrand.com/grip
That was a pretty cool car commercial, but a fucking stupid phone case commercial. I guess the case is notable for its....grip? I can't tell because there are no basically no pictures or info.

NH Apache

Banned
Well both don't work for me, but it's worse with the 1440p version. Not video enhancer but when you choose the quality on the YouTube app it should say "1080p60 HDR" or "1440p60 HDR".

Weirdly, I don't get those options.

The battery on this thing has been the most surprising aspect of this phone.

And, the handwriting to text function on the Samsung Keyboard has been awesome and so much faster than typing. Incredibly accurate.

Weirdly, I don't get those options.

The battery on this thing has been the most surprising aspect of this phone.

And, the handwriting to text function on the Samsung Keyboard has been awesome and so much faster than typing. Incredibly accurate.

I had to set my resolution to high, clear my cache in my youtube app, and update the app. That seemed to get me the options, but then the phone can't seem to handle it. Maybe it wasn't meant to?

Hi,i have an unrelated question but it involves chrome on an S7 edge. Does anyone know how my favorites can show up on my chrome homepage? Even the Samsung internet browser has shortcuts, but i cant find it on chrome except by going in the menu..

gagecube

Banned
I've had this phone for about a week now, and I absolutely adore it. Today I noticed my battery is draining far more quickly than it has been over the past few days. Usually from 7am-10pm when I go to bed I end the day at 45% battery. Which is great!

Today though it's only 1:00and I'm already at like 65 percent and I haven't really done anything different. Any tips on this?

I've had this phone for about a week now, and I absolutely adore it. Today I noticed my battery is draining far more quickly than it has been over the past few days. Usually from 7am-10pm when I go to bed I end the day at 45% battery. Which is great!

Today though it's only 1:00and I'm already at like 65 percent and I haven't really done anything different. Any tips on this?

What apps are showing battery use?

gagecube

Banned
What apps are showing battery use?
It's looking like it's system and screen. I had a few that were using weird amounts of battery per hour that I put to sleep. Maybe they'll help. Screen has used 11% but I feel like I haven't even used the phone that much today

gagecube

Banned
I've also heard that it puts more strain on the phone to close apps all the time and that it's best to always leave them open, is that accurate?

Almost a month now with this phone and its probably my favorite phone ever.

Haven't really dabbled too much in customizing it. Installed Swiftkey and some other apps, but otherwise just using the standard Samsung launcher/etc.

Battery seems pretty good. I sit at a desk during the week so it's always fully charged, but on the weekends and stuff it seems fine with normal usage. The fast charging seems nice, though even the regular slow USB3 charging doesn't seem bad.

I got some $8 case off Amazon that was recommended in here and it seems to be fine. I LOOOVVVEEDDD the feel of the phone sans case, but was a little too worried about it to leave it that way. Since adding the case the Bixby accidental presses have gone down 95%. Sometimes I'll still press it when picking up the phone if I'm not looking at it and think its the power button side.

Size is fine. It doesn't feel too big really. Still a little on the TALL side, but I've gotten used to it and can typically press the fingerprint sensor right the first or second time if I need to slide my finger over a little more. If I place it on there right its super fast.

App performance is fine, good, I guess? I haven't had any issues so everything seems fine. I'm coming from a Windows Phone so a lot of these apps I didn't have access too before. All the Microsoft Apps run really well on the Note8.

All and all I am really happy with the phone and it made the transition away from the Windows Phone ecosystem super easy. It helped that I'd previously had a Note2 way back in the day so I had the basics down. Still miss the live tiles, but otherwise it's a very nice upgrade.

kmfdmpig

Hi,i have an unrelated question but it involves chrome on an S7 edge. Does anyone know how my favorites can show up on my chrome homepage? Even the Samsung internet browser has shortcuts, but i cant find it on chrome except by going in the menu..

For me, it was fairly unintuitive. In Chrome Settings set home page to "off" and then when you close all tabs you should have just a black screen with the + sign to create a new tab. Clicking plus should take you to the favorites and to recent bookmarks.

mjc

Upgraded my S6 to the Note 8 last night, and I noticed something weird. Not sure if it's normal for the phone or what, but I thought I'd check.

So when I press the power button on the right side to darken the phone, I notice for like a split second that all the colors on the screen go into a greyscale before the screen goes black. Is this normal? I'm not sure if it's a function of the OLED or if my phone is borked.

NH Apache

Banned
I've had 3 hard locks over the past 2 days. Had to hold power and down vol to restart.

2 times it happened when I was trying to lower media volume using vol key.

Anyone else had hard locks?

kmfdmpig

I've had 3 hard locks over the past 2 days. Had to hold power and down vol to restart.

I haven't, although I've only had the phone for about 2 weeks. That would happen to me sometimes with the Note 2 and Note Edge, however, although with those I'd just pull the battery and put it back in.

I actually had my first yesterday I think. Had to figure out how to hard reset it.

It wouldn't activate the screen. The always on display was showing icons and the correct time, the power button just wouldn't work.

Very odd.

Treo360

Scored a Note two days ago. That camera and ram... Big difference to me, coming from my S8+. No use for the stylus though.

Got a note. Switched from iphone. It's not provisioning. "We're in Hawaii and we think we're connecting to the East coast, we keep seeing this near closing time, it should work in a few hours."

So I just have a phone on my desk without service. (edit- worked after midnight, had to walk outside for better reception first tho)

As a person that knows nothing of samsung or android (I think my last one was HTC mogul in 2006/7), anything I should know/get? case, cover, apps, don't put this face down, or put it on o microwave, don't feed after midnight, anything?

I immediately started using Nova, as it's been my go to for years now as well. I don't notice anything lacking. You could always switch back and forth too, just until you're sure. Google Assistant and Bixby can both be active too btw. Each are activated differently. Using Google launcher MIGHT change that, but I have no experience with that launcher and can only speak to Nova.

Which I must have so I can easily do this!

Don't worry, I fixed the date widget and found a better high res version of Mr. Kilian Eng's artwork.

What's the set up you have here? I like it.

wireless charging suggestions? I want three:

-one standing
-one mat
(--or two that change from stand to mat if that's the best suggestion)
-one for car

preferably fast charge because that's a buzz word

wireless charging suggestions? I want three:

-one standing
-one mat
(--or two that change from stand to mat if that's the best suggestion)
-one for car

preferably fast charge because that's a buzz word

The one that came with the Samsung promo is a stand/mat convertible and I'm using it right now and it works fine. The model is EP-PG950. It has fast charging.

I haven't looked into car ones yet, but that would be cool to have.

One day in so far, and I'm missing my iPhone a bit. The messaging here just doesn't match up to iMessage and importing my iMessages have caused the timestamps to be incorrect and now when I message, the latest message is no longer on the bottom of the page. The iMessages imported have a timestamp year of something like 3524389.

Also, my battery life seems to be abysmal so far.

SpecX

One day in so far, and I'm missing my iPhone a bit. The messaging here just doesn't match up to iMessage and importing my iMessages have caused the timestamps to be incorrect and now when I message, the latest message is no longer on the bottom of the page. The iMessages imported have a timestamp year of something like 3524389.

Also, my battery life seems to be abysmal so far.

Not sure about the messaging piece, but you should get alerts on what's draining your battery unless you have the screen at max brightness. How bad is the battery for you so far? It could be a defect in the device if it's draining too fast.

If you go to settings and device maintenance, it will show you have efficient the device is running and gives you the optimize function to ensure you don't have excess running in the background.

Adam Blue

Coming from the S8+, battery is just not as good. But, it is a smaller battery with bigger screen. I'm just dealing with it for now. I really wanted it for the stylus, and I've been drawing all the time. At least once a day.

Doombear

Coming from the S8+, battery is just not as good. But, it is a smaller battery with bigger screen. I'm just dealing with it for now. I really wanted it for the stylus, and I've been drawing all the time. At least once a day.

Which drawing program are you using the most, if you don't mind?

What's the set up you have here? I like it.

Here is my answer to another poster that was curious. Pretty simple/basic stuff!

Super simple, really. So at the base level I use Nova Launcher Prime. I am sure you could replicate this mostly in default Touchwiz, though? I am just quite used to Nova. I use the paid version for Unread Counts (with the Tesla Unread addon) as well as Gestures, Custom App Drawers and Icon Swipes (different action depending on whether you click or swipe an icon).

Icons, and to some extent the widgets, are Pasty from Nate Wren. Also nabbed the paid version as I wanted allllllll the icons.

Widget look is from that Pasty set, but you'll actually need KWGT to use them/tweak them.

I resized the date and time widget. I pared down the 5 day forecast to just a 3 day forecast and removed a few things from that widget as well.

That is basically it. The Google Searchbar is one of the 'looks' you can apply to it in Nova. Background is Kilian Eng's 'Gunslinger's Duel'

Hope that answers your question.

SpecX

Got my promo package in yesterday, wireless charger and 128 sd card. I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a 256, but I got that last year with the Note 7, so I'm not complaining.

Fellow Note takers, I purchased my phone on the 29th of Sept am I shit out of luck on the promos?

I know the last date was the promo was the 24th. How flexible is Samsung with these dates, in your experience?

Fellow Note takers, I purchased my phone on the 29th of Sept am I shit out of luck on the promos?

I know the last date was the promo was the 24th. How flexible is Samsung with these dates, in your experience?

if your proof of purchase says it is in the valid time period and you submit it in time, you should get approved.

Kadin

Just got home with a Note 8 after having used my iPhone 6 Plus for a long, long time. Yeah okay it was just a bit over 2 years but still it's felt like forever. I forgot how much fun it was to setup a new phone.

So far I'm really liking everything and the stylus might actually prove to be useful - I figured it would just be a gimmick.

The last time I had an Android phone, rooting it was like one of the first things I looked into doing. Is that still the case these days or is it not as advantageous to do any longer? I did it mostly to remove carrier bloatware.

edit: Well I was just on XDA and I guess the previous Notes weren't able or easy to root (for AT&T anyways) and most things these days can be done without doing this. Guess I won't worry about it for now.

Wasn't there an app on older notes where you can edit photos in a more detailed manner. Like remember my note 3 letting me place photos on top of other photos and shit like that

Lgndryhr

Well I made the leap to a Note 8 yesterday. I traded in my Note 4 using an AT&T promotion. Any phone that trades in for a minimum of $20 gets a $300 trade in value towards a Samsung S8, S8+, S8 Active, or Note 8. Process was really easy and the guy I interfaced with was really cool. A bit of techie so was fun talking to him while he took care of everything.

Just got home with a Note 8 after having used my iPhone 6 Plus for a long, long time. Yeah okay it was just a bit over 2 years but still it's felt like forever. I forgot how much fun it was to setup a new phone.

So far I'm really liking everything and the stylus might actually prove to be useful - I figured it would just be a gimmick.

The last time I had an Android phone, rooting it was like one of the first things I looked into doing. Is that still the case these days or is it not as advantageous to do any longer? I did it mostly to remove carrier bloatware.

edit: Well I was just on XDA and I guess the previous Notes weren't able or easy to root (for AT&T anyways) and most things these days can be done without doing this. Guess I won't worry about it for now.

There is root available for the Note 8. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/development/root-samfail-galaxy-note8-t3685340'

Only downside is bootloader is still locked and battery cannot charge past 80%.

Had this since day 1. Great phone. Zero issues. I don't use the pen a ton but I really like using it when I'm browsing the web and catching up on all my social media stuff. It's really comfortable.

Kadin

There is root available for the Note 8. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-8/development/root-samfail-galaxy-note8-t3685340'

Only downside is bootloader is still locked and battery cannot charge past 80%.
Ah I wasn't sure if that was good for the AT&T version as well but looking closer it seems it is. I'll ask you since you might know, is there a simple way to flash the device to remove all the AT&T bloatware, that's all I'm really after. I see I can disable a lot of it so if I can't this will probably be fine, but I'd rather not have any traces of it if possible.

Treo360

Ah I wasn't sure if that was good for the AT&T version as well but looking closer it seems it is. I'll ask you since you might know, is there a simple way to flash the device to remove all the AT&T bloatware, that's all I'm really after. I see I can disable a lot of it so if I can't this will probably be fine, but I'd rather not have any traces of it if possible.

You can do so by using adb

SpecX

Been a little over a month now with this phone and still love every moment. Still performs quick and haven't had any issues minus the browser freezing a couple times.

Is there a way to have the Galaxy store apps auto update? I found it annoying a few times I went through to use an app to find out it's outdated and I need the update for some of the preloaded software. Also, I've noticed my battery drain slightly quicker since using the wireless charge instead of the cable charge. Is this normal for wireless charging or do I need to run the diagnostics to see what's new that might be draining my battery?

Kadin

Is there a way to have the Galaxy store apps auto update? I found it annoying a few times I went through to use an app to find out it's outdated and I need the update for some of the preloaded software.
Go into Galaxy Apps and click on the 3 dots in the upper right, then settings, there's an option to Auto update apps. That should be all you need to keep them up to date.

Kadin

Do you guys use Wifi Calling at all? I've got a solid internet connection here with no issues but when I use this feature I get pretty bad call quality compared to one signal bar from AT&T's cellular network here in my home.

I've used it in the past with my iPhone 6 Plus with no issues but with my Note 8 it's def not as good, but not sure why.

2real4tv

Just noticed a social folder on my phone with facebook and instagram don't remember it being there before. Was it always there and I just didn't notice? I am on Sprint.

Treo360

Anyone have the problem of trying to bring up the hidden navigation bar when texting or browsing, or what have you, and still hit the space bar,or whatever else is underneath it?

I'm at work so I can't really explain it well,but it's almost as if the navbar doesn't come up all the way.

cowboyz89

Waiting to see if theres another run of promo deals around the holidays. I have a S6 Edge right now that doesn't have any issues, but everywhere I go people are talking about how amazing this phone is.

Anyone have the problem of trying to bring up the hidden navigation bar when texting or browsing, or what have you, and still hit the space bar,or whatever else is underneath it?

I'm at work so I can't really explain it well,but it's almost as if the navbar doesn't come up all the way.

nope.

though occasionally i don't press the invisible home button hard enough.

wish there was an invisible back button...

Top Bottom