• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch won't have Streetpass or Miiverse

LayLa

loved streetpass, 20 years from now I'll find my 3DS in the back of a cupboard, find some way of charging it up and then carry it around for a while in the forlorn hope that I'll get to see that green light flash again. looking forward to it!

Regiruler

I'm pretty neutral on this, but since when did anyone on here care about Miiverse? Never heard it mentioned positively on GAF outside of the "water" guy.

It's great for finding some really obscure things that you can't find elsewhere on the internet except for 2 dudes on gamefaqs. Neogaf is not perfect, and admittedly it's format kinda sucks in terms of looking for information when everything shares space.

CTLance

Awwwwwww.

I like streetpass. I mean, I barely get any streetpasses on my usual days, but the occasional big catch when my work takes me near a school or through the inner city is nice. It's a neat added value, and "meeting" people from across the world in the local main McD's or near the airport is just.... interesting. And meeting fellow hunters in MonHan or other such functionality is always appreciated.

Miiverse is so-so, but still a cute time waster on occasion. Not often, but it happens.

I mean, I'm currently hugely negative on switch, but even if I get one eventually, I'm gonna miss those two features. And don't kid around with the fucking smartphone app as a replacement. That thing can fuck right off. I'm not gonna put down my handheld just to play around on my ancient mobile phone. That's just ass-backwards, dammit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Killing Miiverse is a genuine surprise and I think personally a bad call. Some may scorn it but it fit well with Nintendo's character.

I'm starting to suspect that what we're seeing is a downside to Kimishima, whose focus is as a pure businessman. Paid online for less features than the Wii U (less so far) comes across as Nintendo not wanting to give absolutely anything away, including the most minimal of server maintenance costs. Killing off creativity-focused ideas like Miiverse in favor of simply relying on people using their smartphones for the most mundane functions, eh, it doesn't feel like something Iwata would have gone for.

People wanted a different Nintendo, but change isn't always positive.

Shiggy

The first good news probably. Locking content behind Streetpass on 3DS was more than annoying.

While I'm also not a fan of Miiverse,. I'm surprised that is also absent.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There is no reason that these features cannot eventually be folded into the online service smart app. They were both good ideas.

Hasney

I kind of expected that considering the insider rumors I kept hearing and the lack of them in spec docs. I wonder what's replacing them.

I doubt anything. I'm really beginning to think that the less user generated content there is, the more secure they can keep it in Nintendos eyes. I'm beginning to believe the conspiracy theorists that say there will be no browser.

Sophia

Streetpass I can understand. It's usefulness was limited, especially if you didn't live in a big city.

No Miiverse is surprising, however. I thought that was one of the better ideas they had on the Wii U, and they even ported it over to the 3DS.... : \

NimbusD

Kind of a bummer but I understand why.
Please explain.

Honestly makes no sense. Especially with the share button and paying for online.

Street pass tho I maybe could understand... Idk they managed a decent low power mode on 3ds. Just makes me worried they're not actually going to fully take advantage of any feature of this console like it's a jack of all trades, master of none. They ain't giving it any of the benefits of portables.

Hoping that they have these functionalities just repackaged as a different service.

OBias

I stopped caring about Miiverse pretty quickly, but StreetPass is nice to have. Thanks to it, I found some 3DS users at my job, that was cool.

I can see them adding something similar to streetpass in a system update once 3DS dies down and more of their traditionally handheld properties make the jump.

I've been permabanned from miiverse for years ever since I had some friends over and they got on there while I was asleep and drew a bunch of stick figure pictures of Link and Zelda fucking sooooo...whatever.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I never cared about either, but sucks for those that liked them.

Mr Swine

Banned
Guess they don't want Miiverse or Streetpass hog up necessary memory and CPU resources or they don't want it to use up that much juice?

_h8bit

Banned
Why? Do share your insights.

As far as Miiverse goes, the trend that PS4 and Xbox have set is just making it easy to share to existing social networks like Twitter and Facebook, instead of trying to maintain your own proprietary one. That's a lot of work, moderation and maintenance and it totally makes sense to offload it to where everyone already is anyway.

Streetpass is the one I mourn the most (I love going to PAX and checking my Plaza when I need to take a rest from walking around). But unlike the 3DS, the Switch isn't something that's as easy to take out and check. I'll be using a carrying case for mine to protect that nice screen but it also means I'm not going to be using it as often or maybe in the same way as I am with my 3DS. While the 3DS didn't have a particularly great battery life, it's still better than the Switch and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor as well.

Falchion

What a shame. Streetpass was the best part of the 3DS

Seriously, it was a lot of fun just building the population of your plaza and filling in the map of people you've met. Sucks that the portable Switch doesn't do this. Seems like they've compromised so much that it's not a good portable or home console, just something in the middle that does everything just OK.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miiverse getting axed has something to do with non-resistive touch screen that everyone wanted. Well guess what, you can't draw on that, and Nintendo's idea of Miiverse was drawings. Surprise.

The bolded is so obviously untrue that it's making me think that this post is satire.

Miiverse is a shame. Streetpass was a thing that only made sense in Japan, and given how this is more of a console than a handheld it makes sense to scrap that.

Nightbird

Wait, what?

Haha, yeah that was an actual thing!

Jim Sterling was bored with the Rabbids Land community, and quickly decided to start posting Dafoe drawings.

It seems people had fun with it

dafoe.jpg

There was a Thread here on Gaf, but sadly every image expect the one quoted above is dead :/

Azuran

Banned
Miiverse was garbage considering I always ended up reposting everything on Twitter where I actually have an audience so whatever, but no Streepass is a travesty.

Conventions won't be as fun anymore.

Regiruler

Guess they don't want Miiverse or Streetpass hog up necessary memory and CPU resources or they don't want it to use up that much juice?

Miiverse has always been an application and it's not like it's doing anything until you boot it up. Yes, with this type of implementation there would still be load times but it wouldn't be a leap backwards.
Miiverse was garbage considering I always ended up reposting everything on Twitter where I actually have an audience so whatever, but no Streepass is a travesty.

Conventions won't be as fun anymore.

When were you able to get a legitimate answer from posting into the nether on twitter?

Ansatz

I wouldn't be surprised if Miiverse getting axed has something to do with non-resistive touch screen that everyone wanted. Well guess what, you can't draw on that, and Nintendo's idea of Miiverse was drawings. Surprise.

Exactly. Nintendo has changed, too many compromises are taking place these days. Capacitive touch screen was one of the few things I was wrong about when it came to Switch predictions, partially because I thought they wanted to maintain Miiverse. Guess what? No Mario Maker at the conference either, I wonder why?! Also playing Splatoon without the gamepad?? What are they thinking. I suppose mobile game compatilibity is the priority now.

Jeels

Never cared for Miiverse but I was a huge fan of street pass. Would take my 3DS to every big convention, vacations, etc. Hopefully they have something in a similar vein.

-MB-

I kind of expected that considering the insider rumors I kept hearing and the lack of them in spec docs. I wonder what's replacing them.

It'll continue inside the paid smartphone app maybe? Then you don't need your switch on you to connect to other Switch owners.

The only 3ds game my wife plays are those little streetpass games, she actually BOUGHT all of them after I set up home pass on our home router (i just wanted extra crap for mario and zelda). She loves that stuff and even takes her 3DS for her morning walks with her friend so she can get 10 coins and buy stuff in game.

Kinda good news tbh, she can just continue on with her 3ds and won't care about the switch at all.

foltzie1

No Streetpass I get (its fun games were marred by its clunky concept), but no Miiverse?

I mean, heck may the screen shots Miiverse links that get posted to other types of social media.

They weren't necessary, but I liked them a lot. Seeing people who I streetpass with and then playing games with their avatars. How the miiverse community reacted after Iwata passed away in splatoon was nice.

Streetpasses pretty never happen unless you take public transportation a lot. And even then 3DS' weren't that common there.

You go to conventions and then spend your entire day emptying out your streetpasses.

Top Bottom