• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

SickBoy said:
Word is that Telus is moving into GSM, but obviously there's a lot of infrastructure involved, so that wouldn't be until late 2009 at best. But by the time they do (if they do), the landscape of mobile devices is going to look a whole lot different, so presumably something will have to give with pricing.
Telus and Bell have been issuing idle threats about directly competing with Rogers for the GSM market for years, they never follow through on them, and now it seems like it's all "too little, too late". Telus and Bell's only hope to compete with a new name that's willing to undercut all of them is through more features, like bulking up their own network with things like what you find on Japan's CDMA-based networks.

King_Slender said:
I think the App store is going to make jailbreaking a moot point - unless the reigns are too tight for devs to get things on the store. I just hope there is a way to load apps outside of the store (or 'import app for install') because I'm sure certain apps like the Sirius radio one would not be allowed because of trademark issues.

Okay, sure, but what about unlocking? I was under the impression that unlocking and jailbreaking were one and the same. Is this not the case? Can I unlock a 1.x firmware iPhone, and use the stock features? Has the loophole that allowed THAT to happen been found in the Beta 2.0 firmware? I have no problem using the App Store, and not jailbreaking, I would just rather stick with T-Mobile.

SuperPac

Battlezone said:
Okay, sure, but what about unlocking? I was under the impression that unlocking and jailbreaking were one and the same. Is this not the case? Can I unlock a 1.x firmware iPhone, and use the stock features? Has the loophole that allowed THAT to happen been found in the Beta 2.0 firmware? I have no problem using the App Store, and not jailbreaking, I would just rather stick with T-Mobile.

Unlocking refers to the process of modifying the phone so you can use it with a carrier other than the intended one. As far as I know this does not necessarily mean jailbreaking it.

Jailbreaking the phone allows you to bypass Apple's security measures to allow third party applications to be stored on and run by the phone.

Even when you unlock I believe there are some features you won't be able to use... visual voicemail is one of those. It's unclear when or how quickly phones with the 2.0 software will be jailbroken or unlocked.

Futureman

Using an iPhone/Touch as an iTunes remote sounds sweet.

Last night I had my iMac set up in the living room hooked up to the stereo and my friends were so impressed with how nice/easy to use it was. They really liked Front Row. I can only imagine how blown away they'd be if I was remotely controlling the music with a Touch.

mrbagdt

i have never had an iphone before and i am reading the included accessories...... do these not come with a AC charger to plug in your wall?

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
mrbagdt said:
i have never had an iphone before and i am reading the included accessories...... do these not come with a AC charger to plug in your wall?
Whoops, it does, but the new AC adapter looks half-assed.

$h@d0w

WTF? I thought it was just missing the dock.

In the box

iPhone 3G
Stereo Headset with mic
Dock Connector to USB Cable
USB Power Adapter
Documentation
Cleaning/polishing cloth
SIM eject tool

power adapter inc.

SuperPac

Upgrading to the 3G is becoming ever-more expensive. You have to pay for the accessories pack that used to come with the phone, AT&T is charging an $18 "upgrade fee" even if you have an old unsubsidized iPhone, they're charging $5 more for their SMS plans, and the data plan is $10 more a month.

I'm not sure if I'll bother upgrading right away anymore... that's kinda pricey.
I probably still will, damn you Apple.

Jel0man

AT&T announces iPhone 3G pricing plans

Finally, a piece of news we can actually do something with. AT&T today announced its pricing structure for the next iteration of Apple's iPhone -- which you can plunk down money for come 8 am, July 11th. There's not much that's surprising here -- new customers and those eligible for an upgrade will be able to nab the phone for $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB), while "early upgraders" will have to fork over $399 or $499, all with a two year contract and $18 upgrade fee, of course. The telco says a no-commitment version of the phone will be available for $599 and $699, though it looks like that will come after the initial launch. AT&T appears to be leaning pretty heavily towards the all-in unlimited plans, but there are options if you don't want to go that route. We've sorted out the basics after the break, and included AT&T's "iReady" video -- certainly good for a few chuckles.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/atandt-announces-iphone-3g-pricing-plans/

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If I had to rely on the App store alone I wouldn't have cool tweaks like the T-Mobile color logo. Here's a screenshot (another tweak) of my 'fun page' of apps, notice the logo in the upper left.

iphoneface.jpg

I'm glad to be able to have both soon, Super Monkey Ball is mine!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
No way I'm paying $400. Apple/AT&T can kiss my grits!

Oops... Looks like I'm eligible.

Jel0man

Dutch T-Mobile prices:

€ 29,95 per month (150 minutes, 150 text messages,
Visual Voicemail and unlimited superfast internet in the Netherlands)
8GB iPhone: € 79,95 / 16GB iPhone: € 159,95

€ 44,95 per month (300 minutes, 300 text messages,
8GB iPhone: € 1,00 / 16GB iPhone: € 79,95

€ 64,95 per month (500 minutes, 500 text messages,
8GB iPhone: € 1,00 / 16GB iPhone: € 19,95

http://webwereld.nl/articles/51706/nederlandse-iphone-vanaf---n-euro.html

aparisi2274

Man what a difference 3 weeks makes.

When Jobs announced the new 3G I was all over it. I couldnt wait... Then all the info started coming out about the new plans and upgrades...

Right now I pay about $83 a month for the 450min plan with 1500 txt messages and unlimited data...

If I wanted to go to the 3G, I have to pay the $18 upgrade fee (WTF!?!?!?), another $10per month for my plan and the 1500 txt messages are now $15.

you know, I think I am going to pass since I am not that hard up for 3G speed, since I am not really surfing the net all that much on my phone... and since my current phone does everything this new one will with the exception of the 3G, I am out!!!

Thanks AT&T for leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

DaCocoBrova

I'm not too enthused (never was really), but I'm gonna cop regardless. What bothers me most is the inability to re-sell the thing since you have to go through ATT to activate it instead of using iTunes like before. You can't jump between the two by just changing out the SIM.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ouch at the 599 and 699 regular cost of the phone.

There go my hopes of finding one with a cancelled plan as prices for the phones themselves will probably sell for a hefty premium.

Yeah I would have fronted $200 for an upgrade from my current iphone but no way am I giving them another $500. I just got mine in February.

aparisi2274 said:
Thanks AT&T for leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Couldn't say it better than this.

bionic77

So is it $45/month to access MS Exchange?

I don't see what the extra charge will be for as I can already access it for free from most computers anyways.

mrbagdt

i have been holding off on getting a new phone for awhile and was trying to decide if i wanted to get this new iphone since the cost has come down a lot. i use tmobile now and have an old samsung, and my plan is $50 a month and i never go over. i dont have any of the cool things like internet or gps, but it works.

the cost of a plan with this iphone, tho, really gets up there. why do you have to pay for text messages when you have unlimited internet? that seems kind of silly.

the only other option i have been looking at is to stay with tmobile and get a blackberry curve, but they dont seem as functional or fun as an iphone. tmobile doesnt have any cool phones that i can find :'(

for those that have an iphone- do you guys think it is worth it?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Damn, the recent posts sound like the Sprint message boards before the Instinct came out. Alot of disappointment from existing customers. Thank goodness you can port numbers nowadays.

I am going to move to AT&T next week and getting a 3G. Going to be sweet. The plans are not much different than Sprint plans.

DaCocoBrova

I wonder if the browser is still prone to crashing while loading image-intensive pages...?

Wait, so the iPhone plans cost a 100$ USD a month? D:

Also, Apple is tied to AT&T for 5 years? D:

Shit, that sucks! Only way I could afford an iPhone would be if the plans were something in the neighborhood of 50$ or so. : (

border

So the cheapest possible rate you end up paying is $75/month? :( Probably some random fees and taxes that go along with that as well.

Getting an unlocked 1st gen phone is sounding like a better and better idea, but then I guess I'd miss out on the whole iPhone experience (3G, GPS, internet anywhere). It'd just be an iPod with a phone inside it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
border said:
So the cheapest possible rate you end up paying is $75/month? :( Probably some random fees and taxes that go along with that as well.

Getting an unlocked 1st gen phone is sounding like a better and better idea, but then I guess I'd miss out on the whole iPhone experience (3G, GPS, internet anywhere). It'd just be an iPod with a phone inside it.
It's so much more than that.
1st gen phones are still nothing to scoff at.

aparisi2274

I would have been more than happy to pay an unsubsidized price and keep all my current pricing in place.

Either way, I am going to pass on the 3G. Having a slightly faster loading time on webpages is not worth all these new fees.

As long as I can run the apps from the appstore and what not, I am happy with my current EDGE phone

border

dallow_bg said:
It's so much more than that.
1st gen phones are still nothing to scoff at.
Well, if it was unlocked and on my T-Mobile prepaid plan I wouldn't have the Visual Voicemail or any kind of web access. And I might not even have iTunes applications, since who knows if the 2.0 Firmware will be capable of being unlocked.

But then again, I wouldn't be coughing up nearly a hundred dollars every month for service.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
border said:
Well, if it was unlocked and on my T-Mobile prepaid plan I wouldn't have the Visual Voicemail or any kind of web access. And I might not even have iTunes applications, since who knows if the 2.0 Firmware will be capable of being unlocked.

But then again, I wouldn't be coughing up nearly a hundred dollars every month for service.
$5.99 T-Zones plan for unlimited internet.
That's what I do. It's glorious.

I'm ok with no visual voicemail for that cheap price.
Loading Google on T-Zones takes just a few seconds.
I use wifi at home (or in hotspots).

border

dallow_bg said:
$5.99 T-Zones plan for unlimited internet.
That's what I do. It's glorious.

I'm ok with no visual voicemail for that cheap price.
Loading Google on T-Zones takes just a few seconds.
I use wifi at home (or in hotspots).
Can you sign up for the $5.99 unlimited plan if your account is Pay As You Go? I'm not sure how that would work.

I've only screwed around with T-Zones once on my phone, but it seemed excruciatingly slow.

Couple of things. First, is it worth getting the Apple Care for the iPhone? Second, is there any way to convince them to do the 550 min Family Plan on an iPhone? My wife will go for it if they can do that because then it's only $10 more than what our combine total would be otherwise. If not, she'll stick with Sprint. Is there any way to convince them that we're throwing them more money by allowing us to use the other Family Plan?

SickBoy

So what sort of fees usually pop up on an AT&T bill? Because I've got to admit, from north of the border, those plans don't look half bad when you consider the crap that starts up here at over $70 after fees and taxes.

Not saying they don't suck... just that they don't suck relatively speaking :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
border said:
Can you sign up for the $5.99 unlimited plan if your account is Pay As You Go? I'm not sure how that would work.

I've only screwed around with T-Zones once on my phone, but it seemed excruciatingly slow.
It's awful on regular phones.

I was in the store yesterday browsing IMDB trying decide on what movies to buy yesterday just fine with the iPhone though.

Hehe, I've no idea how it works with Pay as You Go plans though. Sorry.

Oh ya, another question, are Apple stores opening early on that day because I believe they don't normally open at 10. Or will AT&T stores open at 10 while Apple stores open at regular hours?

aparisi2274

Marty Chinn said:
Oh ya, another question, are Apple stores opening early on that day because I believe they don't normally open at 10. Or will AT&T stores open at 10 while Apple stores open at regular hours?

they officially go on sale at 8am on July 11th. So most stores if not all, will be opening at 8am that day

Err I meant 8 because Apple stores open at 10. I was wondering because the couple I'm close to are in a mall so I wasn't sure if they'd be opening early or not.

aparisi2274

Marty Chinn said:
Err I meant 8 because Apple stores open at 10. I was wondering because the couple I'm close to are in a mall so I wasn't sure if they'd be opening early or not.

I am assuming that the stores in the mall will open at 8am...

Think of it like a midnight launch of a game... They will just open at 8am instead... If you arent sure, go to the store and ask them... I am sure they already know the deal...

Geoff9920

Just now saw the final rate plans. :-\ Not including SMS after raising the price 10 bucks? No thank you, I think I'll be replacing my current phone with something else now.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
well I'd get one except at&t doesn't have 3g coverage in my area...not worth the upgrade solely for GPS at this time

Slayven

dallow_bg said:
If I had to rely on the App store alone I wouldn't have cool tweaks like the T-Mobile color logo. Here's a screenshot (another tweak) of my 'fun page' of apps, notice the logo in the upper left.

iphoneface.jpg

I'm glad to be able to have both soon, Super Monkey Ball is mine!
how risky is jailbreaking?

Seth C

As someone who has never used an iPhone, can someone explain to me how it handles text messages? Obviously it is a touch based on screen keyboard, but is it T9 or QWERTY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom