• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth C said:
As someone who has never used an iPhone, can someone explain to me how it handles text messages? Obviously it is a touch based on screen keyboard, but is it T9 or QWERTY?

QWERTY, with it's own built-in word suggestion.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Seeing as an 8GB 1st gen can still fetch £250+ on eBay, I'm giving some serious thought to unlock mine and list it. The only thing stopping me is will O2 need to see the phone when upgrading or do I just need my sim?

border

What's the point of the no-contract iPhone anyway? If AT&T is the only carrier that will support the phones, then you might as well sign on for a contract, right?

TheWolf

Banned
apparently i'm not eligible for an upgrade even though i've been an at&t customer for years and never missed a payment...

Since July 11 is a Friday, I'll be at work. Do you guys think I'll be able to go to an AT&T store during my lunch and grab one if I'm a new customer signing a new contract?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
krypt0nian said:
Yeah I would have fronted $200 for an upgrade from my current iphone but no way am I giving them another $500. I just got mine in February.

Couldn't say it better than this.
Check your account info for AT&T. You should be eligible for the upgrade.
discount upgrade eligibility includes
- iPhone customers who purchased before July 11
- Customers activating a new line with AT&T
- Current AT&T customers who are eligible, at the time of purchase, for an upgrade discount. So unless you had previously short cycled an existing 2 year contract to buy the first iPhone, and that has not yet expired, you should be okay. Check your account online.

TheWolf said:
apparently i'm not eligible for an upgrade even though i've been an at&t customer for years and never missed a payment...
That criteria is not what discount eligible upgrades have ever been based on. ever.

TheWolf said:
it's been up, but i've still been paying them every month. :lol
How long has it been "up" for? what was the length of the original contract?

TheWolf

Banned
scola said:
That criteria is not what discount eligible upgrades have ever been based on. ever.

well, according to the guy in the video it has to do with the amount of time left on the contract and payment history. so i guess even though i fulfilled my contract terms and haven't missed a payment ever i'm shit out of luck?

i believe it was a 2 year contract and it has been up for a year since i was waiting for the 3G to get a new two year contract.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
TheWolf said:
well, according to the guy in the video it has to do with the amount of time left on the contract and payment history. so i guess even though i fulfilled my contract terms and haven't missed a payment ever i'm shit out of luck?

i believe it was a 2 year contract and it has been up for a year since i was waiting for the 3G to get a new two year contract.
Then you should be eligible.
check your account online. you are looking for something like this.
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/07/01/104157-upgrade.jpg (from macrumors)
call if that isn't the case because the scenario you describe sounds like something that should be eligible.

EDIT: I guess I should ask if you have had the same phone since originally starting the contract 2ish years ago?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That is something you should raise a fuss over.

sorry for misinterpreting your original post. I somehow assumed you were still within a 2 year window of having a previous equipment discount.

Seth C

Oh, one more question. I am use to The Helio Ocean, which has some kind of Push support (or pull, or whatever...it works) for GMail. Basically, when I receive a new Gmail message I receive a pop-up notification of it on my phone and can read the e-mail. Does iPhone have anything similar? Would I have to pay for MobileMe to make that work?

goodcow

I have Verizon and love them, but after using the Touch for a few months, I really want an iPhone.

However, the $5 200 SMS charge is really pissing me off because of the principle of it. If I'm paying $30 for data, how can they charge for SMS?

If I go into an AT&T store after the launch hype dies down, what are the odds I'll be able to haggle with them to get 200 SMS free for a two-year contract based on me switching from Verizon?

eznark

Banned
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

so current iphone owners are getting screwed if not "upgrade eligible?

f you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB.

fuck that

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

so current iphone owners are getting screwed if not "upgrade eligible?

fuck that
we already covered this. Most iPhone owners are upgrade eligible. The original iPhone did not count as a subsidized handset. Though some may be ineligible if they jumped from a subsidized handset to the iPhone and two years had not passed since the original subsidization.

I am sure some people signed a new contract with a non-iphone, got it for "free," then turned around and got a g1 iphone and sold the other to self subsidize. If they did that then the are probably SOL, and should be SOL according to the terms of their contracts.

eznark

Banned
sorry, I just couldn't get myself to go through 120 pages and find out if it had been covered.

I did check and see that I was upgrade eligible but the wording of the FAQ seemed poor, if all iphone owners are eligible for the discount.

Seth C said:
Oh, one more question. I am use to The Helio Ocean, which has some kind of Push support (or pull, or whatever...it works) for GMail. Basically, when I receive a new Gmail message I receive a pop-up notification of it on my phone and can read the e-mail. Does iPhone have anything similar? Would I have to pay for MobileMe to make that work?

Push Gmail isn't supported on iPhone, but IMAP Gmail is. You could just set it to check every 5 minutes and it would be nearly-constantly checking your mail. If you want Push you'd have to use Yahoo (they're still doing Push for iPhone right?), hook up to an Exchange Network, or sign up for MobileMe. I think those are the only 3 Push providers on iPhone.

StrikerObi said:
Push Gmail isn't supported on iPhone, but IMAP Gmail is. You could just set it to check every 5 minutes and it would be nearly-constantly checking your mail. If you want Push you'd have to use Yahoo (they're still doing Push for iPhone right?), hook up to an Exchange Network, or sign up for MobileMe. I think those are the only 3 Push providers on iPhone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gmail go push soon, with Apple's notification service for apps on the horizon.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Slayven said:
how risky is jailbreaking?
Not risky at all.

Took 45 seconds after getting it updated to 1.1.4.
You just plug in, run program, and done. Tons of guides available, I recommend using iLiberty+.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Superblatt said:
Since July 11 is a Friday, I'll be at work. Do you guys think I'll be able to go to an AT&T store during my lunch and grab one if I'm a new customer signing a new contract?

I am hoping it won't be packed Friday morning. But I know it will be. I think by lunch time the crowd would have died down.

Vyer

scola said:
we already covered this. Most iPhone owners are upgrade eligible. The original iPhone did not count as a subsidized handset. Though some may be ineligible if they jumped from a subsidized handset to the iPhone and two years had not passed since the original subsidization.

Sorry, but, if I'm understanding you correctly; if you were still under an ATT 2-year contract when you bought the original iPhone (since IIRC you could do so with the original without being 'eligible'), that counts as jumping from a 'subsidized handset'?

Because if so, I think that probably happened with a lot of people.

Jel0man

Scotch said:
I was pleasantly surprised, until I learned that T-Mobile charges an extra €52,50 to activate the phone. Fuck that.

That 50 might just be a dealbreaker for me, it just sounds stupid to charge that much just to activate a phone. I'm Dutch, and proud of it, and I don't want to be ripped off.

Juice

PotatoeMasher said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gmail go push soon, with Apple's notification service for apps on the horizon.

If not, it'd be likely you'll see a third-party e-mail app that does nothing but check your account(s) for you and push notifications down.

Costanza

Banned
Are we expecting huge lines again on the 11th at AT&T stores? Last time I went about 4 hours early and was like 9th in line... so I'm not really sure when to go this time. Probably 6 AM since I need sleep.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
border said:
So the cheapest possible rate you end up paying is $75/month? :( Probably some random fees and taxes that go along with that as well.

Getting an unlocked 1st gen phone is sounding like a better and better idea, but then I guess I'd miss out on the whole iPhone experience (3G, GPS, internet anywhere). It'd just be an iPod with a phone inside it.

Since when was 3G and GPS part of the 'iPhone experience'?

This sucks. I was planning on getting an iPhone 3G for my fiancee but she's not upgrade eligible. Does anyone know if I can buy it for myself (I have an iPhone and I'm eligible for the 3G) and then somehow transfer one of the phones to her?

SuperPac

Costanza said:
Are we expecting huge lines again on the 11th at AT&T stores? Last time I went about 4 hours early and was like 9th in line... so I'm not really sure when to go this time. Probably 6 AM since I need sleep.

Screw lining up. I'm thinking (hoping?) this will be like last year and supply will be such that you won't have to line up early just to get one. Plus, since you have to activate service at the point of purchase there won't be many buying just to throw on eBay.

Costanza

Banned
SuperPac said:
Screw lining up. I'm thinking (hoping?) this will be like last year and supply will be such that you won't have to line up early just to get one. Plus, since you have to activate service at the point of purchase there won't be many buying just to throw on eBay.
I don't know about your area, but they sold out widely around me last year. Good point about the Ebay thing, though.

Seth C

Do you think I'm better off showing up at an AT&T store next Friday, or going down to Houston to the Apple store?

dammitmattt said:
This sucks. I was planning on getting an iPhone 3G for my fiancee but she's not upgrade eligible. Does anyone know if I can buy it for myself (I have an iPhone and I'm eligible for the 3G) and then somehow transfer one of the phones to her?

You definitely can. AT&T even has a question on their FAQ about how to clean your iPhone of data to give it to pass it along to a friend after you upgrade to the 3G iPhone. So go get the upgrade, then just have them move her number over to your old iPhone.

Juice

SuperPac said:

Good point about eBay. This will be the first major "line-causing" launch since eBaying shit became popular [edit ]that would prevent being resold by liner-uppers[/edit]. This alone may drastically reduce day one demand.

Juice said:
Good point about eBay. This will be the first major "line-causing" launch since eBaying shit became popular. This alone may drastically reduce day one demand.

wait..what?

ps2, 360, wii, ps3

anyway, i stopped by this thread to boast about my new iPhone i just bought on sunday

kid bought it in april and it doesnt have a single scratch on it, everything looks brand new, $100

restored, upgraded to 1.1.4, and jailbroke, unlocked and activated through iLiberty+

i have been a pocket pc [windows mobile] supporter for a long time but my 8525 took a swim a few weeks back...i dont see myself going back to WM anytime soon

SuperPac

Juice said:
Good point about eBay. This will be the first major "line-causing" launch since eBaying shit became popular. This alone may drastically reduce day one demand.

I'm hoping. It'll be interesting to see what the in-store activation does to everything. I still love the video of the woman who bought a place in line last year expecting to buy out the store.

I wonder what the breakdown is going to be of people who want 8GB vs. 16GB, and those who want the white 16GB (is there a white 8GB?). Anyway, my initial thought is they're gonna have a crapload of phones to sell on the 11th. And when you take eBayers out of the equation it's only going to be better for everyone.

Juice

SuperPac said:
I'm hoping. It'll be interesting to see what the in-store activation does to everything. I still love the video of the woman who bought a place in line last year expecting to buy out the store.

I wonder what the breakdown is going to be of people who want 8GB vs. 16GB, and those who want the white 16GB (is there a white 8GB?). Anyway, my initial thought is they're gonna have a crapload of phones to sell on the 11th. And when you take eBayers out of the equation it's only going to be better for everyone.

Day 1 there will be a lot of stores that sell out of 16GB phones and with 8GB ones left on the shelf.

Chorazin

There is only one AT&T store selling them on the 11th in my area, and I live in a medium-size city. I'm gonna leave my apt at 3 am, pick up something to snack on, and wait at the AT&T store. I took off all of Friday so I can just go back to sleep when I get home.

SuperPac

Juice said:
Day 1 there will be a lot of stores that sell out of 16GB phones and with 8GB ones left on the shelf.

Among tech geeks, you're probably right. I think that $199 price is gonna be REAL attractive to your regular, Average Joes. But we'll see. I'd like to think they'll have enough of all the models to satisfy day one demand at least because deciding whether to buy one or not involves a couple factors...it's not just like buying any other shiny new piece of tech or toy because:

- You might already be locked into a contract with another carrier and it'd be expensive to break it.
- You might already have a subsidized AT&T phone and not be eligible for the lower price iPhone 3G. Or expensive to break that contract.
- You have to activate in-store (can't buy and hope for an unlock), which requires a credit check and all that.
- If you already have an iPhone, do you want to upgrade? The 3G plans are more expensive when really the only 2 new things you'd have over and above your current model are GPS and 3G speed.

AT&T Stores, I've no doubt they'll sell out (just like last year). Apple stores, I think, will have plenty and probably won't sell out of particular models until late in the day. Especially if they're still gonna limit it to 2 per customer (which is kinda silly, but still). They've gone almost 2 months without phones to sell and they have to have had production ramping up on the 3G model for a long time to do the worldwide launch on the 11th. I think they want to sell as many as they can, and they will.

I ain't lining up for this launch. If I can get a 16GB phone on launch day, fantastic. If not, I have the 2.0 software and a launch iPhone that's still awesome.

Chorazin

Apparently it's limited to one per person, not two. I'm gonna line up because I have tons of vacation time and nothing better to do.

Seth C

One last question (I think) before I bite the bullet Friday. How does iPhone handle MSN and AIM? Is there a convenient app that will leave me connected all the time? Would the nature of how it works (no push) kill the battery?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Not sure if this has been stated, but any iPhone user is eligible for the 199/299 tier of pricing, because the first phone was not subsidized.

Bionic77 said:
So is it $45/month to access MS Exchange?

I don't see what the extra charge will be for as I can already access it for free from most computers anyways.

No one really knows if ATT is going to go to the lengths of blocking Exchange traffic without the $45 plan. They charge it because they are able to (business users tend to consume more data is the standard line, which you cannot argue with I guess). I just don't see how they can sell business plans to people who want work email on a personal phone (This may or may not be a common industry practice, I really have no clue).

Juice

SuperPac said:
Among tech geeks, you're probably right.

Day 1 will be frothing demand for the 16GB.

Subsequent weeks and especially this fall, the 8GB will move very very briskly. But early adopters have always snatched up all the high capacity apple gadgets first.

Coop

Juice said:
Do you guys think I"ll be able to get a 16gb if I go around 9 or 10am?

bionic77

shantyman said:
Not sure if this has been stated, but any iPhone user is eligible for the 199/299 tier of pricing, because the first phone was not subsidized.

No one really knows if ATT is going to go to the lengths of blocking Exchange traffic without the $45 plan. They charge it because they are able to (business users tend to consume more data is the standard line, which you cannot argue with I guess). I just don't see how they can sell business plans to people who want work email on a personal phone (This may or may not be a common industry practice, I really have no clue).
Well I am supposed to pay more for exchange just on my plan but I put in my username and info into the phone and have received email and calender information without incurring any additional charges.

Hopefully it is the same with the iPhone. I won't line up for it though. I will drop by at 8am and take the morning off to play with it, but if it is sold out then screw it.

bionic77

Juice said:
Yeah, you should be able to stroll in and pick one up off the shelves Sunday afternoon.
This ain't the Wii.

And I am sure it depends a lot on where you live and how many units they get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom