• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Note8 |OT| Bigger, Better, Less Flammable

Rizific

apparently my pre order from best buy wont come in until the 29th...yeah fuck that. cancelled and will be heading into verizon for my phone. that was my first experience with best buy and their mobile phone department and it will be the last.

Since I put a case on, and with some training, I've stopped accidentally hitting the Bixby button, at least most of the time. I still bump it if I'm picking up the phone at a weird angle, or if I'm trying to adjust volume. I think I'd prefer it to be above the volume rockers instead.

SpecX

Just got the update. In the Bixby menu there's a toggle at the top to activate/deactivate the button. I turned it off and no more accidental Bixby launching.

Just got the update. In the Bixby menu there's a toggle at the top to activate/deactivate the button. I turned it off and no more accidental Bixby launching.

I really wish they would allow us to reassign the button. Its too much phone real estate to just be rendered useless.

Also got a nice screen protector from best buy

M_A_C

Note 8 battery life

J737HPG.jpg

PqSrMhq.jpg

Coming from iPhone so I'm not sure, is this good? Streaming a lot of twitch and email and texting.

I really wish they would allow us to reassign the button. Its too much phone real estate to just be rendered useless.

Also got a nice screen protector from best buy

Which one, I think I need one?

Also whats the best way to block ads in mobile chrome? It doesn't do the normal extensions right?

http://displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note8_ShootOut_100.htm

Rated best mobile phone display ever tested. A+

My wife has one and I gotta say it looks really good. Still needs a sight bit of adjustment to match my crt imo. But there's probably some setting in there I could adjust I haven't found yet.

I really want an oled tv now.

That website though. It's like they gave crayons to a 4 year old and said go to work. Harsh on the eyes.

reKon

Banned
Note 8 battery life

Coming from iPhone so I'm not sure, is this good? Streaming a lot of twitch and email and texting.

Which one, I think I need one?

Also whats the best way to block ads in mobile chrome? It doesn't do the normal extensions right?

Did you do the same type of activity on your iPhone? I think that battery life is pretty good. You're also using the always on display which drains a bit more battery.

Gattsu25

Banned
So, how many features do you miss out on if you change the launcher to the Google one so you can use Google Now instead of Bixby when swiping left?

kmfdmpig

So, how many features do you miss out on if you change the launcher to the Google one so you can use Google Now instead of Bixby when swiping left?

Or to piggback off this - if I switch to Nova Launcher will I lose any functionality? I've been a fan of Nova for several years.

Doombear

Or to piggback off this - if I switch to Nova Launcher will I lose any functionality? I've been a fan of Nova for several years.

I immediately started using Nova, as it's been my go to for years now as well. I don't notice anything lacking. You could always switch back and forth too, just until you're sure. Google Assistant and Bixby can both be active too btw. Each are activated differently. Using Google launcher MIGHT change that, but I have no experience with that launcher and can only speak to Nova.

Which I must have so I can easily do this!

Don't worry, I fixed the date widget and found a better high res version of Mr. Kilian Eng's artwork.

Gattsu25

Banned
I immediately started using Nova, as it's been my go to for years now as well. I don't notice anything lacking. You could always switch back and forth too, just until you're sure. Google Now and Bixby can both be active too btw. Each are activated differently. Using Google launcher MIGHT change that, but I have no experience with that launcher and can only speak to Nova.

Don't worry, I fixed the date widget and found a better high res version of Mr. Kilian Eng's artwork.
Really? How does that work?

kmfdmpig

I immediately started using Nova, as it's been my go to for years now as well. I don't notice anything lacking. You could always switch back and forth too, just until you're sure. Google Now and Bixby can both be active too btw. Each are activated differently. Using Google launcher MIGHT change that, but I have no experience with that launcher and can only speak to Nova.

Thanks. That's good to hear. That homescreen looks gorgeous, by the way. Is the lightning bolt toward the bottom right a widget that shows when you're plugged in or is it something else?

Doombear

Really? How does that work?

In my limited experience so far... Bixby Button or Bixby Voice (Hi Bixby) or holding Home 'button' down / Google Assistant (OK Google). Each does their thing.

Thanks. That's good to hear. That homescreen looks gorgeous, by the way. Is the lightning bolt toward the bottom right a widget that shows when you're plugged in or is it something else?

Naw, just an icon I tossed on there. It's just my Google Translate shortcut (swipe) or Kiranico bookmark (tap) =P

kmfdmpig

In my limited experience so far... Bixby Button or Bixby Voice (Hi Bixby) or holding Home 'button' down / Google Assistant (OK Google). Each does their thing.

Naw, just an icon I tossed on there. It's just my Google Translate shortcut (swipe) or Kiranico bookmark (tap) =P

Thanks. That makes sense.
I haven't used Bixby, but in reading about it I get the sense that it's not really meant to be a Google Assistant replacement. It seems like Bixby is focused on helping with settings, apps, and actions within the phone (like an audible Tasker almost) while Google Assistant is all about going out onto the internet to gather information. Does that impression seem about right?

Doombear

Yeah that seems correct, though you can definitely ask Bixby questions and she'll just kick out web search results. So it definitely has uses in both areas.

scotcheggz

Okay..

A. how did you make your homescreen look like that Doombear?! and
B. Can we have a thread for artwork we made on our Notes? Because I'm frankly astounded what you can actually come up with just using basic art apps like the Samsung paint app on this. Corel painter is even more incredible.

I just switched from iphone to a note8 after 7 years of being an iOS user and don't miss ANYTHING. Loving it.

kmfdmpig

Yeah that seems correct, though you can definitely ask Bixby questions and she'll just kick out web search results. So it definitely has uses in both areas.

Cool. Thanks.
I've been impressed with both Alexa and Google Assistant, so I'm excited to give Bixby a try. I'd guess that in 2-3 years these types of AI helpers will be robust enough to be quite helpful.

Doombear

Okay..

A. how did you make your homescreen look like that Doombear?! and
B. Can we have a thread for artwork we made on our Notes? Because I'm frankly astounded what you can actually come up with just using basic art apps like the Samsung paint app on this. Corel painter is even more incredible.

I just switched from iphone to a note8 after 7 years of being an iOS user and don't miss ANYTHING. Loving it.

Super simple, really. So at the base level I use Nova Launcher Prime. I am sure you could replicate this mostly in default Touchwiz, though? I am just quite used to Nova. I use the paid version for Unread Counts (with the Tesla Unread addon) as well as Gestures, Custom App Drawers and Icon Swipes (different action depending on whether you click or swipe an icon).

Icons, and to some extent the widgets, are Pasty from Nate Wren. Also nabbed the paid version as I wanted allllllll the icons.

Widget look is from that Pasty set, but you'll actually need KWGT to use them/tweak them.

I resized the date and time widget. I pared down the 5 day forecast to just a 3 day forecast and removed a few things from that widget as well.

That is basically it. The Google Searchbar is one of the 'looks' you can apply to it in Nova. Background is Kilian Eng's 'Gunslinger's Duel'

Hope that answers your question.

scotcheggz

Super simple, really. So at the base level I use Nova Launcher Prime. I am sure you could replicate this mostly in default Touchwiz, though? I am just quite used to Nova. I use the paid version for Unread Counts (with the Tesla Unread addon) as well as Gestures, Custom App Drawers and Icon Swipes (different action depending on whether you click or swipe an icon).

Icons, and to some extent the widgets, are Pasty from Nate Wren. Also nabbed the paid version as I wanted allllllll the icons.

Widget look is from that Pasty set, but you'll actually need KWGT to use them/tweak them.

I resized the date and time widget. I pared down the 5 day forecast to just a 3 day forecast and removed a few things from that widget as well.

That is basically it. The Google Searchbar is one of the 'looks' you can apply to it in Nova. Background is Kilian Eng's 'Gunslinger's Duel'

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks that's awesome! I'm still getting to grips with android and frankly everything is blowing my mind right now but I'll get stuck into this tonight! Appreciate all the info man.

Pbae

I bought this phone to just tide me over until next year since the X was disappointing for me as a whole.

Holy shit. This is the best phone I had the pleasure of ever using and I LOVE MY IPHONE.
I'm keeping the iphone as a backup phone with the intention of maybe trading it in for something else later but nope. This phone feels like the future. It gave me the feeling of playing with something that seemed "New" and whatever wasn't new felt so polished and refined.

My only qualms are that the speaker is lacking and the Google Play Store in general. But, from it's components, form, and thoughtful productivity modes this is the phone to beat.

cyress8

Banned

Doombear

Yeah, I got that update last night when I opened Bixby (on purpose even!) but I am leaving it for the time being. The case I have, maybe most cases, seems to help with accidentally hitting the button. Just being able to really distinguish the buttons more has helped. We'll see if I get used to it.

Doombear

They save as gif files and can be sent as MMS I believe. So should be easy to send to anyone right? That said... I use Next SMS and have had issues with sending any that aren't quite short/small.

Thanks. That makes sense.
I haven't used Bixby, but in reading about it I get the sense that it's not really meant to be a Google Assistant replacement. It seems like Bixby is focused on helping with settings, apps, and actions within the phone (like an audible Tasker almost) while Google Assistant is all about going out onto the internet to gather information. Does that impression seem about right?

this.

you can say "Hi Bixby" *blip* "Open Samsung Health and check my heart rate" and it will go right to the check your heart rate screen or "Open Samsung Health and show my last run" and it will go right to the stats screen for your last run.

NH Apache

Banned
Been tinkering and got my case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GXWS4S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty great for 8 bucks. Like a leather back, if you're looking for that note 3 game.

The personalize sound option under Adapt Sound is really amazing. Using the headphones for a feaux hearing test. It supplants where you cannot hear as well and it's made a big difference so far in call quality and music.

Battery has been solid so far. I'm noticing the ram a fair amount. Very few apps reload.

Anyone use the Dex station?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone used the BOGO offer that T-Mobile has? Thinking about doing it, so I can get phones for my Dad and Mom, but I don't really need the extra two lines for three months (would probably cost me 160 total for three months after taxes for the two extra lines before I could drop them). What I am hoping to do is take two of the existing three numbers/lines on my family account, transfer the numbers to the new lines, and then drop the old lines. Not sure if it's possible though. Where would be the best place to sell the fourth Note that I don't need and not get scammed? I'd list it at $850-875 since it's technically "pre-owned" although I wouldn't even unbox it.

M_A_C

Did you do the same type of activity on your iPhone? I think that battery life is pretty good. You're also using the always on display which drains a bit more battery.

I think the iphone 7 might be better... and damn I miss imessage.

SpecX

Yeah, I got that update last night when I opened Bixby (on purpose even!) but I am leaving it for the time being. The case I have, maybe most cases, seems to help with accidentally hitting the button. Just being able to really distinguish the buttons more has helped. We'll see if I get used to it.

My case put ridges on the Bixby button which definitely helps. Samsung should have placed it above the volume buttons if it had to be on the phone, but ultimately I want to have it mapped to use Google Assistant without all the tricks.

Has anyone used the BOGO offer that T-Mobile has? Thinking about doing it, so I can get phones for my Dad and Mom, but I don't really need the extra two lines for three months (would probably cost me 160 total for three months after taxes for the two extra lines before I could drop them). What I am hoping to do is take two of the existing three numbers/lines on my family account, transfer the numbers to the new lines, and then drop the old lines. Not sure if it's possible though. Where would be the best place to sell the fourth Note that I don't need and not get scammed? I'd list it at $850-875 since it's technically "pre-owned" although I wouldn't even unbox it.

The wife did this. We were told that you open a 3rd line to get the deal. But you only need to keep it until you get the prepaid visa card, which is like 2 months I think. So, $120ish. You still have to do the $210? down payment and pay whatever the monthly equipment fee is for 2 months. $35x2?

So, all told you are paying around $400 before you get the prepaid card which is whatever the full phone price is, $930 or something.

This is how the rep explained it to me anyway. So if you sell the phone for $850 and get the prepaid card of $930 you are getting a Note 8 for just under half off. It sounded like the way to go.

Plus we get the pre-order bonus for each phone.

This is assuming what the rep told us is legit.

No idea where the best place to sell the extra note would be.

kirblar

The wife did this. We were told that you open a 3rd line to get the deal. But you only need to keep it until you get the prepaid visa card, which is like 2 months I think. So, $120ish. You still have to do the $210? down payment and pay whatever the monthly equipment fee is for 2 months. $35x2?

So, all told you are paying around $400 before you get the prepaid card which is whatever the full phone price is, $930 or something.

This is how the rep explained it to me anyway. So if you sell the phone for $850 and get the prepaid card of $930 you are getting a Note 8 for just under half off. It sounded like the way to go.

Yup, just make sure the phone is used (barely) on the line, download some data, make a call, etc. Once you get the prepaid card, pay it off, then cancel the line. Swappa.com seems to be people's go-to for selling the phone nowadays.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

Yup, just make sure the phone is used (barely) on the line, download some data, make a call, etc. Once you get the prepaid card, pay it off, then cancel the line. Swappa.com seems to be people's go-to for selling the phone nowadays.

Thanks guys. I got quoted four months per new line at an extra 40 dollars a line at my local T-Mo store (also I need to switch from Simple Choice to ONE, although the ONE plan is cheaper than Simple Choice for unlimited data on all lines (don't know how T-Mo makes money honestly)). I will check the price at the phone kiosk at Costco and see if it's cheaper to get the BOGO deal there.

Still makes financial sense, I think, as I will be paying in full for one phone, getting the second of the three phones I will be keeping (for my mom) for free and then the third of the three phones (keeping this for my dad) for several hundred dollars off (after totaling all the fees for the new lines and subtracting the cash card). The fourth phone I don't need I will sell on Swappa, and hopefully I can get a good price for the unused phone there (thanks for that tip!)

Annoying that I have to pay an additional $25 dollar activation fee per line and $20 set up fee per phone, in an addition to the $40 fee per line per month. I will of course be dropping the new lines immediately after the four month period is over. Also annoys me that I just can't pay off the phones in one lump payment. First payment has to be on installment (I wonder if there are any additional fees for the installment plan).

Still, not a bad deal and definitely the best of all the deals I've seen for the Note 8 so far.

I'm about 3 days in with this bad boy and it's easily the best phone I've ever used. I now get all the Note hype from years back that I never understood. I'm coming from an S8+ and prior to that a Pixel XL so I feel I have a good bead on flagship Androids (also used all the flagship windows phones and my last iPhone was a 6S+) and in summary the stylus is a true game changer. I find myself taking notes, poking around in Excel and word it's just so much more precise than using my day greasy finger.

I sideloaded the Pixel launcher which was unusable on the S8+ but that 6gb's of RAM really just makes it all so smooth and lag free.
So far so good and still looking forward to my free 360 camera.

nm3th

I'm using nova and haven't seen any missing features. My original plan was to stick with the stock launcher, but I miss the swipe icon action in nova too much.

catmincer

I really want to upgrade from my LG V20 to this. Mainly for the camera cause the LG one sucks.

Fake edit: I went and played in a store. It's way too big for my hands even coming from a V20. :(

Top Bottom